• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Celebrates PLAYSTATION 3 First Birthday in the US

MrNibbles

Banned
Too bad no one showed up to the party amirite?:lol

I was gonna buy a PS3 for the damned Eye of Judgement, then I read all about:

Cards simply not available anywhere.
Cards can be scanned and printed RIDICULOUSLY easily.

I've lost interest (for now).
I used that money and bought a Dyson DC17 Animal ($550, American).

Yes. I bought a vacuum over a PS3.

Edit: I can only hope good things come for PS3 at next year's E... oh.

B-Ri

MrNibbles said:
Too bad no one showed up to the party amirite?:lol

I was gonna buy a PS3 for the damned Eye of Judgement, then I read all about:

Cards simply not available anywhere.
Cards can be scanned and printed RIDICULOUSLY easily.

I've lost interest (for now).
I used that money and bought a Dyson DC17 Animal ($550, American).

Yes. I bought a vacuum over a PS3.

Edit: I can only hope good things come for PS3 at next year's E... oh.

.... youre really stupid, when the systems got a good handfull of great games and its GOTY JUST came out.

tanod

when is my burrito
EOJ card packs ARE widely available. I've seen them at Wal-Mart, Target and Gamestop. Can't be much more available than that.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Happy B-Day PS3. Here's to you:
ps3cake.jpg

The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a fucking Lieeeeeeeee!

Sony PR said:
# PS3 Blu-ray currently outsells Xbox 360 HD-DVD 9 to 1.
Have things really gotten so bad that they need to bust out statistics like this? When you think about it, that is actually pretty impressive sales for the HD-DVD add-on.

Elios83 said:
Shipped vs sold reported here. Microsoft overshipment last year is well known. Sony has a 1 million advantage over 360 last year just in actual japanese sales.
:lol :lol :lol

You think there are 5.6 million PS3s sold to customers? Well, maybe there are, but hasn't it been well established that the PS3 is tracking behind the 360?

tanod

when is my burrito
Green Shinobi said:
:lol :lol :lol

You think there are 5.6 million PS3s sold to customers? Well, maybe there are, but hasn't it been well established that the PS3 is tracking behind the 360?

Yes, sold through.

Launches aligned WW, I believe it is also ahead.

B-Ri

Green Shinobi said:
Hasn't the PS3 been tracking behind the 360 since March? I know that graph has been posted here several times.

shinobi, honestly here.....

So the PS3 sucks because its mildly tracking behind the 360s numbers it did on its first year, the 360 tracking those numbers when it had NO NEXT GEN COMPETITION, while the PS3 has 2 super successful systems its competing against at basically DOUBLE the price point?

GAF needs to stop shoving graphs and previous gen sales, and gamecube numbers down everyones throats.

B-Ri said:
shinobi, honestly here.....

So the PS3 sucks because its mildly tracking behind the 360s numbers it did on its first year, the 360 tracking those numbers when it had NO NEXT GEN COMPETITION, while the PS3 has 2 super successful systems its competing against at basically DOUBLE the price point?

GAF needs to stop shoving graphs and previous gen sales, and gamecube numbers down everyones throats.
I wasn't trying to make any point.

I was just responding to the post that said that the PS3 is tracking ahead of the 360 by a million units. That seemed fishy to me.

I pretty much stopped trolling the PS3 once I bought one. My trolling was never serious to begin with. But I do have a habit of questioning numbers that look fake.

B-Ri

xbhaskarx said:
Going from best selling console ever to beaten by the Gamecube?

(or is this a response to B-Ri?)

The gamecube also began at what price point? $250 wasnt it? The PS3 is what? more then double that?

Come on guys, you guys are trying TOOO HARD. The PS3 is doing the least number of sales of the 3, but the Wii numbers NO ONE EXPECTED, why did everyone expect PS3 to do them? 360 numbers, doing well, and their overall install base is thanks to its early release from the competition.

GAF, grow up, seriously.

Redd

So what gamecube was an awesome system. Sure it wasn't a ps2 but great games were made on the cube anyway.

xbhaskarx

B-Ri said:
360 numbers, doing well, and their overall install base is thanks to its early release from the competition.

It's not just because of an early release, it's not like the PS3 is catching up. The 360 has outsold the PS3 by a significant amount in America every single month this year, it's only been close in January and July.

2007-monthly-hardware-sales-20071107114929886.jpg

And of course by 240k last month, so 2007 is now:
360: 2,588,900
PS3: 1,293,500

B-Ri

xbhaskarx said:
It's not just because of an early release, it's not like the PS3 is catching up. The 360 has outsold the PS3 by a significant amount in America every single month this year, it's only been close in January and July.

the 360 doing this because it sells for just about HALF of the ps3s cost.

Its pricepoint peoples, stop flexing these sales numbers, i really could give a flying fuck. The games i got for it are great, the games coming next year are going to be great, and the prospects of the system promising.

If you dont want to buy it then its your loss, just like you would say to anyone who refuses a 360.

B-Ri said:
The gamecube also began at what price point? $250 wasnt it? The PS3 is what? more then double that?

Come on guys, you guys are trying TOOO HARD. The PS3 is doing the least number of sales of the 3, but the Wii numbers NO ONE EXPECTED, why did everyone expect PS3 to do them? 360 numbers, doing well, and their overall install base is thanks to its early release from the competition.

GAF, grow up, seriously.
As long as the PS3 sells well enough to have a wide range of great games made for it (thus making my investment worthwhile), I'll be happy.

I got my 20 gig for around $270, so even if I only get the games I want through the end of 08, it'll be worth it, but Sony 1st party is good enough to ensure that it always has a decent library, just as Nintendo's 1st party did for their last two systems before the Wii.

As of now, I'm glad it's not my only system, but by the end of next year, I can see someone buying one as his only current-gen console and being perfectly satisfied.

B-Ri

xbhaskarx said:
Enjoy your PS3, I'm not sure why you are taking this as a personal attack on the choices you have made as a consumer....

im not taking offense, this is the #1 line in the "bail out" book when you got nothing else. You need to start realizing that instead of playing and enjoying, and discussing games on gaming forums, your discussing, disputing, and researching sales numbers....

xbhaskarx

B-Ri said:
You need to start realizing that instead of playing and enjoying, and discussing games on gaming forums, your discussing, disputing, and researching sales numbers....

Yeah, telling 360 owners they need to "play more games" makes a lot of sense...until you "research sales numbers" for Ratchet and Clank.

B-Ri

xbhaskarx said:
Yeah, telling 360 owners they need to "play more games" makes a lot of sense...until you "research sales numbers" for Ratchet and Clank.

ahem,

how well did PGR4 do?

STFU and go play video games.

B-Ri

westical said:
Convenient you're ignoring the 360 games in the top ten.

Convenient that we can just say PGR4 doesnt matter when 3 was a big seller at launch period and is one of the 360s flagship titles.

Stop with the top 10s, stop with the sales numbers.

what should gaf be talking about? Quality of games, game impressions, ect. Not OMFG GUITAR HERO ON TEH WII SOLD MUCHO SOOO ROXOR.

No nonononono NO! Does no one realize THATS whats wrong here.

Discuss video games! Discuss what Neversoft did right and wrong with GH3 vs Harmonix's GH2 and 1. Discuss the evolution of platformers from the 2d to now these next gen platformers, and how SMG has reignited platformers.

Discuss specific video games, and what they do right, discuss GAMES.

there is absolutely nothing more boring then threads of annoying meme pictures and people orgasming to sales numbers worse then Apple fanatics orgasming at any spoken word of steven jobs.

Salazar

B-Ri said:
Convenient that we can just say PGR4 doesnt matter when 3 was a big seller at launch period and is one of the 360s flagship titles.

what should gaf be talking about? Quality of games, game impressions, ect. Not OMFG GUITAR HERO ON TEH WII SOLD MUCHO SOOO ROXOR.

Discuss video games! Discuss what Neversoft did right and wrong with GH3 vs Harmonix's GH2 and 1. Discuss the evolution of platformers from the 2d to now these next gen platformers, and how SMG has reignited platformers.

there is absolutely nothing more boring then threads of annoying meme pictures and people orgasming to sales numbers worse then Apple fanatics orgasming at any spoken word of steven jobs.

Megalomaniac bossiness is kind of dull, too.

B-Ri said:

Has to be a joke post...

Knowing how the industry is doing can allow us info on how the next generation will go, and what games will go to what console

B-Ri said:
I don't know if this has been theorized before, but I think that some 360 and Wii owners don't want the PS3 to start doing well because they're afraid it will take off and start getting de-facto exclusives again.

If you think about it, at the start of this gen, the PS3 had Virtua Fighter 5, Devil May Cry 4 and a number of other third party games as exclusives before selling a single unit. Everyone assumed that Grand Theft Auto 4 would be a PS3 exclusive as well. It took market forces coming into play to cause these games to get ported to the 360. Even now, the PS3 still has some major 3rd party exclusives, despite being far and away the last place system.

I think a lot of people don't want the PS3 to do well because they don't want to see it start picking up exclusives again.

B-Ri

Green Shinobi said:
I think a lot of people don't want the PS3 to do well because they don't want to see it start picking up exclusives again.

which is completely idiotic because every system is going to get amazing exclusive games. Despite PS2s MASSIVE market share and complete slaughtering of both the GC and Xbox last generation, GC and Xbox had some very awesome and must not miss games.

Oh look, a Sony post that got over run by jackasses , trolls, alt accounts and assclowns.
Who would have seen that coming...

Anyway drinks all around for us Sony fans, first anniversary of many.

Afrikan

MassiveAttack said:

Only a true Manly Man can have a Playstation as a cake for his wedding.......and have his wife hold a controller for the camera....my god.... she indeed loves this guy
but its a damn shame he is doing this to his wife on this special day

Afrikan said:
Only a true Manly Man can have a Playstation as a cake for his wedding.......and have his wife hold a controller for the camera....my god.... she indeed loves this guy
but its a damn shame he is doing this to his wife on this special day
You know... they could both be gamers. It does happen!

Top Bottom