• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces partnership w/ KojiPro, New IP, 1st game "console exclusive to PS4"/PC

Because as soon as he hears the words "Console Exclusive" he has to tell everyone who owns a console that they have low standards and are how they're fucking up his glorious PC experience.

https://twitter.com/Totalbiscuit/status/677024710518038528

Haven't really seen much from this guy, but he really sounds like a pompous douchebag.

But to be on topic i really did not expect this so soon. Can't wait to see what Kojima has in store.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I love Sony for their willingness to invest in smaller, more experimental titles, and to support developers' visions. But they need to be careful about giving them too much freedom. Polyphony digital is one example where IMO they could do with a little focus, and Kojima is clearly another.

Investing in creative visionaries is fantastic, but giving them free reign isn't.

I just see some sort of futuristic helmet. Quick mock up.

KojimaProductions_sml.jpg~original

Awesome, i hope whatever his next thing is its cyberpunk.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Guys, we're talking about an independent developer being funded by a console publisher.

This is not really the soap box for the evils of paying a third party publisher to keep a game off a competing console. We have like 20 other threads for that if you're looking to have that debate.

Head.spawn

He believes the PC version will suffer cuz it'll be developed first on console which is weird cuz I could have sworn MGSV ran great if not better on PC.

It seemed more like he wasn't aware of a PC version and took "console exclusive" literally, like some people here did.

Psoelberg

Wow.... Just wow. That is some news to wake up to- and the same day I'm going to see Star Wars. Today is going to be great:)

I'm really excited to see what kind of franchise Kojima will create now.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
The big three have deep pockets, perfect for funding Kojima games, there's no need to shit up the thread with "fuck exclusives", etc.

I'm happy I only have to wait for Rise of the Tomb Raider, but I wouldn't expect, say, Rare Replay on a platform I own and I won't complain about it. Exclusives make a lot of sense, bitching does not.

However, "console exclusive" sounds like PS4 and PC, bizarrely, like SFV. As if PC ecosystems aren't a competitor for mindshare...I have no idea what Sony is thinking businesswise tbh in agreeing to a deal like that. This is literally just "not Xbox" rather than exclusivity, and considering that Japan and Europe are Sony console territory anyways, these limited deals are bizarre because they barely exist.

This isn't like Bloodborne, though that had SCE Japan Studio involved, that was a third-party exclusive otherwise.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Are we pretending like this new game is actually coming out in the PS4's lifecycle?

If we assume a 3-4 year development cycle, it'd be at the extreme tail end of the PS4 and maybe cross-gen if we assume the latter half of that.

I'd be surprised if they actually went 7 years again, but it's not impossible.

PSOreo

Two Christmas miracles so far this week! Jon and Arin reunited on Jontron and now Hideo Kojima joining forces with PlayStation. So happy for him to be free and I can't wait to see what is next for him. Lets hope Force Awakens turns out to be amazing tonight making it third,

Kain

This TB character seems like a fun chap to be around, good lord. Thanks for the heads up!

Was this supposed to read Sony and not MS? Because I'm racking my brain trying to figure out what Microsoft has done lately to even be considered on a roll.

I was being sarcastic, MS can't catch a break lately. I mean, this could have been a good opportunity for them after the so-so sales and reception of the new Tomb Raider, but no, they can only silently watch as one of the most important japanese developers side with Sony again.

Helldivers is a Sony IP through and through. I would assume that Sony let them port helldivers because Magicka 2 didn't do too well and they have a good relationship.

Arrowhead had nothing to do with Magicka 2 and you're kidding yourself if you think Sony just let them port Helldivers on a whim. A late PC port would've been written into the contract from day one. Same thing happened with CounterSpy, which was later ported to iOS/Android.

Regardless, there's no point speculating about a PC port when the game doesn't even have a name yet.

We're years away from the first game ever getting released but I think it being an independent studio and not a first party studio of Sony shows that we'll possibly see a few different things. There's the Respawn and Titanfall thing where they went with Xbox to get Titanfall going and are now making a sequel and another game which are multiplatform. The Platinum route which sees publishers getting games whether exclusive to a console or multiplatform. Finally there's the Remedy outlook where they maintain being third party while making games for a first party like Quantam Break.

Why do you keep comparing this with Titanfall? Aside from coming across like extremely hopeful thinking, it doesn't even make any sense, they're two completely different scenarios. Titanfall already had a publisher, EA, but the game went way over budget and EA didn't want to front the bill, so Microsoft stepped in and got exclusivity for the first game in exchange. Here, Sony's made this deal from day one and there's no other publisher in the frame.

F4r0_Atak

if Sony owns the IP doubt it will come to pc, Sony is the publisher most likely.

we'll know for sure in the coming days.

As a console-first player, it didn't stop SCE to publish Helldivers, an IP they own, on PC through Steam (with the Sony Mobile alias). I guess it will depend on the deal Kojima signed for. So it is possible that this new IP will be owned by SCE. Will have to wait and see... :p

Ploid 3.0

I hope Hai lady is back at Koji Pro.

I'm a huge MGS fan and I'm very very happy. Kojima can finally make something else. He was pretty much done with the franchise after MGS2. It's been way too long. Let MGS die please, its over.

Yeah, MGS shouldn't keep going with nothing left to torture the characters for. Should have finished at 4, going to the past just mess things up a bit. Time Paradox (like the Rex being different in the future).

GAMEPROFF

Banned
As a console-first player, it didn't stop SCE to publish Helldivers, an IP they own, on PC through Steam (with the Sony Mobile alias). I guess it will depend on the deal Kojima signed for. So it is possible that this new IP will be owned by SCE. Will have to wait and see... :p

Yeah, Helldivers.
Thats not exactly a guarantee that they release AAA titles.

Denton

there would be nothing to separate consoles then

sounds like stealth port begging (your post)

Well it would be things like differences in performance, quality of service, price, design etc

I am not port begging because I have owned PC+PS combo since 1996, it does not make that much difference to me personally. But in general it just sucks, I was happy to see go Divinity and Wasteland to consoles and MGS to PC and all the other games go to all the possible platforms. It is a good thing for industry in general.

And that is my last post on this topic in this thread:

Guys, we're talking about an independent developer being funded by a console publisher.

This is not really the soap box for the evils of paying a third party publisher to keep a game off a competing console. We have like 20 other threads for that if you're looking to have that debate.

The big three have deep pockets, perfect for funding Kojima games, there's no need to shit up the thread with "fuck exclusives", etc.

I'm happy I only have to wait for Rise of the Tomb Raider, but I wouldn't expect, say, Rare Replay on a platform I own and I won't complain about it. Exclusives make a lot of sense, bitching does not.

However, "console exclusive" sounds like PS4 and PC, bizarrely, like SFV. As if PC ecosystems aren't a competitor for mindshare...I have no idea what Sony is thinking businesswise tbh in agreeing to a deal like that. This is literally just "not Xbox" rather than exclusivity.
Well if they publish it or help fund it and it's exclusive to their platform and a supplementary platform, they make more money.

Awesome, i hope whatever his next thing is its cyberpunk.
reminds me a lot of how ZOE head design but darn would something like Snatcher be great

could see it being something similar to both and sort of explore the concepts of sapien to homo luden, what it means to be man, what it means to to play

bitbydeath

Gold Member
What if the reason behind the cancellation and store removal of Silent Hills was due to Kojima securing the rights of it for his new company.

tumblr_static_bday_-_copy.gif

Top Bottom