• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces partnership w/ KojiPro, New IP, 1st game "console exclusive to PS4"/PC

Voyevoda

mZpACNH.gif

40373387c7ae5f938e5cdcefc8f29e3d92cb653232d559hq.gif

Honestly making PT would be possible if they were able to start essentially from zero. They can't use any assets or ideas that were written down while working in Konami as far as I'm aware

But this would be the time to make it first person and have Del Toro and his team design every creature.

I think you are even sadder than those "some posters" to be frank.

Anyways, please continue P.T., Kojima. Do not make action games please, we have a dozen of those already out there. Please continue and complete P.T.: there is simply nothing out there like it, a truly masterful creation of horror. Make it episodic, or whatever, just do it please :(

Why? Because I am not irrationally pissed off about a game not coming to my 300 dollar console of choice?

It was a wise business decision from Sony. For all we know the game would be impossible without the backing/funding from Sony

DeathPeak

Dat depression beard. Can't wait for this! I'd definitely want it to be a horror game, but I'm excited for anything new from Kojima.

Melchiah

Great to hear, that he rouse from the Konami incident seemingly unscathed. Let the new IP be a spiritual successor to Silent Hills. It's also good to have the rumors about SH moving to XBO put to rest.

As for the exclusivity, it shouldn't be surprise considering his past relations with Sony.
"I will be taking on a new challenge by establishing my own independent studio, and I am thrilled to be able to embark on this journey with PlayStation, who I have continued to work with all these past years,"

On a side note, I wonder will Kuchera write an article about how this exclusivity will also increase sales and profits like the TR one?

Alo0oy

Banned
No way huh? Someone check for me if Helldivers magically disappeared on PC?

The last AAA game published by SCE on PC was Twisted Metal in the mid-nineties. I don't think Helldivers concerns Sony that much.

The IP is likely owned by KojiPro because there is no recent precedent to suggest otherwise.

repeater

Big Boss working under Cypher:

OWaBDHh.png

Big boss working for himself, free from the clutches of Cypher:

o0JEub8.png

Kojima working under Konami:

3WOo2DZ.png

Kojima working for himself, free from the clutches of Konami:

Jd0zTzj.jpg
Probably not a coincidence that Kojima grew a beard either. Looking forward to seeing him rocking an eyepatch next!

bitbydeath

Actually those with PT tied to their account, they can redownload it right now with this workaround.

Well it would make sense for why Konami said nothing about it (bound by contract).

Why Del Toro flip flopped on working in games (must not have got the memo)

And why Norman Reedus recently spoke on Silent Hills to be worked on again in future (hint)

Ran rp

Guy Savage, a minigame in MGS3 where Snake has a nightmare.

A dream sequence from MGS3.

Secret vampire game you get to play in MGS 3

MGS3 dream sequence I believe.

It's a game hidden in MGS3. It was a cross promotion at konami. It was some easily forgotten third person action game. about a vampire. It appeared as a dream sequence.

One of the Easter Eggs in MGS 3 (removed from Remaster and 3DS version), it's an extremely small piece of what seems to be a character-action game. Was longtime rumored to be a supposed Castlevania idea Kojima had going. Called "Guy Savage" I believe.

i can't believe i've never heard of or seen this before

this series man

watdaeff4

The IP is likely owned by KojiPro because there is no recent precedent to suggest otherwise.

Unless we are misunderstanding each other again or I'm ignorant, doesn't your avatar contradict what you are saying

(I.e. I thought Sony owned the Bloodborne IP)

tzare

makes sense. Kojima probably needs real money for his new project and after the rumours about MGSV's budget...... the only viable option was going 'exclusive' instead of finding a publisher like EA or Activision with limited budget and time.
And this generation, with ps4 domination, Sony makes the most sense (plus historically tied to PS platforms) .
Maybe in the 360 era MS would've payed for exclusivity since their marketshare was bigger.
Well at least it seems that the game will eventually release on PC so i think it is quite an open approach from Sony for some of their 'exclusivity' deals.

I'm super glad to see the man land on his feet. I just hope that first game is a hit. Hate to see him end up in the niche hole others of his cut seem to fall into when divorced from their mother publishers.

wapplew

Kojima, independent, new IP, proper AAA(?) funded by good publisher.
Let's just celebrate that.

I hope Kojima able to create another iconic game character.

Alo0oy

Banned
Unless we are misunderstanding each other again or I'm ignorant, doesn't your avatar contradict what you are saying

(I.e. I thought Sony owned the Bloodborne IP)

It's the opposite, it's not on PC because the IP is owned by Sony, if FROM owned the IP then there would be a PC port by now since Dark Souls games usually sell ~1 million on PC.

eFKac

Smartest way to approach this.

Kojima is talented but Sony better than anyone besides Konami knows about Kojima in a workplace. So a partnership first, test the waters, see how the mutual relationship unfolds, whether he proves himself with a new IP.

Then if it's all positive, merge with Kojima Productions. Looking forward to what comes out of this.

Top Bottom