• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Faces Heat From Game Publishers to Cut PS3 Price

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamesj

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Is there a theory as to why 360 sales would collapse before PS3 sales?

just another "wait for ----" item. Wait for the price drop.

someone else can write up the complete list of things that PS3 fanboys have waited for to beat the 360 and that haven't panned out. I couldn't care less about the actual sales but the drama is absolutely delicious (when you're bored, at work, and can't do anything else.)

Dabanton

beermonkey@tehbias said:

It's the wishful thinking theory.

Unlike the first Xbox i can see MS still supporting the 360 when it's successor comes out.

Pachael said:
Only thing I can think of is a surprise 720 launch in June.

Well, that would never happen, especially in this economy.

Even if the nextbox launched, I wouldn't see 360 sales collapsing. Did PS2 sales collapse when PS3 shipped?

MS deliberately killed Xbox when the 360 launched because the Xbox was a money-loser throughout its entire life. When the new system launches, MS will actually keep pushing the 360 because it will be making money.

I know I won't be getting a PS3 any time soon, even with a price drop.

- Too many games on PC to play
- Too many games on 360 to play
- Too many games on Wii to play
- PS3 probably won't be getting BC again for a long time
- I have friends with PS3s so I don't really feel compelled to get a system I can borrow easily when the occasional exclusive comes out that I want to try

spwolf

herod said:
Agreed. PS3 just does not have the strength in depth that the PS2 had. Hard to see how it will get it either, because imo it seems like the DS has taken all the smaller, riskier more interesting titles due to lower cost of entry barriers and much larger market to reduce risk.

One thing is for certain: PS3 is no PS2, and imo it never will be. It doesn't have much reason to exist after PS4 is out.

lol... Actually, PS3 has a lot more staying power than PS2... Weather that means anything depends on Sony (and their price policy)... But PS3 has built fondation that PS4 will simply build on. From built in hard drive, to PSN, to Blu-Ray to cell things that PS2 did not have (especially PSN).

There is nothing else ground breaking that can be added to PS4 to make it leap over PS3... nothing except better graphics that seemingly people dont care about anyway. Or some new controller that can always be added to PS3.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Dabanton said:
It's the wishful thinking theory.

Unlike the first Xbox i can see MS still supporting the 360 when it's successor comes out.

I think the 360 and its successor will have numerous links. For example, your Live points, gamertag, and Live profile will probably carry over. Your Marketplace purchases will hopefully carry over. Same with the PS3. I think the next transition will be much smoother and feel like less of a reset and more of a natural PC-like upgrade.

billy.sea

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:

Just the unfair amount of faith the media has towards the PS3.
The PS3 has been given so much love by the media since its release for no particular reason, luckily the audience are not stupid enough to buy into it.

To be honest, if it wasn't the 360, I think the PS3 would be in even worst situation right now. It is the sale of 360 3rd party games that give the developers reason to port it to the PS3.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Mamesj said:
just another "wait for ----" item. Wait for the price drop.

someone else can write up the complete list of things that PS3 fanboys have waited for to beat the 360 and that haven't panned out. I couldn't care less about the actual sales but the drama is absolutely delicious (when you're bored, at work, and can't do anything else.)

Past Failures;

E3 (every year)
TGS (every year)
Liepzig (every year)
GDC (every year)
Assassins Creed (later rescinded due to not being exclusive as originally portrayed)
DMC4 (ditto)
Tekken 6 (ditto)
FFXIII (ditto)
Monster Hunter 3 (whoops)
GT5P
MGS4
Haze
Home
Resistance 2/Motorstorm 2 double-header
Little Big Planet

---------------------------

New Hopes;

Killzone 2 (NPD is going to be epic)
Price Drop
Microsoft pull-out of gaming industry
Wii fad ends

spwolf

timetokill said:
I know I won't be getting a PS3 any time soon, even with a price drop.

- Too many games on PC to play
- Too many games on 360 to play
- PS3 probably won't be getting BC again for a long time
- I have friends with PS3s so I don't really feel compelled to get a system I can borrow easily when the occasional exclusive comes out that I want to try

and? same can be said of anything.. heck why would you buy any consoles when there are hundreds of cool PC games to play? Or why would you mess with PC, 360 or Wii, when there are ton of PS3 games and even more BD movies to watch?

spwolf

Burai said:
Past Failures;

E3 (every year)
TGS (every year)
Liepzig (every year)
GDC (every year)
Assassins Creed (later rescinded due to not being exclusive as originally portrayed)
DMC4 (ditto)
Tekken 6 (ditto)
FFXIII (ditto)
GT5P
MGS4
Haze
Home
Little Big Planet

New Hopes;

Price Drop
Wii fad ends

look at all those failures... :lol

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
beermonkey@tehbias said:

About time you got here. All your friends are here.

Looks at Burai's post.

Wow so now this topic is a pissing contest.

billy.sea

Banned
spwolf said:
lol... Actually, PS3 has a lot more staying power than PS2... Weather that means anything depends on Sony (and their price policy)... But PS3 has built fondation that PS4 will simply build on. From built in hard drive, to PSN, to Blu-Ray to cell things that PS2 did not have (especially PSN).

There is nothing else ground breaking that can be added to PS4 to make it leap over PS3... nothing except better graphics that seemingly people dont care about anyway. Or some new controller that can always be added to PS3.

Such ignorant. Back in the days, who would have thought the systems today would harddrive, motion sensing, downloadable games, HOME and Mii and Avatar etc? Just because you can't imagine what will be in the future doesn't mean the technology will stop progressing.

PS2 KID

Considering they are still losing money on the hardware, I don't see a price drop coming.

That doesn't mean I don't foresee Sony not taking any action. Most likely, we'll get another bundle at the 399 price point (they'll throw in a game, a movie, and some psn goods) and an even larger hard drive at the 499 price point (500 for 500gigs promotion with a game included and preloaded).

PS3 slim is probably not coming until they have the new 45nm chips and that's most likely summer to late summer before they can begin production. Only then, will we realistically see a price drop.

Then again Stringer won the power struggle so maybe we'll get an April 1st surprise? Doubt it.

CHRP718

Banned
Burai said:
Past Failures;

E3 (every year)
TGS (every year)
Liepzig (every year)
GDC (every year)
DMC4 (ditto)
Tekken 6 (ditto)
FFXIII (ditto)
GT5P
MGS4
Haze
Home
Little Big Planet

New Hopes;

Price Drop
Wii fad ends
:lol :lol :lol
2a0j3u0.gif

neojubei

Jive Turkey said:
You forgot a few:

Uncharted
Lair (lol)
Heavenly Sword
Warhawk
White Knight Story

Yep. 'Cause Home sold a shit load of PS3s.

I hope this is sarcasm.

IF this topic isn't about the price drop for the PS3 but now a pissing contest about what consoles sells more I would say neither the PS3 or xbox 360 will reach 100 million sold, probably only the Wii would ever reach that.

Kagari said:

:lol Where is Threi?

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Kagari said:
Did these games provide a significant bump in PS3 sales?

I'm not saying the games themselves didn't sell well I'm saying they didn't really move PS3s...Which is the whole point of the Sony fanboy's rally cry of "Wait until_______".

herod

spwolf said:

None of those things are reasons for a developer to pick the PS3 over the other two systems at the tail-end of its life.

The long tail for a system is 100% about install base and attach rate. PS3 loses on both counts. Blu-ray isn't an exclusive feature either, it's self-defeating. Either Blu-ray becomes popular, which means companies with much lower costs can make players much cheaper than the PS3, or it dies, in which case it won't mean anything for the console in the long term.

Sony will cut their prices, it would be silly to announce, "hey we are cutting prices in the next two months so please wait." Sony wants a continuous stream of sales, why would they undercut themselves?

Vinci

Danish
spwolf said:
and? same can be said of anything.. heck why would you buy any consoles when there are hundreds of cool PC games to play?

Because, as opposed to the bulk of gamers seemingly on GAF, I liked the differences between PC gaming and console gaming that existed before (and still, to a lesser extent). Each offered experiences unique to them: When I wanted something light, I played a console; when I wanted something more competitive and in-depth, I went to my PC. It was like a division of labor, in which each specialization allowed that format to evolve more rapidly - whereas now PC games are being held back by the PS360 combination.

That separation between the two is getting narrower and narrower, and honestly I don't feel it's to either side's benefit. Might also explain why I'm currently a PC/Wii/DS gamer, whereas in all prior generations I've owned every console.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jive Turkey said:
Did these games provide a significant bump in PS3 sales?

I'm not saying the games themselves didn't sell well I'm saying they didn't really move PS3s...Which is the whole point of the Sony fanboy's rally cry of "Wait until_______".

Some Nintendo fans are doing it in the MC threads, which I find hilarious...and a little sad at the state of console gaming there, considering there is no PC to back it up. Just handhelds.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Tideas said:
err you're reading it wrong. It's saying the Ps3 has been outselling the 360 if you match up their launch date (i.e., time period after launch).

It's saying after 27 months from Launch, the PS3 has sold 18 million while when the 360 was 27 months from launch, ito nly sold 15 million.
Yaweee said:
Wow. Not only did you miss the title of the chart, but I think you might be red-green color blind, as well.
Reading comprehension. You fail it.

Here's what Son of Godzilla was talking about:
916cabb78b2702872ad8be1892407cb63c11b048.png

Over the lifetime of the PS3, the 360 has outsold it which is a point that'd been made earlier (the 360 had a 5M lead at the PS3's launch, it now has a lead of 7M, the PS3 isn't catching up it's falling further behind)

Skenzin

Banned
Good article.

I for one can't believe they haven't hit a $299 SKU yet. I want a PS3 it just seems $399 is a lot of money for a 3 year old system with a shaky future. But for some reason $299 seems ok. It's a weird mental barrier but $399 seems so much more expensive than $299.

A price drop is needed, but how long can Sony keep bleeding $$$ in exchange for market share? Retailers seem to be getting desperate to move PS3's, in the US anyway. I see all kinds of offers and store-specific incentives.

neojubei

Speevy said:
Either one reaching 50 would surprise me.

True. Xbox 360 is at around 27 million sold, PS3 is at around 21 million sold, they both wont even touch 50 million by the time the next gen consoles come out. There is about a 6-7 million gap between the two consoles so it isn't a significant gap like xbox and ps2 so publishers will still bring games to both consoles.

Vinci

Danish
neojubei said:
IF this topic isn't about the price drop for the PS3 but now a pissing contest about what consoles sells more I would say neither the PS3 or xbox 360 will reach 100 million sold, probably only the Wii would ever reach that.

The reason people are so keenly interested in how well consoles sell, particularly Nintendo fans, is that after bearing witness to the fall of Sega you get a bit more concerned about the future of the company that (as far as you're concerned) is kicking ass every which way but upward.

Prior to Sega going 3rd party, most of us didn't give a rat's ass how consoles sold.

Vinci said:
I liked the differences between PC gaming and console gaming that existed before (and still, to a lesser extent)

I'm actually loving this unification of PC and console games this gen. My PC plays all its usual RTS and FPS and PC styled games, but it can also play the major 3rd party console games and they're usually the best version of the 3 platforms (albeit released slightly later and cheaper) e.g. Devil May Cry 4, Resi 5, Burnout.

Why do I need to pickup a 360 or PS3 now when I can play most of their best games already?

derder

Does anyone actually know someone holding off getting a console? I can't think of a single person who doesn't already have atleast one wii/360/ps3, that would actually buy one. Where on earth are these people?

HK-47 said:
Some Nintendo fans are doing it in the MC threads, which I find hilarious...and a little sad at the state of console gaming there, considering there is no PC to back it up. Just handhelds.
Don't worry too much about the handheld-only folk, they're not lacking games by any stretch of the imagination.

Vinci

Danish
wackojackosnose said:
I'm actually loving this unification of PC and console games this gen. My PC plays all its usual RTS and FPS and PC styled games, but it can also play the major 3rd party console games and they're usually the best version of the 3 platforms (albeit released slightly later and cheaper) e.g. Devil May Cry 4, Resi 5, Burnout.

Why do I need to pickup a 360 or PS3 now when I can play most of their best games already?

It's fine if that works for you. I just find little value - particularly at the PS3's current price point - in going with the HD systems due to this massive shift towards PC style gaming. It seems unnecessary to me to offer the same thing when a PC is, you know, practically a requirement in the average home and a console isn't.

I'm fine if that's what they want to do - it just doesn't incentivize either greatly to me, particularly at the asking price. *shrugs*

Dabanton

derder said:
Does anyone actually know someone holding off getting a console? I can't think of a single person who doesn't already have atleast one wii/360/ps3, that would actually buy one. Where on earth are these people?

Nope. Most people i know have brought one of the new consoles.

Only weirdos are "still waiting".

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
timetokill said:

i see two possibilities here

either you've misused the words 'too,' 'many,' 'games,' and 'play,' and for all i know the prepositions as well

or you meant to type something besides 'wii'

Vinci

Danish
drohne said:

either you've misused the words 'too,' 'many,' 'games,' and 'play,' and for all i know the prepositions as well

:lol I love you, drohne.

Vinci said:
It seems unnecessary to me to offer the same thing when a PC is, you know, practically a requirement in the average home and a console isn't.

Yep.

PC gaming has killed my current interest in the 360 and PS3. Sure I'll definately pickup a PS3 as a bluray player at some point, but as a games machine there really is currently no need for me to do so outside of MGS4, Uncharted, Yakuza and Valkyria Chronicles.

drohne said:

LOL TOO FUNNY

Third possibility:

I actually enjoy games like Madworld and House of the Dead: Overkill, am looking forward to Excitebots in a few weeks, and am catching up on games I missed like MLB Power Pros 2008.

drohne said:

Maybe he meant that he was, like, going to sit *on* the Wii and play some games on something else? I'm just trying to make sense of it here myself.

Vinci

Danish
wackojackosnose said:
PC gaming has killed my current interest in the 360 and PS3. Sure I'll definately pickup a PS3 as a bluray player at some point, but as a games machine there really is currently no need for me to do so outside of MGS4, Uncharted, Yakuza and Valkyria Chronicles.

Oh, I'm still planning on picking up a PS3 once it hits - really hits - $250. 'Cause that's what I'm willing to pay for a console experience, which is really what I'd be getting from the system. Games like Flower and Little Big Planet individually, for example, interest me 100x what MGS4 or KZ2 do combined.

JudgeN

wackojackosnose said:
Yep.

PC gaming still has a very long way to go before you can say this though. When we get PC version of all Altus games or SE games then we can celebrate the end of consoles gaming but for now there is still plenty of reason to get a console even if you own a gaming PC. Besides waiting 6 months to a year for ports sucks :D

Vinci

Danish
JudgeN said:
PC gaming still has a very long way to go before you can say this though. When we get PC version of all Altus games or SE games then we can celebrate the end of consoles gaming but for now there is still plenty of reason to get a console even if you own a gaming PC. Besides waiting 6 months to a year for ports sucks :D

I have a DS. All the games Atlus and SE produce that I care about are on it or are coming to it. The point isn't that these consoles are 100% mitigated by their closer proximity to PC gaming - it's just that their price points were (and are, in the PS3's case) too high based on the amount of value that isn't mitigated by it. I'm interested in what seems to amount to about 20% of what the PS3 currently offers - the other 80% of its features and content would be lost entirely on me, so $400 (let alone $599) is out of the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom