• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sons of Anarchy - Season 6 - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vert boil

At least 25 minutes of that will be montages.

woou8ozl.gif

I watched first 4 seasons over the summer before season 5 started. I loved that show.But then i watched season 5 and it was just ok. Season 6 was terrible.
And i don't have much hype for season 7, but i hope it's good.

I watched first 4 seasons over the summer before season 5 started. I loved that show.But then i watched season 5 and it was just ok. Season 6 was terrible.
And i don't have much hype for season 7, but i hope it's good.

This pretty much mirrors my own experience with the show, except my marathon included season 5 so I had a decent idea by the time season 6 rolled around that the show had to reach its conclusion, fast. I love the show but it would have worked better with 3-4 seasons, tops.

I don't know anyone else that watches this show, so after burning through S1-5 in a long binge before S6, then watching S6 in a mini-binge after it aired, it's interesting to hear some other opinions in this thread. I'm looking forward to S7, but I'm not super sad it's the last season.

Sons of Anarchy has always been a weird show for me. I enjoy it the more ridiculous it is, and that includes when it tries to take itself seriously. There is just something about the concept of a "motorcycle club" that just makes me laugh. I never have this problem with fictionalised representations of other crime organizations (Sopranos, The Wire, Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad, and many others), but it just seems... quaint and somewhat ridiculous when you get a bunch of grown men dressed in black leather, all riding around on motorcycles getting into trouble. It really doesn't matter how serious some of scrapes they get into actually are, as everytime I see the Sons meet with the Mayans and/or the Grim Bastards, and I see a bunch of serious dudes standing around looking tough in their leather or denim jackets, I just crack up.

Anyway, can't say I'm excited by Courtney Love's appearance, but definitely looking forward to seeing Manson, and I really can't wait for Jax to finally let loose, clean up some mess, and take some vengeance.

Sons of Anarchy has always been a weird show for me. I enjoy it the more ridiculous it is, and that includes when it tries to take itself seriously. There is just something about the concept of a "motorcycle club" that just makes me laugh. I never have this problem with fictionalised representations of other crime organizations (Sopranos, The Wire, Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad, and many others), but it just seems... quaint and somewhat ridiculous when you get a bunch of grown men dressed in black leather, all riding around on motorcycles getting into trouble. It really doesn't matter how serious some of scrapes they get into actually are, as everytime I see the Sons meet with the Mayans and/or the Grim Bastards, and I see a bunch of serious dudes standing around looking tough in their leather or denim jackets, I just crack up.

Why? Just... why?

Aβydoς;121621330 said:
Why? Just... why?
Why can't I take it seriously? It's just the idea of a group of grown men wearing leather jackets and being in a motorcycle club. It just seems so immature somehow. It's like a bunch of kids who, on some level, never grew up and think that they're looking tough.

I realise there is actually very little difference between SAMCRO and some other crime organization or gang, but something about the biker gang aesthetic seems super lame. If this was the exact same show, but instead of a biker gang it was the mob or something, I would not feel this way. This feeling has nothing to do with the actual actions or activities of the club, or the events on the show.

Hey, I'm not panning the show. I actually enjoy it, and wouldn't be posting in this thread if I didn't. I just occasionally have a hard time taking it seriously, partly due to the biker gang setting and partly due to it's sheer ridiculousness. I watch it kind of like a soap-opera with extra violence, with all the over-the-top and chuckle-worthy drama that that implies.

mm04

Last season was a misery marathon. I'm glad they're wrapping it up. Please have Jax kill Gemma please. That's all I ask.

Why can't I take it seriously? It's just the idea of a group of grown men wearing leather jackets and being in a motorcycle club. It just seems so immature somehow. It's like a bunch of kids who, on some level, never grew up and think that they're looking tough.

I realise there is actually very little difference between SAMCRO and some other crime organization or gang, but something about the biker gang aesthetic seems super lame. If this was the exact same show, but instead of a biker gang it was the mob or something, I would not feel this way. This feeling has nothing to do with the actual actions or activities of the club, or the events on the show.

Hey, I'm not panning the show. I actually enjoy it, and wouldn't be posting in this thread if I didn't. I just occasionally have a hard time taking it seriously, partly due to the biker gang setting and partly due to it's sheer ridiculousness. I watch it kind of like a soap-opera with extra violence, with all the over-the-top and chuckle-worthy drama that that implies.
You do know that clubs like this do exist in real life?

You do know that clubs like this do exist in real life?
Yeah, we have a few in Australia, and I'll see news reports on arrests or, occasionally, shootings. I still find the idea ridiculous.

That's not to say I wouldn't take the situation seriously if I somehow had a run-in with an actual biker gang, but that's not what I'm talking about. The characters in SOA, and I suppose those in real-life too, get involved in some seriously awful situations and perform heinous acts, but that still doesn't change the fact that they dress and act like they're over-compensating for some deep-seated insecurity. As if they're trying to out-macho each other or something. It just seems kind of pathetic and it makes me laugh.

It really is the outfits and the "club" concept. It just feels like such a cliche. I know, I know, it's only a cliche because it exists like that in the real world, but it still comes across as incredibly lame.

I do like the show though. I just can't relate to the characters at all.

Yeah, we have a few in Australia, and I'll see news reports on arrests or, occasionally, shootings. I still find the idea ridiculous.

That's not to say I wouldn't take the situation seriously if I somehow had a run-in with an actual biker gang, but that's not what I'm talking about. The characters in SOA, and I suppose those in real-life too, get involved in some seriously awful situations and perform heinous acts, but that still doesn't change the fact that they dress and act like they're over-compensating for some deep-seated insecurity. As if they're trying to out-macho each other or something. It just seems kind of pathetic and it makes me laugh.

It really is the outfits and the "club" concept. It just feels like such a cliche. I know, I know, it's only a cliche because it exists like that in the real world, but it still comes across as incredibly lame.

I do like the show though. I just can't relate to the characters at all.

LOL out of all the crazy criticisms this show gets this is probably the weirdest one. Anyway the reasons you described as to why it seems laughable to you are the same characteristics every mob has. They just dress differently.

Aβydoς;121723453 said:
LOL out of all the crazy criticisms this show gets this is probably the weirdest one. Anyway the reasons you described as to why it seems laughable to you are the same characteristics every mob has. They just dress differently.
It wasn't a criticism of the show. The show is what it is, and it would be something completely different if they changed what I'm talking about. I wouldn't suggest they change it, or that it's a flaw to be critiqued, or anything like that. I just posted my perspective, got a couple of surpised reactions (which was surprising in itself, to me), so I explained.

So you don't think the way they dress is relevant? The club members certainly think it is. There are numerous rules about when you can/can't wear the jacket etc. I mean, these guys have a uniform. Seeing a bunch of grown men sit around in their club uniform, which just happens to look pretty "bad boy" by the way, takes away a lot of the seriousness from the rest of their actions. Instead of seeing a crime organization involved in internal political struggles and various run-ins with rivals and the law, I see a bunch of men in arrested development squabbling over who gets to be boss of the treehouse this week.

I'm honestly surprised this seems like a "crazy weird criticism". Like I said, I don't know anyone else who watches the show, but I can't believe I'm the only person who both enjoys the show and feels this way about the characters/club themselves.

EDIT: For the record, when I say the uniforms take away from the "seriousness" of their actions, I'm not referring to the seriousness in the story itself. Clearly that's not the case. I'm referring to how serious it feels as a viewer watching a TV show. It lessens the tension, and removes any connection I have with the characters.

I still can't believe that happened in the finale. Gemma went to town on baby mama! I did not expect that. Most shows play it safe and don't kill off characters but SoA isn't afraid!

In other unusual casting news...

Lea Michele is trading in the glee club for a biker gang on Sons of Anarchy. The Glee star tweeted the news that she'd be appearing the final season of the FX drama with a guest role.

"I'll be appearing on an episode of my favorite show @SonsofAnarchy! Thank you so much @Harparbar & @sutterink #SOAFX," she tweeted and included a photo. The people she thanks included Paris Barclay, a director on both Sons of Anarchy and Glee and SOA creator Kurt Sutter.

Michele will play
Gertie, "an empathetic truck stop waitress and single mother, who connects with Gemma during a difficult time,"
a rep for FX told E! News.

This isn't the first time Glee and Sons have bled together: Katey Sagal, Sutter's wife and star of Sons of Anarchy, plays Artie's (Kevin McHale) mom on Glee.
Sutter took to Twitter and teased a casting announcement before Sons of Anarchy's Comic-Con panel, but no news was revealed.

Other guest stars for the seventh and final season of Sons of Anarchy include Courtney Love, Marilyn Manson and Walton Goggins. Love will play preschool teacher Ms. Harrison. Manson will play "Ron Tully," a white supremacist prison leader who Jax (Charlie Hunnam) encounters.

Sons of Anarchy's final ride kicks off Tuesday, Sept. 9 at 10 p.m. on FX.

http://www.eonline.com/news/563637/lea-michele-books-sons-of-anarchy-guest-appearance

bidguy

Banned
so 7 is the last huh

hopefully the show picks up again for a decent final season. season 6 was too bleak and depressing

That was probably the worst on screen death I've ever seen on TV. Just brutal.

I would probably agree, seeing the fork thing get sort of stuck in Tara's head as Gemma was pulling it out really gave it a sense of realism and made it hard to watch.

Im a big fan of Sons, really looking forward to the last seasons and I can only imagine what Sutter has in store now he has a finite amount of episodes left.

so 7 is the last huh

hopefully the show picks up again for a decent final season. season 6 was too bleak and depressing

I'm absolutely sure it's going to be one of the bleakest series finale in the history of television. Probably even more than The Shield's.

Anyway the casting is just great this season, so random, but I can't shake off the feeling that Marilyn Manson's role was intended for Michael Chiklis.

Where's the damn trailer??? It's only 6 weeks now

I have to say, I'm getting kinda annoyed at how many times Jax's been inside of prison so far.

People like him get in and out quite often you know

Mononoke

Banned
- Charlie Hunnam's message to Comic Con panel attendees (youtube)

Ha ha, that's worth a quick look. It's a short vid.

Wow, lol.

I'm going to miss this show. You know, for all its missteps and flaws, I actually think this is one of the most consistent shows I've seen. Yeah I'll repeat, I think this show has been pretty damn consistent overall front to back. That's not to say, every season has been great. But it never IMO dived in quality like shows like Dexter etc.

So I'm really looking forward to this final run.

Zaph

How many montages the show will have this upcoming season? I'm saying 13, one per episode.
As it's the last season, I expect each episode to be 90min+, so at least 2 montages per.

Sutter has zero self discipline, and there ain't an editor on the planet who can help him.

Decado

Thank goodness it is the final season. If I remember correctly, S5 was quite awesome, but all of a sudden in S6, I thought that they needed to wrap it up.

Zaph

Gemas character ruins this show for me
Yup. And the script gymnastics needed to keep her relevant to the show (notice how often she gets lucky and intercepts an important package/person at the exact right time?) gets more and more blatant. They basically had to turn Tara (a surgeon!) into an idiot just to keep Gemma alive - how many perfect opportunities were there for Tara to tell Jax about his father when she desperately needed an advantage? One of the show's biggest, longest running storylines was forgotten because there was only one way it could end.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
just binge watched the whole series over the last couple of weeks. Ready for season 7. It was fun watching an episode and then reading everyones reactions on here. you guys are hilarious

- The Verge interview: Kurt Sutter on ending 'Sons of Anarchy' and the 'necessary evil' of social media

- EW: 'Sons of Anarchy' gets official book -- and series finale air date
With the final season of Sons of Anarchy set to begin in three weeks, it’s never too early to start thinking about the end. Fans can now pre-order the official behind-the-scenes companion book, Sons of Anarchy: The Official Collector’s Edition, which will be released the day after the series finale. FX confirms that the series finale will air Tuesday, Dec. 9. Mark your calendars.

Creator Kurt Sutter wrote a special introduction for the 208-page hardcover book, which will cover all seven seasons of the FX drama and the series finale with photographs, cast interviews, and the stories behind how the show was crafted—right down to the music, props, costumes, makeup, prosthetics, and tattoos. The old ladies and rival gangs will also get their due. Plus, in case fans haven’t mastered biker lingo by this point (do not call it a vest), there’ll be a glossary and a guide to the bikes.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I'm currently halfway through season five and I find this show so full of issues, but completely watchable. The only thing that strikes me is how incredibly miserable their life is. And I was expecting some cool people living a cool life!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom