• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces HMZ-T2 3D Personal Viewer

Pachimari

Totally immersive gaming and movies
Now even more light and comfortable, the all-new Personal 3D Viewer from Sony is a head-mounted, High Definition 2D and 3D personal display with virtual 5.1 surround sound. It’s perfect for movies and gaming, with twin OLED screens that display vivid, super-sharp images (with zero cross-talk interference) to absorb you in a truly personal experience.

Clear, smooth, cinematic 3D viewing
The Personal 3D Viewer features dedicated, high response Organic Light-Emitting Diode (OLED) screens for each eye, which reproduces deep, vivid colour tones with sharp contrast and no blurring. And with a 45° field of vision, you’ll feel completely immersed in a widescreen cinema experience.

The HMZ-T2 also has a set of detachable and adjustable light shields for greater privacy and total involvement in your viewing experience. These flexible light shields simply clip on or off the Personal 3D Viewer, and are completely unobtrusive to the headset comfort and design.

Viewing perfection for film fans or gamers
The Personal 3D Viewer is made for both film enthusiasts and solid gamers. 24p True Cinema mode shows films exactly as the director intended for the big screen, at 24 frames per second. Or, if you’re a keen gamer, select the Clear mode for smooth fast-action sequences. Whatever you select, Auto Colour Temperature adjustment gradually lowers image tone intensity from blue to red hues so that you can watch or play your favourite movies/games comfortably for longer hours.

Lose yourself in 5.1 surround sound
With a choice of sound modes, the Personal 3D Viewer features Virtualphones™ technology to create a 360º natural sound field, just as though you’re listening to true 5.1 channel surround sound. There’s also Harmonic Equalizer technology built in, which restores audio compression losses in the digital waveform for a fuller, more spacious sound.

Lighter and more adjustable for wearing comfort
Weighing just 330g, the Personal 3D Viewer is 20% lighter than previous models, with greater options for wearing comfort. It has a highly adjustable headband and forehead support for a secure, gentle fit with positional screen lenses for relaxed and clear 3D viewing. You can also use your own favourite wired or wireless headphones or inner-ear phones to enjoy immersive surround sound.

“Everything about the HMZ-T2 Personal 3D Viewer is designed for comfort and total immersion,” says Naoto Yoshioka, Home Audio Video Senior Product Manager at Sony Europe, “so once you’re watching a film or playing a game, you’re totally absorbed in the thrilling action and forget you’re even wearing the headset.”

Source: Sony's Press Centre.

Seems like the big features are that the headphones are not attached, 20% lighter, more comfort customization, sharper displays and the Clear mode for gamers.

OXe0Ol.png

1-D_FTW

It should also be noted they're stressing sharper displays. As far as I know, they've only ever shown the 720P oleds and the new 1080P oleds. So if this is true, there's a very good chance they're using the new 1080p oleds.

detachable headphones is a HUGE win for those of us who sat out the first round.

...but it appears to still be 720p since they don't mention otherwise. I was very disappointed by the screen dooring in the original.

So if this is true, there's a very good chance they're using the new 1080p oleds.

Sony usually likes to make a point to mention stuff like that if they've made that kind of jump to "True HD". The absence of any mention at all speaks loudly.

If it is 1080p along with having detachable headphones, I'm in4one.

Ardenyal

What about the lag? is it fixed?
Might pick this up if they have addressed all the issues the first edition had.

Reallink

Can't believe they're using the same housing and mount design. It's like they read none of the criticism--aside from the removal of those God awful headphones. There are two pupilary sliders now, not sure if they just made them independent (worthless) or if they each adjust a different plane (great). It's possible one adjusts width and one adjusts depth.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Image of: So

patsu

Can't believe they're using the same housing and mount design. It's like they read none of the criticism--aside from the removal of those God awful headphones.

Need to see if the reduced weight makes the wearing more comfortable and balanced. T1 is too front heavy.

as a T1 owner, and soon to be Oculus owner, I am good with what I have, I think. I'm sure the inevitable T3 (or whatever) will start making me jealous.

sharper could be better optics, or it could be better displays.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
To those who bought the first one, do you still use it on a regular basis? Is Sony onto something here?

orioto

Good Art™
Being one of the ones who bought the first one, and returned it to Sony... It was SO damn uncomfortable and sensitive to caliber... 20% lighter with the same design won't be enough at all....

patsu

Make it not stupidly expensive & im there!

That's what I think too. They should have an affordable version to seed the enthusiasm, and a higher end one for people who want perfection. The 720p version really would be amazing if the lighter weight makes wearing it comfortable enough.

To those who bought the first one, do you still use it on a regular basis? Is Sony onto something here?

i still use mine on a regular basis yes. you have to get used to it, and personally i find i have to take short breaks every hour or so, so i don't use it for films, but i do game a lot with it when a game supports 3D. a lighter, more comfortable version would somewhat help, but i'd imagine you'll still experience some awkward sensations from the picture following your head movements.

you need to learn to keep your head as still as possible.

the image lag isn't terrible, but it definately impacts me enough on certain things that i'd be more intrigued by the T2 if they announce it's gone.

orioto

Good Art™
I've read on some french site that it would be out in october and for 1000€ instead of 800, but i have no clue where they got this info... May be bullshit.

Link

f@luS

More than a member.
With my cushio, pad and pitch blackcover the first one is confortable. I like the headphond. I would jump only for 1080p this hmz t1 look more like 1.1

B.O.O.M

For now and for my next tv upgrade I just want a normal 1080p HDTV with Sony's Crystal LED tech, when Sony here were showing a prototype in the electronic show it was just beyond anything else.

Could you tell a bit more about it? I'm curious. Was the image quality that good? How does it compare to others, in your opinion?

Fixed1979

Mine has quite a bit of dust gathered on it for a few reasons.

1. I forget I own it.
  2. Uncomfortable for long usage.
  3. Pain in the ass to setup - I don't have a way to permanently plug it in for ease of use and haven't bothered to invest in a HDMI hub. It also takes a a couple minutes to get it on your head comfortably.

When I do use it I enjoy it and I still want to set up head motion on it for racing games. And I still get a kick out of using it for new 3D games (PC and PS3) and the occasional 3D movie. It is still the best 3D experience I have ever had, I don't believe there's a better product on the market from a pure 3d perspective. For the all the dust that's gathered on this there's twice as much on my Nvidia 3D glasses.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Looking at the pics of the inside, it seems like maybe you can adjust the forward/back distance for the lenses, there is a lip below the lenses which looks like a tray allowing them to move forwards.

Can't believe there is no over the head strap, big failing of the first one

I'm kinda relieved that it doesn't seem as a big upgrade*

Very glad to see Sony didn't abandon the project... I have a feeling Sony is trying to make a lower cost model with these.

* assuming this isn't 1080p, otherwise my T1 becomes junk :p

- J - D -

This stirs my tech envy, but as with the original, the price would probably be too prohibitive for me to even consider considering buying.

DieH@rd

Banned
I dont mind the same rez [its already mighty fine as it is], I just want lowered price.

edit - 1000€ SHHHHHIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET

Mindlog

I really don't see a modest price increase having a substantial negative effect on sales. Everything is going to ride on the general user consensus of the T1.

Happy to hear... that they addressed the audio issue. Nice work on that Sony.

Top Bottom