• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces PS4 Pro, $399, November 10th

nemisis0

Is it worth getting this if you're a 1080p tv owner?

Not jumping on board the 4k train until i can get a 40 to 50 inch 4k hdr 10 tv for under £800.

I feel its a bit of a compromise and 4k will only be really relevant next generation.

You can get a ks7000 on ebay for around that price if you want to.

Freeman76

Looks good but not worth the release price if you dont have 4k tv, anyone expecting noticeable improvements on a 1080p tv will likely be dissapointed. Maybe in a few months time it will be a little cheaper or at least bundled with a game.

valkyre

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-4k-gaming-on-ps4-pro-tech-analysis

I think this is a good article by Digital Foundry.

Sorry if it has been posted already, but my main "concern" here is that, basis what DF says in there, a few PS4 PRO titles seem to have worse performance than base PS4 games, like Deus Ex , COD.

Sure, games are not released yet, but should this be a concern in general?

I certainly dont want to upgrade and end up with worse performance... that would be failure on a pretty much epic scale...

DJwest

Sorry if it has been posted already, but my main "concern" here is that, basis what DF says in there, a few PS4 PRO titles seem to have worse performance than base PS4 games, like Deus Ex , COD.

I did not think of this possibility at all, wow. Hopefully we can have the choice to select the version for each game that supports the Pro.

viHuGi

Banned
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-4k-gaming-on-ps4-pro-tech-analysis

I think this is a good article by Digital Foundry.

Sure, games are not released yet, but should this be a concern in general?

I certainly dont want to upgrade and end up with worse performance... that would be failure on a pretty much epic scale...

Old code, don´t worry about it, also if you play at 1080p you won´t suffer those.

valkyre

Old code, don´t worry about it, also if you play at 1080p you won´t suffer those.

Does the Pro allow you to choose what "version" to play? Or are you force to play in Pro version, meaning even if you dont have a 4K tv set, the game is still going to render that resolution and just downsample it to 1080p, meaning whatever issues there are in 4K mode (low FPS for example) are transferred into your 1080p tv set?

Also, didnt Sony specifically demand from devs that PS4 PRO versions are rock solid performance-wise compared to PS4?

I do not recommend SSHD's if you are looking for better performance, you're much better off waiting for a deal on SSD's.

Just a friendly reminder

kevin1025

Banned
Does the Pro allow you to choose what "version" to play? Or are you force to play in Pro version, meaning even if you dont have a 4K tv set, the game is still going to render that resolution and just downsample it to 1080p, meaning whatever issues there are in 4K mode (low FPS for example) are transferred into your 1080p tv set?

Also, didnt Sony specifically demand from devs that PS4 PRO versions are rock solid performance-wise compared to PS4?

From the way it was described, the console knows you'll be playing the Pro 1080p version or the Pro 4K version, so it might downsample the image along with any other additions they might have added. But then there's some like Rise of the Tomb Raider that has actual modes that you can switch (ie. 45-60fps or 30fps with better visuals), so there's chances you can change the mode for yourself.

But yeah, the Digital Foundry video with the iffy framerates are definitely works in progress. Optimizing them probably happened by now and that was just the footage they had from old code, as someone else mentioned.

Gator86

I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to transfer my stuff from my current 2tb hdd to the the Pro. I don't have an equivalently large hdd in another device to use as a 3rd party workaround.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to transfer my stuff from my current 2tb hdd to the the Pro. I don't have an equivalently large hdd in another device to use as a 3rd party workaround.

Delete what you can and re download it, re install it. If you can delete installations and transfer saves it should be fine unless you have alot more other stuff like videos, pics, etc.

Dredd97

would be nice to just be able to pop the drive out of the PS4 vanilla and insert it into the pro.. sign in to PSN, let it do a database rebuild and it's done..

but we know it won't be that easy...

Gator86

would be nice to just be able to pop the drive out of the PS4 vanilla and insert it into the pro.. sign in to PSN, let it do a database rebuild and it's done..

but we know it won't be that easy...

Yeah, I wish. The issue for me is the ton of videos and gameplay captures. The rest could just be downloaded. Maybe I can back those up elsewhere. The whole process is going to be a pain in the ass though. The Pro is basically a new iPhone with 16gb of storage. Ridiculous the hdds are still so small.

LAA

Sadly don't think there is another way. I think you can transfer directly between PS4s, but the Pro would need a big enough HDD to accept the data of course.

I got an external 3TB HDD for like £60, which is replacing my 2TB "general use" external HDD, and I'll use that to back up and restore to the pro and then I'm going to use that for my X1 S, as the 500GB external HDD for that is now getting low on space, so killing two birds with one stone there for me. Though I do want to keep the data on the old PS4 too or at least some of it so not sure how I'm going to be able to do that...

Other than direct to PS4 transfer or external HDD back up and restore, there isn't really another choice. You could at least back up all saves to a USB or cloud and get them back that way, but for games, sadly not.

Looks good but not worth the release price if you dont have 4k tv, anyone expecting noticeable improvements on a 1080p tv will likely be dissapointed. Maybe in a few months time it will be a little cheaper or at least bundled with a game.

This is false. Games will look noticeably better on 1080p displays.

I did not think of this possibility at all, wow. Hopefully we can have the choice to select the version for each game that supports the Pro.

One of the PS4 Pro requirements by Sony is that the games run at least as well as their non-Pro counterpart. They won't authorize an inferior Pro version for release.

One of the PS4 Pro requirements by Sony is that the games run at least as well as their non-Pro counterpart. They won't authorize an inferior Pro version for release.

You say that but this is the same company that approved multiple patches that progressively made Just Cause 3 worse.

Gator86

I expect numerous inferior Pro versions even by the end of this year. Sony's cert is mostly worthless and devs/pubs love cranking out half-finished games.

Gator86

why would you expect that, because you lack common sense?

Not sure I should bother based on your tag, but forcing devs to put out more versions of a game probably won't improve the already tenuous QA quality we've seen in recent years. More powerful hardware doesn't automatically mean games will run better. Look at any bad PC ports and it's evident. As a recent example, Rise of the Tomb Raider has worse AF on Xbone/PS4 than on last gen (i.e., the goddamn 360). Sony saying games must run better on the Pro in no way guarantees that will be the case. People should remain skeptical of this claim instead of taking it for granted.

Bebpo

Banned

Well, I have a 1080p plasma that I'm not upgrading for years and I spent way more than a PS4Pro on top of the line GPUs to play all my PC games on it at 4k if possible and there is a mindblowingly huge visual difference between playing at 1080 & 4k on my 1080 screen thanks to the down sampling. Playing at 4k on a 1080p TV basically gives perfect AA & IQ and makes every game look like a playable bullshot. GTAV at 4k downsampled to 1080p at 60fps is incredible. Combine that with hopefully better framerate performance on games and it should be a big difference even without a 4K TV.

How much testing do you think Sony will do on an open world game like GTA when comparing the base and Pro version to know that in every instance the Pro version runs at least as well as the base version? It shouldn't surprise anyone if they don't catch something.

thelastword

Banned
I believe that requirement has to do with more than framerate. So fidelity resolution etc. At 1080p though, no game should run better on the base PS4 and I believe that's what the requirement is.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
So are we still in the dark about what the actual "bay size" for HDDs is with the Pro? As have not found any info in regards to that yet. Which is kinda stupid considering its fairly important with how much shit these days needs to be patched along with the highly digital market we have been moving towards...

Lady Gaia

So are we still in the dark about what the actual "bay size" for HDDs is with the Pro?

I haven't seen anything, either. I suspect Sony is keeping their messaging 100% PSVR focused through the immediate launch period before returning to talking up the Pro. Hopefully in another week or two the trickle of information turns into something more substantial.

To be fair, do you really need more than a week's notice to order any drive you might have in mind? We'd all like the information now but with another four weeks until the system arrives it's not exactly necessary.

Cyborg

Walked into a large retailer in The Netherlands (Intertoys) withe the following question: "Can I order an PS4-Pro?" The anwser was " The what?"

Sony not putting much effort in marketing or announcing this.

Walked into a large retailer in The Netherlands (Intertoys) withe the following question: "Can I order an PS4-Pro?" The anwser was " The what?"

Similar experience here at a Best Buy in the states. Seems like they haven't said or shown anything really since the reveal

Matty8787

So I was going to trade in my PS4 towards the pro with GAME but as I am at 1080p and PC is my main platform I am considering just sticking with my og PS4.

Cyborg

So I was going to trade in my PS4 towards the pro with GAME but as I am at 1080p and PC is my main platform I am considering just sticking with my og PS4.

Seems logical, But I just want to have the best hardware to play PS4 games on. While I dont know if there will be any benefits for 1080p users.

Im taking my chances :) sell my PS4 for 200€ and buy a Pro

Abdiel

Similar experience here at a Best Buy in the states. Seems like they haven't said or shown anything really since the reveal

We've had it readily available for pre-order through our best buy website almost since announcement, and I know in my stores our Sony rep has done training with my teams. Can't account for every store I guess.

Frostman

Yeah, hopefully this changes over the next couple of weeks. We still don't know how a few big release games will support it, such as BF1.

crimilde

Banned

Here in Romania, it's up for pre-order at all the major retailers. I secured one and they said the stock will arrive on launch day, so that's when they'll start shipping. Only if they have anything left after fulfilling the pre-orders they'll put them on the shelves of the actual stores.

So completely anecdotal, but it seems stocks will not be very high? Of course it depends on a country by country basis, but then again, PSVR has not yet officially released here yet, compared to the Pro which will be on November 10th, same as the rest of the world.

cackhyena

I'm still not understanding how this will have huge appeal. It's biggest benefits are with people who have 4K/HDR tvs. So that's not a whole lot of people in the grand scheme of things.

Top Bottom