• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms PS4 Neo, [Cites smartphone cycle, waiting until enough games post E3]

Well, Neo would release around 3 years after the normal PS4. If you add another 3/4 years it would be time to go next gen and release a PS5 that may be compatible with PS4 games for full BC but would feature exclusive games that would take advantage of the extra horsepower.

I see Neo as a mid-gen update, like a Slim but on steroids. The next update would be a next gen console. I think it would be too complicated -specially for marketing- to have a 3 PS4 SKUs with different performance and features.

I suppose it could be read two ways. Either the original PS4's life cycle, so that eventually they will stop making and selling the original PS4 or the life cycle of the PS4 in general, so that by the end of the generation, the original PS4 and Neo are still on sale together.

The Neo by all accounts is tied directly to the PS4, when the PS5 comes out, both the the PS4 and the Neo will be phased out as per usual.

It's a normal console generation with the "iPhone S" dynamic added in. All the forward compatibility talk is forum speculation, the PS5 might be backwards compatible with PS4/Neo games, but past that, there appears to still be a generational divide.

I think people are still stuck in this "mid-cycle update" logic (although I agree to a lot yurinka said). Meaning that the inevitable successor of PS4k / Neo will be PS5 at some point, with a very own library of games. From my point of view, this iterative console model means something else. I tried to visualize how I see Sony's roadmap for the future (sorry that doesn't look more sophisticated as I created this with vanilla PowerPoint at home):

psroadmapn5r4n.png

So, basically, two SKUs together establish one "generation".

Each generation is defined by the same library of games. So devs are forced to support two SKUs at the same time (it's up to them to support older SKUs as well).

In this model Sony only supports two SKUs at the same time (like Apple does with their iPad if you ignore the different screens sizes). So PS4 doesn't become a low budget offer once Neo successor "Trinity" arrives.

If this model applies, there won't be a classic "PS5". Or a "next generation" as we are used to. Instead, we will see incremental updates and a shift of supported games with each new SKU. Of course, that doesn't mean Sony cannot name Neo successor "Trinity" PS5.

You misunderstood me. I'm talking business model you're talking form factor. I never said people will stop buying consoles or consoles will disappear and PC will rise. I said the old console business model is dying and disappearing and what we see is a new business model, with incremental upgrades and disappearence of the concept of generations. But the form factor, aka the box, the hardware, remains and will likely grow with this switch of business model.

To be honest, this might not happen again next gen. IF PS5 for example is released on a mature 10nm process and the process node doesn't change until year 4th of the console or something, it probably won't make sense to do this, but wait and release something at year 6th.

I have a feeling neither company (or at least not Sony) was really thinking of doing this, but it just kind of "happened" (AMD offering to use Polaris instead in a die shrink for a similar price, an offer they can't really refuse in case the other guy does it).

geordiemp

Proposal: The amount of people on the forum who are very concerned that their PS4 will no longer be the most powerful PlayStation within six months and/or that the Xbox Scorpio will be more powerful than both their PS4 and the PS4K in 2017 suggests that hardware power is a really notable concern for many enthusiast gamers.

Sort of but not really. Go read the what do you want Neo to do for Uncharted 4, there lies your answer. 60 FPS almost every post (the odd 120 lol)

4, 5 or 6 TF, people just want 60 FPS in games like UC4, Witcher 3, Bloodborne, or they want a console capable of that developer permitting.

But TF is not everything, a 6 TF jaguar powered console would not deliver what enthusiasts want anyway in gaming performance, hence the CPU and bandwidth choices are actually more relevant.

Ahh the death of consoles if fast approaching. Too bad some seem excited for it. Might as well just buy a pc.

Do that, enjoy playing online against gaming mice, guys running the game at 120 Hz at 1440p on 1 ms monitors clicking on your head in every shooter, guys using macros or worse cheats such as aimbots, disguised aim bots, changing their field of FOV, optimising the fire rate of guns using macros for no recoil....

Like a hole in the head....

Bedlam

Yeah no, I'm still not feeling this and I probably never will. I'm also not a person who buys a new smartphone every year or two.

What this makes me want to do is buy a new PC first and foremost. Hell, I might buy an Xbone 1,5 over a PS4 Neo even because I then get access to MS' games as well (I already have access to Sony games on PS4).

I think people are still stuck in this "mid-cycle update" logic (although I agree to a lot yurinka said). Meaning that the inevitable successor of PS4k / Neo will be PS5 at some point, with a very own library of games. From my point of view, this iterative console model means something else. I tried to visualize how I see Sony's roadmap for the future (sorry that doesn't look more sophisticated as I created this with vanilla PowerPoint at home):

psroadmapn5r4n.png

So, basically, two SKUs together establish one "generation".

Each generation is defined by the same library of games. So devs are forced to support two SKUs at the same time (it's up to them to support older SKUs as well).

At the same time, in this model Sony only supports two SKUs at the same time (like Apple does with their iPad if you ignore the different screens sizes).

If this model applies, there won't be a classic "PS5". Or a "next generation" as we are used to. Instead, we will see incremental updates and a shift of supported games with each new SKU. Of course, that doesn't mean Sony cannot name Neo successor "Trinity" PS5.

That seems to be my thinking as well; that Sony will require all software to be one 'generation' forward compatible. And of course, I think going forward they need to be clear that all software will be backwards compatible in perpetuity. At any rate, the 'upgrade once every 6/7 years' cycle would still be viable, there'd just also be an every 3 or 4 year cycle for those who want to be closer to the bleeding edge.

I think there needs to be a Sony-sanctioned upgrade plan too, though, for it to be completely a slam dunk.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ahh the death of consoles if fast approaching. Too bad some seem excited for it. Might as well just buy a pc.

Well perhaps Sony/MS are hoping by getting you sucked into their ecosystem you'll be less likely to bother with a PC because you get the incremental performance upgrade benefits but in a simple box? So what people are considering a negative will be a positive for many people

Well perhaps Sony/MS are hoping by getting you sucked into their ecosystem you'll be less likely to bother with a PC because you get the incremental performance upgrade unity benefits but in a simple box? So what people are considering a negative will be a positive for many people

That's my outlook as well, especially since there will probably be upgrade incentives. I'll probably sell my PS4 towards getting a NEO.

geordiemp

That's my outlook as well, especially since there will probably be upgrade incentives. I'll probably sell my PS4 towards getting a NEO.

I will keep my Ps4's, I dont trade stuff, but its either Neo or Scorpio, the first who will deliver 60 FPS console gaming as a priority is my path. Neo depends on Sony choices, a weak CPU Neo is dead to me. I will get VR that goes with the console i choose.

That seems to be my thinking as well; that Sony will require all software to be one 'generation' forward compatible. And of course, I think going forward they need to be clear that all software will be backwards compatible in perpetuity.

Until we get an insider or a leak that points to concrete future compatibility or "perpetual backwards compatibility" it's just rampant speculation. Currently everything is pointing to a similar hardware lifecycle with a mid-generation hardware update.

I'm sure Sony wants easier hardware compatibility, but one generation backwards compatibility can be daunting enough, trying to mandate indefinite compatibility backwards and one generation forwards is a lot of spinning plates.

(I'm also not convinced forward compatibility won't confuse consumers and partially dilute the need to upgrade to a PS5.)

RulkezX

"Hey, you give Apple £500 every 2 years, why not us, too?"

Fuck right off.

Do people do that though? I get a new high end smart phone everytime my minimum term ends, I've never paid a penny yet and don't expect to when my next upgrade is die at the end of this month.

It's always seems av silly comparison when most people have their phones subsidised on contacts.

SwolBro

Banned

Fuck right off.

i agree, it comes off bad. the upgrade really has to be huge in order for me to pluck down more cash.

if xbone doesn't impress with scorpio, why the hell would i drop another few hundred dollars for an incremental upgrade? such garbage.

i hold on to my phone and usually skip an entire generation before upgrading again.

Until we get an insider or a leak that points to concrete future compatibility or "perpetual backwards compatibility" it's just rampant speculation. Currently everything is pointing to a similar hardware lifecycle with a mid-generation hardware update.

I'm sure Sony wants easier hardware compatibility, but one generation backwards compatibility can be daunting enough, trying to mandate indefinite compatibility backwards and one generation forwards is a lot of spinning plates.

(I'm also not convinced forward compatibility won't confuse consumers and partially dilute the need to upgrade to a PS5.)

The chatter I keep hearing is that MS and Sony are switching to a mobile-esqe platform for content delivery, this is reflected in the messaging that House and Spencer have conveyed; that inherently demands more fluid compatibility between platforms. At the very least on MS's side, the development of UWAs seems to indicate that purchases are intended to be viable across different platforms.

I will keep my Ps4's, I dont trade stuff, but its either Neo or Scorpio, the first who will deliver 60 FPS console gaming as a priority is my path. Neo depends on Sony choices, a weak CPU Neo is dead to me. I will get VR that goes with the console i choose.

History has shown that game developers (with the exception of fighting game and character action creators) will generally sacrifice gameplay fluidity for graphical fidelity. I doubt that's going to change next/mid-gen. If you really care about hitting 60fps for most games, you probably should invest in a PC.

SeanTSC

Fuck right off.

But, it's not every 2 years. It'll be 3 at minimum if it comes out this year and looking like 4 minimum for the Scorpio. I don't think that's outlandish for hardware and technology. It's also not nearly as much as Apple products either. £500 isn't the same as £400 or whatever it will be over there and likely $399 here.

Personally I'd prefer 4 years and think that's the most optimal for tech, but I'm sure people here would freak out over that too.

I mean, everyone was complaining about how insufferably long last gen was, lasting between 6-8 years (Compared to 4 - 6 years with previous generations). I do think we'll enter a shorter gen cycle though, with iterative consoles every 42 months or so. That's still not as quick of a turn around as cell phones, which makes sense; gaming consoles aren't as much of a necessity as phones. But I think this is good for gaming at least in terms of raw power; this means that consoles going forward won't be such a millstone around the necks of PC development.

geordiemp

History has shown that game developers (with the exception of fighting game and character action creators) will generally sacrifice gameplay fluidity for graphical fidelity. I doubt that's going to change next/mid-gen. If you really care about hitting 60fps for most games, you probably should invest in a PC.

Frostbite games are now targeting 60 and lowering resolution, most people dont seem to care about greater than 1080p on consoles and want 60 FPS, so either Neo or Scorpio will deliver on that front and profit from it.

Smart developers will make what gamers prefer. No I hate mouse gaming, and have no desire to ever play online games with a PC.

HussiZooT

I mean, everyone was complaining about how insufferably long last gen was, lasting between 6-8 years (Compared to 4 - 6 years with previous generations). I do think we'll enter a shorter gen cycle though, with iterative consoles every 42 months or so. That's still not as quick of a turn around as cell phones, which makes sense; gaming consoles aren't as much of a necessity as phones. But I think this is good for gaming at least in terms of raw power; this means that consoles going forward won't be such a millstone around the necks of PC development.

You know, I was initially against the mid-gen console upgrade. I still am, but going forward, if this trend sticks, I hope they stick to 3-4 year cycles then. I'd be okay with that.

wapplew

Iterative console cycle going to make this gen even longer, it's so long we might not have another new generation.

SeanTSC

Yep, I fucking hated that the X360/PS3 gen lasted so long. I really, really hated it. And yeah, they definitely felt like they started to hold back PC development, especially with the pitiful RAM that they had. I know that going to X86 was a huge boon for developers as well. I don't think that a 3/4 year cycle (Neo/Scorpio) on an X86 platform is going to really hurt anyone.

SeanTSC

So is it fair to expect some stronger than NEO from Sony 24 months after NEO?

No, why would it be? The Neo isn't 24 months after the PS4. Where do people keep pulling this dumb 2 year number from? It'll probably have been 3 years at least by the time the Neo is out, I'd say a hair short at 35 months at absolute minimum. Then there's the Scorpio which will have been 4 years by the time it's out.

Nydus

My concern is that the added hardwarepower wont bring 60fps. They could have done it with this generation but opted for mostly 30fps to achieve better looks. I think the neo will just add more bling @ 30 fps and call it a day. Hopefully im wrong but i also dont have the will/need/income for a new console this time around.

Frostbite games are now targeting 60 and lowering resolution, most people dont seem to care about greater than 1080p on consoles and want 60 FPS, so either Neo or Scorpio will deliver on that front and profit from it.

Smart developers will make what gamers prefer. No I hate mouse gaming, and have no desire to ever play online games with a PC.

I think a lot of gamers legitimately like flashy graphics; I know I do. And while NEO and probably Scorpio won't be able to render in 4k, higher resolutions seem to be the big ticket item going forward.

A lot of gamers play PC games with gamepads, you know.

Try to think out of the box.

Yeah I mean, after last gen we're really only going to see, at best, marginal gains even from 'full' console leaps. I think the idea that a 'generation' has to be 5/6 years just is no longer realistic given the rate at which technology is advancing.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Reading thuway's theories: I know PS4 at 299.99 would be the base model, and it should keep on selling alongside PS4 Neo, but 499.99 (not even going in the 599.99 territory) is way too high, even with the supposed aimed audience (hardcore / more informed customers). 449.99 is the limit, IMHO, with 399.99 (and the base model at 299.99) as the ideal price.

EDIT: Going more backwards in the thread, I just read OsirisBlack's post. Not so happy about 499.99 seemingly the "cheapest" option now.

Gamers are also getting older and can afford these things. From sonys perspective they see people upgrading their iphones every 2 years, so why not their home console? I would prefer better graphics, but do feel we may get a single platform one day.

wapplew

Yeah I mean, after last gen we're really only going to see, at best, marginal gains even from 'full' console leaps. I think the idea that a 'generation' has to be 5/6 years just is no longer realistic given the rate at which technology is advancing.

So they release Neo to keep up with tech and yet 5/6 years console leaps only marginal gains, technology advancement too fast or too slow?

Reading thuway's theories: I know PS4 at 299.99 would be the base model, and it should keep on selling alongside PS4 Neo, but 499.99 (not even going in the 599.99 territory) is way too high, even with the supposed aimed audience (hardcore / more informed customers). 449.99 is the limit, IMHO, with 399.99 (and the base model at 299.99) as the ideal price.

I'm thinking 449 for NEO, with a 749 bundle that includes PSVR. Perhaps a 599 bundle for PSVR with Base PS4, or do you think Sony wouldn't want to incentivize people to buy into the base PS4 ecosystem anymore?

So they release Neo to keep up with tech and yet 5/6 years console leaps only marginal gains, technology advancement too fast or too slow?

I mean if you're going to be outclassed by PC in less than a year either way, might as well make the turn around time quicker. The trade-off for shorter times would be guarantees your purchases are respected going forward; so there isn't another big "Fuck you, all your PS3 games and downloads won't work on PS3" situation again.

But, it's not every 2 years. It'll be 3 at minimum if it comes out this year and looking like 4 minimum for the Scorpio. I don't think that's outlandish for hardware and technology. It's also not nearly as much as Apple products either. £500 isn't the same as £400 or whatever it will be over there and likely $399 here.

Personally I'd prefer 4 years and think that's the most optimal for tech, but I'm sure people here would freak out over that too.

It's E3 time, people will overreact over every bit of information, despite not knowing the full picture.
The horror of releasing a more powerful console that runs exactly the same games on both, maybe at the ps4 launch price, ~3 years after it launched.
Think of the children Sony!

kyser73

No, why would it be? The Neo isn't 24 months after the PS4. Where do people keep pulling this dumb 2 year number from? It'll probably have been 3 years at least by the time the Neo is out, I'd say a hair short at 35 months at absolute minimum. Then there's the Scorpio which will have been 4 years by the time it's out.

Because reading comprehension is at an all time low ITT.

There were people who read House's quote about the two consoles 'sitting next to each other' and thought he was talking about literally having the two sat next to each other in homes.

People see '...cycle similar to cellphones' and in their heads it becomes 'exactly like cellphones', hence the two year nonsense.

Please Nintendo support UHD Blu Ray (I can reasonably assume it won't happen though :/ ). Buying a PS Neo mostly for this is so frustrating...

I'd prefer to switch to PC + Nintendo combo. I've been hesitant during the whole previous gen, now's the right time to jump in tailored PC gaming.

Quasar

I'm not sure if your situation is different from mine but no one is forcing me to buy the Neo. For those who are going to buy a Neo, enjoy!

Nor does Apple. Though I do upgrade my ipad every two refreshes. That gives me enough of a bump and a decent enough resale value to help pay for the upgrades.

Makes me wonder what the ps4 used market will be like come Christmas.

kyser73

It's E3 time, people will overreact over every bit of information, despite not knowing the full picture.
The horror of releasing a more powerful console that runs exactly the same games on both, maybe at the ps4 launch price, ~3 years after it launched.
Think of the children Sony!

I think a lot of the howling is coming from children who have to ask their parents for another console & aren't 100% sure they'll get it ;)

Top Bottom