• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Announces FY 2009 Annual Results,Sets Ambitious PS3 Sales Target

Dynoro

Lagspike_exe said:
It's certainly gonna push sales in Europe. That's its biggest market by far.
It will certainly push sales a lot; but not by anywhere near what it has done with previous iterations. I think this generation has seen a lot more competition in GT's market (most likely due to the lack of an actual full GT release). This has seen people buying PS3s (or 360s for that matter) that would have held off for GT in the previous generation. Just look at Forza's sales in Europe and the UK in particular; it would never have had those sales if there had been a GT release.

I do think a price drop or packin of Move at the same price and bundles will get Sony to their target though.

Baki

deepbrown said:
Am I right in saying that the Xbox 360 sold 8.8 million compared to 13 million PS3's? Or have I got my financial years mixed up?

MS sold 10M X360's (their 2nd highest year) and SCE sold 13M PS3's (highest PS3 year).

plufim

The PS3 prediction isn't that insane, but what justification do they have for their predicted further drop in wii sales?

plufim said:
The PS3 prediction isn't that insane, but what justification do they have for their predicted further drop in wii sales?

Probably because they are betting on no price drop and the fact they over estimated Wii in 2009. by a whole 5.5m units.

spwolf

15m is not that ambitious at all... they had 13m was mostly achieved in last 2 quarters when they had slim out... 15m is nothing special - it means they do not expect any price breakthroughs, just following the market.

NHale

Lagspike_exe said:
It's interesting that PS3 software outsold 360 software which kills the entire theory that 360 owners buy more games.

Be quiet.

Do you want to destroy all the hopes and dreams of all those people that say Sony should kill the PS3 on the NPD GAF threads? Do you really want that on your conscience? Let them believe North America is the only place where they sell hardware and software, ok?

By the way the NDS and Wii FY2010 forecasts are from Nintendo or Sony? I thought those were from Nintendo.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
plufim said:
Nintendo predicted the 18 million Wii sales, not Sony.

Baki

plufim said:

No NSMB Wii, Wii Sports Resort or Wii Fit 2.

spwolf said:
15m is not that ambitious at all... they had 13m was mostly achieved in last 2 quarters when they had slim out... 15m is nothing special - it means they do not expect any price breakthroughs, just following the market.

Pretty much this. But if MS does another massive price-drop it could affect them in the US.

deepbrown

spwolf said:
Yup, they sold 9.6 million PS3's in 6 months.

I'll say that again. They sold 9.6 million PS3's in 6 months. That's as much as their full 2008 year.

Alastor

Lagspike_exe said:
Software - 360 = 103.1; PS3 = 115.6

That's probably not because the multiplatform games sell better on PS3, but because Sony machine has more exclusives that may not be massive sellers, but combined, they matter
and that's not a fanboyism, that's a FACT

spwolf

Dynoro said:
It will certainly push sales a lot; but not by anywhere near what it has done with previous iterations. I think this generation has seen a lot more competition in GT's market (most likely due to the lack of an actual full GT release). This has seen people buying PS3s (or 360s for that matter) that would have held off for GT in the previous generation. Just look at Forza's sales in Europe and the UK in particular; it would never have had those sales if there had been a GT release.

I do think a price drop or packin of Move at the same price and bundles will get Sony to their target though.

i very much doubt that... UK has very large portion of 360 gamers, why would not they buy Forza 3 which got great reviews?

At the same time, GT5P sales were excellent, especially in Europe, despite competition... so nope.

Baki

NHale said:
So they sold 20.8M in FY09 and they are projecting 18.0M in FY10? Wii 2 launching in this fiscal year?

Nope. 18M is still very good sales.

Back on topic, PS3 attach rate is now 8.1.

Taurus

NHale said:
Be quiet.

Do you want to destroy all the hopes and dreams of all those people that say Sony should kill the PS3 on the NPD GAF threads? Do you really want that on your conscience? Let them believe North America is the only place where they sell hardware and software, ok?

By the way the NDS and Wii FY2010 forecasts are from Nintendo or Sony? I thought those were from Nintendo.
I'm just gonna take the short way and answer your post with someone else's post earlier in this thread:

Hunahan said:
This is not healthy.

The gaming division is dragging the entire company into the red. Selling these things cost Sony two times the amount of money that they made last year.

There's almost a billion dollars out of pocket just to run Playstation for 12 months.

This isn't a business, it's an expense.

I'm frankly shocked that they aren't being forced to stop this madness.

Yes, Microsoft spent ridiculous money on the Xbox, but at least the overall company was still healthy. Sony is not in a condition where they can afford this sort of drain.

I do not understand how they can continue to lose this much money without a drastic change in strategy.

From a finance perspective, this is utterly pathetic.

NHale

Alastor said:
That's probably not because the multiplatform games sell better on PS3, but because Sony machine has more exclusives that may not be massive sellers, but combined, they matter
and that's not a fanboyism, that's a FACT

The exclusives aren't enough to justify the difference of 12 millions. 360 also has exclusives and they matter too. The only fact here is the world is not only North America and UK, people tend to form their opinions only based on that markets and forget that they are not only places where they sell software.

Baki said:
Nope. 18M is still very good sales.

I'm not saying it's not very good sales because it is. It would be more than the PS3 and 360 ever sold in a fiscal year, the only question is why would Nintendo forecast a drop in sales even when they have the possibility to inject some life in the system, launching Wii's with different colors and another price drop (especially in Europe)?

deepbrown

NHale said:
The exclusives aren't enough to justify the difference of 12 millions. 360 also has exclusives and they matter too. The only fact here is the world is not only North America and UK, people tend to form their opinions only based on that markets and forget that they are not only places where they sell software.
Well it's clearly due to Europe and Japan. No other reasons come close to those kind of numbers.

Dynoro

spwolf said:
i very much doubt that... UK has very large portion of 360 gamers, why would not they buy Forza 3 which got great reviews?

At the same time, GT5P sales were excellent, especially in Europe, despite competition... so nope.
My point is; people who love GT will have bought a PS3 for GT5P. The people who like it a lot will have bought a PS3 already for the other driving games on the PS3 (or the rest of the PS3's vast game catalogue). Those with a 360 now have Forza to keep them happy. There will be some who adore GT and still haven't bought a PS3 but this will not be the same level as with previous GT releases due to the excessively long development cycle which has allowed competitors a bit of the GT pie. The GT series sells crazy well; but coming this late in the console cycle means that the PS3 bump will not be as massive imo.

spwolf

Dynoro said:
My point is; people who love GT will have bought a PS3 for GT5P. The people who like it a lot will have bought a PS3 already for the other driving games on the PS3 (or the rest of the PS3's vast game catalogue). Those with a 360 now have Forza to keep them happy. There will be some who adore GT and still haven't bought a PS3 but this will not be the same level as with previous GT releases due to the excessively long development cycle which has allowed competitors a bit of the GT pie. The GT series sells crazy well; but coming this late in the console cycle means that the PS3 bump will not be as massive imo.

your point is wrong though :D. While there might not be some huge bump, there will be bump, and certainly heavy hitter like GT releasing is what drives your sales in general.

Looking at those GT5P sales, competition has done nothing to GT franchise... Sony is its own worst enemy here.

Baki

NHale said:

I'm not saying it's not very good sales because it is. It would be more than the PS3 and 360 ever sold in a fiscal year, the only question is why would Nintendo forecast a drop in sales even when they have the possibility to inject some life in the system, launching Wii's with different colors and another price drop (especially in Europe)?

They did the new colours thing last fiscal year (in EU). They don't have the same "momentum" they had last year. Last year they had a trifecta of system selling software in addition to better Q1 sales.

Dynoro

spwolf said:
your point is wrong though :D. While there might not be some huge bump, there will be bump, and certainly heavy hitter like GT releasing is what drives your sales in general.

Looking at those GT5P sales, competition has done nothing to GT franchise... Sony is its own worst enemy here.
My point might well be wrong :lol I'm sure there will be a bump; but it won't be massive and it won't be anywhere near the bump Sony would have got if they hadn't released GT5P (though that was necessary at the time and gave its own big bump). I think Sony will reach their target but I do not think GT will be a big reason for this. GT5 will sell like crazy there is no doubt there though :D

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
15m is 'only' 2m more than the last FY.

The last FY that 'only' had Slim for 6 months i.e. had a much poorer opening 6 months than it should have in the first 6 months of this FY.

So...is it really THAT outrageous? Or are we expecting a collapse in YoY sales in the back-half of the FY this year for some reason?

Anyway, back to last FY, and they on-the-spot made their 13m (which, btw, people said last year was outrageous...). The fact they did 13m and no more makes me highly suspect that the supply constraints in the first quarter were budgetary. That Sony couldn't afford to make any more PS3s, basically :p

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just wondering and nothing fanboyish... How is the PS3-360 gap compared to these past fiscal years?

Baki

ULTROS! said:
Just wondering and nothing fanboyish... How is the PS3-360 gap compared to these past fiscal years?

Gap between PS3 and 360 is 4.5M. If SCE delivers on their estimates, and MS remains relatively flat YoY, the PS3 would surpass the Xbox 360.

noobie said:
Doesnt Sony give any numbers of its First Party Software titles .. will like to get some info on them.

I would like to know this as well.

Serenity

OldJadedGamer said:
I don't remember anyone laughing at all. Basically, Sony announcing the 13million pretty much was pre-verification that they were dropping the price. The only people were laughing were the ones saying there was no way they could reach those numbers *without* a price cut. It would have been impossible for them to hit 13 million with an ugly fat unit selling for $399

Really because you were leading the parade of sony hasn't met their targets in the past and you kept anticipating that they would revise down.

deepbrown

Baki said:
Gap between PS3 and 360 is 4.5M. If SCE delivers on their estimates, and MS remains relatively flat YoY, the PS3 would surpass the Xbox 360.

I would like to know this as well.
Don't think 360 will stay flat. Natal and price cut - I'd put 360 sales at around 12 million. So the gap will be just 1.5 million

MrPliskin

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised to see no price cut at all, and instead see a $299 move bundle. You never know with Sony though...

Baki

deepbrown said:
Don't think 360 will stay flat. Natal and price cut - I'd put 360 sales at around 12 million. So the gap will be just 1.5 million

To be fair, MS had their best quarter ever in the US but still went down YoY. I think we've come to a point that an increase in price gap between the PS3/X360 is no longer an incentive to new users to jump on the 360 within other regions. So even if they are up YoY in the states, they won't generate the same sales they did in EU/Japan that they did in 2008 (which lead to their best Q3 performance). In addition to this, Q1 and Q2 of the fiscal year will most likely be down compared to last fiscal year. So at most, they will equal the performance of their best FY performance which was 11M.

MrPliskin said:
I wouldn't be surprised to see no price cut at all, and instead see a $299 move bundle. You never know with Sony though...
Sony should do this:

For the states:

$299 MOVE Bundle (MOVE, Camera and Game)
$299 Game Bundle (New Game (e.g. LBP 2/SOCOM 4/GT5) and a BD)
$299 Game Bundle (Two Greatest Hits Game (e.g. Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2) and a BD)

For Europe:

Price cut of the standard 120GB to £219.99/€249.99 (from £249.99/€299.99).

and

€299/£249 250GB PS3 MOVE Bundle (MOVE, Camera and Game)
€299/£249 250GB PS3 Game Bundle (New Game (e.g. LBP 2/SOCOM 4/GT5) and a BD)
€299/£249 250GB PS3 Game Bundle (Two Greatest Hits Game (e.g. Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2) and a BD)

For Japan:

29,980 yen MOVE Bundle (MOVE, Camera and Game)
29,980 yen Bundle (New Game (e.g. LBP 2/SOCOM 4/GT5) and a BD)
29,980 yen Bundle (Two Greatest Hits Game (e.g. Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2) and a BD)

So essentially, add more perceived value to the PS3 without dropping the price. But in Europe there is some latitude to price-dropping so drop the price.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
MrPliskin said:

And an HDD size increase perhaps.

Dynoro

deepbrown said:
If there is a 360slim I can see a bump from that too - with Sony and MS being close by the end of the FY

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
deepbrown said:
Don't think 360 will stay flat. Natal and price cut - I'd put 360 sales at around 12 million.

Given the level of hope in some quarters for Natal's impact on 360 sales, and talk of a 360 slim also, it would be strange if their forecast fell short of PS3's from its previous year.

It's an interesting question though, what MS expects Natal will do. Will their forecast meet or beat PS3s? I guess we'll find out in July.

szaromir

Banned
A lot depends on the actual Natal line-up - I don't expect anything good out of it, but who knows... Move's line-up shown so far is a disaster, so I don't expect muchof a boost from it for Sony.

Baki

gofreak said:
Given the level of hope in some quarters for Natal's impact on 360 sales, and talk of a 360 slim also, it would be strange if their forecast fell short of PS3's from its previous year.

It's an interesting question though, what MS expects Natal will do. Will their forecast meet or beat PS3s? I guess we'll find out in July.

Its very unlikely for their forecast to be anything near 13M. Simply because the 360 is weak in two key regions Japan and to a lesser extent Europe.

gofreak said:
The fact they did 13m and no more makes me highly suspect that the supply constraints in the first quarter were budgetary. That Sony couldn't afford to make any more PS3s, basically :p

Thats exactly what I was thinking.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
People talking about insane price cuts should realize that Sony just had a phenomenal year and lost $900 million USD. A $100 price cut means they lose another $100 million extra next year. Do you guys really think they're in a position to lose more money?

Baki

[Nintex] said:
Based on these results I don't think we'll see a PSP2 this year.

What..8M estimated for PSP and you don't expect a PSP 2 this fiscal year (not calendar since SCE may have been caught sitting on their hands). :lol :lol

Stumpokapow said:
People talking about insane price cuts should realize that Sony just had a phenomenal year and lost $900 million USD. A $100 price cut means they lose another $100 million extra next year. Do you guys really think they're in a position to lose more money?

I expect fall bundles or a super slim (remove the internal PSU). But even then max $50 price cut.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
hxa155 said:
How about Sony making another SKU for the ps3:

$199
no wi-fi
40GB

kinda like the 360 arcade

40GB would probably cost them as much as a 120GB. Wifi is dirt cheap.

The cost saving ain't there to bridge $100.

I don't think Sony will be rushing to get to $199 this year. $249? More likely.

[Nintex]

Baki said:
What..8M estimated for PSP and you don't expect a PSP 2 this fiscal year (not calendar since SCE may have been caught sitting on their hands). :lol :lol
According to these figures they sold 9.9 million PSP's last year so I'd say that 8 million is a low number considering that the PSP has been near dead in the US and Europe for a while. A pricedrop combined with games like Monster Hunter Portable 3 could easiliy reach that target.

Stumpokapow said:
I can see it happen but it won't be a smart thing to do. If this is their focus on 'profitability' I wonder what would've happened if they went for marketshare.

Baki

[Nintex] said:
According to these figures they sold 9.9 million PSP's last year so I'd say that 8 million is a low number considering that the PSP has been near dead in the US and Europe for a while. A pricedrop combined with games like Monster Hunter Portable 3 could easiliy reach that target.

I can see it happen but it won't be a smart thing to do. If this is their focus on 'profitability' I wonder what would've happened if they went for marketshare.

8M is pretty low for PSP though. They went from 14.1M --> 9.9M --> estimated 8M.

Its clear that the PSP is down the shitter on the HW side, time they ditched it and released a successor. Especially with the 3DS release imminent.

PS: By ditch it, I mean release a successor not ditch support. :p

I don't see how the 360 will grow in the market. When prices are similar, what comes into play to the average consumer is the brand name. In Europe and Asia, Microsoft cannot compete on brand name

Vinci

Danish
Wazzim said:
€200 Price point will kill every other console, it wouldn't even be fair anymore :lol

Nice of Sony to keep things fair.

Meus Renaissance said:
I don't see how the 360 will grow in the market. When prices are similar, what comes into play to the average consumer is the brand name. In Europe and Asia, Microsoft cannot compete on brand name

Depends on why they're buying it. The majority reason to buy a 360 over the PS3 that I see people mention is, "Well, my friends have it, so..."

Top Bottom