• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony’s Shu Yoshida Talks Vita, PSP Lessons, And Nintendo

theBishop said:
Bummer. I was hoping they'd be able to just flip it on and accept that some games don't work perfectly.

I hope this "utility" doesn't require a patch and a formal certification. If it's just a matter of validating and giving the 'OK', there could still be wide support.

he said that's for very demanding game though, I imagine game like Disgaea 4 and various PSN game can easily pass the requirement.

Emitan

Lance Bone Path said:
I'm a little surprised that he decided to mention Capcom with regard to the 2nd analog slider cradle monstrosity since he says that he's speculating.

It makes me wonder if Capcom had some bizarre attachment that they wanted to stick on the Vita and they said no and the next thing they know, there's an attachment on the 3DS and news about Tri G.
Why would they need a Vita attachment? It already has two sticks.

Speaking of security, can we expect the Vita to need as many updates as the PSP and PS3? Are there plans to make these firmware updates less intrusive?

I agree, it’s very annoying when you only have one hour in your busy life to play a game, and when you have to spend 30 minutes out of that one hour to update the hardware. So it’s not necessarily the frequency of how we update, it’s like you said – intrusiveness - of the current processes that we have on PS3 and PSP. I cannot talk about specific plans, but we are very aware of the issues, and we’d like to address those issues on PS Vita going forward.
Oh, make sure it's not as annoying as the updates on the ps3. Sony.

yencid

So for PSP games its going to be like playing PS1 games on the ps3/psp where you set up how you want to play it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
You demonstrated the Vita’s remote play function with Killzone 3 during a TGS 2011 presentation. Will every PS3 game be playable on Vita, or is it up to the developer to incorporate that feature?

Yes, that’s correct. The PS Vita has to be customized to support remote play with the PS Vita. Yesterday, the demo that I showed using Killzone 3 was customized. It was meant as a technical demo and we haven’t even finished the utility of the remote play that’s really, really nice to support higher resolution screens on PS Vita, and the mapping of controls like R3, R2, L2 buttons using the backtouch panel. So as soon as we complete the development of those utilities, we will release the utility to PS3 developers so that they can check if their games work with the utility or they may have to do some additional work, because the remote play takes some additional memory and CPU time out of PS3 games. So some games that really utilize the PS3 capabilities may not work, so we’ll see.

This should probably go up in the Vita remote play thread where we were discussing the difference between this and Wii U. This comment takes the wind out of the sails a little bit, unfortunately.

Lance Bone Path said:
Well, in theory there's no reason Tri G needs the extension, but there it is.
maybe it's not capcom who requests it. it's clearly not nintendo since they don't use it themselves for kid icarus. maybe Squenix for Kingdom Hearts 3d?

jackdoe

Plinko said:
This should probably go up in the Vita remote play thread where we were discussing the difference between this and Wii U. This comment takes the wind out of the sails a little bit, unfortunately.
Granted, if a game like Killzone 3 could squeeze in remote play, I'm sure a majority of properly optimized games should as well.

Callibretto said:
maybe it's not capcom who requests it. it's clearly not nintendo since they don't use it themselves for kid icarus. maybe Squenix for Kingdom Hearts 3d?
That doesn't make much sense. BBS played just fine without it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Brazil said:
This may be the first classy Sony employee interview I've ever seen.

This. I'm very impressed.

Thoraxes

I like to see healthy competition between Nintendo’s system and ours because it helps innovation. It’s always a good thing to have.
How dare he have a nice opinion and just want the market to grow in cool, fun, and interesting ways that gives the consumer great experiences.

come to think of it now I wounder how the Vita downloads/installs FW updates, patches and games.

I guess patching background installs into the ps3 is one of those things they just couldnt do for technical reasons but I hope they get it in on future hardware. every other feature the ps3 is missing seems to be in this handheld. stuff like Party/in game browser/ custom soundtracks Really makes me want a ps4 sooner then later. Not having to take a break from playing a game/ watching a movie or using the web browser to install a game would be another great tick on the box.

Plinko

Thoraxes said:
How dare he have a nice opinion and just want the market to grow in cool, fun, and interesting ways that gives the consumer great experiences.

There are a few of us on here who voice this opinion in the system war threads. Unfortunately, it gets buried under loads of listwar posts.

People need to realize that competition is fantastic for the industry. It pushes companies to make greater advancements in the future. If you want a perfect example of what lack of competition does look no further than the Madden series.

Ellis Kim

Banned
The second lesson comes post-launch of the PSP. Because we shifted development resources to the PS3 launch, we kind of stopped supporting PSP games post-launch. That was a big mistake, because we didn?t realize that third-party developers were doing the same because they were working on the new launch of software on the PS3, Nintendo Wii, and Xbox 360 as well. So going into the PS Vita, because it?s our second time, we are making sure that we won?t make the same mistakes, meaning that we?ll continue to support PS Vita with a stream of good titles through release.
I am so glad that he and Sony are aware of this.

Thoraxes

Plinko said:
There are a few of us on here who voice this opinion in the system war threads. Unfortunately, it gets buried under loads of listwar posts.

People need to realize that competition is fantastic for the industry. It pushes companies to take greater advancements in the future. If you want a perfect example of what lack of competition does look no further than the Madden series.
Exactly. I don't understand why people want blood to come out of all of this sometimes, but yeah, the sensible ones are always outshadowed by those who complain more.

Emitan

DonMigs85 said:
Is it a viable plan to mail in UMDs, then they give you a voucher code or something for PSN?
You probably turn them in at stores. I could imagine Sony doing that in GameStops or something.

jackdoe

DonMigs85 said:
Is it a viable plan to mail in UMDs, then they give you a voucher code or something for PSN?
It would probably be easier to set up a trade in program with participating retailers. But that would probably lead to abuse.

Billychu said:
You probably turn them in at stores. I could imagine Sony doing that in GameStops or something.
Great minds think alike.

FoneBone

There are many lessons we have learned, but if you ask me to pick one lesson… Before the launch, as far as the hardware goes we didn’t put enough resources in the hardware to allow us to develop games that are unique to the PSP compared to home consoles. We had many products on PSP, but most of these games like God of War [Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparda] came from the console. Basically, you can play a bigger, better version of these titles on PS3. So pre-launch of PSP we were too happy with having the basic capability of PS2-class games to play on PSP, in terms of the screen and CPU/GPU. But after the launch and a few years time, just having pretty graphics isn’t enough. Especially when you can play a bigger, better game on home consoles. That’s the one big lesson when we designed the PS Vita. Because it is portable and because it’s a new technological development, we can put a touchscreen, touchpad, cameras, GPS, or 3G capabilities. We made sure that developers will be able to make use of these features that are unique to portable systems, so that with games we can continue to produce something very exciting that you cannot find on games on home console. So that’s one lesson.
They say this, but their software strategy isn't showing it.

Also AHAHAHA at that question about 3DS' price drop being a specific reaction to Vita. Really?

Well .. i'm more concerned about the PSP & PSN compatibility rate ..i hope they reach that 100% or 99.9% rate so that i won't have to bother to wonder if one work with everything i've got .

it's too bad that the FULL remote play is using lots of extra ressources ( but expected ) i guess most developpers not first party won't Update their titles ( even more if they release a VITA version of teh game )... i'm disapointed even if it's not a global issue

Kyoufu

Aeana said:
" In addition, because PS Vita has a much larger, nicer-looking screen, and the existence of dual analog sticks, we will provide from a system level that some games benefit using the right analog stick. Like FPS or third-person action-adventure games. We will provide options to remap the control from either face buttons or the action buttons to right analog stick. So the control would be much better on PS Vita."

Megaton.

Already known, but I hope Vita solves camera issues in FF Type 0.

VanWinkle

Metalmurphy said:
"we will release the utility to PS3 developers so that they can check if their games work with the utility or they may have to do some additional work, because the remote play takes some additional memory and CPU time out of PS3 games. So some games that really utilize the PS3 capabilities may not work, so we’ll see."

Great... remote play is gonna be as useless as it was on the PSP.

While you could be right, you couldn't hide the fact that a game that utilized all of the buttons or most on the PS3 could not be possible whatsoever on PSP. There just weren't enough inputs, and nothing could change that. That's not the case with the Vita. And that definitely makes a difference. Now, whether that changes things, time will tell.

neptunes

jackdoe said:
It would probably be easier to set up a trade in program with participating retailers. But that would probably lead to abuse.

Great minds think alike.
what would the stores do with the UMD's? give them back to sony or would they be required to destroy them? (to prevent reselling etc...)

DonMigs85

neptunes said:
what would the stores do with the UMD's? give them back to sony or would they be required to destroy them? (to prevent reselling etc...)
Melt them down and make new Vitas and Memory cards out of them.

RaidenZR

Nice to see professional responses from someone at Sony, as well as questions that weren't sensationally or deliberately loaded.

fernoca

Nice responses overall, if only the people in PR were like that. :p

Though it is kinda disappointing that they're working on the compatibility of the PSP games on Vita; meaning that not every game right now is fully compatible.

rpmurphy

Plinko said:
I thought that it was a logical assumption from the beginning that it would be on a game-by-game basis whether to support it. It shouldn't be a surprising thing if not all Wii U games will support a controller-only mode either.

jackdoe

neptunes said:
I'd guess they'd only be compensated if they sent them back to Sony? I'm assuming part of the draw in participating in the program is that potential customers actually show up.

StuBurns

Banned
The UMD thing is odd, I know a lot of people don't think it'll happen because it didn't with Go, but Sony must have identified that as a failing of the Go, people don't want to leave their library behind it seems.

The thing is, not all PSP games are on PSN, and they won't ever be. There's no way it'll be send Sony a UMD of Lumines and they activate it on your PSN account or whatever, and credit doesn't make sense either, because of the used market affecting the value of UMDs. I can't think on any seriously viable method, other than having people send in a certainly amount of UMDs and Sony giving people a selection of Sony games to choose from, which is pretty lame.

Patapwn

sY6gG.jpg

Like a god damn boss

fernoca said:
Nice responses overall, if only the people in PR were like that. :p

Though it is kinda disappointing that they're working on the compatibility of the PSP games on Vita; meaning that not every game right now is fully compatible.
I read that as they're in the process of testing them, not still working on the emu, but because they haven't test all games, he can't commit to say 100% yet

So I think as long as there is this happy win/win situation between consumers and publishers, I would expect more titles will come out in this format.

GTA III HD Collection (III, VC, SA)
GTA PSP HD Collection (LCS, VCS, CW)
MP Collection (MP1, MP2)
RDRevolver HD

Please

alba

Little is the new Big
Infinite Justice said:
Yoshida continues to be fucking awesome.

I also loves how he uses fucking common sense to dispel the system wars type bait the interviewer was throwing out.

Agreed, he's my favorite guy at Sony right now :)

On the VITA front, I think I'm gonna wait a bit to see how things plan out but I'm probably gonna get one down the line.

flawfuls

Kyoufu said:
Already known, but I hope Vita solves camera issues in FF Type 0.

Type 0's biggest camera problem is that the lock on camera is garbage and that can't be fixed with dual analog.

Top Bottom