• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony admits PS4 is a tougher sell in Japan

sörine

Banned
I did some quick search on Google and came to the number of 17 SKUs on Nintendo platforms (Layton/Inazuma Eleven/Guild/Ni No Kuni) and 2 SKUs on Sony platforms (Dragon Quest 8 and Ni No Kuni). The average sales on Nintendo platforms is then about 1.32 million units, and on Sony platforms the average is 2.99 million (then i caluclated that Ni No Kuni sold 1.1 million on PS3).

EDIT: Or an average of 1.51 million on Sony platforms including Dark Cloud 1 and 2, Rouge Galaxy and Jeanne D'arc that was also listed earlier. Unless i have calculated something wrong.
Why are you adding DQ8 but not DQ9?

Coxy

It doesnt seem to me that they're blaming anyone. Its also in 3rd parties best interest to make sure that hardware sales are successful, because 3rd party only sell software and they need a place to sell it.

and that place will be phones if it has to be, they have no vested interest in PS4s success

sony are the ones who have to stop that and lead out with some first party japanese games and they dont seem interested in it

Darius

Banned
sörine;120555832 said:

For obvious reasons ;) jk I think it would be interesting to see a comparison of the cumulative sales on Sony and Nintendo systems. Because the average is very misleading (niche games and Japan exclusives like that Girls RPG with something like 100k or NinoKuni NDS beeing Japan exclusive clearly aren´t helping the average) but Level5s actions are solid prove of where they actually had more success.

extralite

I did some quick search on Google and came to the number of 17 SKUs on Nintendo platforms (Layton/Inazuma Eleven/Guild/Ni No Kuni) and 2 SKUs on Sony platforms (Dragon Quest 8 and Ni No Kuni). The average sales on Nintendo platforms is then about 1.32 million units, and on Sony platforms the average is 2.99 million (then i caluclated that Ni No Kuni sold 1.1 million on PS3).

EDIT: Or an average of 1.51 million on Sony platforms including Dark Cloud 1 and 2, Rouge Galaxy and Jeanne D'arc that was also listed earlier. Unless i have calculated something wrong.
Including DQVIII is pointless because a) it sold based on brand strength and can't be replicated by L5 on their own and b) Nintendo has the stronger out of the two, DQIX.

With ~5 million for DQIX the average evens out in slight favor of Nintendo. But if we leave DQ out (as we should), the high selling Sony title is below the Nintendo average.

jiggle

Such useless division
it's almost as if they are actively trying to sabotage their new console

all that wasted resources on ps3vita when ps4 was launching
did they learn nothing from psp3vita's tepid launches?

this Christmas is gonna be a fucking slaughter there

I have some shipment numbers for Professor Layton.

These figures are taken from the PDF of a Japanese security company and they look legit. Nintendo didn't publish Layton series in Japan so those sales aren't included. That PDF only lists those Nintendo published titles that have shipped over 1 million units.

Global shipments: (US + Europe)

Professor Layton and the Curious Village - 3,460,000
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box - 2,890,000
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future - 2,130,000
Professor Layton and the Last Specter - 1,340,000

Oh thanks!

Looks like I've underestimated L5's success.

test_account

XP-39C²
sörine;120555832 said:
DQ9 isnt on the list posted earlier and the discussion seemed to be about that list only. Feel free to add DQ9 to the numbers posted earlier =) There are more Level 5 games that arent on that list if one want to concider those as well, like Little Battler Xperience, Fantasy Life, Gundam AGE and Yokai Watch.

and that place will be phones if it has to be, they have no vested interest in PS4s success

sony are the ones who have to stop that and lead out with some first party japanese games and they dont seem interested in it
I dont think Sony can do much to stop that to be honest. Look at Nintendo and WiiU for example. Nintendo's support has been pretty good in my opinion, and their IP are a lot stronger sales wise, especially in Japan, yet hardly any 3rd party developers are on board the WiiU. If Nintendo's games cant do it, i doubt Sony's games can do it. I dont think that every developer can depend soley on mobile games either.

Including DQVIII is pointless because a) it sold based on brand strength and can't be replicated by L5 on their own and b) Nintendo has the stronger out of the two, DQIX.

With ~5 million for DQIX the average evens out in slight favor of Nintendo. But if we leave DQ out (as we should), the high selling Sony title is below the Nintendo average.
I just mentioned DQ8 because you mentioned it first and because it was on the list posted earlier :) But yeah, i agree that i dont really view Dragon Quest as a Level5 game. Level5 has been supporting Nintendo platforms a lot more than Sony platforms in terms of number of SKUs, so it makes sense why they have seen more success there (as in total number of games sold). Its not only because of the numbers of SKU of course, the popularity of the games also play a huge factor in the sales numbers. But Professor Layton and Inazuma Eleven has like 14 SKUs on total just on those two series. There isnt anything in comparison on other platforms when it comes to Level5 games.

Biker19

Banned
Games it needs. Japan has to start supporting it but if they want to give all the stuff to hand helds and mobile then none of the consoles will take off in Japan and they will begin to lose even more revenues from the west. Shame really.

The two problems that 3rd parties need to fix are the following:

1.) Make games that caters to the Japanese audience. They don't care about western titles &/or genres like FPS's or sports games.

2.) Stop it, stop it, stop it with the cross-gen porting between PS3, PS4, &/or PS Vita! The more that these Japanese 3rd party publishers keeps having games being put towards PS3/PS4, PS3/PS4/PS Vita, or PS4/PS Vita, the more that people in Japan aren't going to want to shell out many yen just for a PS4!

The two problems that 3rd parties need to fix are the following:

1.) Make games that caters to the Japanese audience. They don't care about western titles &/or genres like FPS's or sports games.

2.) Stop it, stop it, stop it with the cross-gen porting between PS3, PS4, &/or PS Vita! The more that these Japanese 3rd party publishers keeps having games being put towards PS3/PS4, PS3/PS4/PS Vita, or PS4/PS Vita, the more that people in Japan aren't going to want to shell out many yen just for a PS4!
PS4/vita is good for developers. They get a bigger audience for their games. Plus most Japanese games don't push the tech envelope anyway.

jiggle

au contraire
big fail to not get naruto/zestria/shining/persona etc crossgen
when they identified early on that devs were too comfortable to leave ps3 nest

Coxy

I dont think Sony can do much to stop that to be honest. Look at Nintendo and WiiU for example. Nintendo's support has been pretty good in my opinion, and their IP are a lot stronger sales wise, especially in Japan, yet hardly any 3rd party developers are on board the WiiU. If Nintendo's games cant do it, i doubt Sony's games can do it. I dont think that every developer can depend soley on mobile games either.

Wii U not selling is a WiiU issue. PS4 would be selling a lot better if sony had prepared some games for it. They need a first party JRPG or at least to fund the development of a third party exclusive. Hell they dont even need the games out, just stuff announced with solid release dates to build some kind of excitement. there are plenty of people who want to buy a PS4 but havent got a good reason to do it yet.

Well no shit. I'm baffled Sony rather release and make something like Knack than Minna no Golf. What is the whole of SCEJ doing? It's not like they are releasing a shitton of Vita games either.

I think SCEJ should try to develop a JRPG with global appeal. Now that Final Fantasy is imploding that's a niche that someone needs to fill.

Rising_Hei

This console has no new media format like PS3 did to sustent its sales with no games, plus No HQ japanese software + NO jrpgs = no sales.

Period.

Fuel the console with Jrpgs and other japanese genres and it will sell like cakes.

DR2K

Banned
Don't see how this relates to you being wrong on how Japan does not like western shooters when it evidently does.

Now do western shooters sell consoles especially when they are also available on the PS3.......obviously not.

Because besides for your exceptions it isn't the general rule for what Japan is buying.

Sealion88

Imru’ al-Qays;120593683 said:
I think SCEJ should try to develop a JRPG with global appeal. Now that Final Fantasy is imploding that's a niche that someone needs to fill.

I thought there was a rumor that they are making one ???

Metal Gear is a joke of a series now, no matter how good it looks.

Metal Gear is one of the elite tier of Japanese franchises that has emerged from the seventh generation unscathed.

The major Japanese franchises of the sixth generation were Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Gran Turismo, Kingdom Hearts, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, and Tekken. Of those Dragon Quest and Kingdom Hearts were absent from home consoles in the seventh generation.

The main release in each of the remaining series sold in line with their PS2 counterparts - including Metal Gear Solid 4, in spite of the PS3's smaller install base. Gran Turismo 6 and the Final Fantasy XIII sequels are the only ones that have actually sold poorly.

L2 sarcastic retort.

Your statement was so preposterous I half thought you were joking.

The major Japanese devs are major Japanese devs precisely because they've had enormous success selling their games in the West. I'm talking Capcom, Konami, Namco, Nintendo, and Square Enix. All of these companies sell vastly more of their flagship series abroad than in Japan.

Imru’ al-Qays;120593683 said:

This. It amazes how Sony's home country loves JRPGs yet Sony with all of their studios do not have an ongoing JRPG franchise. You would think it would be the most obvious game type for Sony to make.

This. It amazes how Sony's home country loves JRPGs yet Sony with all of their studios do not have an ongoing JRPG franchise. You would think it would be the most obvious game type for Sony to make.

Dark Cloud, Wild Arms, Arc the Lad all contracted as a franchise, selling less and less with each installment.

White Knight Chronicles was a disaster.

Didn't they try this with white knight chronicles?

Edit: beaten by the above. Souls games aside, jrpgs are a shrinking genre and an absolute Money sink. Sony throwing cash down the toilet to chase an increasingly irrelevant Japan with them is nonsensical.

Well, hey now. Looks like one more Emmy nomination needs to go to Sony this year, because no shit Sherlock.

In all seriousness, I hope the system does better there. That market needs to be healthy for our genre to keep moving forward.

Edit: beaten by the above. Souls games aside, jrpgs are a shrinking genre and an absolute Money sink. Sony throwing cash down the toilet to chase an increasingly irrelevant Japan with them is nonsensical.

I think JRPGs have a place, but there's no middle ground. You either bring your A-game, or you don't.

Sony's problem with their JRPG franchises was that they allowed mediocrity to weaken the value of their IPs. And even when they tried to make the next-big-thing, they fuck it up and ultimately underperform.

Either you find the middle-ground where you deliver consistent mid-tier JRPG experiences that don't need 1 million sales to be successful ala Tales/Falcom, or you give it a very serious effort to make a damn good one that it can move the needle amongst the Japanese audience. The latter, which is pretty damn hard to do.

Didn't they try this with white knight chronicles?

I don't think the problem with JRPGs is that they're a shrinking genre per se. I think the main issue with JRPGs is that they basically became synonymous with Square Enix, and when Square Enix started to implode there wasn't anyone left to pick up the slack.

Final Fantasy was a success in the west because it was Japanese enough to be exotic without being Japanese enough to be alienating. The high production values, the distinctive art style (that isn't recognizably Japanese), the particular blend of scifi and fantasy, and the relatively sophisticated storylines (I said relatively) played really well in the West. And they'd still be playing really well in the West, I think, if Square Enix's incompetence hadn't killed the golden goose.

Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts sold really, really well in the sixth generation, both in Japan and in the West. Square Enix bungled the transition to the seventh generation, but the people who bought Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts on the PS2 didn't just disappear, as evidenced by the fact that Final Fantasy XIII sold really well: there's a lot of pent-up demand for quality JRPGs worldwide. The problem is that no one is providing them: Square Enix can't get its act together and all the other players in the JRPG field release extremely anime stuff that western gamers wouldn't be caught dead playing.

Basically, I think if someone came along and funded a game like Xenoblade on PlayStation and Xbox it would sell pretty damn well. And I think Sony is the company best positioned to do this: they understand both the Japanese and the Western market, and they'd be able to walk the fine line of appealing to both without alienating either that Final Fantasy was able to do for so many years.

There is a fan base for quality JRPGs , in and out of Japan. Although Final Fantasy is probably the only one that is going to get huge 5 million+ numbers.

Imru’ al-Qays;120608710 said:
And I think Sony is the company best positioned to do this: they understand both the Japanese and the Western market, and they'd be able to walk the fine line of appealing to both without alienating either that Final Fantasy was able to do for so many years.

Best positioned from a business perspective =/= best positioned from a development perspective.

Unlike Square or even Monolith, who are experienced JRPG developers, Sony does not possess the same caliber of resources, last we heard of, to build a competitive product to a good Final Fantasy title.

KTO

I know this post won't be taken seriously but the Frozen PS4 is going to move serious numbers whether there are games to play on it or not

Best positioned from a business perspective =/= best positioned from a development perspective.

Unlike Square or even Monolith, who are experienced JRPG developers, Sony does not possess the same caliber of resources, last we heard of, to build a competitive product to a good Final Fantasy title.

It's true, sadly. I do wish they had taken advantage of the exodus of talent from Square Enix that happened between the sixth and seventh generations, though. Nintendo grabbed Takahashi, but Sakaguchi and Matsuno have been wandering in the wilderness for years. Matsuno especially has a storytelling and aesthetic style that western gamers would be incredibly receptive to if anyone would ever just let him finish a project in peace.

Yawnier

Banned
It's like the PS3 in 07/08 but some things have changed since then

"No gaemz", feed the platform some games that people over there will care about and BOOM

I know this post won't be taken seriously but the Frozen PS4 is going to move serious numbers whether there are games to play on it or not

PS4 is already dead in Japan. Why would another SKU change its fortunes? It's not like dead systems get magically revived by this kind of thing.

Paracelsus

Sony isn't willing to take risks any longer, games like Drive Club (or back in the day Demon's Souls) are less and less likely to be pushed (DC was basically rebooted for the better). From their point of view it's alright to keep focusing in Northamerica and Europe, after all how much cash should you invest in second party exclusives in order to boost the userbase in Japan, by how much even? It's getting much and much harder for them to care.

Imru’ al-Qays;120610600 said:
It's true, sadly. I do wish they had taken advantage of the exodus of talent from Square Enix that happened between the sixth and seventh generations, though. Nintendo grabbed Takahashi, but Sakaguchi and Matsuno have been wandering in the wilderness for years. Matsuno especially has a storytelling and aesthetic style that western gamers would be incredibly receptive to if anyone would ever just let him finish a project in peace.

Back when the exodus happened, Japan Studio was not exactly the most desirable workplace if you wanted to get shit done. Apparently it's great place if you're lazy though.

Even though Japan Studio's more productive now, the ship has sailed.

Coxy

if they dont have the talent, they can easily get it, there are tons of super talented teams wasting their time helping out on low rent games

It is the highest grossing movie there, ever.

It's actually the third-highest grossing:

Japanese box office, All-time Top 3:

1) Spirited Away - $300.1 million

2) Titanic - $258.6 million

3) Frozen - $240.8 million

And the audiences for the two types of media are distinct from each other. If a Titanic SKU shipped, would the PS4 be saved then?

Paracelsus

It's actually the third highest grossing:

Japanese box office, All-time Top 3:

1) Spirited Away - $300.1 million

2) Titanic - $258.6 million

3) Frozen - $240.8 million

And the audiences for the two types of media are distinct from each other. If a Titanic SKU shipped, would the PS4 be saved then?

No, but be would be flooded with sinking ship jokes for the next 7 years.

Top Bottom