• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Europe: PS3 is next gen, Wii and 360- "current gen"

X26

Banned
2 threads posted roughly 2 hours apart, one about something dumb Sony PR said, one about something dumb MS PR said. One has 150+ replies, one has <20 replies. Hmmm

So, Sony are essentially positioning their console as the new Neo-Geo. Very interesting that they concede any pretention to top spot so early in the day, though really we all knew that they wouldn't have a hope of coming top of any market quite some time ago so the genuine motive behind such a comment is revealed with little digging.

X26 said:
2 threads posted roughly 2 hours apart, one about something dumb Sony PR said, one about something dumb MS PR said. One has 150+ replies, one has <20 replies. Hmmm

Do you mean the "MS on PS3 launch" thread? That was started like 10 hours after this one. I'd say this one actually has fewer posts per minute :p

X26

Banned
Pope Benedict XVI said:
Do you mean the "MS on PS3 launch" thread? That was started like 10 hours after this one. I'd say this one actually has fewer posts per minute :p

Oi!

bumpkin

At this point, I can't figure out how these threads happen. Here are what I consider the most likely scenarios:

a. Every time someone from Sony says something, we only hear the part that seems like a bash when taken out of context.

b. People here on GAF just love to vilify Sony in general.

c. Sony's execs have officially lost it.

Which seems most likely to you guys? I vote C.

GameGamer

DSN2K said:
yet PS3 comes with

av.jpg
hm-00034389.jpg

576i in a new existence more like.

OUCH!

Now that just stings!

You didn't have to tell it like it is.

Come on!

109-gob-magic3-sm.jpg

GameGamer

Bildi said:
space20balls20darth20vader3gc.gif

This sentence really, REALLY makes my hair hurt. It has been pissing me off all day. What the f*ck is it supposed to mean? IT MAKES NO SENSE.

There is a world that was technologically average two years ago. <- What.

And Sony is not hooked into it. <- What.

So they are hooked into a world that was technologically awesome two years ago. Is that it?

IS IT?

You sir should not pursue a career in the PR arts.

This is what the press like to regurgitate.

You were obviously living in a technologically average world two years ago. I pitty you.

: P

Shinobi

DSN2K said:
yet PS3 comes with

av.jpg
hm-00034389.jpg

576i in a new existence more like.

:lol

bud said:

:lol :lol :lol

I assume the PSP was also positioned as the next-next gen portable, thus explaining why the merely current/next gen DS is cleaning it's clock. Hey, maybe UMD sales will take off in five years too!

As far as this next-next gen spin goes...it's been done. Nintendo's hype with N64 was notourious, yapping about '64 bits', a 'quantum leap', the 'dream team' concept (aka we've got a tenth of the games of the other guys so we'll just say we didn't want 'em anyway), and how '32 bit consoles didn't produce real 3D'. Coupled with a year long delay (sound familiar?), a shortage of games at launch (sound familiar?), and an entrenched competitor that was gaining momentum (sound familiar?), all of Nintendo's talk didn't mean jack shit in the end.

Frankly I've found it astounding just how similiar PS3 has been to N64's early years. There are differences to be sure...N64 was actually affordable, was sold with one of the best killer apps of all time, and wound up being extremely profitable for Yamauchi and co, three things that PS3 can hardly boast about (well profit has yet to be determined, but they're a long way off at the moment). Conversely PS3 had more than eight games in it's first four months. But the pompous, arrogant, self-important air that clung to Nintendo back then has not only been matched by Sony, but frankly exceeded. So much for learning from history.

Well, slight correction...I think Nintendo's finally learnt from it. :lol

Pug said:
Let’s be perfectly honest the best looking 360 games are comparable with the best looking PS3 games certainly in terms of what the general public perceives anyway. And another problem there’s plenty of 360 titles such as Mass Effect which are up there graphically with what’s been mentioned regarding the PS3.

GEARS OF WAR.GIF

Top Bottom