• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Wii impressions from near-final build

Didn't read the responses but I'm not expecting much from this title.

I think it will be much better than games like Sonic 360/PS3, Shadow, and possibly even Sonic Heroes but I don't expect it to be anything other than mediocre.

The trap will be the zealous Wii crowd who will gush over the game regardless, suckering many people to buying something mediocre.

Its best for people to wait a month or two after release to get the game.

i dont care about the party games
I only care about the main real single player game, as long as the single player is good, i will be happy

Xristot

The Experiment said:
Didn't read the responses but I'm not expecting much from this title.

I think it will be much better than games like Sonic 360/PS3, Shadow, and possibly even Sonic Heroes but I don't expect it to be anything other than mediocre.

The trap will be the zealous Wii crowd who will gush over the game regardless, suckering many people to buying something mediocre.

Its best for people to wait a month or two after release to get the game.

yeah it also sucks that the nintendo haters will hate this game even if does turn out to be a great sonic game, thereby keeping other unsure people from getting a potentially good game.

I'm not against waiting for reviews on a game. In fact I think it's the correct way to do things. But some of you guys think that somehow you know how a game is going to turn out before it's even released. Not only that, but your hating stance on the game really keeps you from ever enjoying the game, even in the rare circumstance that it's awesome.

I also have a suspicion that even if this game turns out to be better than the 360/ps3 sonic, many of you (Christopher for example) will still have bought the shitty next gen one over this. That's a damn shame.

.dmc

Banned
Looks like the mini-games are the same as every other mini-game collection on Wii, when do we get to see screens of the jump rope game? I'm definately interested in the title, but I don't know that I'll ever touch the minigames, especially after the SMB:BB debacle.

Xristot said:

Not really. As far as I know, the majority of people are hoping that this one will turn out decent. There's no gathering of people hoping this game will suck.

The Nintendo zealotry group overpowers the Nintendo haters any day of the week. A lot of hyped up games that were mediocre at best were considered "teh awesome." It was only a month or two afterwards that people began to see the game for what it is, not what it was hyped up to be.

All I'm suggesting is to wait out the fanboy fapping and bantering to see if the game is worth it or not.

Krowley

The Experiment said:
Not really. As far as I know, the majority of people are hoping that this one will turn out decent. There's no gathering of people hoping this game will suck.

The Nintendo zealotry group overpowers the Nintendo haters any day of the week. A lot of hyped up games that were mediocre at best were considered "teh awesome." It was only a month or two afterwards that people began to see the game for what it is, not what it was hyped up to be.

All I'm suggesting is to wait out the fanboy fapping and bantering to see if the game is worth it or not.

I think i'll just trust the review sites.. They are supposed to be above all that and usually, most of the reputable ones can be trusted to a certain extent..

Xristot said:
yeah it also sucks that the nintendo haters will hate this game even if does turn out to be a great sonic game, thereby keeping other unsure people from getting a potentially good game.

I'm not against waiting for reviews on a game. In fact I think it's the correct way to do things. But some of you guys think that somehow you know how a game is going to turn out before it's even released. Not only that, but your hating stance on the game really keeps you from ever enjoying the game, even in the rare circumstance that it's awesome.

I also have a suspicion that even if this game turns out to be better than the 360/ps3 sonic, many of you (Christopher for example) will still have bought the shitty next gen one over this. That's a damn shame.

Completely agree. Well said.

I think S&TSR has much more potential to be a good game than Shitty Friends did when the net was just watching previews of it. I am not getting my hopes up because it's still a Sonic Team game and they haven't made anything worthwhile since Samba De Amigo.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Project Rub/Rub Rabbits were kinda good in their genre!

I'll just say I hope the game will be good, for Sonic's sake.

I should have said that Sonic Team hadn't made anything worthwhile on a console other than Samba De Amigo.

One thing I like about Secrect Rings is that I haven't seen any slowdown or evidence of a choppy framerate. Sure, it could/should be 60fps, but I'll live.

Nash said:
Those party games smell of Bauhaus Entertainment, who did the Monkey Ball minigames on Banana Blitz.

And it doesn't smell good.

Oh my... who is Bauhaus Entertainment?

I didn't realize the minigames were outsourced.

But these days, who knows who actually develops what.

The names for those minigames are hillarious-in a bad way.
Go! Mine Cart Race
Whack! Giant Stakes
Oh well I don't care for the minigames, as long as the single player is good I will get this.
Btw, the violine minigame could be great.

Pud

Banned
Sonic Team Japan is doing this game (the director worked on Panzer Dragoon games and Project Rub on the DS, according to his 30000 interviews this week). Sonic Team USA did the Shitty Friends title. I have far more hope with this title than I have had for a Sonic game in the last decade, to be honest (aside from Rush). Minigames may indeed be outsourced (Sonic Team just concentrated on the single player component) so they may be throwaways. That said, however, perhaps Bauhaus (if they did them) has improved with their Wii coding skills with their second attempt at some party games?

Although we have to say, after playing this for about two hours it looks ten times better than Sonic 06 did

That's bullshit. Pure bullshit.

EverSoTrendy said:
Although we have to say, after playing this for about two hours it looks ten times better than Sonic 06 did

That's bullshit. Pure bullshit.

Darn right.

It's got to be at least 20 times better than Sonic '06 to be any good!

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:

Their name comes up in the Monkey Ball Wii credits.

They should never be allowed to develop anything again after what they did to Monkey Ball's multiplayer games. Doesn't really matter as much in Sonic, but if they are anything like the Monkey Ball ones (and it looks like it from that video) it will 'taint' the game as a whole. They were just horrible.

I will never understand how Sega, or Amusement Vision for that matter, allowed Monkey Ball's multiplayer games to be outsourced when it was such a popular and successful part of the game. That's Sega for you though I guess.

Pud

Banned
Step 1) Launch (Window) Rush for Wii
Step 2) Outsource minigames to finish game to make said rush
Step 3) ??????????
Step 4) Profit

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
From the Wii Screen Shot Thread (56k no)

Sonic and the Secret Rings

...and the obligatory mini-games. :|

scr_143.jpg
scr_144.jpg
scr_145.jpg
scr_146.jpg
scr_147.jpg
scr_148.jpg
scr_149.jpg
scr_150.jpg
scr_151.jpg
scr_152.jpg
scr_153.jpg
scr_154.jpg
scr_155.jpg
scr_156.jpg
scr_157.jpg
scr_158.jpg
scr_159.jpg
scr_160.jpg
scr_161.jpg
scr_162.jpg
scr_163.jpg
scr_164.jpg
scr_165.jpg
scr_166.jpg
scr_167.jpg

50921520070208_002327_10_big.jpg

thankfully, Sonic is his cartoon proportionned self. This is a huge plus. Cartoon proportionned Sonic FTW

unlike the humanised 360\PS3 trash

dyls

New preview at Gamespot. They seem cautiously optimistic.

Our sampling of levels and minigames showed much promise for the final game but, as always, we're curious to see how the experience holds up in the long haul. Still, the game makes a nice first impression and appears to recapture some of the charm lost in Sonic's most recent adventure.

Some good news:

The voice is touch on the underwhelming side but thankfully you can toggle several variations which include subtitles and Japanese voice.

Bad dialogue and acting never seem as objectionable in another language.

Sonic's visuals have come together nicely since we first saw the game. The two main levels we were familiar with, Sand Oasis and Dinosaur Jungle, featured added polish while the new areas showcased an equally sharp look and impressively fanciful designs. The game's controlled presentation allows the visuals to get an extra special bit of love resulting in smooth performance, a lush color palette, and inventive design that's interesting. Most importantly, the almost out-of-control sense of speed is always appreciated in a Sonic experience.

Deku said:
This is strange. My friends was describing to me how Sonic and Mario were huge rivals back in the day which I never really understood until I read Steven Kent's book. .

I am assuming you are no older than 13.

RaidenZR

I'm looking forward to playing this, since it looks like it's a somewhat concentrated effort into making a unique Wii game for a change. But why the **** are minigame modes the new Sound Test?

**** minigames. **** them to hell.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK, so do we have any word on the framerate of the final build? Is it still limited to 30 fps?

Also, do we have any music samples yet?

D-X

BlindN-Fan said:
I know this is gonna sound really lame. But the minigame graphics > In game.

Not that I agree with your statement the two were developed separately and because of the static nature of the mini games the arenas should look better because they're considerably smaller. But are you really gonna notice bad models/textures in the main game? - they're on the screen for all of 5 seconds.

jarrod

Banned
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:

Bauhaus also worked on Okami for Capcom/Clover and SEGA's Chamionpship Football arcade games evidently.

The mini-games do look suprisingly gorgeous. I'm not expecting much from them, but if their are 40 mini-games atleast a few of them should proove worthwhile distractions. As unlockables too, they'll give me something to look for in the main quest.

I totally can't wait for this game. I heard it has a TON of unlockables to get in the 100 or so levels. That is just insane, and if the game is even remotely fun (which it looks like) it looks like the replay value is there.

I think it will get high 8's if not 9's from most reviewers.....but I guess I'm just hopeful.

sonic1.jpg
21.jpg

this game will be so awesome.

Lobster

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
No it doesn't?

The textures in the main game (especially the grass) are blurry unlike the golf minigames grass.

I need more pics of islands like

21.jpg

and that pic was released when it was still called wildfire! imagine it now...I guess I just don't like how the stages they've been consistently showing look.

I think people need to remember that Sonic is running fast! F-zero GX didn't look that special in stills, but by god was it beautiful in motion.

.....I've almost come to learn that pics mean nothing. Animation, detail variety, and framerate are all too important of factors.

gutter_trash said:
50921520070208_002327_10_big.jpg

thankfully, Sonic is his cartoon proportionned self. This is a huge plus. Cartoon proportionned Sonic FTW

unlike the humanised 360\PS3 trash
Wow, that is a really nice Sonic model. They even made him slightly chubby like on Genesis. Awesome.

Top Bottom