• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony exceeds number of promised PlayStation Plus catalogue games - Eurogamer

ANIMAL1975

Everyone keeps bringing up PSNow was before Game Pass, that's irrelevant. Nobody gave a shit about PSNow. It was extremely unsuccessful. Even though it was first it had only 10% the number of subscribers of Game Pass.
So many wrongs i don't know where to start. People comparing game pass to PSNow are wrong too, the second was streaming only service for years (that i subscribe), that only changed mainly because of game pass _ a download only service that came some years later and made Playstation fans/clients with bad internet access (or any access to PSNow) start asking for the download option.
But first of all, if PSNow was so shit and unsuccessful like you said, don't know why Google and Microsoft followed its steps so many years later with Stadia and Xcloud _ there must be a bunch of morons running those places.

For years now we've had Game Pass threads downplayed, trolled and derailed. We've had to hear how Sony fans have no interest and would never subscribe to a sub like Game Pass and how they would rather own their games than rent them. Now that Sony has revamped it's subs to be somewhat more like Game Pass, all of a sudden subs and renting games is great.

P.S. I'm not referring to you in the above, I know you aren't a troll and haven't been downplaying Game Pass which is why I chose to respond to you rather than any of the trolls. I'm not going to further derail or engage in back and forth with any of the trolls. I'm just giving YOU my opinion and how I view it.
I don't troll game pass threads, im a big ps fan and again also a happy subscriber of Playstation plus (the original subscription service between the two companies and that started all up) since its beginning many years ago. I have hundreds of ps4, ps3 and classics in my plus library (as long as i continue subscribing the service) that i really don't need to buy games anymore for years now.
That being said, lets go to the biggest wrong in your post. Neogaf is a tiny fraction of the gaming community, and even if it was a mirror of it, you would still have people like me who subscribe services since their beginning (when game pass was still in its father nuts), ps fans who truly dislike the concept and haven't changed their mind, ps fans who changed their mind because it's Playstation,... and people just trolling.
Moral of the story, you can not generalize Sony fans like you do in your post, because you only see the troll comments when you are in a xbox thread, open your eyes for the rest of us and for the sake of your mental health.

So many wrongs i don't know where to start. People comparing game pass to PSNow are wrong too, the second was streaming only service for years (that i subscribe), that only changed mainly because of game pass _ a download only service that came some years later and made Playstation fans/clients with bad internet access (or any access to PSNow) start asking for the download option.
But first of all, if PSNow was so shit and unsuccessful like you said, don't know why Google and Microsoft followed its steps so many years later with Stadia and Xcloud _ there must be a bunch of morons running those places.

I don't troll game pass threads, im a big ps fan and again also a happy subscriber of Playstation plus (the original subscription service between the two companies and that started all up) since its beginning many years ago. I have hundreds of ps4, ps3 and classics in my plus library (as long as i continue subscribing the service) that i really don't need to buy games anymore for years now.
That being said, lets go to the biggest wrong in your post. Neogaf is a tiny fraction of the gaming community, and even if it was a mirror of it, you would still have people like me who subscribe services since their beginning (when game pass was still in its father nuts), ps fans who truly dislike the concept and haven't changed their mind, ps fans who changed their mind because it's Playstation,... and people just trolling.
Moral of the story, you can not generalize Sony fans like you do in your post, because you only see the troll comments when you are in a xbox thread, open your eyes for the rest of us and for the sake of your mental health.

Cat Lady was reply-banned for trolling and derailing the thread with silly platform wars BS.

The thread has generally enjoyed mature, healthy and interesting discussions since then. Let's ignore that person's derailing posts and continue with the more worthwhile, on-topic discussion.

Hezekiah

Banned
Cat Lady was reply-banned for trolling and derailing the thread with silly platform wars BS.

The thread has generally enjoyed mature, healthy and interesting discussions since then. Let's ignore that person's derailing posts and continue with the more worthwhile, on-topic discussion.
Yeah really annoying when the same people complaining in some threads about derailing and warring act like hypocrites and do the same elsewhere 👍

This is great news! Thank you for posting it.

No prob; I came across the tweet mentioning it. Would've linked it but I have lots of trouble embedding Twitter posts in comments. Kinda wish it were more straightforward.

This is a well reasoned response that makes some good points, it actually made me pause and think about the story driven content Sony has provided lately. (and backed up with amazing graphics too)

As far as the delay, I mean a 6 or 12 month delay for games like GT7, Horizon, etc. If those start to hit at a regular interval, it's almost as good as day and date in terms of value for most people.
It might cause a new issue for Sony though, a big group of people who won't buy the game when it launces but waits for the pass, which effectively would mean all of the those customers are on a day 1 pass anyhow. (in terms of financials)

Can say that this isn't just a concern for Sony on the sub side, but also on the PC side hence why they are very cautious about doing Day 1 for PC games as well. I think TLOU Remake is a "safe" test for them in that regard; it'll be Day 1 on PS5 and PC, but it's technically a remake of an almost 10-year old game. Remember that Demon's Souls Remake "mistake" graphic from their September 2020 show that said "PC" as well? I think Sony were probably considering trying this strategy way earlier, but maybe 2020 was too soon, so they backed off (I'm just speculating on that one).

Regardless they're going to monitor TLOU Part 1 Remake market performance very carefully; what the split looks like between PS5 and PC, if it turns out PS5 sales are lower than projected, if PS5 system sales come in lower than projected, if any of that can be tied back to stuff like TLOU Remake Day 1 on PC, and what the revenue on the whole is looking like. If there are negative trends that end up reducing projected revenue, then they'll step away from that strategy. If projected revenue increases are hit or exceeded, they'll continue that strategy. If revenue growth is flat, they'll probably drop the strategy considering the extra costs involved for little to no gain.

It's similar with their approach to Day 1 in their own service, for reasons as you mentioned. They have to make sure that 1: The revenue coming from the subscription service is enough to cover potentially multiple $100+ million 1P games' revenue losses from players waiting to access them through the service instead of buying them, and 2: do so in a way where revenue from the sub service isn't simply "absorbing" that lost revenue, but adding on top of it.

For example, say Sony announces Spiderman 2 is coming to PS+ Premium Day 1. Because of that, say they have a drop of 40% of potential sales as a result, for Day 1/first month. The game comes out for $70 and let's say they would've normally done 8 million in the opening month of sales. However, now they're only going to do 4.8 million, that's 3.2 million less units being sold. That's $224 million in lost revenue, that PS+ Premium would have to make up for, in order to justify that action. However, since that strategy is inherently riskier than the traditional strategy, a company like Sony would probably only consider it if the sub service could generate MORE revenue (in terms of covering the portion that are lost sales) than simply skipping Day 1 for the service altogether.

It's just too big a risk to take for a game of that scale; however, for a much smaller game, say if they made a new Tomba! with the production values of Kena or Stray,...I can definitely see them using that as a test for this type of strategy. Start small, see how that goes, then scale up if it's successful. If there's a certain ceiling, stick with it. If it doesn't work, scale back on that approach. It's not only pretty simple in concept, but a great approach towards risk management, too.

Swift_Star

Banned
Yeah really annoying when the same people complaining in some threads about derailing and warring act like hypocrites and do the same elsewhere 👍
I’m not surprised at all, are you? She was hasty to say people were trolling on Starfield threads by saying Bethesda had a bad showing just to proceed and act like this here.
And let’s not forget she was accusing everyone that replied to her to be trolls.
Alanis Morissette Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
psychonauts 2 was crowdfunded :p

True, but the acquisition helped them make the game they wanted to. They were running out of budget and would have either had to cut content, or asked for more crowd funding and thus the game getting delayed another year or so.

"With Psychonauts 2, we could see the end of our budget coming up, and so we had cut a lot of stuff [...] We had cut our boss fights. Now we are able to put those back in, and we're like 'we think people would have noticed if we didn't have those boss fights'. Being able to complete the game in the way that it was meant to be was very important."

Hestar69

ps+ lvl 2 is great....the ps+++ level sucks because ps3 games are only streamable and run awful/input delay....

we need sackboy and Gt7 on on ps++ aswell

Lupin25

No prob; I came across the tweet mentioning it. Would've linked it but I have lots of trouble embedding Twitter posts in comments. Kinda wish it were more straightforward.

Can say that this isn't just a concern for Sony on the sub side, but also on the PC side hence why they are very cautious about doing Day 1 for PC games as well. I think TLOU Remake is a "safe" test for them in that regard; it'll be Day 1 on PS5 and PC, but it's technically a remake of an almost 10-year old game. Remember that Demon's Souls Remake "mistake" graphic from their September 2020 show that said "PC" as well? I think Sony were probably considering trying this strategy way earlier, but maybe 2020 was too soon, so they backed off (I'm just speculating on that one).

Regardless they're going to monitor TLOU Part 1 Remake market performance very carefully; what the split looks like between PS5 and PC, if it turns out PS5 sales are lower than projected, if PS5 system sales come in lower than projected, if any of that can be tied back to stuff like TLOU Remake Day 1 on PC, and what the revenue on the whole is looking like. If there are negative trends that end up reducing projected revenue, then they'll step away from that strategy. If projected revenue increases are hit or exceeded, they'll continue that strategy. If revenue growth is flat, they'll probably drop the strategy considering the extra costs involved for little to no gain.

It's similar with their approach to Day 1 in their own service, for reasons as you mentioned. They have to make sure that 1: The revenue coming from the subscription service is enough to cover potentially multiple $100+ million 1P games' revenue losses from players waiting to access them through the service instead of buying them, and 2: do so in a way where revenue from the sub service isn't simply "absorbing" that lost revenue, but adding on top of it.

For example, say Sony announces Spiderman 2 is coming to PS+ Premium Day 1. Because of that, say they have a drop of 40% of potential sales as a result, for Day 1/first month. The game comes out for $70 and let's say they would've normally done 8 million in the opening month of sales. However, now they're only going to do 4.8 million, that's 3.2 million less units being sold. That's $224 million in lost revenue, that PS+ Premium would have to make up for, in order to justify that action. However, since that strategy is inherently riskier than the traditional strategy, a company like Sony would probably only consider it if the sub service could generate MORE revenue (in terms of covering the portion that are lost sales) than simply skipping Day 1 for the service altogether.

It's just too big a risk to take for a game of that scale; however, for a much smaller game, say if they made a new Tomba! with the production values of Kena or Stray,...I can definitely see them using that as a test for this type of strategy. Start small, see how that goes, then scale up if it's successful. If there's a certain ceiling, stick with it. If it doesn't work, scale back on that approach. It's not only pretty simple in concept, but a great approach towards risk management, too.

And Stray will be 1st AA game you’re referring to since the reboot to test the waters on day one. 👌🏽

Kagey K

Banned
Some funky math going on with those numbers, but I'll let it slide.

The more people that see gaming is prohibitively expensive only because companies make it so is great to me.

"Free*" games for everyone.

Movies and music did it years ago. It's about time gaming caught up.

When people are working to just be poor, instead of destitute, companies need to be working for that entertainment dollar, instead of assuming it will always be there for them.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I just upgraded to Premium and the game library is pretty darn surprisingly high quality.

A surprising number of PS5 games I was gonna buy, e.g. Demons Souls, but now just come with the sub.

It's a very strong value proposition, imho. And the service doesn't even need Sony's FP games on it day one.

Games like Returnal, I was always on the fence about buying, I can play as part of the sub. That's gotta be great for increasing the visibility of less mainstream games and game genres.
If you don't want to get addicted, don't play Returnal...This is like crack.
dave chappelle tyrone biggums GIF

Crayon

The PS3 selection is solid. If the can figure out how to wrap them like ms does, they can do a few at a time and it would eventually be really good. I don't think they have to do all of them. Certainly not all at once.

Fox Mulder

I just want the Sly Cooper collection I was playing back. It’s stupid they removed games they own and were on PS Now for years to trickle them in later.

Alphagear

Hi guys,

My first time playing a streamed game for the PS3. Do all games run at lower framerates while streaming?

Playing God of War Ascension for the first time and it feels like sub 30fps.

No issues with my internet. Have a decent connection.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I have Premium because of a Now voucher I activated earlier but I don't care for PS3 streaming. Its mainly because I can't play the likes of Infamous 2 for too long and I wished it was simply downloadable and enhanced like X-enhanced classics.

Extra is a very good deal though. You can play Returnal, MM, Death Stranding DE etc. I guess PS1/2/PSP classics are cool but the odd game you want you could perhaps buy.

Black_Wolf

Neo Member
The one thing that I am not a fan of is being locked out of games that I already own digitally, unless I subscribe to a higher tier of PS Plus.

For example, I had purchased Resident Evil Director's Cut, Tekken 2 and Wild Arms last year via the PS3 console store - I own digital copies of them all. When the new PS Plus rolled out, I was able to download Wild Arms. However, whenever I tried to download RE: Director's Cut or Tekken 2, I was instead prompted to upgrade my PS Plus subscription to the highest tier (I currently only have the lowest/basic PS Plus tier), even though I owned both of those games already.

I find it strange that I am being locked out of games that I bought/own and are actually playable natively on the console (and do not require PS Now streaming). What's even stranger is that, based on some posts I saw on Reddit, this seems to be more of a North America regional issue. Posters from other regions reported that they were able to download and play those games, even without having the highest level of PS Plus.

Is this a North America region glitch? Just wondering, since other regions didn't seem to be having this issue.

Lognor

Banned
It might be high quality, but I don't think it had the budget of AAA games.
Pretty sure it's AAA. It was not inexpensive to develop. And from googling it, it seems that it is generally accepted as AAA.

Psychonauts 2 is not. It's probably high tier AA.

Skifi28

I thought I'd give it a try for the heck of it, feels more like a beta.

*game sorting is terrible, you can easily miss half the catalogue unless you know where to look.

*some games don't work as expected. For example, Project cars 2 & 3 only give you the option to buy them. Observer has the ps4/5 icon but once inside there's only the option to stream it... No thanks.

*it feels rushed and certain decisions like they were done by AI. Even tough there is a ps4 version, for some games you only have the PS3 version available. Why?

*streaming didn't work for like 6 hours yesterday. Didn't check if it was fixed today.

*A ton of important PS3 games are missing. I can understand licencing agreements with third parties, but what's the excuse for 1st party stuff?

Summary: I can easily imagine Jim yelling at the phone: "I don't care how or what games, just bring me 800 of them".

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Here it's 366 games total for the Extra and Deluxe tier. So it is far off from that 700 number.

For the Extra tier PS4/PS5 it is at at 289. Still not close to 400.

The collection can only improve is the hope.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I, personally, think it's one of the most AAA games of the last few years, you don't get top tier production like this on a low budget.

Ah yes, the game no console gamers play, just talk about in the great war. And yes, it is a pretty game with some nice tech behind it.

Live look in at 90% of the Xbox gamers here:

"Lemme boot this badboy up, so excite!"

Home Cooking Teamenvy GIF by Envy

yos234j0c.gif

For the record, I fucks with this on the PC.

T-Cake

Eurogamer flagged up some titles that have expiration dates -

• Shadow Warrior 3 - 5th July 2022
  • Syberia (PS3) - 19th July 2022
  • NBA 2K22 - 31st August 2022
  • WRC 10 - 31st August 2022
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 - 20th September 2022
  • Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - 17th October 2022
  • Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare (PS3) - 17th October 2022
Interesting that PS3 games are leaving, this could be how the PS3 servers are killed off - by slowly removing titles from PS+ Premium until there are nothing but PS4 and PS5 games. Might take til the end of the decade to do it with more PS4/5 games taking their place.

Bojji

ps+ lvl 2 is great....the ps+++ level sucks because ps3 games are only streamable and run awful/input delay....

we need sackboy and Gt7 on on ps++ aswell

Actually I'm surprised how well streaming works. In Poland wr never had ps now and streaming launched just now, tried Ratchet (crack in time) and God of war ascension and both titles play quite well, input delay was surprisingly low. Image quality sucked a bit but those games were 720p.

I have 1Gb/s connection (console is connected with wire) so maybe that's it....

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 - 20th September 2022

Fuckin R* did that on game pass as well, RDR 2 only came there for 3~ months give or take if I recall.

Every other game is at least a year but R* only does 3~6 month deals at most.

Last edited:

Crayon

Hi guys,

My first time playing a streamed game for the PS3. Do all games run at lower framerates while streaming?

Playing God of War Ascension for the first time and it feels like sub 30fps.

No issues with my internet. Have a decent connection.

Maybe if the stream isn't lining up with the games framerate, idk. But I can tell you a lot of games from then could barely hold 30fps and it was considered normal.

And Stray will be 1st AA game you’re referring to since the reboot to test the waters on day one. 👌🏽

Yeah, it seems it will be. Hope it does well; I know I'll be playing it through the sub once the time comes.

Hopefully the numbers between that and digital sales are good enough to convince Sony to try leveraging PS+ Extra & Premium for more AA-style sequels/reboots of vaulted IPs (alongside still providing for sale digitally like normal; whether that's Day 1 or a time after going into PS+ Extra/Premium could depend on the game).

Some funky math going on with those numbers, but I'll let it slide.

The more people that see gaming is prohibitively expensive only because companies make it so is great to me.

"Free*" games for everyone.

Movies and music did it years ago. It's about time gaming caught up.

When people are working to just be poor, instead of destitute, companies need to be working for that entertainment dollar, instead of assuming it will always be there for them.

You can't directly compare the gaming model with movies or music, though. Producing a song, or even an album, even a major album, is MUCH cheaper than producing a AAA game. The budgets of those two aren't even comparable.

Gaming has ALWAYS been an expensive hobby compared to, say, buying the latest comics, or even going to the movies. And there's nothing inherently wrong with that; it doesn't mean gaming is discriminating against people who can't afford the latest and greatest, it's just that those with less disposable income need to be more considerate in what specific games or systems they actually buy, and when.

The way I see it, if you REALLY care about something as a hobby, you're willing to spend the money in order to engage with it. Thankfully, gaming is one of those hobbies where you can have a lot of other people to engage with even on older games or just a single game or two that you dedicate yourself towards; it doesn't quite have the recency bias of being a fan of pop music, for example, or a shoe collector, where in both of those cases you're expected to be up-to-date on the latest at all times or you fall out of the know very quickly.

Someone who's just buying a PS4 or 3DS today and catching up on a suite of classic games on either is as much a gamer as someone buying most of the big releases Day 1 this year, IMO. Yes, the actual companies would value the latter more than the former (because the latter is benefiting them financially), but just talking as a gamer, if the person's intent is genuine and honest, then both types have a lot of weight. Equal, but unique/different weight, of course. And they're both still gaming; they're just doing it within their personal budget means.

Game companies across the board offering products that cost hundreds of millions of dollars for dirt cheap to customers who are suffering due to a trash economy, isn't going to work out well for either camp in the long run. Labor and resources have a cost attached to them, and we measure that cost in money, that's the reality of how economies work. Not every company can afford to give away its most expensive productions for "free", and that shouldn't be used against them in order to determine if they should be allowed to compete in the market. It's not necessarily their faults the economy is failing; blame the banks and speculator markets for that.

Yeah I was about to upgrade to Extra mostly for this game, then it was either $30 for Extra or $45 for Premium. Then felt like Sony talking to me.

giphy.gif

Well...

money-counting.gif

No fucks given to PS3-2-1 games.

Listen to tommib tommib , you'll learn to love those outdated early 3D games eventually.

They should put Tomba! On the sub already.

Better yet, make a Tomba! 3. It needs more love; easily my favorite PS1 platformer series.

I, personally, think it's one of the most AAA games of the last few years, you don't get top tier production like this on a low budget.

Hmmm....I think it gets tricky with Flight Sim because while it wasn't cheap to make, I agree with other people saying it wasn't some crazy-expensive production, either. It would be pretty hard to be such a thing in it's case, due to the genre.

If we're just going by visuals, Hellblade had some amazing graphics comparable to AAA games in its day, too, but was more of a AA effort. I think that's where Flight Sim lands; a higher-tier AA game with visual fidelity of a AAA game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom