• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony doesn't allow Fallout 4/Skyrim mods on PS4

I'd love to hear Sony's response to this. The phrase "Sony has informed us they will not approve user mods the way they should work" implies there might have been a compromise solution.

Because compromise is what you want with user mods. Maybe if you paid an extra 10 bucks a month to use the Internet on the console Sony would let it slide?

BTA

Did... they not clear this with Sony before the original announcement? Is it really on Sony if they said it would be added before these discussions took place?

Anung

Un Rama
Arrogant Sony is back.

EDIT: I don't actually believe this but just wanted to beat the usual suspects from posting it.

Damn, that sucks. I was really looking forward to playing with mods. Haven't touched Fallout 4 in months and was hoping mods would get me back into it. Still haven't finished Far Harbor and not even started Nuka World yet.

Jesus Christ what an amazingly disappointing outcome. I was eagerly awaiting the Fallout mods. Def won't be buying Skyrim now either. Why even allow us to get our hopes up if you haven't ironed out the kinks?! Seriously if there was even a chance of this happening they should never have announced. Such bullshit

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Wasn't there a variety of technical issues related to this? Not saying that's the reason but it never sounded like a simple solution in the first place.

Getting pretty sick of this shit. Keep it up Sony and everyone will be jumping ship right back to MS. Probably no reason not to when Scorpio releases. Keep making that bed.

silva1991

Jesus Sony you have been pretty bad this year.

no BC at least for the Neo(pro)
awful and cheap consoles designs for Slim and Pro after the glorious OG PS4 design
no 4k blu rays support
incraesing PS+ price
no The Last guardian marketing what so ever

and now no mods? for fuck sake Sony it's like they want to kill the momentum after 2013 E3.

"We're going to announce mods on PS4. We're not going to release it though, because Sony doesn't allow it. We did announce it tho."

sensui-tomo

Not defending sony for proprietary sound files and whatever else they had that didnt work, but at least i didnt make a promise that mods would work before checking with sony . Bethesda is to blame for not checking this shit when they announced mods and sony for using odd choices that didnt make this easy.

c0de

That is really sad and I wonder why Sony has its system so locked up. I don't see a reason for this and yes, it is only Sony to blame it isn't happening.
Bethesda is to blame that they thought it might be possible when they announced the compatibility with Sony's PS4 and yes, that was confusing to the customer but in the end, it wasn't up to them why it was not happening.

But the game does not crash over and over on Xbox. Where did you get that from?
Uh, from watching it happen to several of my friends while trying certain mods? They get kicked back to OS with a game close/crash with certain mods/combos. Of course those get updated and whatnot but after NMS crashing on PS4 dozens of times on players its just something I thought of off the top of my head.

Fuck that shit.

With Fallout 4 I'm not too bummed because it was new this gen but there goes any reason to buy Skyrim on ps4 I suppose.

Noobcraft

Wasn't there a variety of technical issues related to this? Not saying that's the reason but it never sounded like a simple solution in the first place.
Iirc Sony wanted mods to use PlayStation specific file structures/file types which doesn't really work with mods made by the community.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Jesus Sony you have been pretty bad this year.

no BC at least for the Neo(pro)
awful and cheap consoles designs for Slim and Pro after the glorious OG PS4 design
no 4k blu rays support
incraesing PS+ price
no The Last guardian marketing what so ever

and now no mods? for fuck sake Sony it's like they want to kill the momentum after 2013 E3.

Don't forget them ignoring the ongoing issues with the dual shock 4.

Either security, cost/benefit analysis, or they are too worried that people will do obscene things with mods and they don't want to be on the hook for that.

oSoLucky

Are the Fallout mods available on XB1 anything substantial? I was planning on finishing at some point on PS4 but I might switch. I wish we were privy to some of the real) background reasoning behind these decisions. This and EA Access.... on the surface it seems like such nonsensical moves. Wait, MS has been really cozy with EA and Bethesda for a long time. Must be a conspiracy!

Blam

But the game does not crash over and over on Xbox. Where did you get that from?

Yeah this does not happen at all with the Xbox One mods.

It's a real shame that this had to happen. I guess the way it was done had to break Sony's policy. Stupid that they couldn't bend it.

Thats what im interested to know. Usually MS was all about restriction but....first EA access, cross-plattform PSN/XBL online multiplayer and now Mods. What happened to 4 the players ?

Its not a big deal to me personally...just weird that Sony is being more restrictive nowadays, since they used to be more open than MS - who would even let MMOs on their consoles.

Yeah its weird but I mean what do you expect Microsoft was ready for all of this if you think about it. They've been planning for those things for a while.

GHG

Gold Member
Getting pretty sick of this shit. Keep it up Sony and everyone will be jumping ship right back to MS. Probably no reason not to when Scorpio releases. Keep making that bed.

My feeling on this as well if Scorpio ends up being what people hope it will be.

From a hardware perspective Sony are pretty lucky they are launching first right now because if not...

rofl... Sony please :/

Waiting for the "but who's playing mods anyway? We're in 2016 and people can go see Let's Play of these same mods." post

If they make a sh*tty TLG it'll be the final blow to me :'(
also Shenmue 3 please be good even if not Sony involved, just be good.

Top Bottom