• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Wii impressions from near-final build

Lobster

Banned
sonicscreencapsdv4.png

sonicscreencaps2an8.png

sonicscreencaps3ab0.png

sonicscreencaps4hj3.png

sonicscreencaps5md1.png

Branduil

Okay, those 480p videos make the game look a lot nice than the screenshots. Although the lack of 60fps still hurts. And being able to choose different voice options is nice.

Branduil said:
Okay, those 480p videos make the game look a lot nice than the screenshots. Although the lack of 60fps still hurts. And being able to choose different voice options is nice.

Can you choose the Japanese voice-overs?

plank

The videos look nice but the camera seems a bit wonky at times, especially when you do homing attacks on enemies. Also its sort of bothersome to see the camera pan out when you run through certain areas of your path, such as going in loops or up and down a wall. The camera should be behind you all of the time.

Pud

Banned
plank said:
The videos look nice but the camera seems a bit wonky at times, especially when you do homing attacks on enemies. Also its sort of bothersome to see the camera pan out when you run through certain areas of your path, such as going in loops or up and down a wall. The camera should be behind you all the time.

Wait, wasn't that part of the problem with that PS3/360 game?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
CurseoftheGods said:
Can you choose the Japanese voice-overs?

This game suddenly got a whole lot more interesting.

And no, I don't speak Japanese.

Just watched the Sky video, looks hot but there didn't seem to be actually any game to be played. Unless you can fall off the track and it's a rock hard balancing act, which would be win of final cup of FzGX proportions.

Leave the camera alone please Sega.

plank

Pud said:
Wait, wasn't that part of the problem with that PS3/360 game?

Yes, it does not look to be more evident here in this game than in the 360/PS3 game. It just kind of seem a bit off in certain parts of gameplay.

later

These levels look so much nicer than the dinosaur and prince of persia style levels seen earlier (screenshots). MUST GET!

But I also agree that I hate the different camera perspectives, I wish it was possible to just have the camera behind you at all times. That might be a dealbreaker.

It does look pretty damn good. The foundry level vids show that actually blasting your way through a level could be a real challenge - the player seemed to be making a lot of mistakes, getting the timing wrong on several sections and ****ing up on attacks, and I can imagine that as you get better and learn the layout of the level, cracking your way through for a record time could be a blast. Even the skysurfing level seems quite challenging, and while you don't appear to be able to topple off the "track", dodging attacks and avoiding obstacles & keeping your pace up could be pretty tough.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this game, and while it might not be quite the return to form some posters are hoping for, it looks like it has the potential to be an attractive, solid action game.

About the camera complaints....

I think for the most part the camera does stay behind Sonic. In that sky level where it loops around, there didn't seem to be much action at that point so it was more of less visual flair. Plus, if all your doing is going right and left and jumping, would it really change that much?

plank

I'm just saying the camera could have been done to capture more of the feel. As if your always right behind Sonic.

plank said:
I'm just saying the camera could have been done to capture more of the feel. As if your always right behind Sonic.

I suppose you are right, but in a game with over 100 missions, a locked-camera might start to suck.

The game does indeed look awesome, especially the new level videos on IGN. The newer levels look much more exciting than the original desert level we were seeing

White Man

I want a new Wii game, too, but I'm not so desperate that I'm going to put my eggs into the Sonic basket. Again. Sega games that do not have Virtua Fighter or Yakuza in the title universally blow ass. I still can't believe they screwed up PSU so badly. And the less said of the most recent Sonic game, the better. We all know (in our hearts) that this game will be somewhere between the black plague and a nasty case of the shits when it comes down to gameplay. In other words, this will be a 6-7 game, at best.

Pud

Banned
White Man said:
I want a new Wii game, too, but I'm not so desperate that I'm going to put my eggs into the Sonic basket. Again. Sega games that do not have Virtua Fighter or Yakuza in the title universally blow ass. I still can't believe they screwed up PSU so badly. And the less said of the most recent Sonic game, the better. We all know (in our hearts) that this game will be somewhere between the black plague and a nasty case of the shits when it comes down to gameplay. In other words, this will be a 6-7 game, at best.

I would hate to watch you eat crow. Sure, Sonic has been absolute shit for... oh, about 10 years now (aside from Rush, which was quite decent)... but this one is honestly lookin pretty good. Aside from the music of course :lol A completely new direction and the removal of the shitty friends might be just what Sonic needed.

wazoo

Sonic Rush was not made by Sega but by Dimps , as far as I know.

Last decent 3D Sonic I played was SA1.

I would like this game to be good. It would make something to buy before MP3.

Zave

CurseoftheGods said:
So Sonic Team Japan developed this, while Sonic Team USA did Sonic '06 right?
The End Credits show the game has been developed by "General R&D Team #1" or something like that. The name of Yuji Naka is nowhere to be seen (but it's ok, he's in his new label now, doesn't he?), just like the Sonic Team, that is "credited" for the "creation" ("Created by") at the very end of the credits. In the game intro there's no sign of Sonic Team logo, and the same happens in the title screen and so on.
"Something's strange is happening, but you don't know what it is, Mr. Jones".

plank

Martoo said:
The game looks ok. But the voices and music is just god awful. What were they thinking?

I could imagine a lot of people writing about how they were driven insane had there not been an option to the voice overs. :lol

jarrod

Banned
Just to let everyone know who's developed what....

SEGA Studios USA (ie: Sonic Team USA)
-Sonic Adventure 2/Battle (DC/GC) 2001
-Sonic Heroes (GC/PS2/XB) 2003
-Shadow the Hedgehog (GC/PS2/XB) 2004
-Sonic the Hedgehog (360/PS3) 2006

SEGA General R&D Dept. 1 (ie: ex-UGA staff)
-Sonic Riders (GC/PS2/XB) 2005
-Sonic and the Secret Rings (Wii) 2007

Dimps Co. (ie: ex-SNK staff)
-Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure (NGPC) 2000
-Sonic Advance (GBA) 2001
-Sonic Advance 2 (GBA) 2002
-Sonic Advance 3 (GBA) 2004
-Sonic Rush (DS) 2005

Backbone Entertainment (ie: ex-Digital Eclipse staff)
-Sonic Rivals (PSP) 2006

Top Bottom