• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Celebrates PLAYSTATION 3 First Birthday in the US

Borys

Banned
READ THE WHOLE THING BEFORE YOU COMMENT

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=conewsstory&refer=conews&tkr=SNE:US&sid=aAFQFJAXas7o

Sony Computer Entertainment America Celebrates First Birthday of Playstation(R)3

FOSTER CITY, Calif., Nov. 16 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) today celebrates the first birthday of its PLAYSTATION(R)3 (PS3(TM)) computer entertainment system. Launched one year ago in North America, PS3 has revolutionized the industry with its Cell Broadband Engine(TM) and RSX(TM) technology which gives the system tremendous computational power; Blu-ray Disc(TM) capabilities which provides state-of-the art graphics and unrivaled storage capacity; and free access to PLAYSTATION(R)Network where PS3 users can experience online gaming, connect with other PS3 users as well as download games, movies and other content from the PLAYSTATION(R)Store.

"When we designed PS3 our goal was to introduce a system so technically advanced that it could stand the test of time and could take the industry in a whole new direction, which for PS3 was high-definition entertainment," said Jack Tretton, President and CEO of SCEA. "While we're excited by the progress we've made this first year, we know that like our other platforms, the best is still yet to come, especially given our new hardware and software line-up, and that PS3 will continue to take the industry to new heights for years to come."

PS3 is the first gaming system to provide a disc capacity of 50GB thanks to its Blu-ray Disc functionality. Current PS3 first party games are currently in the 20GB range, well north of the threshold of HD-DVD or DVD, allowing for unmatched potential for games, movies and other media.

Blu-ray bits from GameDaily:

Finally, with respect to Blu-ray, Sony made the following points:

# PS3 Blu-ray currently outsells Xbox 360 HD-DVD 9 to 1.
# A recent Blu-ray Disc adoption survey shows that 87% of PS3 users watch Blu-ray movies, 80% of PS3 users have purchased Blu-ray movies and 82% intend to purchase or rent Blu-ray movies.
# Blu-ray titles continue to outsell HD DVD titles by nearly 2 to1 (Home Media Research, a division of Home Media Magazine).
# There will be more than 450 Blu-ray movies available to PS3 owners this holiday season.

Haze multiplatform confirmed:

Although the trend for the last year has been for publisher to create Xbox 360 SKUs and then port to PS3, Sony claims this is now starting to reverse: "Developers are now creating games on PS3 and then porting them to other platforms. This shows the strides developers are making in creating content for PS3 and also provides developers with an advantage as it's harder to port from Xbox 360 to PS3. Ubisoft's Haze is the first title to be created on PS3 and ported to Xbox."

:O :O :O

quake3denied.wav

SALES AGE:

According to Sony, the PS3 has now sold 5.6 million units worldwide, 2 million of which have been purchased in North America. The company's worldwide sales goal for next March remains 11 million units. Sony also noted that year to date sales of PS3 in Japan and EMEA outsold Xbox 360 by three-to-one.

New Sony PR.

This will be fun.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
200 titles? I doubt it. MetaCritic only has reviews for 102, and that's including PSN titles. Are they counting multiple regions of the same game as multiple titles?

Elios83

I've posted this in the NPD thread (didn't want to start a new thread for a few stats).

Sony has released a few stats for PS3 first anniversary:

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/ps3-celebrates-its-first-birthday-56-million-sold/18572/
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=conewsstory&refer=conews&tkr=SNE:US&sid=aAFQFJAXas7o
http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/11/sony-reacts-to.html#more

5.6m units sold ww (up to the end of October), 2m sold in US.
Xbox360 has been outsold 3:1 in Japan and Europe in 2007 total sales.
192% increase in PS3 US sales in the week ending 11 November over previous weeks at top 10 retailers, 100.000 units sold.
Expected 11m ww installed base by the end of March 2008.
Titles are now being developed on PS3 and then ported on other platforms (Haze is an example).
Blu Ray is winning bla bla bla.

Chiggs

Gold Member
They better hope to God November is the month it starts turning around, that's all I'll say.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Speevy said:
It's been a heck of a year, Sony. Let's hope the next one is better?

As far as games go, 2008 is an awesome year for PS3 (easely surpases 2007). But it better start moving some units or it might go downhill from there.

No_Style

Borys said:
This will be fun.

This will be fun since I have always thought that Haze was going to XBOX 360 sometime next year. Aside from carefully worded trailers and ads, I thought this was old news.

Happy Birthday Next-Gen.

Aeon712

Aika'svyse said:
Sony is proving to be pathetic and desperate
WTF??? Now I see why people have ignore lists of like 200 users.

Anyways my PS3 will be a yr old in January and it's been an awesome yr. Looking forward to yr 2(coughinfamouscough)

happy birthday, thanks for dropping the cover charge to attend your party...now get us some quality drinks in da house!

Borys said:
Yup.

What's EMEA? Europe + some isles?

Europe - Middle East - Africa?

Hopefully the complete lack of a perception shift for this game will persuade people that dislike for it isn't due to its exclusive status, but due to the fact it doesn't look promising.

Everybody in places like NeoGAF new that Haze was coming to 360 but it's pretty bizarre to see Sony announcing it in a press release.

ITA84

spwolf said:
EMEA+Japan= 3x1... Sweet.

That is not so significant: trumping the 360 in Japan is meaningless, and we know PS3 launched this year in Europe. Yeah, the European launch was a great one, but this doesn't tell anything about the future.

Borys

Banned
Chris_C said:
I fail to understand why this thread was created. Is it a Sony bashing thread? A legitimate discussion thread?

An anniversary/ informational one?

Don't try to find a fanboy or a hater in every goddamn poster on this thread.

Borys said:

-Co-signed.

I remember Cruzaer(sp?) jumped on me about Gif files in the other thread.:lol He's a good guy but almost all of his posts are 'OMG WHAY!?'

NekoFever

No_Style said:
This will be fun since I have always thought that Haze was going to XBOX 360 sometime next year. Aside from carefully worded trailers and ads, I thought this was old news.
It wasn't yesterday, but they've just seen the NPDs.

spwolf

ITA84 said:
That is not so significant: trumping the 360 in Japan is meaningless, and we know PS3 launched this year in Europe. Yeah, the European launch was a great one, but this doesn't tell anything about the future.

Fact that Sony outsold 360 3 to 1 in EMEA+Japan in complete of 2007 is pretty big. Afterall, most of PS3 sales come from those countries currently. European launch was 8 months ago.

Elios83

_leech_ said:
5.6 million worldwide in one year... good or bad?

Same as 360 in the same time (if not a bit better) but definetly much less than they expected, they probably wanted to be at 8m units at least this point.
But the most important thing is how they're going to perform during Nov&December in the three mian markets.

spwolf said:
Fact that Sony outsold 360 3 to 1 in EMEA+Japan in complete of 2007 is pretty big. Afterall, most of PS3 sales come from those countries currently. European launch was 8 months ago.

Considering their own figures showed that the PS3 either sold 160k in October, or -10,000 for the first two weeks of October, I'd take this with a pinch of salt.

Although I believe they certainly sold more in Europe (and EMEA or whatever), I doubt the gulf is so wide.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Everybody in places like NeoGAF new that Haze was coming to 360 but it's pretty bizarre to see Sony announcing it in a press release.

Damn, that is kinda weird. That blew UBI's cover for sure :lol

Lightning said:
I feel real bad for Haze on the PS3 especially if Epic release UT3 in the US this year.

Sony is advertising Resistance, I bet that outsells Haze this year

Chris_C

Borys said:

I wasn't looking for a fanboy or a hater until I reached the end of the post which read "New Sony PR, this should be fun". Which seemed akin to lighting a fuse in a powder keg.

Tr4nce

Happy birthday my love!

May you live forever, and put even more beautiful graphics on my tv screen, for the years to come!

GhaleonEB

Elios83 said:
Same as 360 in the same time (if not a bit better) but definetly much less than they expected, they probably wanted to be at 8m units at least this point.
But the most important thing is how they're going to perform during Nov&December in the three mian markets.
Microsoft shipped 5.9m units from launch through September 2006. Looks like Sony is including October, but still. Pretty darn close, as far as world-wide shipments at the same piont in time go.

Borys

Banned
Chris_C said:
I wasn't looking for a fanboy or a hater until I reached the end of the post which read "New Sony PR, this should be fun". Which seemed akin to lighting a fuse in a powder keg.

That was only the attention-whoring part of my post.

Azsori

Its been a year since I waited in that line for so long...yeah, I was that guy at the front...

Been an interesting year, who would have thought the PS3 would have come this far...it went from looking not good at all in early 07 to looking extremely well right now. Lets see how 08 fairs...

Elios83

GhaleonEB said:
Microsoft shipped 5.9m units from launch through September 2006. Looks like Sony is including October, but still. Pretty darn close, as far as world-wide shipments at the same piont in time go.

Shipped vs sold reported here. Microsoft overshipment last year is well known. Sony has a 1 million advantage over 360 last year just in actual japanese sales.

Top Bottom