• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Wii impressions from near-final build

landfarer

farnham said:
hey

sonic 06 had the cool princess

what was her name again..:lol :lol :lol

There's only been one cool princess in Sonic, and her name is Sally. Not that other trash.

Well at least this game sounds like it'll be playable. I just want a Sonic game I can play with a smile on my face again. I haven't been able to do that for at least 6 years now.

No6

landfarer said:
Well at least this game sounds like it'll be playable.
Yeah, but that's about it. "Not as terrible as Sonic 360/PS3" isn't exactly glowing praise.

SonicMegaDrive said:
Really.

Ten times the quality of Sonic '06 really isn't saying much. That's still only like...a 5 out of 10. :D

Wrong.

0(x) = 0. GODDAMN SOMEBODY BEAT ME TO IT

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this game very much. It will probably be the first console Sonic game in years worth renting.

Lapsed

Banned
Deku said:
This is strange. My friends was describing to me how Sonic and Mario were huge rivals back in the day which I never really understood until I read Steven Kent's book.

They were very big rivals in America (not sure where you are from). Kalinske's marketing was so effective that early SNES owners wouldn't admit they owned a SNES in public (that was how 'cool' Sega had become). Bonk was also considered 'cool' as he was the third rival mascot. Sonic Mega Collection moved over a million (or more?) on the Gamecube due, in part, to the huge rivalry. If Hudson brought Bonk back, he would be a huge seller on Nintendo systems for similiar reasons (hint, hint, Hudson!).

Many old school gamers are downloading Mario, Sonic, and Bonk on the VC just to have them aside one another. Then, they usually end up laughing maniacally. Who would have thought then that the three rivals would be at one place (let alone Nintendo's) fifteen years later!? Look at it this way. Imagine you went lapsed and came back to console gaming after fifteen to twenty years of going away. You discover that on the Super Virtual Console (or whatever they call it then) you can download the Marios, Halo, and God of War. You'd think, "What the ****!?" and download them laughing while thinking of the silly rivalry of 'today' (of so long ago).

If Sonic makes it to Super Smash Brothers: Brawl, everyone will be pitting Sonic vs. Mario the first thing they do. Bonk would make a great addition as well.

Anyway, here's hoping Secret Rings will be good. When playing the old Sonic games, it felt like the charm was in Sonic's simplified techniques (you only needed one button) but the world surrounding him was gorgeous and felt alive. My fear is that the music in Secret Rings will suck (which means the game will then suck) and that we won't be able to turn off the awful voice acting (seriously, wtf is with the voice acting? Mario and Sonic were 'cool' before they got voice actors).

AniHawk said:
And the bosses are terrible.

It seems like every person but me hates the bosses in Banana Blitz. I'm only on the 7th world but the one's I've played so far haven't been that bad. In fact, I thought the boss in the desert-themed world was downright awesome. What's everyone's issue with them anyway, all I ever hear anyone say is that they suck.

On topic, I hope the mini-games in Sonic are better than the ones in BB. 2/3 of them are just awful.

gutter_trash said:
I'm ready for Sonic & The Secret Rings, and since it is not the same team that worked on Sonic and Shitty Friends next gen, I'm confident that Sonic Wii will be really good.

Same here, after the torture I have been putting myself through this week, Sonic and the secret rings better make up for it.

I've been looking forward to this game for sooo long. I'm glad to see that it is receiving some great press. It really is about time that a GOOD 3D Sonic game came out. Hopefully this means that the future of our blue friend will be something to look forward to.

ziran

i'd like something new but i'm still not sure about this. what's putting me off is how much control you have in the game. i enjoy on rail shooters, but that's because there's great fun in the shooting. in sonic it just looks like you do a bit of steering and a bit of fighting, which might end up feeling too automatic.

i'm optimistic though, hopefully it'll be good.

Bo130

DigitalA1chemy said:
It seems like every person but me hates the bosses in Banana Blitz. I'm only on the 7th world but the one's I've played so far haven't been that bad. In fact, I thought the boss in the desert-themed world was downright awesome. What's everyone's issue with them anyway, all I ever hear anyone say is that they suck.

That makes us two. I actually expected to hate them, but I was pleasantly surprised and they were very well presented, IMO :). Some of them had a bit to much of luck in them, but others were just great.

On-topic: I'm getting more and more excited for this game. Look awesome every time I see it :D Can't wait ^_^

Ike

PissBOX, PeeS2, or Toiletcube
My hype keeps on building for this title. Hopefully that hype is achieved on the 20th.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Deku said:
This is strange. My friends was describing to me how Sonic and Mario were huge rivals back in the day which I never really understood until I read Steven Kent's book. But anyways if this game does turn out to be decent, its going to be strange having a Nintendo platform be home to 2 exclusive platformers one Sonic one Mario in one year (assuming Galaxy doesn't get delayed)

Ok that's a lot of assumptions but it's going to fun and one for the history books if it all works out.

SOOOoooo, I just realized I'm old. And by old I mean, not a 15 year old.

Linkup

Lapsed said:
Anyway, here's hoping Secret Rings will be good. When playing the old Sonic games, it felt like the charm was in Sonic's simplified techniques (you only needed one button) but the world surrounding him was gorgeous and felt alive. My fear is that the music in Secret Rings will suck (which means the game will then suck) and that we won't be able to turn off the awful voice acting (seriously, wtf is with the voice acting? Mario and Sonic were 'cool' before they got voice actors).

Seems like the voice acting should be ok coming from the impression. The music so far has been decent.

The space stage sounds sweet, can't remember if I've seen it before.

KINGMOKU

I'm getting an "average" vibe from this game, but those who remember the golden years of Sonic will barf.

It will be hailed as Sonics return, but in comparing it to recent Sonic Fair, it will pump up its score unfairly.

If it does turn out to be an actually, honest to god, good Sonic game, I'll faint. Like one of those goats.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I'm still not convinced that this game will have staying power. I hope I'm wrong, but I haven't seen anything yet that's truly convinced me that this game is going to be the Sonic game that brings them back.

The homing-style attacks are really what's killing it for me.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Damn that Feb 20 week. Crackdown, Sonic, NBA Street. Im gonna be dead broke and not have the time to play everything i want to :(

Ike

PissBOX, PeeS2, or Toiletcube
ColdBlooded33 said:
Damn that Feb 20 week. Crackdown, Sonic, NBA Street. Im gonna be dead broke and not have the time to play everything i want to :(
I'm even worse. I still have a backlog of DS, PS2, and 360 games I need to buy. My wallet is getting owned. :(

I think they said 12 stages each for 8 levels

I think its bullshit

Probably 12 different missions among three stages for eight levels.

Haunted

Probationsmack said:
What was the point of this post?
What was the point of MY post responding to your post?
That's deep, man.

190px-Thinker.png

moku said:
I'm getting an "average" vibe from this game, but those who remember the golden years of Sonic will barf.

It will be hailed as Sonics return, but in comparing it to recent Sonic Fair, it will pump up its score unfairly.

If it does turn out to be an actually, honest to god, good Sonic game, I'll faint. Like one of those goats.

I predict a similar reaction to Sonic Rush: overhype followed by muted disappointment and downgraded appreciation. A few diehard will still claim it's the best Sonic since whatever while others will accuse the Sega fans for having overhyped the game in threads such as this one. Many will still claim it's better than Sonic 6, as if it means anything.

Just my two
RingSmallAni.gif

Probationsmack said:
I think they said 12 stages each for 8 levels

I think its bullshit

Probably 12 different missions among three stages for eight levels.
for what it's worth we've seen four environments at this point. spacey glassy place. arabian nights stuff. dinosaur jungle stuff. spooky pirate stuff.

Pfft. EVERY new Sonic game, every single Sonic game that has come out since SA2 has been hailed as 'A return to Sonic's routes'. It's never going to happen, stop dreaming.

[Nintex]

plagiarize said:
for what it's worth we've seen four environments at this point. spacey glassy place. arabian nights stuff. dinosaur jungle stuff. spooky pirate stuff.
Make that 5,

The pirate sea level
Evil Foundry (from IGN)
Arabian/desert level
Jungle level
Space level

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
AniHawk said:
On February 21, Sega will be born again.

Welcome back, guys.

okay, so it's just two games. BUT STILL

What's the other game?

It'll be pretty funny if Sonic Wii doesn't turn out to be good, then the first good game Sonic has appeared in in years is actually a Nintendo game.
SSBB

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Oblivion said:
What's the other game?

It'll be pretty funny if Sonic Wii doesn't turn out to be good, then the first good game Sonic has appeared in in years is actually a Nintendo game.
SSBB
Including Sonic would drag down the quality of SSBB.

terrene

Banned
Scullibundo said:
Pfft. EVERY new Sonic game, every single Sonic game that has come out since SA2 has been hailed as 'A return to Sonic's routes'. It's never going to happen, stop dreaming.
:lol

USA_Interstates.jpg

Top Bottom