• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony and Microsoft to explore strategic partnership

Lort

Banned
Actually, Sony has quite a bit of "cloud services" beyond game streaming, mostly film type products/services. It depends on your definition of "cloud service", I think the words have lttle to no meaning - I technically run cloud services from my house. The whole purchase of Gaika is cloud services. Not that I think cloud gaming will ever be a mass product or service.

By cloud services i mean the only cloud services any enterprise ever considers using... is AWS or Azure ... maybe Google... i might aso point out that Somy juts signed a cloud services agreement with Microsoft which kinda demonstrates my point.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
By cloud services i mean the only cloud services any enterprise ever considers using... is AWS or Azure ... maybe Google... i might aso point out that Somy juts signed a cloud services agreement with Microsoft which kinda demonstrates my point.

Netflix, which kind of has perhaps the most popular and strong video streaming technology, never built their own backend... PSNow and the experience they built from the Online and Gaikai days being undervalued because Sony does not build a full cloud infrastructure is a bit odd IMHO.

DanielsM

Banned
Where's that press release?

You can google it, but here is just a few.

Most big companies use more than one service, sometimes they use their own services. The word "cloud services" was invented for marketing about 10 years ago. Its over used, imo.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Where's that press release?

What press release? They have been using AWS and NASA/Rackspace’s OpenStack for a while now. They are expanding their reach with Azure as well.

Netflix, which kind of has perhaps the most popular and strong video streaming technology, never built their own backend... PSNow and the experience they built from the Online and Gaikai days being undervalued because Sony does not build a full cloud infrastructure is a bit odd IMHO.
Sony cannot build their own cloud infrastructure. It is way to costly for even Sony to do not to mention the real estate needed.

Lort

Banned
Actually, Sony has quite a bit of "cloud services" beyond game streaming, mostly film type products/services. It depends on your definition of "cloud service", I think the words have lttle to no meaning - I technically run cloud services from my house. The whole purchase of Gaika is cloud services. Not that I think cloud gaming will ever be a mass product or service.

Your right i should have said cloud service provider.

DanielsM

Banned
Sony cannot build their own cloud infrastructure. It is way to costly for even Sony to do not to mention the real estate needed.

Yet they have their own cloud infrastructure, I have my own cloud infrastructure. :messenger_beaming: I have the following services running at my house which I can use and manage anywhere in the world - web services, database services, file services, video streaming services, music streaming services, etc.

Some companies might elect to build their own or create their own, or ride on top of someone else.... .or pieces parts or combination. Microsoft uses Apple and Google cloud services.

Last edited:
What press release? They have been using AWS and NASA/Rackspace’s OpenStack for a while now. They are expanding their reach with Azure as well.

So there you go assuming that the tech they are using is the same tech needed for low latency game streaming. Sony went with MS specifically for gaming for a reason.

FranXico

So there you go assuming that the tech they are using is the same tech needed for low latency game streaming. Sony went with MS specifically for gaming for a reason.
They use every provider they find advantageous to complement their own infrastructure. They have been using their own datacenters, AWS and OpenStack among others for gaming, for quite some time. Microsoft Azure is now yet another one they use as well.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

You use a multitude of them so your reach is as saturated as you can get. There are places that some of these datacenters are, that others are not, etc..

And you build tech partnerships exchange as well.

What is with the “either or black and white” commentary?

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Ok so then why partner with AWS or MS ?

Well, just the same reason MS might use and partner with Amazon with AWS.

Easy the load. Microsoft wants to sell Sony some services, Sony might not want to build all the services and outsource it or us existing ones... Microsoft may want the same thing from Sony, they have services that Microsoft can use without building it themselves.

Last edited:
Is this not a case of "the enemy of my enemy, must be my friend?"

Microsoft and Sony own the largest portion of the gaming market. While they squabble back and forth with market share, they allow a competitor to come in and swallow both companies whole. Amazon, Google, Facebook and Apple could enter the console market day 1 and have 10 million zealots waiting to buy whichever shite their favourite company tells them to buy.

This is just a smart way of protecting their market. Between them, they could still battle over who owns the largest share of the market, while keeping outsiders at bay.

Vawn

Banned
As i always said Microsofts real competitors are Apple , Google and Amazon.

Most game devices are phones, Sony dosent make servers or offer cloud services or enterprise solitions.

Sony is just too small and too narrowly focused to be a reL competitor to Microsoft.

I don't know. I think someday Sony will have a PlayStation console that will outsell the Xbox console of the same generation. I know its difficult to imagine since it's only happened 3 out of 3 times.

They use every provider they find advantageous to complement their own infrastructure. They have been using their own datacenters, AWS and OpenStack among others for gaming, for quite some time. Microsoft Azure is now yet another one they use as well.
Not for games streaming though. That's the difference. You will see come E3.

DanielsM

Banned
Is this not a case of "the enemy of my enemy, must be my friend?"

Microsoft and Sony own the largest portion of the gaming market. While they squabble back and forth with market share, they allow a competitor to come in and swallow both companies whole. Amazon, Google, Facebook and Apple could enter the console market day 1 and have 10 million zealots waiting to buy whichever shite their favourite company tells them to buy.

This is just a smart way of protecting their market. Between them, they could still battle over who owns the largest share of the market, while keeping outsiders at bay.

Or one of them wants to exit the device market (eventually) and sell services to an existing companies i.e. Nintendo, Sony, etc. So, in the future... you can run your Virtual Windows Desktop on your iOS, Android, Playstation, Switch, etc.... in which you can play your old Xbox games in addition to your Windows games/applications. Furthermore deploy applications/games like they are doing today for iOS, Android, etc.

Eventually all those Microsoft products will be services running from Azure, all the services are just not complete yet.... than it takes years to transition the users over.

Nadella gives two shits about Xbox as a Hardware, the console wars were over the day he took over. Microsoft generally has the right idea, there really is no reason for all this hardware, the world doesn't need more device it needs less.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
I don't know. I think someday Sony will have a PlayStation console that will outsell the Xbox console of the same generation. I know its difficult to imagine since it's only happened 3 out of 3 times.

Lol facts and a streaming system tht you know already works on an infrastructure. Fucking console warriors and their delusions are embarrassing and annoying.

Lort

Banned

Im sorry i think you forgot to add the windows computers into that equation.

Klayzer

Is Microsoft laying down the foundation to exit the hardware business after the next Xbox console? The moves and partnerships they're making sure seems that way. I'd prefer MS have a hand in both hardware and service based products.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Is Microsoft laying down the foundation to exit the hardware business after the next Xbox console? The moves and partnerships they're making sure seems that way. I'd prefer MS have a hand in both hardware and service based products.
They're still making the Surface, so I see no reason why they wouldn't make Xbox consoles until things go 100% streaming.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Nice way to address the fact that they do not need to ;)... Sony never needed to do it... look at Netflix and their service... they did not need to build their own infrastructure backend to deliver perhaps the best and most recognised video streaming platform.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned

Yes, but the process is/will be slow as they want to transition the existing Windows users plus the existing Xbox users to cloud services. The cloud services are not even complete yet and might not be for some time, although they rolled out their own Virtual Desktop service. Than it takes years to get those users to move over to the cloud services. I would expect them to release new Xbox hardware for the time being, as they have no choice... the services are not complete. Once the services are complete, they could in theory shutdown native Windows deployment and Xbox deployment.

They could not salvage their Phone or Band users because nobody needs a virtual phone or virtual watch.:messenger_tears_of_joy:

The real issue is where is everyone going to be playing their win32 Steam game in 10 years? Microsoft wants to fix the glitch.

Last edited:

nowhat

look at Netflix and their service... they did not need to build their own infrastructure backend to deliver perhaps the best and most recognised video streaming platform.
I think this is a very valid point to make. They don't host their own content. But they absolutely dominate streaming video.

Stuart360

ALL of Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo will be leaving the hardware space eventually, its just a fact, no matter how much we would love it to not happen. So imaging a streaming service with Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo working together. Google and the rest wouldnt have a chance imo.
Dont worry though, this will be a full generation away, if not 2 or 3.

Last edited:

Klayzer

ALL of Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo will be leaving the hardware space eventually, its just a fact, no matter how much we would love it to not happen. So imaging a streaming service with Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo working together. Google and the rest wouldnt have a chance imo.
Dont worry though, this will be a full generation away, if not 2 or 3.
Yeah, give me Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo alliance over Google/Apple entering the market with their type of business practices.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I think this is a very valid point to make. They don't host their own content. But they absolutely dominate streaming video.

Won’t take credit for it though. I fully agree, but the original point was argued by a good and smarter friend of mine.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I don't think this means anything when it comes to PS5 and NeXbox.

Stuart360

Of course not, in fact it wont mean anything, console wise, for another 2 or 3 generations imo, BUT streaming is the future, and eventually there wont be consoles, so Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo teaming up on a premium streaming service would be amazing for gamers long term imo.
They may provide a streaming service together before then, but streaming for the next 2 or 3 gens will just be another option, alongside consoles. Long term though, there wont be consoles, there will only be streaming, and thats why this is amazing news if it ends up producing rsults.
The only platform that could potentially survive streaming is PC, but thats for another discussion.

DanielsM

Banned

Yes and no, imo.

I would still suspect there will be a Xbox Two, after that... things become hazy once the cloud services are completed. Not really any different than Windows Mobile 10, the decision was made before it was released that it was over... Microsoft was in the process of writing down the Lumia acquisition and released WM10 even though Nadella had no intention of keeping it. Eventually all Windows (technically already deployed, in part, Microsoft Virtual Desktop services) and Xbox processing will be cloud services, they are just not completed with development of the services yet.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
It might not but nothing wrong in building a stronger relationship which in turn might help out when it comes to discussing cross play.

Top Bottom