• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony doesn't allow Fallout 4/Skyrim mods on PS4

Lister

Banned
Well, Skyrim runs on entry level gamign laptops now a days, even with some mods, so I'd suggest if you're interested to go ahead and pick it up for chepa on PC before the remastering hits (It's a free udpate on PC I believe).

There were always goign to be mods that wouldn't have worked on consoles anyway, so you'll be getting the entire ecosystem.

Sucks that Sony wasn't willing to play ball though.

The way they would have to implement it goes against some of Sony's policies and something about space/memory.

Most likely reason. I'm sure Sony's not against the idea of mods overall (otherwise this decision would have been made well before now,) but they probably just hit something they needed to be able to do that Sony wouldn't budge on (probably because they were worried about a user exploiting it somehow) and Bethesda decided that they'd rather just not do mods at all than go without that thing.

Really disappointing, but not unexpected. I'm going to have to skip out on Skyrim on PS4. Microsoft has really turned the ship around on the Xbox one, I'll probably get a Scorpio, or maybe even an S somewhat soon, and play it there.

Nokterian

I don't like to say it..but after 2 years seeing microsoft slowly doing it better even with backwards compatibility and even allow mods also having a more robust infrastructure with xbox live adding Play Anywhere..good grief what is happening to you sony? Also i own both consoles but seeing what is happening now is just to weird.

Hesemonni

Banned
Just out of curiosity how many mods are on Xbox One and how widely spread they are?

Sony probably calculated it's not worth the risk seeing how Bethesda isn't exactly known for its technical prowess.

Sounds like Sony wants to be cautious on this front and are unwilling to budge. There is no work around for Bethesda I am also assuming. Sad news. Now I know I won't be picking up Skyrim since I was looking forward to the amazing mods.

Floody

I know Sony are known for being slow, but they've been taking the piss with this, took them what? 18 months? To finally say no. They should explain why quick and not have it be some shitty reason like why EA Access isn't allowed.

I'm curious why Bethesda was running around marketing the mods in the first place if they didn't have all their cards in place. That was huge oversight on their part.

Like telling people you're having a huge party with catering without actually having a confirmation from the caterer yet.

Lol and just when I finally decided to get a PS4 Slim over an Xbox One S as my first current gen console (other than Wii U). Skyrim is on the shortlist of games I actually really want, including FFXV, KH3, and RE7. Since neither company's exclusives really matter to me, it's back to the drawing board I guess.

Piers

I'm curious why Bethesda was running around marketing the mods in the first place if they didn't have all their cards in place. That was huge oversight on their part.

Like telling people you're having a huge party with catering without actually having a confirmation from the caterer yet.

Or that Megaman Legends 3 is happening and hasn't been green-lit by Capcom.

Scrawnton

Like most of us fans, they probably thought "no way would Sony block such a cool feature."

Servbot24

Banned
Sony should prevent those games from being playable altogether.

But for real though, it seems like Sony is losing the vision that made PS4 a success. That's being over dramatic, but still, it will happen one small step at a time.

Remember when UT3 on PS3 had Mouse/Keyboard support and full mod tools back in 2008?

Real weird to see Sony now being the only platform holder Skyrim is on that is locked-down with regards to mods.

StereoVsn

I play Bethesda games on PC but I still think Sony needs to come out and explain what's going on. Whether it's audio licensing, memory handling, security, etc, Somy's customers deserve an answer especially in light of competition supporting this very feature.

Did Adam Boyes take all the good decisions with him when he left?

This'd be a perfect time to announce the NX, but Nintendo gunna Nintendo.

Lol and just when I finally decided to get a PS4 Slim over an Xbox One S as my first current gen console (other than Wii U). Skyrim is on the shortlist of games I actually really want, including FFXV, KH3, and RE7. Since neither company's exclusives really matter to me, it's back to the drawing board I guess.

mods work great on the Xbox one

ZeroCDR

The writing was on the wall already, it sucks. Honestly wish I got the Xbox One version to start with.

I'll be getting the PC version for sure eventually, but I need to upgrade it first.

Basically guaranteed them some lost sales.

I think it's more now people will try to demand a refund and bad PR on them since they promised the mods were coming.

You are right though the loss of potential sales is still a factor, just in from my point of view the people that want Fallout 4 already got it (most anyway)

Yea it is weird that they didn't run everything by Sony and MS. MS was down for the way they would handle mods but it sounds like Sony never once agreed it. I would like to know how Bethesda first positioned mod support to them and if Sony backtracked.

Or what I expect: Issues popped up midway

Kayant

FYI, these were the reasons brought up a few months ago when they said mods would be delayed:

https://bethesda.net/#en/devnotes/creation-kit-1-5-4-update-ps4-mod-support-and-new-security-for-uploading

"KNOWN ISSUES WITH PS4 MODS

PC textures are used. Memory and performance issues may occur. We are working with Sony on optimal texture exporting support in a future update.
Sound files are currently not supported. PS4 sound format is a proprietary format. We are working with Sony on sound file processing support in a future update.
PS4 Mod Storage limit is approximately 900 MB at present. Please do not upload mods larger than 900 MB. We are working with Sony to increase this limit."
Makes sense

Still #Fortheplayers
*When we choose.

It's a bad sign, when even Microsoft is making better consumer decisions than Sony.
That happens all the time. I don't remember ms withholding their emulator from last gen to resell the games digitally, specially after removing hardware bc from their console, to name a big one.

coughlanio

Isn't it rumored that KH3 is cancelled on Xbox?

Top Bottom