• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Wii impressions from near-final build

Christopher

jarrod said:
Just to let everyone know who's developed what....

SEGA Studios USA (ie: Sonic Team USA)
-Sonic Adventure 2/Battle (DC/GC) 2001
-Sonic Heroes (GC/PS2/XB) 2003
-Shadow the Hedgehog (GC/PS2/XB) 2004
-Sonic the Hedgehog (360/PS3) 2006

SEGA General R&D Dept. 1 (ie: ex-UGA staff)
-Sonic Riders (GC/PS2/XB) 2005
-Sonic and the Secret Rings (Wii) 2007

Dimps Co. (ie: ex-SNK staff)
-Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure (NGPC) 2000
-Sonic Advance (GBA) 2001
-Sonic Advance 2 (GBA) 2002
-Sonic Advance 3 (GBA) 2004
-Sonic Rush (DS) 2005

Backbone Entertainment (ie: ex-Digital Eclipse staff)
-Sonic Rivals (PSP) 2006

The End Credits show the game has been developed by "General R&D Team #1" or something like that

...so it's the same team who developed Sonic 360/PS3?

jarrod said:
Just to let everyone know who's developed what....

-Sonic Adventure 2/Battle (DC/GC) 2001
-Sonic Heroes (GC/PS2/XB) 2003
-Shadow the Hedgehog (GC/PS2/XB) 2004

-Sonic Riders (GC/PS2/XB) 2005

Dimps Co. (ie: ex-SNK staff)
-Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure (NGPC) 2000
-Sonic Advance (GBA) 2001
-Sonic Advance 2 (GBA) 2002
-Sonic Advance 3 (GBA) 2004
-Sonic Rush (DS) 2005

Backbone Entertainment (ie: ex-Digital Eclipse staff)
-Sonic Rivals (PSP) 2006

Sudden Sonic Riders praising in 3, 2, 1... :)

Christopher

Zoramon089 said:
How the hell did you jump to that conclusion?!

um by this post:

The End Credits show the game has been developed by "General R&D Team #1" or something like that. The name of Yuji Naka is nowhere to be seen (but it's ok, he's in his new label now, doesn't he?), just like the Sonic Team, that is "credited" for the "creation" ("Created by") at the very end of the credits. In the game intro there's no sign of Sonic Team logo, and the same happens in the title screen and so on.
"Something's strange is happening, but you don't know what it is, Mr. Jones".

and matching to jarrod's it's not that hard to figure out. Jarrod lists Generald R&D Dept 1 as the people who are doing this game, the credits in the Sonic PS3/360 game show Generad R&D Team #1.

There's an air of apprehension from a lot of posters in this thread... and I feel the same way.

I think visually this actually looks like one of the better Wii games, but I get the sense it might be a deceptively silvery veneer, that is serving only to hide the game's inner shitness. It just looks too simple.

Haunted

jarrod said:

assuming the list is correct, Sonic 360/PS3 was made by a different team.

and btw, I haven't played Sonic Riders (seems to be a shitty Mario Kart clone), but I know that I <3 UGA. :D

I'm just hoping it's halfway decent and playable which I think it will be, I haven't seen anything to indicate it's going to be something really great.

Zave

Christopher said:
um by this post:

and matching to jarrod's it's not that hard to figure out. Jarrod lists Generald R&D Dept 1 as the people who are doing this game, the credits in the Sonic PS3/360 game show Generad R&D Team #1.
Nope, I was referring to the Sonic & The Secret Rings credits.

Zave

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
WAIT... tell me about the music. How do we know the music is bad? Is the music we hear in the trailers actual final music from the game?
Yep, that's the main theme. Every world has a different theme (of course), with some funny rock song and the really cool Evil Foundry song. Definitely way better than other recent Sonic games soundtracks.

jarrod

Banned
wazoo said:
so the team behind SA1 has not touched Sonic since ??
The team who developed SA1 split into Sonic Team USA (more Sonics) and Sonic Team Japan (PSO/U, Samba, Chu2, etc). Japan also oversaw the console Collections (Mega, Mega+, Gems) and SA1DX though.

Haunted_One said:
assuming the list is correct, Sonic 360/PS3 was made by a different team.
Yep. Just for further clarification, GE R&D1 = ex-UGA (plus some of Sonic Team's staff who made stuff like Chu2, Puyo Fever 1/2 and Sonic Pinball Party/Battle... combined they also made Feel the Magic/Rub Rabbits) and GE R&D3 = ex-Sonic Team Proper (ie: the PSO/PSU team... they're also doing Fifth Phantom Saga iirc).

Zave said:
Yep, that's the main theme. Every world has a different theme (of course), with some funny rock song and the really cool Evil Foundry song. Definitely way better than other recent Sonic games soundtracks.

I just watched IGN's videos. I do like the music, A LOT. Maybe not the main theme as much (I don't think anything can top the main theme for Sonic Heroes).

jarrod said:
The team who developed SA1 split into Sonic Team USA (more Sonics) and Sonic Team Japan (PSO/U, Samba, Chu2, etc). Japan also oversaw the console Collections (Mega, Mega+, Gems) and SA1DX though.

Yep. Just for further clarification, GE R&D1 = ex-UGA (plus some of Sonic Team's staff who made stuff like Chu2, Puyo Fever 1/2 and Sonic Pinball Party/Battle... combined they also made Feel the Magic/Rub Rabbits) and GE R&D3 = ex-Sonic Team Proper (ie: the PSO/PSU team... they're also doing Fifth Phantom Saga iirc).

looks like Sonic Team USA thought it was a good idea since SA2 to shove tons of forced extra characters un-sonic like gameplay down our throats.

I hope disciplanary mesures get taken place for what happened to Sonic PS360

Instigator said:
Sudden Sonic Riders praising in 3, 2, 1... :)
No, I don't think there will be any of that, but R&D1's quality seems to be on the upswing if anything. Sonic Team's quality has gotten worse with each new Sonic title they've done since SA2.

Sonic Team USA:
SA2 > Heroes >>>>> Shadow >> Riders >>>>>>>>>>>>>> PS360

downward spiral total. all hope are on the better half in Japan

allarise

I only played Sonic Riders (the racing game, right?) for a few minutes at a kiosk at toys r us. It was alright, but pretty tough from what I remember.

Well if the game is halfway fun to play then I think it's a definite pick-up for the 100-plus missions and multiplayer.

I'm starving for a wii game here.

jarrod

Banned
gutter_trash said:
Sonic Team USA:
SA2 > Heroes >>>>> Shadow >> Riders >>>>>>>>>>>>>> PS360

downward spiral total. all hope are on the better half in Japan
Riders was by Sonic Team Japan btw. Same team as Secret Rings mostly at that.

The first review for this game has happened:

Game On (channel 177 on Comcast Cable at 9 Pm Friday's) rated the game 92%, stating that this Sonic game reinvents the series with something new yet familiar, and is currently the second best game for the Wii (Twilight Princess is first).

Pros-
Fast, enjoyable gameplay
Tons of replay value
Good camera
Good controls that-once you get used to them-work with the game nicely
Story that is funny on purpose
Enjoyable Multiplayer
Japanese voices available

Cons-
English VA's
Annoying helper Shahra
Some level up powers seem like they should of been available from start

</copy/paste>

plank

^^
weird2.gif

plank

flipping_heck said:

Game On (channel 177 on Comcast Cable at 9 Pm Friday's) rated the game 92%, stating that this Sonic game reinvents the series with something new yet familiar, and is currently the second best game for the Wii (Twilight Princess is first).

Pros-
Fast, enjoyable gameplay
Tons of replay value
Good camera
Enjoyable Multiplayer

Cons-
English VA's
Annoying helper Shahra

</copy/paste>

You sure it wasn't just your imagination?

flipping_heck said:

Pros-
Fast, enjoyable gameplay
Tons of replay value
Good camera
Enjoyable Multiplayer

Cons-
English VA's
Annoying helper Shahra

</copy/paste>

Sounds good, although I don't really know if thats a trustworthy opinion.....although I wouldn't call IGN or Gamespot trustworthy either.

Furoba

flipping_heck said:

Pros-
Fast, enjoyable gameplay
Tons of replay value
Good camera
Enjoyable Multiplayer

Cons-
English VA's
Annoying helper Shahra

</copy/paste>

Sounds nice, especially if the 'good camera/good controls' bit holds up... I just might buy it.

Top Bottom