• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony delays motion controller till Autumn 2010

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Didn't see a thread, tried Google search as site search is off.

Should make for an interesting Christmas, with the wand and Natal out within weeks of each other!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ps3-motion-controller-delayed-till-autumn
Sony has announced a delay to the planned release of the new motion controller for PlayStation 3.

The controller had been due to launch in spring this year. However, in a statement, Sony said it will now be released in the autumn in Japan, North America, Europe and other PAL territories.

There's still no official title for the peripheral, which is referred to as "Motion Controller (tentative name)" in the press release. Reports began circulating yesterday that it will be called Arc.

According to Sony the controller will work with the PlayStation Eye camera. It's said to "detect the natural and intuitive movement of the hand and reflect the precise movement within the game, delivering a whole new entertainment experience on PS3". The plan is for the new peripheral to become the de facto controller for PS3 "along with" the Dual Shock pad.

"We have decided to release the Motion Controller in fall 2010 when we will be able to offer an exciting and varied line-up of software titles that will deliver the new entertainment experience to PS3 users," said Sony Computer Entertainment president Kaz Hirai.
More at the link.

Gomu Gomu

Maybe they will add on another camera, loose the wand, pimp out it's software, and call it THREESIXTYAXIS.

edit: also, already discussed here

they probably just aren't going to do much other than a delay and put this out when microsoft release their motion system so that when the dildo fails they have something to blame for their failure
someone had to say something negative ;P

Haunted

Yeah, we've discussed this in the official thread, seems like the games just weren't ready for a Spring launch.

Or they want to crush Natal in a head-on battle. :eek:

LCfiner

This make a lot of sense. they had shown so little of the software for the thing.

lots of people questioned the spring launch. looks like it was with reason.

man, this winter is gonna be so awesome with all the motion control stuff going head to head :lol

Bummed, to say the least. Would've liked some new toys to play with this spring. As long as there's decent, original software for it, then I won't mind a little extra wait.

Shurs

From a personal perspective, I think this is a good move. There are enough people complaining about the lack of an analog stick or a second peripheral with an analog stick that, hopefully by the time the wand launched in the fall, they'll come up with a solution besides the Dual Shock. Also, it's one less thing I have to spend money on this spring.

From a business perspective, I don't see how this helps Sony. I feel that it would benefit them to launch their motion controller as far ahead of Natal as possible. Of course, if you don't have compelling software to go along with the controller it's pointless to release it.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
At least we know what to expect from Sony and Microsoft's E3 conferences this year!

Gomu Gomu said:
Maybe they will add on another camera, loose the wand, pimp out it's software, and call it THREESIXTYAXIS.

edit: also, already discussed here
However did I miss such huge news in the middle of a mega-thread.

:facepalm:

this is a good thing in my eyes. both microsoft and sony know the success of their motion control depends on software so I expect some quality games from both this fall.

Too late to make a difference for RE5.

This was probably so more software can be ready by launch, it didn't seem like anyone, 1st or 3rd party, really had anything ready.

test_account

XP-39C²
Will the PS3 version of Resident Evil 5: Alternate Edition that is being released in March (i think?) have motion controller support at once, or will they patch it later on now that the PS3 motion controller is delayed?

Septimus

Hopefully they make a proper controller with the extra time. I'm not waiting 6 more months to still hold a Dual Shock 3 sideways in one hand.

Sipowicz

Banned
eh... i don't see it making much of a difference

it doesn't really offer much more than wii motion+ and the design is pretty goofy. it also doesn't have the hype the wiimote/natal have

it might have had a chance with some decent support but that's not likely to happen

Nakazato

Not sure if this was the best idea now you have sphere gem arc (what ever sony wants to call it) pretty much going head 2 head with Natal.

Legendary

Neo Member
There are probably not enough games developed yet. This delay isn't a bad thing at all, because I want proper games for this device and not only simple demos.

-PXG-

Saw this on facebook last night. Why wven bother? I can't imagine arc, gem or whatever the hell it is, being successful or even profitable

Jeels

For me this is a good thing, this season is looking to be pretty busy, don't want peripherals clogging it up too...

Looks like Natal and Sony's Wand will go head to head this holiday season. Oh the lulz.

Hopefully both have lots of good third party support around launch. That's really what it will come down to to me.

[Nintex]

Jeels said:
For me this is a good thing, this season is looking to be pretty busy, don't want peripherals clogging it up too...

Looks like Natal and Sony's Wand will go head to head this holiday season. Oh the lulz.

Hopefully both have lots of good third party support around launch. That's really what it will come down to to me.
Third parties rarely support devices such as this. Look at the balance board, Playstation Eye, Microsoft cam thingie and other stuff. It's going to be a showdown between Rare, Big Park and a bunch of SCE studios and patched games. Personally I wouldn't bet my money on either side.

Legendary

Neo Member
confused said:
Shit just got interesting. Does this mean RE5 will be delayed, too?

Probably not. RE5: Gold Edition is just offering Motion Control support, but you can also play it with a normal controller, of course. On the other hand, this is by far the most interesting game to launch with the Motion Controller, unless they have some surprises, yet to be announced.

Oni Jazar

-PXG- said:
Saw this on facebook last night. Why wven bother? I can't imagine arc, gem or whatever the hell it is, being successful or even profitable

The way I see it, at the very least it will allow devs to port more Wii games to the PS3. This gives it the best of both worlds. You get 3rd party HD games for 360/PS3 and 3rd party motion games from Wii/PS3. I'd also be willing to bet that even Natal games would be ported to PS3. Espeically now that Natal won't be off-loading any calculations, it should be feasable to down-port the experience with just the PS Eye.

ShinNL

Can I conclude from the reactions so far in this thread that not many are really disappointed, because no one is really looking forward to it (as it is now, games and/or hardware)?

Septimus said:
Hopefully they make a proper controller with the extra time. I'm not waiting 6 more months to still hold a Dual Shock 3 sideways in one hand.

It will take a third party like Mad Catz about 30 seconds to make a one handed dual shock for those concerned enough to whine about this.

For the casual market, having the dualshock available so anyone can use it makes the most sense from a financial and accessibility standpoint

Shurs

Soneet said:
Can I conclude from the reactions so far in this thread that not many are really disappointed, because no one is really looking forward to it (as it is now, games and/or hardware)?

I'm excited about the potential of the motion controller, but that excitement is curbed by the lack of information on the games that will justify the peripheral's existence.

so we get to watch Arc and Natal fail simultaneously?

awesome.

i can't wait for e3, where Nintendo will no doubt shit on these motion control me-too's with something spectacular.

Barrett2

Soneet said:

With the almost complete lack of software announced for this thing, I think right now its tough to get genuinely hyped, other than a general hope that it is a legit product when it launches.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Manmademan said:
It will take a third party like Mad Catz about 30 seconds to make a one handed dual shock for those concerned enough to whine about this.
There was already a one handed controller for the PSone and PS2. I actually only remember the PSone variant, but the PS2 one looks pretty cool, actually.

4290009497_22f6918bcb_o.jpg

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
The Faceless Master said:

awesome.

i can't wait for e3, where Nintendo will no doubt shit on these motion control me-too's with something spectacular.
Gotta be ready to cop...er implement whatever Nintendo does at E3.

Jeels

[Nintex] said:
Third parties rarely support devices such as this. Look at the balance board, Playstation Eye, Microsoft cam thingie and other stuff. It's going to be a showdown between Rare, Big Park and a bunch of SCE studios and patched games. Personally I wouldn't bet my money on either side.

Well I think it depends on if they make it an integral part of the console like the wiimote is for the Wii, then publishers will have no choice but to support it, even if it is with cheap knock off games. I think the only big third party support we've known about for either is the RE5 with motion controls.

Now, if it turns into kind of a "side thing" like Wii fit, then ya, I don't see more then a few companies supporting it here and there. But I don't think thats the aim Sony or Microsoft are going for here, they want to jump on board with this motion gaming craze, so they are not going to treat this like some extra peripheral, they are going to treat it as relaunches for their consoles, at least if they want to be successful.

trk_rkd

Banned

awesome.

You were doing so well until the last sentence! Both Arc and Natal will fail simultaneously (and spectacularly, after a brief but successful period of media hype)... and then Nintendo will shit on them with just, well, more of the same. Hardcore gamers will come away disgusted by all three parties.

awesome.

I just have a hard time seeing either one of those succeed. Not because of how both will be orchestrated but based upon "who" from either the 360 or PS3 will take them seriously. The focus and biggest audience on the Wii is FAR different from the majority of PS3/360 owners. That's why all 3 systems are selling to different markets.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Manmademan said:

they already made that , Dual SFX from Splitfish for PS3.

51EWF0ciNXL._SS400_.jpg

Yes, the vitality sensor truly was amazing last year! So amazing it still won't be out so they can show it again.

I sorta think this is a mistake on Sony's part, but if the games arent there, they arent there :/ NATAL has a shitload more hype though, so they are going to need to come out before it, despite Natal in my opinion being completely awful (can't even detect fingers now, so it might as well just be EyeToy)

As for who is going to support it, I'd bet on more quality coming from Sony's First Party's than Microsoft's.

[Nintex]

Jeels said:
Well I think it depends on if they make it an integral part of the console like the wiimote is for the Wii, then publishers will have no choice but to support it, even if it is with cheap knock off games. I think the only big third party support we've known about for either is the RE5 with motion controls.

Now, if it turns into kind of a "side thing" like Wii fit, then ya, I don't see more then a few companies supporting it here and there. But I don't think thats the aim Sony or Microsoft are going for here, they want to jump on board with this motion gaming craze, so they are not going to treat this like some extra peripheral, they are going to treat it as relaunches for their consoles, at least if they want to be successful.
Unless Microsoft and Sony are putting their big franchises on NATAL and Arc I'm not expecting a shift. We might see more casual games on the systems but without lets say Killzone: Assault Recon Commando, Fable 3 or Halo jumping on board I'm not expecting much outside of Rare or SCE.

Also you can bet Nintendo to play the WiiRelax and Zelda card this E3. Most likely the Zelda: "look we've completely changed everything" card which could swing either way.

Jeels said:

people forget pretty quickly that dual analog and vibration was originally an "optional peripheral" for the PS1, before it was quickly adopted as a pack-in and made standard.

If sony is really looking at this to be a successful long term competitor to something like the wii, they're going to need to start bundling it with Slims and backing it up with first party software.

jett

D-Member
This is going to be a complete disaster without fuck amazing content.

...it'll probably be a complete disaster anyway because of the inevitable high price of having to package a motion thingymajig with a playstation eye. :p

this is pefect! it will allow them to go head to head, spec vs. spec with Natal and show consumers that their product is the more advanced and game viable platform.

Just a great move by Sony for not allowing Microsoft garner any hype with their release of the 3 webcams in one.

Sony will be riding the wave from all of their tremendous first party games this year, along with the amazing 3D tech, right into the release of their wand... absolutely genius!

-PXG-

Oni Jazar said:
The way I see it, at the very least it will allow devs to port more Wii games to the PS3. This gives it the best of both worlds. You get 3rd party HD games for 360/PS3 and 3rd party motion games from Wii/PS3. I'd also be willing to bet that even Natal games would be ported to PS3. Espeically now that Natal won't be off-loading any calculations, it should be feasable to down-port the experience with just the PS Eye.

Ok. But will Sony be able to capture the casual/ Wii motion control crowd? If they can't, and the project doesn't make them money, then it would have all been done in vain.

Taurus

KittonGotWet said:
this is pefect! it will allow them to go head to head, spec vs. spec with Natal and show consumers that their product is the more advanced and game viable platform.

Just a great move by Sony for not allowing Microsoft garner any hype with their release of the 3 webcams in one.

Sony will be riding the wave from all of their tremendous first party games this year, along with the amazing 3D tech, right into the release of their wand... absolutely genius!
You can't be real.

Top Bottom