• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces PS4 Pro, $399, November 10th

RedAssedApe

Banned
Ebay is dangerous for sellers. Not worth the risk, imo.

yup you have to deal with shipping, returns, lack of adequate seller protection, etc. Same with craigslist but I would say the latter is more about safety. There are shady people out there.

yup you have to deal with shipping, returns, lack of adequate seller protection, etc. Same with craigslist but I would say the latter is more about safety. There are shady people out there.

No doubt, there are shady people out there. But from the 100+ items I've sold on eBay in the past decade, I've never been ripped off.

I mean....don't ship until you have the money. It's not exactly rocket science.

But hey, if people want to see what shady looks like in person, go ahead and trade your consoles to GameStop and see what getting ripped off is really like.

The CPUs for both the PS4 and XBO are they way they are because AMD couldn't deliver what either party was hoping for. There really wasn't much either Sony or MS could do about it in 2013.
How likely do you think Microsoft will change their Jaguar CPU for a new architecture for the Scorpio? I know Microsoft said it's a 8-core CPU but they did not elaborate more from that.

vg260

No doubt, there are shady people out there. But from the 100+ items I've sold on eBay in the past decade, I've never been ripped off.

I mean....don't ship until you have the money. It's not exactly rocket science.

That does not alleviate the risk. Perhaps you haven't had the misfortune of doing everything right, yet getting false claims supported by ebay, but plenty of others have. Even if you have a 100% perfect feedback record, and do everything properly, the way they handle buyer complaints makes it very easy for buyers to scam private sellers or make false claims that ebay will back. I used ebay for just as long with a perfect record, and now I would not sell on ebay unless I was OK with potentially taking a loss on the item. For a PS4, where you could still get value for it elsewhere, it is not worth the risk.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
How likely do you think Microsoft will change their Jaguar CPU for a new architecture for the Scorpio? I know Microsoft said it's a 8-core CPU but they did not elaborate more from that.

Zen will not be ready in time. AMD have gone on record stating they do not have any new semi custom CPU contracts for 2017

Unless Scorpio gets delayed to 2018, it will have a Jaguar CPU and Zen is off the table.

OTOH, the GPU situation is much more interesting, since Vega should be available in time. 12GB of GDDR5x and a mid range Vega would easily give us our 6TF compute power and 320GB/sec bandwidth numbers we are looking for.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Zen will not be ready in time. AMD have gone on record stating they do not have any new semi custom CPU contracts for 2017

Unless Scorpio gets delayed to 2018, it will have a Jaguar CPU and Zen is off the table.

OTOH, the GPU situation is much more interesting, since Vega should be available in time. 12GB of GDDR5x and a mid range Vega would easily give us our 6TF compute power and 320GB/sec bandwidth numbers we are looking for.

Yep. But without Zen, i think Scorpio may fall to the same pitfalls some people complain about Pro for, in regards to 60fps.

Hopefully they use Puma atleast for higher clocking potential, or Excavator maybe

Saberus

Wonder why Sony hasn't released hardly any full video captures of the games from the Pro, like we have a couple but I would like to see Uncharted 4 and few others.

And whats with the media coverage, DF had some great stuff, but who else was at the show?
I have the pro on preorder but it would be nice to see more games.

If AMD doesn't have a strong enough Pro CPU right now for Sony to use, why would they have had one 3 years ago?

And the GPU's at the time compared with the current GPU of the PS4 Pro were over 500$ at minimum with 200watts alone. The GPU of PS4 Pro right now, which is midrange, was the highest end single GPU at the time(7970 upgraded Gigahertz edition)
tks for clarifying...

The CPUs for both the PS4 and XBO are they way they are because AMD couldn't deliver what either party was hoping for. There really wasn't much either Sony or MS could do about it in 2013.
How hard is it for Sony to make custom parts then? Ian's that what Apple does with there phones/tablets? Make a lot of the innards themselves? I know they basically boast a new chip every keynote.

That just seems really silly to rely on other companies for one of your most important products. I could see something like controllers or input devices, but the brains and grunt of your system should be decided wholly by you no?

How hard is it for Sony to make custom parts then? Ian's that what Apple does with there phones/tablets? Make a lot of the innards themselves? I know they basically boast a new chip every keynote.

That just seems really silly to rely on other companies for one of your most important products. I could see something like controllers or input devices, but the brains and grunt of your system should be decided wholly by you no?
When it comes to CPUs, it's not easy to make your own design your own chip. Apple licenses ARM instruction set and built a solid cpu for themselves with the A10, but that aint cheap at all. There's way more money in the phone/tablet business for Apple than there is in the console business for sony or microsoft.

Also, you cant make x86 CPUs without getting a license to do so. Intel & AMD aren't giving those to anybody. They have strict rules between them both. There's no point for sony or ms to do it themselves. It's cheaper to pay AMD to make the chips for them.

AMD's CPU designs have been shit for a while, but their GPUs are great. Intel has great CPUs but their GPUs are shit in comparison to AMD. AMD was a much better decision since the GPU is what pushes the graphics.

Vuze

Did Sony ever provide the 4K HDR footage they promised at the event? I know there was regular 4K footage of horizon etc release but HDR versions?

I'm pretty torn on the console now after seeing HDR in person. If only they had included an UHD Bluray drive...

So today I decided that I had to buy the pro. Horizon Zero Dawn and the new Spiderman sold me on it. I went into gamestop and was concerned that they would be out of preorders and I would have to go through the website. I was the first to preorder the pro (they had 4 slim preorders). It blew my mind especially since this gamestop is a top 50 in the company based on sales. But I was able to get it and Nov 10th can't come fast enough

Side note. I really really hope that SE does a Pro patch for JC3, I would like to finish that game and it's DLC but the frame rate is junk.

StereoVsn

It is going to be interesting if Sony will have bundles for the Pro. I am fairly certain at least some retailers might come BF and Sony themselves might have a limited time bundle then.

Apath

With FW 4.0, yes you can!

"You will be able to copy your games, saved data, captured videos and screenshots, system settings, and other content from a standard PS4 to PS4 Pro using a standard Ethernet cable. This process will also work from standard PS4 to standard PS4, PS4 Pro to standard PS4, and PS4 Pro to PS4 Pro provided that both units have system software update 4.00 or higher installed, and the same PSN account is signed into both systems."
Wait, so I can transfer PT?

Elios83

It is going to be interesting if Sony will have bundles for the Pro. I am fairly certain at least some retailers might come BF and Sony themselves might have a limited time bundle then.

I wouldn't expect more than a game bundled with it at the same price.
The Slim will get better deals.

RedAssedApe

Banned
wonder what game will be the "poster child" for the pro at launch. seems like most of the AAA titles will have some level of support

eifer

It's great that people can carry over PT, but when horror games start coming out for VR, oh boy... You'll forget all about PT lol.

That sucks about Zen :( Is it possible that the Xbox can use Puma, which is a slightly more improved version of Jaguar?

Mrbob

Yikes I didn't realize Zen was behind. Not another console with that weak sauce Jaguar CPU...can't take it.

leeh

This is wrong and the article which stated this was click-bait. It's actually quite the opposite.

AMD have stated on their 12 month roadmap that they're actually ramping up for new semi-custom business, which has to be the Scorpio since AMD's semi-custom portfolio only consists of Sony and MS. This action point is amongst points for Zen and Vega.

If they were providing similar chips to the PS4 Pro, which is already in mass-production, you wouldn't need an action on a 12 month roadmap to ramp up for new business. It has to be the new chip for the Scorpio. Apple are only bundling AMD GPU's with their new iMacs. 12 month from now aligns perfectly with the mass-production of the Scorpio.

It's crucial for AMD that they secure semi-custom business on their new architectures, they will of pitched them hard to MS.

jeffram

I'm really hoping some of my backlog get pro patches.

Witcher 3 and Arkham Knight would be amazing.

I have faith in cd project red to come through.

Pre-ordered PS4 Pro.

Bought 4K HDR TV.

Bought Resident Evil 4 for PS4.

My body is ready for Leon in moderate polygon budget glory and beautiful colours as soon as the Pro reaches my doorstep. Can't fucking wait.

which tv? Leaning towards the Samsung ks8000

I bought the Sony one from that GAF thread, but I was considering the KS8000 as well. Definitely a better TV for the HDR/4K based on the specs (higher max brightness from what I saw on those comparison charts and probably better HDR presentation because of it), but I opted for the Sony one, couldn't pass up the price.

Buying a car and starting at a new place, and managing all the new costs associated with that so just felt it'd be better not to spend too much more than I'm already doing.

if you knew what i was upgrading from... anything i would buy made in the last 3 years would be a major upgrade ^^

Lady Gaia

which tv? Leaning towards the Samsung ks8000

We just got a 65" KS800D which is the Costco model of the KS8000 (they use different model numbers to avoid price matching and differentiate warrantee, but it's also cosmetically slightly different with a darker metallic bezel which I prefer.) So far I'm very impressed despite worries about the edge-lit nature of the set. Uniformity is surprisingly good with just a little inconsistency around the center of the set, and a slight light tinge at the bottom of the display in brighter scenes. Saturated colors are striking and black levels in darker scenes are good as anything but a FALD or OLED set.

I won't have a chance to calibrate it properly for a while yet and don't have a game console at this residence, but feedback from owners who have put it through its paces has been consistently positive.

Norse

We just got a 65" KS800D which is the Costco model of the KS8000 (they use different model numbers to avoid price matching and differentiate warrantee, but it's also cosmetically slightly different with a darker metallic bezel which I prefer.) So far I'm very impressed despite worries about the edge-lit nature of the set. Uniformity is surprisingly good with just a little inconsistency around the center of the set, and a slight light tinge at the bottom of the display in brighter scenes. Saturated colors are striking and black levels in darker scenes are good as anything but a FALD or OLED set.

I won't have a chance to calibrate it properly for a while yet and don't have a game console at this residence, but feedback from owners who have put it through its paces has been consistently positive.

What the 65" run at Costco. They still giving few hundred off on it?

rokkerkory

Great set!!!

Top Bottom