• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2016 financial results (60 million PS4 shipped LTD)

camac002

Keep investing in high quality AAA games and I will keep handing you my cash. Wonder if there's any smaller studios out there worth acquiring, upgrade them into AAA studios?

Memento

Interesting that they are predicting 18 million for 2017 considering they have shipped 20 million in 2016. I would thought this year would be the peak year. I wonder what is their reasoning for 2 million less shipped when it is clearly a stronger year, especially in the holidays (BF2, WW2 and Destiny 2, all with PS4 marketing deals).

Schrade

I don't have the latest figure in, but it's between the two.
PS4_WW

I wish these charts would extend to the end of the Wii and PS2's lifetime. I want to see the wall.

Keep investing in high quality AAA games and I will keep handing you my cash. Wonder if there's any smaller studios out there worth acquiring, upgrade them into AAA studios?

Kojima Production is the one that immediately comes to mind. Insomniac Games is another. If they sell the failing movie division and reinvest the money on the profitable divisions (along with giving stockholders dividends), they will have money to make a play for some interesting players in the field.

I wish these charts would extend to the end of the Wii and PS2's lifetime. I want to see the wall.

Yes please.

ethomaz

Banned
I don't have the latest figure in, but it's between the two.
PS4_WW
Just to remember these PS2 numbers are production shipment while Wii and PS4 are shipment to retail.

Are there differences?

Yes... production shipment is what Sony produced and stored on own warehouses... they are units not sold yet.

Shipment to retail is what is in hands of retail... what Sony sold to retail.

There are a 1-1.5m difference between them... I remember when Sony changed the tracking in 2016 and PS2 numbers get about 1.5m lower than the same report using the old way.

So it is high possible PS2 did not tracked ahead PS4 yet.

Fantastic sales. A shame I can't stay in their eco-system since they fucked me out of my account :( I'll probably be going Scorpio as my main system as a result.

Interesting that they are predicting 18 million for 2017 considering they have shipped 20 million in 2016. I would thought this year would be the peak year. I wonder what is their reasoning for 2 million less shipped when it is clearly a stronger year, especially in the holidays (BF2, WW2 and Destiny 2, all with PS4 marketing deals).
GT Sport should make it then as well.

Hoping Spiderman or some other First party studio makes it :eek:

To be fair Sony also got a little lucky that MS really botched their launch (and both happened around the same time so it was easy to take advantage of that). That allowed them to take the lead at the start and having the lead helps keep selling your consoles (a console's launch is a huge part of how well it does. Once you get a strong lead it really does feed into keeping selling your console long as you put some effort into keeping the momentum going). Add in that Playstation is a pretty strong brand (It had to be to save the PS3 from its botched launch, I really think the playstation name is what allowed Sony to come back from that launch and make PS3 successful) and you get a pretty good recipe for success.

Could Nintendo have helped by releasing a console that didn't sell well . seems like only MS gets blames for helping PS4 success

Easily. Especially with the onslaught of insane and I mean insaaane software releasing within the next 2 years.

That's what I am thinking. Side by side with the big 3rd party marketing deal commercials, all they have to do is run a sizzle reel of their exclusives and drop the price at the end.

Here you go. Late in the game Sony slightly changed how they reported PS2 numbers (as another replier mentioned), so that's why there are two overlapping but not identical PS2 lines here.

Hairsplash

Link to report: https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/fr/16q4_sonypre.pdf

(Fiscal year ended March 31, 2017)

GRI6ljo.jpg

Total PS4 hardware shipments:

End of FY2015: 40.0 million.
FY2016 shipments: 20.0 million.
= 60.0 million (as of end of March 2017)

Forecast for FY2017: 18.0 million = 78 million LTD by end of March 2018.

And at the end of the march 2018 will have surpassed the total number of xbox360's in existence ( I say existence because i think the wikipedia number includes the RROD xboxs too (meaning they did not subtract the broken ones)

And then the ps3 is put out to pasture...

OTOH, they predict 78M, but the scorpio should sell at least 1M a month in 2018, so that estimate might be a bit optimistic ... but then again maybe people will be replacing there ps4's with ps4pros... so the estimate is correct, what do i know, they are in the business...

Yet might be higher monthly sales for the scorpio because those with xbox ones, it would be stupid NOT TO BUY A SCORPIO. so maybe Microsoft can move 2M a month...

Cell is the only reason why PS3 will never hit $99.

PS4 probably will.

What makes you think that? 7nm chips?[

If they liquidize SPE, they will certainly have the capital.

Here you go. Late in the game Sony slightly changed how they reported PS2 numbers (as another replier mentioned), so that's why there are two overlapping but not identical PS2 lines here.

Geez the Wii flatlined real quickly.

And at the end of the march 2018 will have surpassed the total number of xbox360's in existence ( I say existence because i think the wikipedia number includes the RROD xboxs too (meaning they did not subtract the broken ones)

And then the ps3 is put out to pasture...

no. Xbox 360 consoles, that were replaced by Microsoft are not included in their sold in quarterly reports.
Just the ones when people bought a new one because the old is / was broken.

and you have that with every piece of electronic

Unknown?

Cell? I'm pretty sure it was the RSX that kept PS3 expensive. Nvidia was a problem for PS3 and OG Xbox.

Nintendo kept people up to date about the Wii U numbers, is Microsoft really that sore about not being the next watercooler that they are too embarrassed to give numbers?

ethomaz

Banned
Do you think a $99 ps4 is possible? I imagine the fab will shrink, the ram will stack, and the drive can be ditched, but where else can they net huge cost reduction?
PS4 with 64GB NAND plus APU at next process shrink. We are talking here after PS5 release... 2019/2020.

It is really possipossible... you can stack external chips into APU too.

johnny956

Price drop won't occur this year most likely. Maybe some $199 bundles during the holidays but that's it

ethomaz

Banned
Cell? I'm pretty sure it was the RSX that kept PS3 expensive. Nvidia was a problem for PS3 and OG Xbox.

Nintendo kept people up to date about the Wii U numbers, is Microsoft really that sore about not being the next watercooler that they are too embarrassed to give numbers?
There are similar GPU like RSX in lower process... there is no Cell in lower process because it was too expensive and IBM give up.

Cell will be always the issue here.

32nm or 22nm Cell never happened... it was a myth or created rumor.

Cell: 90nm > 65nm > 45nm
RSX: 90nm > 65nm > 40nm

28nm or lower RSX is possible.
32nm or lower Cell is no possible.

Hydrargyrus

Do the people really think that Sony is not going to counter the Scorpio release with a price drop?

I think is already written, for both: PS4 and PS4pro. Probably we'll see this year:

- PS4 at 200€
- PS4 bundle (Destiny 2, Battlefront 2 or RDR2) at 250€
- PS4 pro bundle (Destiny 2, Battlefront 2 or RDR2) at 350€

And PS4 bundle with COD for January-February

Do the people really think that Sony is not going to counter the Scorpio release with a price drop?

I think is already written, for both: PS4 and PS4pro. Probably we'll see this year:

- PS4 at 200€
- PS4 bundle (Destiny 2, Battlefront 2 or RDR2) at 250€
- PS4 pro bundle (Destiny 2, Battlefront 2 or RDR2) at 350€

And PS4 bundle with COD for January-February
There isn't anything to really counter. I suspect price drops but I wouldn't be surprised by no price drops.

$99 PS4 will never happen, even if they remove BD drive and HDD.
Agreed, just musings.

Tigress

Could Nintendo have helped by releasing a console that didn't sell well . seems like only MS gets blames for helping PS4 success

Nintendos console had already been out a while and they did not make a huge faux pas that had everyone in an uproar. Especially when another console is coming out at the same time so the two directly compete. And at this point Nintendo really isn't competing for the same crowd.

pswii60

More competition? Switch and Scorpio.

Sony is pretty much the company that active supports mid sized games.
This is a big reason why even later in the gen, It's hard for me to pull away from my PS4 and get other platforms. The smaller sized games, that the devs will be happy if they hit 500k in sales, sometimes they are the real gems. From Gravity Rush to Knack, to Wipeout collection and Parappa remakes, PS has that "something for everyone" variety in software again. Honestly, the only thing its missing is something purely for the casual audience like Buzz, Singstar, Mario Kart (doubles for hardcore/casual here) but hopefully Sony's older strategy where they focus on casual audience once the hardware is cheap is still at work in PS4's life cycle.

Maybe they want to be surprised. :p

Josh5890

I wonder if Playstation has saved Sony. With so many of their other departments doing bad for Sony in recent years, if Sony really screwed up with the PS4, I think the enitre company would be in serious trouble right now.

I wonder if Playstation has saved Sony. With so many of their other departments doing bad for Sony in recent years, if Sony really screwed up with the PS4, I think the enitre company would be in serious trouble right now.

They've cleaned up quite a bit actually. I think they only had one division that didn't report a profit this quarter.

Josh5890

They've cleaned up quite a bit actually. I think they only had one division that didn't report a profit this quarter.

Agreed. I just remember how four or five years ago they were bleeding money in a lot of areas. I think their movie production division is still iffy though. Not like they are able to use Spiderman for the next few years.

Top Bottom