• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Controller to Be Named "Move." Bye bye Gem? truly outrageous

Totobeni said:
so no d-pad on the Nunchuk :(

even Splitfish PS3 Dual evolution has d-pad on the Nunchuk.

el9v90.png

No there is a D-pad on the Nunchuk. I say in my post.

Galvanise_ said:
Any more info on what that big button does on the Arc wand? I heard rumours a while back that they were thinking of making it a biometric sensor pad.

Nope just a big fat easy to use button. Nothing special.

Galvanise_ said:
Any more info on what that big button does on the Arc wand? I heard rumours a while back that they were thinking of making it a biometric sensor pad.

:lol :lol :lol I'm going to assume thats among the "out there" rumours that has no chance of appearing in a 2010 mass-market product. Big Button is most likely for BUZZ! esque games and other casual stuff.

Wireless nunchuck sounds quite a bit more developed than I'd thought with a analog stick, buttons AND a D-Pad.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
ichinisan said:
Nunchuck has an analog stick at the front, below that X and O and below that a D pad. Underneath is L1 and L2. Its actually long, not like the Wii Nunchuk.

Jonnyram said:

fuuuuuuuuuuuuu

well I guess I need a new glasses , seriously..

ichinisan said:
Nope just a big fat easy to use button. Nothing special.

Thats pretty disappointing. I think I'm going to grow to detest that button. Maybe some developers will use it to change the colour of the 'orb' in certain games that may require it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
What the hell is this going to cost? Eyetoy + wand + nunchuk? How can they match the 60 wiimote price?

Agent X

ichinisan said:
Just saw pictures of Wand/Nunchuk so:

Nunchuck has an analog stick at the front, below that X and O and below that a D pad. Underneath is L1 and L2. Its actually long, not like the Wii Nunchuk.

As for the Wand it has one very big button on top and then all four facebuttons (X,O,Square and Triangle) and underneath is a big trigger called T.

Sounds cool, except for the following...

ichinisan said:
I'm guess the doubling up of X and O across the two is to keep full compatibility with single Wand set-ups.

Hurtin' for certain! It would be a huge mistake for them to use the same nomenclature across two different controllers. There's the possibility that the X and circle buttons on the nunchuk merely duplicate the same functions of the corresponding buttons on the wand...but what sense would that make? It would be better to give different names to the buttons on the nunchuk, as the developer could always choose to duplicate functions across different buttons on a game-by-game basis (just as they can do with traditional controllers now).

ichinisan said:
Anyway, I'm sure we'll see in the week.

Yes, I hope so!

SecretBonusPoint said:
:lol :lol :lol I'm going to assume thats among the "out there" rumours that has no chance of appearing in a 2010 mass-market product. Big Button is most likely for BUZZ! esque games and other casual stuff.

Wireless nunchuck sounds quite a bit more developed than I'd thought with a analog stick, buttons AND a D-Pad.

My thoughts really. A combination of the two should cater for the "hardcore"/core gamer crew that need the extra buttons, whereas with just the wand it has that easy to use big button and trigger underneath.

I'm actually relatively excited for it, as I am with Natal, but I think both offer differing takes on Motion control solutions.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Y2Kev said:
What the hell is this going to cost? Eyetoy + wand + nunchuk? How can they match the 60 wiimote price?

I think the nunchuck will be marketed for people who absolutely can't live with a ds3 as nunchuck. i.e. not as a necessity.

I think the typical 'starter bundle' will be eye + wand + game. And I think they can do that at 60. Eyepet was eye + game @ 50 euros (and quickly got discounted to 40 or less round here). So I think a year on they'll be able to do eye + wand + game at 60.

Galvanise_ said:
Thats pretty disappointing. I think I'm going to grow to detest that button. Maybe some developers will use it to change the colour of the 'orb' in certain games that may require it.

To be honest I don't think you could expect much more really. It'll be way too much faffing around and additional cost for it to become mainstream.

itsgreen

Y2Kev said:

Well considering they (everyone) overprice peripherals...

But it is damn near impossible for Sony to make the same margin and maintain a competative price.

To make this a succes they need everyone to use this, when users have this setup, games will come, when there are games, users will come...

If they don't jump in fully, they are bound for failure. Too high price and there won´t be enough users to make it worth while for dev´s to make games, which doesn´t invite new users etc etc...

Y2Kev said:

No they can't that why the Nunchuk will be optional and holding the DS3 in one hand will be the low cost option. As i've already said in this thread , My guess is that Sony will bundle the Arc+ PSeye and a game for 60- 70 bucks. And the nunchuk will be sold separately at a nice little mark up for anyone that donsen't want to hold a DS3 in one hand.

*Edit* Beaten by Gofreak

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
itsgreen said:
Well considering they (everyone) overprice peripherals...

The precedent with the eye is encouraging. The first bundle was expensive (eye of judgment), although they seemed to quickly learn their lesson.

I don't think the eye is overpriced at all by the way. You can get it for 20-odd bones now.

And they've got good value bundles, they bundle it 'free' with games that use it (i.e. eyepet).

I'm fairly confident that the cost of entry to the 'platform' with a starter bundle will be low i.e. the cost of a game.

Agent X

gofreak said:
I think the nunchuck will be marketed for people who absolutely can't live with a ds3 as nunchuck. i.e. not as a necessity.

Probably, but I guess we'd need to see the initial game lineup, and how they use the wand and the nunchuk.

Nintendo in the Wii era has a great knack for selling auxiliary controllers to the masses, even if they only use it for just one game (Wii Wheel for Mario Kart Wii, Balance Board for Wii Fit, Wii MotionPlus for Wii Sports Resort). The Wii nunchuk was used with Wii Sports (really just one event, boxing), and "oh yeah, other games too", so most people buy a Wii Remote and nunchuk together so that all players can have a "complete set".

If Sony doesn't package their nunchuk with the wand, then they will have a tough sell unless there's some real "killer app" game that utilizes it (and probably includes it in the box).

gofreak said:
I think the typical 'starter bundle' will be eye + wand + game. And I think they can do that at 60. Eyepet was eye + game @ 50 euros (and quickly got discounted to 40 or less round here). So I think a year on they'll be able to do eye + wand + game at 60.

That sounds about right to me. They'll need to have such a package as the "main" package for the casuals, as they most likely don't have the PlayStation Eye yet. At the same time, they must also offer a cheaper package (wand + game disc, maybe for $30-$40) for those who do have the Eye already. It always ticked me off that so many of the first-party PS2 EyeToy games were only sold with a bundled camera--I kept waiting for them to sell cheaper packages without the camera, and they never materialized.

Man

I think the typical 'starter bundle' will be eye + wand + game. And I think they can do that at 60.
That's definitely not a full BD game though. Maybe a download code (flower?).

there's also the issue of the developers coming up with controls schemes that are (similar to the wii) dependent upon what hardware it detects.

ie: if it senses just the wand (and it doesn't require more than just the wand), it will enable the wand-only control scheme by default. if it senses wand + nunchuck, it will give you the option of the wand-only scheme or using the nunchuck too- showing you what all buttons do what. THEN... if you are using a wand + DS3, it will open that option up to you, and show you THAT layout, as there are more buttons available for a potential control scheme if a DS3 is involved, rather than just wand and/or nunchuck.

just a "T" button on the wand- no R1/R2 right?

i know im going to get flamed but this is actually exciting me for future games releasing with pure DS3 support AND arc support. if i get tired i can switch control schemes and sit down. :lol

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
there's also the issue of the developers coming up with controls schemes that are (similar to the wii) dependent upon what hardware it detects.

ie: if it senses just the wand (and it doesn't require more than just the wand), it will enable the wand-only control scheme by default. if it senses wand + nunchuck, it will give you the option of the wand-only scheme or using the nunchuck too- showing you what all buttons do what. THEN... if you are using a wand + DS3, it will open that option up to you, and show you THAT layout, as there are more buttons available for a potential control scheme if a DS3 is involved, rather than just wand and/or nunchuck.

just a "T" button on the wand- no R1/R2 right?

i know im going to get flamed but this is actually exciting me for future games releasing with pure DS3 support AND arc support. if i get tired i can switch control schemes and sit down. :lol

Just a "T" button yes, this I've not seen but I'm taking it as read from my friend. Those differing schemes based on hardware sound like a good idea.

Agent X

Man said:

I thought about this, and if they want this to be a success with the casuals, then they certainly must have some sort of disc in the box. There are still a lot of people out there who either:

A. Don't hook up their PS3 systems to the Internet, or

B. Are afraid to use the PlayStation Store for some reason.

Don't forget that having the disc in the box would enable the player to bring the controller to a friend's house, pop the game disc into his friend's PS3, and instantly have fun. If the pack-in game is only offered as a downloadable, then this scenario would be much more difficult, since you'd have to log on with your PSN account, and wait several minutes for the game to download.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Man said:

Like I say...eye + eyepet was 50 euros last xmas (actually less at retail pretty quickly, but that was rrp).

I can definitely see them doing eye + wand + game at 60 a year later.

Now, eyepet ain't Killzone 3. I don't think they'd do a bundle like that with a 'BIG' release, i.e. sacrifice their margins on a big title like that. But with something like eyepet, a BD game on that kind of level? Sure, I can see them doing that.

Linkified

From reading the descrition of the Arc + Nunchuck it makes be kinda worried as the Arc itself seems to have less buttons than a wiimote and the nunchuck seems to have too many. I guess I need to see software that incorporates both pieces of this puzzle though.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Linkified said:
From reading the descrition of the Arc + Nunchuck it makes be kinda worried as the Arc itself seems to have less buttons than a wiimote and the nunchuck seems to have too many. I guess I need to see software that incorporates both pieces of this puzzle though.

I think the inclusion of x and o on the nunchuck is a bit of overkill perhaps. Maybe even the d-pad too is a bit unnecessary (imo, though I'm sure others will disagree).

The wand though...it's the same number as you have on the right side of a DS3, although in a different configuration. One less on the shoulder, one more on the face. About the same number you've access to in a one-handed configuration on the Wiimote (if you count the dpad as four buttons). I don't forsee problems for a lack of buttons.

iceatcs

Linkified said:
Well, From official picture of "wand" I saw there are about 6 or 7 buttons and XMB button.
But hey, I do think it might will missing the D-pad which Wiimote do have one. Maybe but what is big middle long shape button for?

Afrikan

so.....

PS3 Arc Slim 120gb Bundle:

PS3 Slim 120gb (with included DS3)

PSeye

Arc

Sony Sports BluRay game

$359?

edit- Arc bundle- Arc, PSeye, Disc Game $69

Ashes

Banned
six axis motion controller... SMC... SAMC... six axis 2.... arc...wand... :(.
For some reason, to me at least, wand +nunchuck has the most familiar ring to it. No matter what it gets marketed as finally, my guess is that, it's going to be called wand (+ nunchuck where that applies) here on gaf....

[Nintex]

Well, I'm interested in seeing this tech again but I can't help but think that it'll be bad for Sony in the short run. MS is going to grab every chance they get to show off how inferior it is to Natal and how Natal is true innovation and more PR speak, while Nintendo will slam it for being 'the same' and 'late the party' even if that doesn't turn out to be true.

[Nintex] said:
Well, I'm interested in seeing this tech again but I can't help but think that it'll be bad for Sony in the short run. MS is going to grab every chance they get to show off how inferior it is to Natal and how Natal is true innovation and more PR speak, while Nintendo will slam it for being 'the same' and 'late the party' even if that doesn't turn out to be true.

so what? it's not as if sony would tape their mouths shut when they launch the arc.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I don't understand the need of X and O on the Nunchuck but seeing as there is a D-Pad I wont complain :)

Do you know anything about what's inside the Nunchuck? Rumble? Motion sensor?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
[Nintex] said:

I think this is dependent on whose hype you want to believe, and the weight Sony does or doesn't throw behind their offerings.

Sony certainly has the a mix of new additions to the PS3's creative/technical pallette coming this year that in concert could claim as much 'superiority'/innovation/uniqueness as anything MS has planned.

Whether they get that message through or not as successfully others is another matter. But something tells me Sony will have less gambled on this than other players.

Baki

$69.99 is too much for ARC + PSEye + Mini-Game Collection. $59.99 seems like the right price and Sony will be getting a decent margin on that (unless they include the nunchuck, which I think they should).

$69.99 seems more like the right price for a Killzone 3 bundle. But to be honest, you can't play Killzone 3 without a "nunchuck".

So basically in my opinion SCEA should price the ARC like this:

$19.99 for Nunchuk
$29.99 For ARC
$39.99 for ARC + PSEye
$59.99 for ARC + PSEye + Nunchuk*
$69.99 for ARC + PSEye + Nunchuk + Mini-Game Collection*
$79.99 for ARC + PSEye + Nunchuk + Killzone 3/Any other AAA game*

*The last 3 are about $10 higher than what it should be to get massive market penetration. Still doable at these prices without crippling their bottom line.

Man

TTP said:
I don't understand the need of X and O on the Nunchuck but seeing as there is a D-Pad I wont complain :)
The Nunchuck isn't wire connected like the Wii. So you can navigate Menus simply by holding the Nunchuck alone while holding whatever else in your right hand.

Sipowicz

Banned
i remember reading somwhere that this will be laggy as fuck for FPS games thanks to the lack IR

any word on that? seemed to be the case in the demo they shoved at E3

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Baki said:
$69.99 is too much for ARC + PSEye + Mini-Game Collection. $59.99 seems like the right price and Sony will be getting a decent margin on that (unless they include the nunchuck, which I think they should).

$69.99 seems more like the right price for a Killzone 3 bundle. But to be honest, you can't play Killzone 3 without a "nunchuck".

Everyone already has a nunchuck though. It's called a DS3. If you buy - say - a KZ3 bundle with an eye and Arc, you've everything you need to play the game.

I don't see Sony doing any bundles with the nunchuck. It'll be a 'pro' tool, an option sold seperately.

gofreak said:
Everyone already has a nunchuck though. It's called a DS3. If you buy - say - a KZ3 bundle with an eye and Arc, you've everything you need to play the game.

I don't see Sony doing any bundles with the nunchuck. It'll be a 'pro' tool, an option sold seperately.

Then this thing is dead. People are not going to want to play this thing with a DS3 in one hand and the wand in the other. It's uncomfortable.

ichinisan said:
Just saw pictures of Wand/Nunchuk so:

As for the Wand it has one very big button on top and then all four facebuttons (X,O,Square and Triangle) and underneath is a big trigger called T.

I'm guess the doubling up of X and O across the two is to keep full compatibility with single Wand set-ups.

Anyway, I'm sure we'll see in the week.

:eek:

Do you know if the nunchuk is connected to the Arc via a cable like the Wiimote/Nunchuk or is it wireless?

Baki

gofreak said:

But if you want mass adoption of the product then, yes, you do "need" a nunchuck. Again, my suggestion is in regards to mass adoption. If SCE wants this thing to take off, the nunchuck HAS to be included (and affordable). If you don't, people will try the cheap option and will be immediately put off. Obviously, there will be some that will invest in the "pro" option but you do not want to take that risk (i.e. to see how many people are willing to invest in the pro-option).

DMeisterJ

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Then this thing is dead. People are not going to want to play this thing with a DS3 in one hand and the wand in the other. It's uncomfortable.

I'm glad that you came back from the future and were able to tell us what everyone wanted. Some people, like myself, see no need for the wand, having two perfectly good DS3s laying around. I'll be using those. Damn the nuchuck.

And it is not uncomfortable.

If holding the DS3 with one hand is uncomfortable, you're doing it wrong. The correct word is 'inelegant'. Yes, it's not an elegant solution, but the comfortability is fine.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Baki said:
But if you want mass adoption of the product then, yes, you do "need" a nunchuck. Again, my suggestion is in regards to mass adoption. If SCE wants this thing to take off, the nunchuck HAS to be included (and affordable). If you don't, people will try the cheap option and will be immediately put off. Obviously, there will be some that will invest in the "pro" option but you do not want to take that risk (i.e. to see how many people are willing to invest in the pro-option).

You have to trade that off against price though. What impact on adoption with another x bucks on your starting price?

With a game like KZ3, too...Sony knows the audience. They know the guys playing KZ3 are probably more likely to know about and splash out on a nunchuck vs the people buying My Fashion Boutique 12. I think that'd probably go for a lot of games using the nunchuck - they aren't likely to be the games pushing this thing out to 'mass adoption', so I think any damage to such adoption by non-inclusion of a nunchuck would be very limited. If any games push this out to mass adoption, it'll be the kind that only need a wand anyhow.

Baki

DMeisterJ said:
I'm glad that you came back from the future and were able to tell us what everyone wanted. Some people, like myself, see no need for the wand, having two perfectly good DS3s laying around. I'll be using those. Damn the nuchuck.

His point exactly. See, you're willing to use DS3 instead of wand. :p

If holding the DS3 with one hand is uncomfortable, you're doing it wrong. The correct word is 'inelegant'. Yes, it's not an elegant solution, but the comfortability is fine.

Holding the DS3 in one hand = not that uncomfortable.
Holding the DS3 in one hand and using the analog stick = KILL ME NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

gofreak said:
You have to trade that off against price though. What impact on adoption with another x bucks on your starting price?

With a game like KZ3, too...Sony knows the audience. They know the guys playing KZ3 are probably more likely to know about and splash out on a nunchuck vs the people buying My Fashion Boutique 12. I think that'd probably go for a lot of games using the nunchuck - they aren't likely to be the games pushing this thing out to 'mass adoption', so I think any damage to such adoption by non-inclusion of a nunchuck would be very limited. If any games push this out to mass adoption, it'll be the kind that only need a wand anyhow.

Thats a fair point.

But this limits the amount of games that can be designed for the ARC. Most have to be basic because the DS3 is not a suitable alternatice to a nunchuck. This will potentially severely affect the "core" audience adoption of the device. We'd rather just play with the good ol' DS3.

Cruzader

Banned
shagg_187 said:
Draw a MSPaint mockup? :p
Can someone do this?

The way its been detailed, it seems like a bad set up for me. L1/R2 all the way down?? Why couldnt they make those triggers on the nunchuck?

Ashes

Banned
@Cruzader: pretty sure he said underneath... not on the face, like your thinking...
Have people wandered how and whether games like GT will use it?
The R1 and R2 button is missing. I'm guessing, the T button is probably analogue in the way R2 is. The big button is probably R1.

DMeisterJ said:

The DS3 wasn't meant to be held with one hand. The fact that Sony is actually creating a nunchuck, a device that is meant to be held with one hand, shows that they understand this. Now there's no reason for them to bullshit and not bundle that with the wand.

Baki

gofreak said:

I do think SCE will go with this option though. Simply because this is the perspective they are most likely going to take. Which is unfortunate for us. But then again, they're still not breaking even on hardware yet.

SolidSnakex said:
The DS3 wasn't meant to be held with one hand. The fact that Sony is actually creating a nunchuck, a device that is meant to be held with one hand, shows that they understand this. Now there's no reason for them to bullshit and not bundle that with the wand.

One reason. Money.

DMeisterJ

Banned
SolidSnakex said:

The reason is to not raise the price any higher than it has to go. And no, it wasn't meant to be held with one hand, but it's not like you can't do it. Have you ever played High Velocity Bowling? The DS3 wasn't meant to be held like you're supposed to when you play a game, but the whole game is based around it. Sony is no stranger to this.

Baki said:
One reason. Money.

Then they should've thought about designing something that wasn't so costly. They already got themselves into enough shit with the initial price of the PS3, why then turn around and design a new control scheme that will also be expensive?

Top Bottom