• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: " Fantastic 'Must See' Vidro on Man's Sky video tomorrow.'

Dude that presenstation at E3 was overhyped

The creator needed to be holding a DS4 playing it, whats the big deal that they couldnt do that?, game seems simple as hell to demo on stage.

All this dreams of galaxy flying means nothing if the gameplay aint fun, what does this game offer a challenge to a gamer?. What are the tasks you do, what are the battles fights like?

Until the shy creator delivers that this game is just overhyped wishful dreams development that doest actually live up to the ambitions like Spore.

I dont think its like ubisoft but if can do that why was he on stage doing nothing?, what did he add to the presentation of it all? Nothing.
The fact that you keep bringing up his shyness as some sort of detraction and that you can't appreciate just being a leaf on the wind means I'm disappointed in you as a person. Opinions are one thing. Wrong opinions and attempts at mocking another individual for being shy are another.

Ape

Banned
Can you stop embarrassing me in public Ape-san? We can continue it in PM if you need someone to talk to.

So, yeah.. No Man's Sky...

This has obviously spiraled into something that I could make a lot worse. Let's not? You're okay in my book, Ben.

Kane_Daniel_Bryan_WWEHug.gif

It feels like everyone is setting themselves up for disappointment with NMS. You dont even really know how it plays yet, calm the hype - its done by a small indie team, it wont reach all the expectations.

Lol every time someone gets hyped for a game, are they setting themselves up for disappointment?

I'm sure everyone appreciates you looking out for them, but the game looks great. You dont know how the game plays either, it could be just as awesome as it could be disappointing.

Let us be hyped.

Sony really got lucky getting this game on PS4, especially now that it sounds like they will get an exclusive release window over the other consoles and even PC (devs said PC version may come later due to time).

Live gameplay is a tough animal, I imagine more so for a small studio like Hello Games. Given the nature of the game a live demo could be very boring for a stage because majority of the game is likely exploration and everything being randomly generated moments like the one in that trailer can happen but you may play for an hour before seeing something like that. Theoretically speaking of couse. Also I don't think they could script this game even if they wanted to do so.

Well they sort of can. The E3 video is 100% gameplay, but they are able to tweak the values to make all of it happen exactly how they want it to. So it's sort of scripted as in they have full access to the math to make it happen how they want it to happen, but at the same time it is all actual procedurally generated events in gameplay. It's pretty crazy actually.

Wow, thanks for this OP, don't know how I've missed it. The video's got a lot of old stuff in it but Sean Murray does word some stuff in more detail.

What I've gathered from the video that perhaps wasn't known before:
- There will be military and police ships (there was mention of fleets and pirates before but this hints at there being actual factions and some laws, similar to other space sims like Elite)
- He mentions different races (alongside the fleets and police, maybe we'll actually have a galaxy populated by different interactable races, factions?)
- You are always in danger (this was hinted at before but I think it further proves the game has rougelike elements and pushes you to try and survive, alongside exploration and your trek to the center of the galaxy)
- Most people will take the journey to the center, you'll want to do that (definitely sounds like the main goal but he mentions you will have to plan, prepare and cooperate to an extent and be quite clever to reach the center so alongside the lore, there's the challenging main goal)
- There's a game beyond that (this sounds like some sort of meta-game, maybe clearing the galaxy of the malevolent presence, charting all planets or some other collective element that involves all players working towards a common goal)

Honestly, I'm expecting a much simpler game but it might turn out that there will be somewhat more content than I'd had anticipated.

I think the reason people are excited about this game is that it shows a large number of gameplay elements all tightly knit into a nice, fun package, which has never been done before. All of the individual elements have been done at least 20 years before but no game has ever attempted to make an accessible, easy to play procedural universe with seamless planet landing, endless exploration and fun action in modern, full 3D. Almost all of those games have had numerous flaws, bugs, were notoriously difficult to play or had other glaring faults. On top of that, Hello Games' sources of inspiration are science fiction books (and their book covers) that hold a different spirit of sci-fi, that talk about the nature of the universe, humanity's place in it, of a romantic view of the future where there's danger but also hope and change, which is almost completely lacking in today's portrayal of sci-fi in all media.

For example, Bungie has mentioned several times that one of the larger sources of inspiration for Destiny is Arthur C. Clarke's novel Childhood's End. If you have ever read the novel you'd know that Destiny has almost nothing in common with it, not even in spirit. It might have a general premise taken from it (alien species watches over mankind with large floating ships over cities etc.) or even some deeper themes but in all things that matter, it's sorely lacking, which breaks my heart honestly.

No Man's Sky promises (and in a large part shows) exactly what I have been expecting and wanting from a space sim for the last 15 years, alongside Elite: Dangerous, Star Citizen and at least a dozen upcoming space sims. NMS may not be the Ur Example or the Trope Maker but it has potential to be the Trope Codifier, in other words, the Doom of procedural space exploration sims. Even if Hello Games don't deliver, I can't describe how excited I am that someone is finally attempting to make this game.

The thought of people actually thinking this could be Sony's Ryse makes me laugh.

It might be Ryse but it's multiplatform you fools.

Joke Illa calls the Order:1886 'Sony's Ryse', not No Man's Sky. He calls NMS 'overblown indie game made by a shyguy'.

I think he's some kind of shit meme generator rather than an actual brain in a skull.

Wow, thanks for this OP, don't know how I've missed it. The video's got a lot of old stuff in it but Sean Murray does word some stuff in more detail.

- There will be military and police ships (there was mention of fleets and pirates before but this hints at there being actual factions and some laws, similar to other space sims like Elite)
- He mentions different races (alongside the fleets and police, maybe we'll actually have a galaxy populated by different interactable races, factions?)
- You are always in danger (this was hinted at before but I think it further proves the game has rougelike elements and pushes you to try and survive, alongside exploration and your trek to the center of the galaxy)
- Most people will take the journey to the center, you'll want to do that (definitely sounds like the main goal but he mentions you will have to plan, prepare and cooperate to an extent and be quite clever to reach the center so alongside the lore, there's the challenging main goal)
- There's a game beyond that (this sounds like some sort of meta-game, maybe clearing the galaxy of the malevolent presence, charting all planets or some other collective element that involves all players working towards a common goal)

Honestly, I'm expecting a much simpler game but it might turn out that there will be somewhat more content than I'd had anticipated.

I think the reason people are excited about this game is that it shows a large number of gameplay elements all tightly knit into a nice, fun package, which has never been done before. All of the individual elements have been done at least 20 years before but no game has ever attempted to make an accessible, easy to play procedural universe with seamless planet landing, endless exploration and fun action in modern, full 3D. Almost all of those games have had numerous flaws, bugs, were notoriously difficult to play or had other glaring faults. On top of that, Hello Games' sources of inspiration are science fiction books (and their book covers) that hold a different spirit of sci-fi, that talk about the nature of the universe, humanity's place in it, of a romantic view of the future where there's danger but also hope and change, which is almost completely lacking in today's portrayal of sci-fi in all media.

For example, Bungie has mentioned several times that one of the larger sources of inspiration for Destiny is Arthur C. Clarke's novel Childhood's End. If you have ever read the novel you'd know that Destiny has almost nothing in common with it, not even in spirit. It might have a general premise taken from it (alien species watches over mankind with large floating ships over cities etc.) or even some deeper themes but in all things that matter, it's sorely lacking, which breaks my heart honestly.

No Man's Sky promises (and in a large part shows) exactly what I have been expecting and wanting from a space sim for the last 15 years, alongside Elite: Dangerous, Star Citizen and at least a dozen upcoming space sims. NMS may not be the Ur Example or the Trope Maker but it has potential to be the Trope Codifier, in other words, the Doom of procedural space exploration sims. Even if Hello Games don't deliver, I can't describe how excited I am that someone is finally attempting to make this game.

Well said. The more I see/hear about this game, the more I get excited for it. And I'm not into space sims at all, I just love new and unique concepts. Can't wait [for it on PC].

Now it's final gameplay. We haven't seen final gameplay of a game that hasn't hit final release.

I also never saw the creator of The Last of Us play it with a DS4. Check mate! Game is done.

Sony's Ryse and now insurmountable pressure in the sky. Two bad games in a row! It's over.

I'm not even sure what the hell that's suppose to mean. Ryse is fucking awesome. Damn good game.

I don't understand why people say we haven't seen gameplay.

http://youtu.be/nLtmEjqzg7M

That is three minutes of unedited gameplay. Do people think that is a prerendered trailer? Because it's not.

The question that I have is is this a massive online multiplayer game or is this a single player experience? Or is it some type of hybrid like the souls series?

I could see the exploration element with imperial conquest of worlds for resource acquisition and growth of your fleet/faction being the initial thrust or goal of the game. Growing out of that, different factions warring over the conquests and resources would be the inevitable outcome of that initial thrust/goal. I can see a sandbox world with this set up working nicely in a social/multiplayer setting. It plays off of human's desire for acquiring power and wealth/resources.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I still don't understand if this is SP only or it has MP. Can someone enlighten me on this?

It's a SP game, but things you do will affect other players. So it's a shared universe, but you don't directly interact with other players. At least that's how I've understood it.

Despera

Banned
Y'know, I hope there are some water based planets with no land. I'd love to be able to fly that ship into the ocean and explore its depths using a little spotlight.

Would be incredibly tense.
A spaceship that doubles as a submarine would be fantastic for this game.

EGM1966

I'm with you. Everything they seem to be trying is what I've wanted since Elite: Frontier flubbed it. Everything I've seen I think looks great.

At this point I'd be happy with a heroic failure - but hopefully they can deliver on the promise.

The question that I have is is this a massive online multiplayer game or is this a single player experience? Or is it some type of hybrid like the souls series?

I could see the exploration element with imperial conquest of worlds for resource acquisition and growth of your fleet/faction being the initial thrust or goal of the game. Growing out of that, different factions warring over the conquests and resources would be the inevitable outcome of that initial thrust/goal. I can see a sandbox world with this set up working nicely in a social/multiplayer setting. It plays off of human's desire for acquiring power and wealth/resources.

It's been said it definitely isn't a MMO but closer to the MP experience in Souls/Journey.

This game looks absolutely amazing. Can't wait to play it on my PS4. Day 1.

2mfk5m.gif

3pcj4l.gif

4l0jcf.gif

5gfknm.gif

6hajt1.gif

7ehjf4.gif

8utkap.gif

9mkks6.gif

10irjki.gif

1110j1a.gif

12ndjxs.gif

13s6j2w.gif

The potential for this game is really sky high (no pun intended) if it's a more substantial package than just something that has beautiful looking worlds. The worlds themselves, they're in pretty good shape there. These are, quite frankly, some of the most stunning worlds I've seen in a videogame. They really look lush and rich with life, and you've gotten so use to games with huge worlds that may occasionally show you some signs of life and what not, but not many give you as good an impression of a true living and very populated ecosystem.

Interested in seeing where it goes from here, because so far the flying combat doesn't really seem like enough. I wonder if there'll be some kind of narrative? Although, I can see how it may not be that style of game. The game will need some kind of mission or objectives system, or else the world could be wasted. Is there an expected release date for this game, or is it not yet determined?

Nokterian

i need this game in my life. Same thing the creator is saying i always dreamed of going from a planet search in caves, go underwater. Walk on land and then in my spaceship i go up and up in to space and just explore. Glad to see that is finally becoming a reality through hello games. And those gifs my lawd...

BigDug13

It feels like everyone is setting themselves up for disappointment with NMS. You dont even really know how it plays yet, calm the hype - its done by a small indie team, it wont reach all the expectations.

The people that set their expectations in line with any $15 indie game will most likely be satisfied with this game. But from what some posters seem to be expecting, they're putting their expectations in line with $60 games made by hundreds of people, which this game is not.

People swear by The Elder Scrolls Daggerfall, and that game was almost entirely procedurally generated. Gamers swear by Minecraft, Spelunky, Rogue Legacy, etc and those are procedurally generated. People are super excited about games like Elite: Dangerous, procedurally generated.

The idea of procedurally generated games has come a long way since the original Rogue games.

Nvm what!? Did you find the video or what

You are as bad as the people who ask technical questions online and reply themselves "nvm i found the answer"

He went back to the previous page and saw this:

Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqFm2voOBdk

Sorry can't create thread

PlayStationEU: MUST WATCH: Incredible story of No Man’s Sky, one of the most talked about games @ #E32014 http://t.co/5XqZKwPek2 http://t.co/zrfl66kNt4

But yeah, pretty terrible on the "nvm" :p I was wondering the same!

I'm super pumped about the game.

Procedural generated content has me a bit worried, though.

Procedurally generated is fascinating to me in that it holds a distinct possibility of being sparse and lacking diversity or vast and filled with stuff and no two people will experience the many of the same things.

The idea of sharing No Man's Sky stories with friends is awesome, because potentially we could play for weeks without seeing the same things.

Top Bottom