• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces PS4 Pro, $399, November 10th

I mean, it's just a PS4 and not a new, new, console launch (I'm hype tho).

I'm hyped. It's a more powerful PS4, that's all I want. I think Sony has done a shit job of selling it, so I get why there are people who don't care. But, all I really care about is that it's a more powerful system. I also have a 4k HDR TV. I'd be buying one still if I didn't, though.

Ozorov

I have a 4K OLED but don't game on it - I don't care about 4K at all until I can get a reasonably-priced 4K projector...I'm content with better looking and performing 1080p games for now. Got two preordered - one for me and one for my son for Christmas. Can't wait!

Dad of the year right there!

Raven77

I have one pre ordered but the amount of speculation on the benefits of getting one if you don't own a 4k tv is alarming. Sony needs to start talking about and showing the actual benefits for non 4k gamers. They've mentioned possibilities like increased performance, better graphics, but we have almost no info on which games will offer those benefits outside of a small handful.

I just order a Ps4 Pro an a new TV.

Quick question:
Will there be specific Ps4 Pro versions of games or can I just buy normal Ps4 versions and put them into the Pro and get the visual advantages?
My specific problem is that I want to buy Battlefield 1 and play it on my Ps4 until the Pro arrives. Do I have to buy a Pro Version of the game then?

I just order a Ps4 Pro an a new TV.

Quick question:
Will there be specific Ps4 Pro versions of games or can I just buy normal Ps4 versions and put them into the Pro and get the visual advantages?
My specific problem is that I want to buy Battlefield 1 and play it on my Ps4 until the Pro arrives. Do I have to buy a Pro Version of the game then?

Only one version will be available for purchase at retail that will work on both SKUs. You have nothing to worry about. :)

chadskin

I have one pre ordered but the amount of speculation on the benefits of getting one if you don't own a 4k tv is alarming. Sony needs to start talking about and showing the actual benefits for non 4k gamers. They've mentioned possibilities like increased performance, better graphics, but we have almost no info on which games will offer those benefits outside of a small handful.

I think (or rather, I hope) they wanted to get the PSVR launch out of the way and will soon talk more about PS4 Pro because I'd like to hear more about the benefits of the Pro for 1080p TVs as well.

OmegaDL50

I was planning on buying a new 4K TV soon, since I've been using a 32 Inch 1080p HDTV for my primary display for the past 8 years or so.

Also I've been meaning to upgrade the HDD in my PS4 from it's 500GB default. So selling my current PS4 to my one of my co-workers at work kills that need to be 4K ready on my PS4 and the 1TB HDD is also fills a checkmark.

The old 32 Inch HDTV was probably holding my PC back anyways, seeing as I just refreshed my build with a i7 6600k and a GTX 1070, so moving on to a 4K HDR display is just sensible at this point.

My pre-order is already in, so November 10th can't arrive any sooner. First game I have to actually test on it is probably The Last of Us Remastered. Shame about Bloodborne not getting any performance improvement though, but not a dealbreaker.

At least I got FFXV in Pro mode or whatever to look forward to.

SeanR1221

The 2tb drive I have in my current PS4 can just go into the pro right?

Although I have to admit I'm considering switching to a 1tb SSHD. It would be a big space downgrade but might be worth it for the upgraded speed.

Unknown?

I feel like people are expecting a PS4 level of hype for the PRO. The console is going up against itself, no XBOX or Nintendo counterpart to fight as they haven't been released yet. The PRO will do fine, I'm just worried about the SLIM, that console needs to pick up the pace or it would just be a useless paperweight.

If the SLIM isn't at least 50% of Sony's future sales, I hope they limit it or discontinue it after 2018.
The slim is still selling well it still has to compete with old stock and people waiting for the Pro but it will undoubtedly do best on Black Friday.

Temujen

Neo Member
If the same version of the OS is installed and you use the same PSN-ID, why wouldn't it work?

And, more importantly, why would they lie about it?

Kyoufu

The 2tb drive I have in my current PS4 can just go into the pro right?

Although I have to admit I'm considering switching to a 1tb SSHD. It would be a big space downgrade but might be worth it for the upgraded speed.

Buy a 2TB Firecuda SSHD when it launches instead.

Motooni

Pre-ordered one of these for a 1080p TV. I can't remember if I was on the fence, but when I saw FFXV would make use I thought 'Ah...' and since I impulse purchased a PSVR, I'll be needing one to fix the jaggies.

DBT85

Wait so you can't just throw the HDD in? Why?

Iirc the hdd (or I should say, the data on it) becomes linked to the hardware in which it is installed. Same way you can't take it from one PS4 to another without wiping it.

I'll wait and see what an ssd actually offers before using one. I still have the 840 evo from the OG launch knocking about since I got one of the swanky nvme m.2 drives on my pc. Such speed. Much transfer.

Oni Jazar

What are people's reason for getting it day one? VR? New tech?

I have it pre-ordered but I don't see a point in getting it. Think I'll just wait.

Games like Battlefield One with minimum 1080p resolution and more solid framerate is enough for me. You don't need 4k for those benefits. I think even games that offer 4k your 1080p will get the downscaling benefits reducing AA. I'm there day uno.

If the same version of the OS is installed and you use the same PSN-ID, why wouldn't it work?

And, more importantly, why would they lie about it?
When you said "keep all data on it", I think the Sony rep read that as "store all data on it", not "retain all existing data on it."

When you put that drive in the Pro you'll have to wipe it. You'd need to back it up first to an external drive first from the PS4, and then you can restore that data onto the PS4 Pro after the internal drive gets wiped. The internal drive gets encrypted and I believe its locked to the PS4's UUID, so the drive data isn't transferable. Your PSN ID isn't involved in any way.

Lady Gaia

People bought remastered games for incrementally better graphics, and this is much the same. Many also find the "slim" iterations of a console attractive for much less obvious reasons.

For me? I'm an unapologetic technophile. I look forward to seeing what each new step forward in console technology brings to the table, and I enjoy Sony exclusives enough that I can't wait to see them pushing into new territory in terms of graphical fidelity. The promise of Horizon: Zero Dawn and the new God of War with even better graphical fidelity than we've seen so far has me salivating.

There are definitely little touches I appreciate as well. The addition of a rear USB port is a plus, as is 5GHz and 802.11ac support. I'm hopeful that they reworked the antenna to improve Bluetooth reception while they were at it, but presumably moving WiFi traffic to another frequency band will help minimize interference regardless of what else they've done.

BTW, the PS4 Pro is now Amazon's 100th best selling 2016 video game product. I wonder how high it can reach with only a few months left.
It's already sold better than any regular PS4 SKU this year besides the Call of Duty bundle (though it's way behind that).

Versus Xbox One, there are only three models that have sold better all year than PS4Pro has in the last month:
#97, the original "name your free game" Xbox; PS4P will almost surely pass this
#84, the 2TB launch S; PS4P has a chance to pass this as well
#64, the original One Gears bundle; this is very likely out of reach

I don't think resolution works like this
Screen%20Shot%202016-09-07%20at%203.14.52%20PM.png
It does, if what you're showing is "area that can be displayed at a certain level of detail". That's a less common comparison than "how different is the level of detail for the same area", but it isn't any less true.

Temujen

Neo Member
When you said "keep all data on it", I think the Sony rep read that as "store all data on it", not "retain all existing data on it."

Yeah... That's nonsense, sorry. You're saying that they thought my question was whether I can actually use the SSD in the PS4 Pro to store things (opposed to it just being decorative?). They are not that stupid.

commonman27

Neo Member
Part of the reason I pre-ordered one is my assumption that some older games that are not specifically updated for the pro might still run smoother than before. For example, they might have the same overall frame rate, but have less frame rate dips just due to the higher clocked cpu and better gpu. I had Bloodborne in mind. Would it be incorrect to think that's a possibility?

andshrew

Part of the reason I pre-ordered one is my assumption that some older games that are not specifically updated for the pro might still run smoother than before. For example, they might have the same overall frame rate, but have less frame rate dips just due to the higher clocked cpu and better gpu. I had Bloodborne in mind. Would it be incorrect to think that's a possibility?

I still hope this will be the case; but everything Sony has said suggests it will have two configuration 'profiles' standard and pro. If the game doesn't support the pro then it will run in the standard profile exactly as it did on original hardware.

GazzaGSi

I'm ready. New 4k TV ordered and Pro on pre order. Been looking at 4k TV's for a while but haven't really got any content for 4k so never took the plunge. Now there's a console that will support 4k and work/family aside I live on the console so there's definitely now the reason for me to jump in both feet first.

commonman27

Neo Member
I still hope this will be the case; but everything Sony has said suggests it will have two configuration 'profiles' standard and pro. If the game doesn't support the pro then it will run in the standard profile exactly as it did on original hardware.

Right, thanks

score01

If it was that simple to just take a harddrive out of one PS4 & just put it in another PS4 & play the games people would find a way to hack it be selling cloned handdrives filled with games.

Didn't the 360 work in this way? Pretty sure you could just swap drives with that. Would be good if you could do this.

onQ123

Didn't the 360 work in this way? Pretty sure you could just swap drives with that. Would be good if you could do this.

360's also work without a harddrive

Edit: unless they have added some on board flash to the PS4 Pro to make it easier for HDD upgrading ,

Bsigg12

If it was that simple to just take a harddrive out of one PS4 & just put it in another PS4 & play the games people would find a way to hack it be selling cloned handdrives filled with games.

You can take a external HDD from one Xbox One to another and play games without needing to redownload anything. You only have to be logged into the owners Gamertag.

What's the current going price for a 20th Anniversary PS4? I was thinking about selling mine for a Pro.

SeanR1221

Iirc the hdd (or I should say, the data on it) becomes linked to the hardware in which it is installed. Same way you can't take it from one PS4 to another without wiping it.

I'll wait and see what an ssd actually offers before using one. I still have the 840 evo from the OG launch knocking about since I got one of the swanky nvme m.2 drives on my pc. Such speed. Much transfer.

That's fucking dumb.

Just make it linked to your PSN account.

I might keep it in the PS4 then so I can sell it for a little more.

Have the mentioned how the transfer process will work? I thought they said more info was coming soon about that.

Will the UI navigation benefit with the power of PS4 pro?

As the PS4's UI though offers a smoother experience, it's still not perfectly fast and lag free. Say scrolling from left to right or top bottom or vice versa.

I know this may not be a popular option, but would it be possible for Sony to do a peripheral 4k Blu-ray drive (Ala like the hd -DVD Microsoft tried with the 360?). Would they even be likely to do this?

I'm on the fence. I'll wait until December to see if games take more advantage of it than just 4K. I'm not going to get a 4K TV for a while, so I'm going to wait a bit before I purchase.

ViciousDS

Banned
I have a 4k TV however I think I'm just going to leave my S hooked up to it for movies and move to my mx279h for the pro. I can't get away from that monitor......it's my baby and has a fucking awesome quality picture. HDR is really infant gaming wise and I've seen the advantages personally on my own TV. But to me it's still really not all that and isn't a huge deal to me.

Will be 1080p gaming for me next month! Bring on super sampling bitches!!!!

onQ123

I know this may not be a popular option, but would it be possible for Sony to do a peripheral 4k Blu-ray drive (Ala like the hd -DVD Microsoft tried with the 360?). Would they even be likely to do this?

Why do that when they can just release a UHD Blu-ray player that can stream over your network?

LifEndz

I'm on the fence. I'll wait until December to see if games take more advantage of it than just 4K. I'm not going to get a 4K TV for a while, so I'm going to wait a bit before I purchase.

This would be my position if the added power only went towards HDR and 4k rendering, but the better running games on my 1080p set has me ready to commit day one. Plus after I sell my PS4 it'll be a relatively affordable upgrade.

eFKac

I have it pre-ordered but I don't see a point in getting it. Think I'll just wait.

Lmao wtf is the idea behind getting something preordered with no intention of buying that stuff?

We've seen it with PSVR already.

Is it just to fuck with people who are not as quick to preorder and force them to wait in a line on Day 1?

Lmao wtf is the idea behind getting something preordered with no intention of buying that stuff?

We've seen it with PSVR already.

Is it just to fuck with people who are not as quick to preorder and force them to wait in a line on Day 1?

A great way to scalp, especially if stock is low.

onQ123

That would be more expensive than an add-on though. And they could bundle it with a pro, ending the idea that the one s can do something the pro cant.

I really don't think Sony care enough about UHD Blu-ray to make a add-on for it. In fact I think they want it to die & would rather use the older Blu-ray drives for 4K & only upgrade the drive standard when it's something more than 100GB.

There is other Blu-ray tech that could have been playable in standard Blu-ray players with a FW upgrade for higher capacity but UHD Blu-ray is using the tech that needed a new drive so that's probably where the hold up is with Sony.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray

In January 2007, Hitachi showcased a 100 GB Blu-ray Disc, consisting of four layers containing 25 GB each.[78] Unlike TDK and Panasonic's 100 GB discs, they claim this disc is readable on standard Blu-ray Disc drives that are currently in circulation, and it is believed that a firmware update is the only requirement to make it readable to current players and drives.[79] In December 2008, Pioneer Corporation unveiled a 400 GB Blu-ray Disc (containing 16 data layers, 25 GB each) that will be compatible with current players after a firmware update. Its planned launch is in the 2009–10 time frame for ROM and 2010–13 for rewritable discs. Ongoing development is underway to create a 1 TB Blu-ray Disc as soon as 2013.[80]

On July 20, 2010, the research team of Sony and Japanese Tohoku University announced the joint development of a blue-violet laser,[82] which will help in creating Blu-ray discs with a capacity of 1 TB using only two layers (and potentially more than 1 TB with additional layering). By comparison, the first blue laser was invented in 1996, with the first prototype discs coming four years later.

On January 7, 2013, Sony announced that it would release "Mastered in 4K" Blu-ray Disc titles which are sourced at 4K and encoded at 1080p.[83] "Mastered in 4K" Blu-ray Disc titles can be played on existing Blu-ray Disc players and will have a larger color space using xvYCC.[83][84] On January 14, 2013, Blu-ray Disc Association president, Andy Parsons, stated that a task force was created three months prior to conduct a study concerning an extension to the Blu-ray Disc specification that would add the ability to contain 4K Ultra HD video.[85][86]

On August 5, 2015, The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) announced it will commence licensing the Ultra HD Blu-ray format starting August 24, 2015. The Ultra HD Blu-ray format will deliver high dynamic range content that significantly expands the range between the brightest and darkest elements, expanded color range, high frame rate (up to 60p) and up-to 3840x2160 resolution, object-based sound formats, and an optional "digital bridge" feature. New players will be required to play this format, which will be able to play both DVDs, traditional Blu-rays and the new format. New Ultra HD Blu-ray discs hold up to 66 GB and 100 GB of data on dual and triple layer discs respectively.[87]

UHD Blu-ray is using a new drive standard to add 33GB to what Blu-ray can already do when other tech could have been used that only needed a FW update & I don't think Sony was in agreement with the move & probably still have plans to release 4K Blu-ray that can be played on PS4.

Top Bottom