• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Announces Q2 Results

GTA is not huge on portables and didn't help PSP that much. Final Fantasy is not what it used to be even in Japan, Monster Hunter took its place. The only thing Sony realistically can do with Vita is to come up with a strong original casual-oriented IP and see what it can do in the current market. Combined with a huge price drop it may be enough to start it off.

Well, then remake Final Fantasy VII :p

Taurus

No, it's not really true. I mean, you can change a console fate really easily:
Price drop + anticipated games = win.
Just a simple exemple:
Vita price drop + a Grand Theft Auto or a Final Fantasy and Vita could do well.
Now, it's up to Sony to make those happens.
Neither of those are Sony's own IPs. Why would R* or S-E put their biggest franchises to a dead system? One reason if even that: moneyhatting. Does Sony have money? No.

End of story.

herod

Liberty City Stories outsold Crisis Core.

The only games that are within Sony's power to make that sell well on portables are God of War and Gran Turismo.

Sony will not just let it die. For now there isn't much Sony can do to change the current situation, but they haven't played all their cards yet.

They could stop selling the PSP. Especially in Japan people are not going to buy Vita when games are coming out for PSP and devs are devoting resources to PSP.

Takao

Banned
They could stop selling the PSP. Especially in Japan people are not going to buy Vita when games are coming out for PSP and devs are devoting resources to PSP.

You stop selling PSPs before you get Vita selling and the only thing that'll achieve is more support for 3DS.

Considering the state on yen and ramping R&D costs for next generation I think gaming division did great as they were still able to post profit. Vita sales are of course horrible but PS3 is still going strong. Next quarter should show healthy profit for gaming division as it's christmas quarter.

There's really little need to combine the console sales to 'make things look better' since PS3 sales on their own ought to be fine. But I guess maybe they're wanting to hammer home that the PS2 business is quite dead yet...and that thus, their home console business is bigger than just looking at PS3 shows (on the HW side at least).

But really, that would have been a more effective point in the earlier years of the PS3 when PS2 was still selling quite substantial numbers worldwide.

See, the fact that you're guessing is bad. They're hiding something and I find it hard to believe that it's PS2 sales.

onQ123

I don't care which way you look at the numbers a Sony console was the best selling console.

so you can look at it as the PS3 outsold the Wii & Xbox 360 by a lot or the PS3 & PS2 both outsold the Wii & Xbox 360.

PS3/PS2 2.5 2.8 3.5 - 8.8

360 1.4 1.1 1.7 - 4.2

Wii 0.88 0.71 0.61 - 2.20

The PSP is selling better than the vita and it's almost certainly more profitable at this point in its life span. Discontinuing it seems like a pretty dumb move. Im also not sure it is the best way to encourage PSP owners to make the transition and i think if anything it would favour the 3DS not the vita.

It would have no impact on 3rd party support for the vita either imo.

Erethian

Sony will not just let it die. For now there isn't much Sony can do to change the current situation, but they haven't played all their cards yet.

If things continue as they are then retailers will make that decision for them by allocating the retail space for Vita to something else.

mclem

The only games that are within Sony's power to make that sell well on portables are God of War and Gran Turismo.

I'm mildly surprised that they've not at least made a statement along the lines of "Gran Turismo will come". I wonder if they're nervous about a "boy who cried wolf" effect after the mess that was GT Mobile.

I don't care which way you look at the numbers a Sony console was the best selling console.

so you can look at it as the PS3 outsold the Wii & Xbox 360 by a lot or the PS3 & PS2 both outsold the Wii & Xbox 360.

...or a nice cheap PS2 is selling shitloads, particularly in poorer countries.

AOC83

Banned
No, it's not really true. I mean, you can change a console fate really easily:
Price drop + anticipated games = win.
Just a simple exemple:

The Vita is already sold for much less than the official price and this didn´t do anything to the sales at all. There is just no demand for the Vita and this has (price aside) two major reasons:

1.The Vita aims at handheld core gamers, handheld coregaming is dead in the west. Don´t know if it was ever really alive but in 2012 it is not more than a rotting cadaver.

2.No must have exclusives. WipEout and Uncharted are nice, but they have no system seller qualities (especially not in Japan) and you can get the superior versions on your PS3 for less money. So not only do they have a tiny target audience, but also absolutely zero software that could really push a handheld.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
See, the fact that you're guessing is bad. They're hiding something and I find it hard to believe that it's PS2 sales.

They're wanting to mask Vita's sales while being consistent about how they treat home console sales.

Certainly PS3 sales don't need masking. If you think it's PS2 sales that are 'the good half' of those home console sales...well...look at total PS2 sales in the same period last year (3.8m). It's not much of a guess that PS3 sales be the bigger part of those home console numbers.

mclem

Uh, a GTA game is the best selling PSP game ever...

Do you mean in the US? I think there's a couple of Monster Hunters and Gran Turismo above it on a worldwide scale. Maybe GoW too?

(Not that I'm trying to imply that the GTA titles sold particularly poorly! They're right up there)

AOC83

Banned
Neither of those are Sony's own IPs. Why would R* or S-E put their biggest franchises to a dead system? One reason if even that: moneyhatting. Does Sony have money? No.

End of story.

And even if Sony moneyhatted one or two Megatons this would be hardly enough to bring the Vita into the profit zone. They´d need a steady supply of high quality exclusive titles which appeal to a broad audience. 3-4 Megatons a year. An there is absolutely zero chance they will get this.

Takao

Banned
Do you mean in the US? I think there's a couple of Monster Hunters and Gran Turismo above it on a worldwide scale. Maybe GoW too?

(Not that I'm trying to imply that the GTA titles sold particularly poorly! They're right up there)

MHP3rd is best seller with 4.7 million units shipped. Gran Turismo PSP did 3.6 million. The first GoW on PSP did 3.2 million. Liberty City Stories was apparently at 2.7 million as of 2008. The other numbers are all 2011.

Well, that doesn´t say much, the software sales were completely awful in the west.

Liberty City Stories did pretty well though. 8 million as of March 2008 and majority being on PSP. It's not like PSP software sales were dead from the beginning.

onQ123

I'm mildly surprised that they've not at least made a statement along the lines of "Gran Turismo will come". I wonder if they're nervous about a "boy who cried wolf" effect after the mess that was GT Mobile.

...or a nice cheap PS2 is selling shitloads, particularly in poorer countries.

meaning that the PS2 outsold the Wii/Xbox 360.

like I said either way a Sony console outsold the Wii/Xbox 360.

it's either the PS3 or PS2 outsold them by a lot or they both outsold the Wii/Xbox 360.

Celine

No, i mean worldwide.
Gt, gow,mh, ffcc all sold less.

In first couple of years psp perdormance was excellent in the west.
Then nintendo crush it.

Edit:
Didn't remember i ve read the total shipment of both psp and ps2.
Still likely the psp version is the top selling psp game.
Only mhp3 can challenge that status.

EagleEyes

PS3/PS2 2.5 2.8 3.5 - 8.8

360 1.4 1.1 1.7 - 4.2

Wii 0.88 0.71 0.61 - 2.20
Yeah but more than likely just like last year the 360 will close the gap again this holiday season and there will be very little difference between the two. Sony will never catch the 360 worldwide this gen especially if both next gen consoles launch at the same time.

Have you any idea how long a grand theft auto or a final fantasy game takes to happen? If they had anything like that in the pipeline they'd have been screaming it from the hilltops.

...and even if they did, if Rockstar / SE had any sense they'd be cancelling them right now. What point is there in a $20m dollar game selling to a userbase of a couple of million.

Elios83

Positive things: PS3 continuing to outsell its competitors, game division in the black, Sony on track to return to profit after 4 years of losses.

Negative: Vita sales forecast getting downgraded again (now 6-7m for the full FY?). Unfortunately with no price drop or killer games it was bound to happen. Next year either they save it by money hatting key developers and cutting the price with a new hardware revision, or they let it die.

shink

Yeah but more than likely just like last year the 360 will close the gap again this holiday season and there will be very little difference between the two. Sony will never catch the 360 worldwide this gen especially if both next gen consoles launch at the same time.

Before both release their next console? Yeah probably won't happen. Would the PS3 eventually overtake the 360 after next gen starts? Maybe

I think it'll depend on if the 360 is sold or discontinued after the 720 is released. I know with Sony's 10 year console life, the PS3 still has a few more years ahead of it. The PS2 is still selling 12 years since it was first released!

Celine

Sony won't drop vita but I'm sure that if they could pour the investment in a more profitable venture they would.
Said that it likely in the future sales will pick up just because they are very very low as now but by how much is unknown.
What should be clear to everyone is that sony can not let vita simply slow down to a crawl to later hope a price cut and couple key softwares (moneyhatted or owned) can miracolosly respark fainth in the platform.
Past a certain point a system can become irrilevant to the customers eye that just would get their neighbour iPhone or 3ds to play games on the go.

EagleEyes

Before both release their next console? Yeah probably won't happen. Would the PS3 eventually overtake the 360 after next gen starts? Maybe

I think it'll depend on if the 360 is sold or discontinued after the 720 is released. I know with Sony's 10 year console life, the PS3 still has a few more years ahead of it. The PS2 is still selling 12 years since it was first released!
Microsoft won't let the 360 just die like they did last gen. It has sold 70 million to this date so they will milk it as far as Sony does the PS3. Add to the fact that that it hasn't had a real price cut in 4 years I think the 360 has more staying potential than people think.

Just to check, these figures include the super slim shipments right? They'd have happened in September if my memory serves me.

Positive things: PS3 continuing to outsell its competitors, game division in the black, Sony on track to return to profit after 4 years of losses.

Negative: Vita sales forecast getting downgraded again (now 6-7m for the full FY?). Unfortunately with no price drop or killer games it was bound to happen. Next year either they save it by money hatting key developers and cutting the price with a new hardware revision, or they let it die.

Next year will be too late to start money hatting developers. It's already treading water now, games that won't be out for a few years won't do anything to help the vita.

Why would MS discontinue the 360? This is a pretty big myth really. The original xbox was a huge moneysink that was selling shit house and that's why MS canned it. The 360 is showing good legs and making a very healthy profit, they have no reason to do that again.

The reason the PS2 is still on the market selling so well is because there is demand for it and sony is still making money off it. There is no difference between them, they will both continue to support their current console until it stops making them money.

Microsoft won't let the 360 just die like they did last gen. It has sold 70 million to this date so they will milk it as far as Sony does the PS3. Add to the fact that that it hasn't had a real price cut in 4 years I think the 360 has more staying potential than people think.

The fact that it has been 4 years just makes me think MS don't want to drop the price. I have been expecting it for a long time but i'm not sure it will happen.

Elios83

10m for the full financial year.

10m is VIta+PSP, I was assuming that the actual split could be 6-7m Vita and 3-4m PSP.

Next year will be too late to start money hatting developers. It's already treading water now, games that won't be out for a few years won't do anything to help the vita.

Indeed they should be doing that right now with actual big games coming out next year.
My feeling btw is that Sony internally has already conceded that dedicated handhelds are dead. They have no interests in bleeding money to keep alive a single product when they can make money by selling contents and games on mobiles.
With PS3 for example the situation was completely different, they made huge investements, they had to make Blu Ray a success, so they invested to make it a success no matter what. Vita won't get that treatment, it will end up like a Gamecube.

I dont think the Vita will do any better unless the iPhone goes out of business so it doesn't look good. I just think the Vita is in a horrible position because Sony failed to see its potential market had drastically been reduced and competition has gone thru the roof. This is just my opinion on why it struggles so bad in the U.S. though so keep that in mind. I am not familiar enough with the Japanese and European Markets to speculate there.

Miles X

meaning that the PS2 outsold the Wii/Xbox 360.

like I said either way a Sony console outsold the Wii/Xbox 360.

it's either the PS3 or PS2 outsold them by a lot or they both outsold the Wii/Xbox 360.

You need to check the figures. PS2 did 1m+ last Q but 360 did 1.4m. This Q PS2 did not do anywhere near 1.7m.

Elios83

Meanwhile in Japan Panasonic is forecasting an other 10 billion $ loss for the FY and Sharp said that at this point they're facing survival issues meaning that they could go bankrupcy if things don't get better quickly.

thcsquad

Between the lack of divulging NPD numbers and now lumping hardware into groups, I don't get why Sony is so afraid / shamed to show PS3 or PSVita numbers.

I'm pretty sure it's the Vita numbers they're ashamed of. They probably combined the console sales as well to make it look like it was a new way of reporting things, not just tryng to hide Vita sales. PS3 is doing fine.

You stop selling PSPs before you get Vita selling and the only thing that'll achieve is more support for 3DS.

No it won't. It will boost sales of Vita and then devs will be more inclined to develop for the system. Look at this weeks MC sales, Idolmaster on PSP, nothing on Vita.

Top Bottom