• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2016 financial results (60 million PS4 shipped LTD)

Agreed. I just remember how four or five years ago they were bleeding money in a lot of areas. I think their movie production division is still iffy though. Not like they are able to use Spiderman for the next few years.

Marvel Studios won't pay Sony Pictures for the rights to put Spider-Man in ”Captain America: Civil War," the ”Avengers" franchise or its other superhero films, as part of its new partnership with the studio, according to sources with knowledge of the deal. At the same time, Marvel won't receive a cut of the box office for any of Sony's films that feature Spider-Man. Sony won't receive a percentage of the revenue Disney makes from Marvel's films that have Spider-Man, either.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/details-spider-man-appear-in-sony-and-marvel-movies-1201429039/

So it looks like Sony will still be making some money off of Spider-Man.

jayu26

I wonder if Playstation has saved Sony. With so many of their other departments doing bad for Sony in recent years, if Sony really screwed up with the PS4, I think the enitre company would be in serious trouble right now.

Their imaging and financial sectors were always great. During the early days of PS3, their mobile and movies division were holding. PlayStation 4 held ground when others didn't. That is the benefit of diverse portfolio. And now they are forecasting their second biggest profit ever for next full year.

Couldn't be happening to a better console. I'm very pleased with my PS4. I quite literally have more games than I have time to play them, which is both a blessing and a curse.

Unknown?

Couldn't be happening to a better console. I'm very pleased with my PS4. I quite literally have more games than I have time to play them, which is both a blessing and a curse.
Same here! I still haven't beat P5, Horizon, and NiOh. I may never beat them at the rate games are releasing. Just got Puyo Puyo Tetris.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So you're basing this off nothing but emotion and gut reaction, got it.

Well, yeah? I think that was pretty obvious no?

Some people are too touchy and defensive regarding Sony.

Someone expresses shock at sales numbers rapid pace and this is how you react?

Cess007

Yeah, no idea why people took issue with your comment. I took it was if you were surprised in a good way :/ (Like "I can't believe PS4 is doing this good! :D")

Unknown?

Everyone's forgetting Sony has Detroit this year too which will make a mild splash.

Still think a Knack 2/Crash family bundle for the holidays would be a good idea along with Destiny 2/COD.

Hahahaha, what I'm saying is that you're not making a lot of sense. You're saying Sony couldn't possibly meet their 2017 forecast because you simply "refuse to believe" it. And then you defended that. Give some reasoning why, is all.

Inuhanyou

Hahahaha, what I'm saying is that you're not making a lot of sense. You're saying Sony couldn't possibly meet their 2017 forecast because you simply "refuse to believe" it. And then you defended that. Give some reasoning why, is all.

I don't need reasoning when i'm not coming from a place of 'reason'. The PS4 platform has exceeded a lot of my expectations this gen but surpassing PS3 in the time period its predicted to is quite simply extraordinary and something that is hard to wrap one's mind around.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I don't need reasoning when i'm not coming from a place of 'reason'. The PS4 platform has exceeded a lot of my expectations this gen but surpassing PS3 in the time period its predicted to is quite simply extraordinary and something that is hard to wrap one's mind around.
What makes you think it would have that much of a slowdown in sales? It's got a great library and lots of marketing behind it this year with major third party and first party games that will drive console adoption coming out during the next fiscal year.

Inuhanyou

What makes you think it would have that much of a slowdown in sales? It's got a great library and lots of marketing behind it this year with major third party and first party games that will drive console adoption coming out during the next fiscal year.

I have never argued it would slow down in sales. Infact i've made the argument that Sony are pretty comfortable with their set up for the next few years, even just in regards to things we know about(IE no PSX, Jump Festa or E3 bombs). My argument has only been that getting the to PS3's total sales so fast is very incredible and its unbelivable...i'm wondering if i'm saying something wrong

sense

It has nothing to do with being touchy or defensive. It is like coming in and saying activision will not release a new cod next year without any rational thought or any sort of reasoning and just repeating i dont believe activision will release a cod next year again and again. Analogy isn't great but i hope you get the idea. When something is inevitable, you need to provide a counter point if you dont think it is inevitable.
Obviously, if that is your way of expressing disbelief, surprise or shock regarding the sales then you are not being clear about it because it sounded like you were saying Sony will not hit that goal

Inuhanyou

It has nothing to do with being touchy or defensive. It is like coming in and saying activision will not release a new cod next year without any rational thought or any sort of reasoning and just repeating i dont believe activision will release a cod next year again and again. Analogy isn't great but i hope you get the idea. When something is inevitable, you need to provide a counter point if you dont think it is inevitable.

i get the feeling people completely misinterpreted what my posts were saying entirely

I wonder if Playstation has saved Sony. With so many of their other departments doing bad for Sony in recent years, if Sony really screwed up with the PS4, I think the enitre company would be in serious trouble right now.

without the G&NS division Sonys profits would be roughly cut in half
it's the second most important and profitable division behind Financial Services now

gamz

I can't tell if you guys are fucking around or what? What a strange and bizarre exchange. I mean what he said was a compliment and you guys are taking as a insult. It's weird.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
i get the feeling people completely misinterpreted what my posts were saying entirely

I can't tell if you guys are fucking around or what? What a strange and bizarre exchange. I mean what he said was a compliment and you guys are taking as a insult. It's weird.
My apologies. At a glance it seemed like they were arguing against the possibility instead of just expressing surprise.

Inuhanyou

Maybe early on but now a good set of people saw it coming .
Since the end of the second year some people were saying PS4 should hit 100 million in 5 and half to 6 years .

that should not bar people from expressing any sort of surprise

kyser73

A better term would be 'I'm incredulous at Sony's sales.' rather than 'unbelievable', as it implies acceptance of something that still boggles the mind.

Anyway, OT...

BC - or permanent library if we're looking to reframe the concept into something with less baggage - should happen because:

1. While it won't add sales, it's absence may cost sales among early adopters.

2. It's a PR hill potentially as big as the trade-ins/always-on digital debacle MS had to extricate themselves from.

3. If the PS5 is built around Cerny's definition of what constitutes a generational leap, it'll be a monster more than capable of emulating PS4.

I get the arguments about why it isn't an issue and on a personal level at worst it would simply change my normal upgrade strategy of trading my old console in, but IMO the negativity it would attract would impact sales among EAs and become an enduring narrative acting as a dampener on sales over the medium term.

Anyway, congrats to Sony on an amazing console & library.

sense

that should not bar people from expressing any sort of surprise
Your expression of surprise does not come across well in text format. Why not just say "I am shocked/surprised Sony is doing that well and that it might eclipse PS3 sales in just 4 years what took 8 years for PS3" instead of " that's crazy, there is no way Sony is getting close to PS3 sales in just 3 or 4 years" because that leaves room for misinterpretation and lead to this whole back and forth.....

Inuhanyou

Your expression of surprise does not come across well in text format. Why not just say "I am shocked/surprised Sony is doing that well and that it might eclipse PS3 sales in just 4 years what took 8 years for PS3" instead of " that's crazy, there is no way Sony is getting close to PS3 sales in just 3 or 4 years" because that leaves room for misinterpretation and lead to this whole back and forth.....

That's a bit much.

That's a bit much.

To be fair, you phrased it in a very confusing way. I totally thought you were saying you literally did not believe it would happen. I mean look at the quotes:

"I won't believe it until it happens.

i refuse to believe they are gonna be close to PS3's total after like 7 or 8 years by the end of next year. Its not happening.

I'm saying i refuse to believe that that is going to happen."

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Launch aligned, is it still on pace with PS2 and Wii or has it fallen behind?

I'm not even thinking about the PS2, the first thing that came to my mind was:
They are gonna surpass PS3 in 2018. :)

Think about when the PS3 hit 80 million vs these numbers. 7 years vs these numbers in 3+...
Damn....

That's really impressive. PS4 seems on pace to reach the 100m mark.

Wont lie, said it before, when I saw ppl predicting that I was like whaaaa

Now? Over 100 million seems likely.

longdi

Banned
60m only? Seems like PS4 sales are tapering off. They may not reach the golden 100m milestone

With Switch and Scorpio coming, wonder if Sony feel pressure to release a spanking new PS5? Tech toy cycles are shorter these days.

How much has Pro sold? Those seems to always low in stocks and have not make much impact in mid-gen sales rejuvenation.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
60m only? Seems like PS4 sales are tapering off. They may not reach the golden 100m milestone

With Switch and Scorpio coming, wonder if Sony feel pressure to release a spanking new PS5? Tech toy cycles are shorter these days.

How much has Pro sold? Those seems to always low in stocks.

Did you at least read the OP?

With these sales I dont think Sony is feeling any pressure from those 2. Only if sales start to get effected maybe they do price cuts.

Think about why the Switch is out and why MS is promoting, pushing the Scorpio so hard vs Sony barely to not really promoting the Pro.

How much has Pro sold? Those seems to always low in stocks and have not make much impact in mid-gen sales rejuvenation.
You're trying too hard.

I wonder how much of a coincidence it is that the Wii flatlining coincided with the rise of the iPhone.
I don't think there's much correlation. It wasn't until about 5 years after iPhone's release that Wii went pretty flat. It just had an absurdly small presence after its successor's release for any major successful system, with less than 5 million shipped post-Wii U.

joecanada

To be fair, you phrased it in a very confusing way. I totally thought you were saying you literally did not believe it would happen. I mean look at the quotes:

"I won't believe it until it happens.

i refuse to believe they are gonna be close to PS3's total after like 7 or 8 years by the end of next year. Its not happening.

I'm saying i refuse to believe that that is going to happen."

Yeah I mean we understand that you are just expressing surprise but unfortunately we have ppl like crapgamer who say the same type of statements followed by literally saying Sony is lying.
Edit - I think cg anyway maybe I remembered wrong

darkwing

what, isn't 60m like nearly 1m a month

camac002

They wouldn't feel pressure, but it doesn't matter either way because we already know the earliest time a new gen can start based on AMD tech. 2019/20.

Anarion07

Don't be so concerned.
It's still ahead of ps2 sales.

PantsuJo

3. If the PS5 is built around Cerny's definition of what constitutes a generational leap, it'll be a monster more than capable of emulating PS4.

If Sony will use a PC-based hardware again, then there will be no need of "emulating"...

It will be only a matter of software layers, just like a modern PC running software from WinXP (and even older, with some compromises).

Backwards compatibility will be possible. Maybe Sony won't allow it but there is no big technical trouble on grant it for x64 architectures.

SaucyJack

IF they wanted to buy Capcom, they could certainly do it without selling off any of their divisions.Not that they would as its dumb as shit.

Indeed.

A deal for Konami's gaming ip that they're no longer interested in (i.e. everything except PES) however ........

Top Bottom