• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Announces Q2 Results

Acosta

So to sum it up. what did MS do right and the other two do wrong recently that allowed MS to earn the only positive income? Was XB Live a big difference? Do video sales (movies, TV shows people purchase) figure into Xbox's profit? Or does that profit go to another division?

Being an American company.

Yen is damaging hard every Japanese company reliant on overseas business.

These numbers are not really bad, relatively, the strong cut of loses in such a economy and with sales down is a good signal. Sony could be back to be profitable in a near future.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
massive loss Vita currently is and will end up being over the long haul

... or maybe Sony still has time and the capability to turn things around. Worldwide, PS3 is consistently outselling or really closely matching Xbox 360 and has kept cost reducing the console without as big price cuts as people were expecting, but they still sell a lot of consoles which means that PS3 is being more and more of a support to their business.

It is sad that PS Vita is doing bad numbers still, because it had a huge launch lineup in terms of games and has, to this day, a really nice list of games I really do like a lot and I am not tired of saying that their OS is really cool and promising (the fact that PS Vita is the best PS1 and PSP playing machine certainly does not hurt ;)). I am a happy handheld gamer as overall both 3DS and PS Vita have very awesome qualities and I enjoy them both.

Isn't it just hiding information about their products from their shareholders? Sounds lame to me.

With my post I was saying that it isn't "lame" for their shareholders. I don't think investors use that word too much. I wasn't implying that the current reporting method is for the better of shareholders. It should have been obvious when I said "define lame".

Stop posting. I'm sure you can post in plenty of other threads to maintain your 58post a day average.

No.

With my post I was saying that it isn't "lame" for their shareholders. I don't think investors use that word too much. I wasn't implying that the current reporting method is for the better of shareholders. It should have been obvious when I said "define lame".

There are plenty of free online dictionaries out there if you need help understanding what's being said here.

How is it better for shareholders to have less data?

ESP when there is a new product release (vita) that the company is not being clear about even when directly questioned by the investors (last earnings call).

Do you understand how any of this works?

... or maybe Sony still has time and the capability to turn things around.
I simply cannot imagine a scenario where that is possible now with markets contracting, worldwide, and competition for mobile gaming feeling quite limited to just iOS/Android tablets and phones with Ninty having the last full-sized chair at the table for dedicated mobile gaming hardware and still suffering their own share of market contraction and competition to general purpose devices. There is zero confidence from third parties for Vita. There is almost that much coming from Sony themselves, if we're looking at the slate of big software commitment that is exclusive and not just some cost-effective hand-me-down from PS3 or PSP. Vita's advantage of hardware capability is soon to be a non-factor with refreshes of phones and tablets and their singular advantage of console gamer-friendly control seems to be little when there's so little new software to use it.

Perkel

Banned
Things don't look to good for Vita. It's a shame because it's the best handheld ever released.
As of why is it failing i think it's Sony fault.

They are going same way as PSP. They don't produce new handheld franchizes or make sequels for handheld franchizes they port games of existing PS3 franchizes.

Instead of funding Resistance Burning Skies they should fund Level 5 Joanne D'arc sequel.
Instead of asking Ubisoft for Assasin Creed spin off. Ask for new franchize.
Instead of making killzone portable give people at Guerilla games money to do new franchize only on handheld.

People don't care about inferior ports. That is why people loved GTA chinatown wars and weren't so much hyped about Liberty city stories.

That is why i'm hyped about Tearway and Souls Sacrefice.

If you want to make a port make it better than original not inferior or shittier.

So for example make Okami Portable with added more locations more gestures and everything.

This is main reason why 3DS is looking so promisng right now.

There are plenty of free online dictionaries out there if you need help understanding what's being said here.

I perfectly understand what lame means. I was trying to say that investors probably wouldn't use a word like lame. I wasn't implying that combining consoles is for the better of shareholders.

@Rukus: you still didn't understand me.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
There's really little need to combine the console sales to 'make things look better' since PS3 sales on their own ought to be fine. But I guess maybe they're wanting to hammer home that the PS2 business is quite dead yet...and that thus, their home console business is bigger than just looking at PS3 shows (on the HW side at least).

But really, that would have been a more effective point in the earlier years of the PS3 when PS2 was still selling quite substantial numbers worldwide.

Acosta

I simply cannot imagine a scenario where that is possible now with markets contracting, worldwide, and competition for mobile gaming feeling quite limited to just iOS/Android tablets and phones with Ninty having the last full-sized chair at the table for dedicated mobile gaming hardware and still suffering their own share of market contraction and competition to general purpose devices. There is zero confidence from third parties for Vita. There is almost that much coming from Sony themselves, if we're looking at the slate of big software commitment that is exclusive and not just some cost-effective hand-me-down from PS3 or PSP.

It´s ok saying Vita sales are terrible, they are, but there are ways to recover, it depends how important it is for Sony to remain in this segment of the business. I understand many of you being sceptical, we all check the MC thread and we know how the planned software looks, but I still think there are some opportunities and some room to operate for Sony to improve things and have a sustainable machine.

Things change. The party is not over until the last one switch off the lights. Game division is profitable right now, I don't see any need to kill Vita just now.

confuziz

Banned
It´s ok saying Vita sales are terrible, they are, but there are ways to recover, it depends how important it is for Sony to remain in this segment of the business. I understand many of you being sceptical, we all check the MC thread and we know how the planned software looks, but I still think there are some opportunities and some room to operate for Sony to improve things and have a sustainable machine.

Things change. The party is not over until the last one switch off the lights. Game division is profitable right now, I don't see any need to kill Vita just now.

Sure there is. Kill Vita, full focus on PS4 starting holiday 2013. Profit guaranteed.

Road

Between the lack of divulging NPD numbers and now lumping hardware into groups, I don't get why Sony is so afraid / shamed to show PS3 or PSVita numbers.

Sony is only afraid of showing Vita numbers, but it would be way more pathetic and obvious if they had only combined PSP/Vita and left PS3 and PS2 separated.

Stop posting. I'm sure you can post in plenty of other threads to maintain your 58post a day average.

Holy shit, he joined the forum in May of this year and has already made 3000 more posts than me. That's a lot of posts.

... or maybe Sony still has time and the capability to turn things around. Worldwide, PS3 is consistently outselling or really closely matching Xbox 360 and has kept cost reducing the console without as big price cuts as people were expecting, but they still sell a lot of consoles which means that PS3 is being more and more of a support to their business.

What has the worldwide sales of the PS3 got to with the vita turning things around? The PS3 was never selling anywhere near this badly and had way more things going for it right from the start (including the fact that it was guaranteed games like FFXIII).

It's really nothing more than clutching at straws, there is simply no comparison to be made between the two.

Sure there is. Kill Vita, full focus on PS4 starting holiday 2013. Profit guaranteed.

I'm not directing this at you, but can we reach some conclusion here. Is Sony ignoring the Vita or not? I see claims they are, and in regards to SCEA and SCEJ I think they are, thus these 2 regions have a 100% focus on PS3 and PS4. The only one working on PSVita and PS4 seems to be SCEE.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think they just combined the PS2/PS3 numbers so that the PSP/PSVita pairing could be done.

Or maybe they want to force people to observe that the reach of their home console business isn't just one platform.

This would have been 'more impressive' earlier in PS3's lifecycle, but the viewpoint might be more helpful with PS4's arrival. PS3 probably won't disappear for a while if they can successfully push it down the chain to those people who've been buying PS2s in the mid-markets over the last few years.

It is a net loss of info though. Dunno why they can't break out the numbers independently while highlighting totals, if they really want to do that.

Or maybe they want to force people to observe that the reach of their home console business isn't just one platform.

Of course they decided not to do this earlier in the gen when it would have actually looked better and instead decided to do it now when they want to hide the vita numbers.

As you pointed out they could easily release the individual numbers and highlight the combined totals. It's pretty hard to view this in anything but a negative light.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
To be fair it gives a much more positive impression of how far from dead Playstation branded gaming hardware is. At least on the console side. 8.8m is a very healthy number considering the age of both of the platforms.

Acosta

I don't really think PS4 schedule is reliant of Vita.

If Sony kills Vita, they lose all the investment they have put on it, from R&D to production and marketing, that money is lost forever. As far as Vita is not actually dragging them, which I don't think is the case, they have to explore what they can do to make it a sustainable machine.

Once it´s discontinued, the story is over and that's it. A definitive failure.

BTW, about the debate of the numbers, I agree it looks bad and if I was an investor I would want to know the exact numbers of each machine.

AOC83

Banned
I don't really think PS4 schedule is reliant of Vita.

If Sony kills Vita, they lose all the investment they have put on it, from R&D to production and marketing, that money is lost forever. As far as Vita is not actually dragging them, which I don't think is the case, they have to explore what they can do to make it a sustainable machine.

Once it´s discontinued, the story is over and that's it. A definitive failure.

The Vita already is a definitive failure, and there is absolutely nothing Sony can do about it.
Let it die, write off the money and first and foremost stop pumping more of it into this mess.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Of course they decided not to do this earlier in the gen when it would have actually looked better and instead decided to do it now when they want to hide the vita numbers.

Yeah, of course, it's very helpful to Vita. But what I was angling at is that I think it also helps set the precedent in advance of PS4...it might help PS4 more than it i helps PS3 now.

Not a bad set of figures, showing baseline profitability of around $2bn a year at this rate, still a lot of room for improvement though.

Bruno MB

Hiding PS Vita sales figures by combining them with PSP makes PS Vita sales look even more pathetic. It seems that they don't get that unless PS Vita had sold (shipped) less than PSP.

Acosta

The Vita already is a definitive failure, and there is absolutely nothing Sony can do about it.
Let it die, write off the money and first and foremost stop pumping more of it into this mess.

No, it´s not. There is no "absolute" failure until you give up, and you don't give up at least you really need to. That's especially true for companies.

There is no advantage for them in cancelling it. Perhaps if it was dragging SCE at a whole, taking a ton of resources and making them loosing a lot of money in each unit sold, getting out would be the best idea, but I don't really think that's the case.

Sony will not just let it die. For now there isn't much Sony can do to change the current situation, but they haven't played all their cards yet.

No, it's not really true. I mean, you can change a console fate really easily:
Price drop + anticipated games = win.
Just a simple exemple:
Vita price drop + a Grand Theft Auto or a Final Fantasy and Vita could do well.
Now, it's up to Sony to make those happens.

sajj316

Um no. The last thing this industry needs is for a traditional handheld to die. I don't want a one horse race. I don't want iOS to be the future of portable gaming. Just my thoughts. Definitive is a strong word.

miksar

No, it's not really true. I mean, you can change a console fate really easily:
Price drop + anticipated games = win.
Just a simple exemple:
Vita price drop + a Grand Theft Auto or a Final Fantasy and Vita could do well.
Now, it's up to Sony to make those happens.
GTA is not huge on portables and didn't help PSP that much. Final Fantasy is not what it used to be even in Japan, Monster Hunter took its place. The only thing Sony realistically can do with Vita is to come up with a strong original casual-oriented IP and see what it can do in the current market. Combined with a huge price drop it may be enough to start it off.

Top Bottom