• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2016 financial results (60 million PS4 shipped LTD)

Curufinwe

60m only? Seems like PS4 sales are tapering off. They may not reach the golden 100m milestone

With Switch and Scorpio coming, wonder if Sony feel pressure to release a spanking new PS5? Tech toy cycles are shorter these days.

How much has Pro sold? Those seems to always low in stocks and have not make much impact in mid-gen sales rejuvenation.

Good joke post.

They wouldn't feel pressure, but it doesn't matter either way because we already know the earliest time a new gen can start based on AMD tech. 2019/20.
I don't keep up with tech stuff. Is AMD releasing something around that time? Or is that when it would be become possible for Sony to use something that would already be out?

I don't keep up with tech stuff. Is AMD releasing something around that time? Or is that when it would be become possible for Sony to use something that would already be out?

It has to do more with die shrinks than AMD to tell the truth.
Around that time is when we should get the next one .
Which will allow for more power without being to expensive .

It doesn't seem to be slowing down yet either. With plenty of room left to move on pricing I can see the PS4 having a few more good years. 100million is a forgone conclusion it's just a matter of how far they go past it. I'm thinking 115-120 when all is said and done though it all depends on how they transition to next gen or if they blur the lines between the 2.

It will end up being arguably the most successful console ever. Their profits are insane and they have totally regained their supremacy in the market.

Whilst I think in part Sonys success was due to Nintendo and MS totally dropping the ball the end result is the same. It's going to be hard for MS to to try and regain a foothold. Nintendo has sort of sidestepped Sony which leaves them in a slightly better position.

I don't think there's much correlation. It wasn't until about 5 years after iPhone's release that Wii went pretty flat. It just had an absurdly small presence after its successor's release for any major successful system, with less than 5 million shipped post-Wii U.

True, but also remember that iPhone didn't launch until a full year after Wii did. And then, as for gaming, the App Store wasn't a thing until 2008. Then you have to assume that it took another year or two for the iPhone to become truly mainstream as a casual gaming device. I'd guess it was around this point where a shift started to happen.

when sony will start giving us some software results like game publishers do.?

Are you talking about specific software sales? They've never really done that. But they'll give out overall software sales every now and then. In early January they announced that the PS4 had sold 401.1m games.

noobie

Banned
Are you talking about specific software sales? They've never really done that. But they'll give out overall software sales every now and then. In early January they announced that the PS4 had sold 401.1m games.

i am talking about Sony published softwares like TLOU, Horizon Zero Dawn, Gravity Rush 2 etc.

noobie

Banned
Just took a quick look. So, overall, it's not looking too good. I'm surprised their forecast for the next year is this positive.

To me only Pictures is one division where they are showing lot of optimism. But otherwise it seems quite a reasonable forecast.

samar11

How capable is Sony of producing their own cpu/gpu chips, if they wanted to go that root or something happened to AMD?

sn0man

Sony predicting 18m sales when they have a far better lineup this year seems strange. I'm guessing that's because there won't be a hardware revision this year.

Sadly I think you're right. They should do a pro that bundles in all the VR breakout box. I'd go for one of those.

At the rate it's selling, PS4's worst case scenario is fourth place, behind Wii.

Its best case scenario is second place, behind PS2. I think that will depend on how well it continues to sell in a PS5 world. With Sony leaving the handheld market, I think they will continue to support PS4 as a budget console for a number of years after the launch of its successor.

Chitown B

At the rate it's selling, PS4's worst case scenario is fourth place, behind Wii.

Its best case scenario is second place, behind PS2. I think that will depend on how well it continues to sell in a PS5 world. With Sony leaving the handheld market, I think they will continue to support PS4 as a budget console for a number of years after the launch of its successor.

Does PS4 Pro count towards that total? if so, do the Sega 32X CD hybrid machines count towards the Genesis? It's very gray area there.

notaskwid

Does PS4 Pro count towards that total? if so, do the Sega 32X CD hybrid machines count towards the Genesis? It's very gray area there.
All of them 10 sold 32X CD count.
The same way the Gameboy line is all lumped together until Color, the DS/DSi and 3ds/n3ds/2ds.

I don't believe so (regarding the 32x). I also wouldn't consider it much of a gray area. PS4 Pro is simply a more powerful PS4. It plays all the same software. 32x is an add-on with titles that do not work on a base Genesis/Mega Drive.

Chitown B

I don't believe so (regarding the 32x). I also wouldn't consider it much of a gray area. PS4 Pro is simply a more powerful PS4. It plays all the same software. 32x is an add-on with titles that do not work on a base Genesis/Mega Drive.

PS4 may have games that only work on PS4 Pro. It's not that different. The "Pro" is virtually an add on that is built in. Same as the CDX.

credit-gametrog.jpg

PS4 may have games that only work on PS4 Pro. It's not that different. The "Pro" is virtually an add on that is built in. Same as the CDX.

credit-gametrog.jpg

You said the 32x, not CDX. The CDX wasn't even compatible with 32x software. I'm sure that system counted towards Genesis numbers.

Also, your first statement is false. Maybe it will become true in the future, but I doubt it.

Tutomos

Every game available on PS4 Pro will also be available on PS4. I wouldn't count PS4 Slim as an add on just like I wouldn't count PS4 pro as an add on.

Interesting that they are predicting 18 million for 2017 considering they have shipped 20 million in 2016. I would thought this year would be the peak year. I wonder what is their reasoning for 2 million less shipped when it is clearly a stronger year, especially in the holidays (BF2, WW2 and Destiny 2, all with PS4 marketing deals).

They also forecast 17.7 million PS4's for 2016. Maybe they like being conservative on the estimates?

Quoted for posterity.

Do you really want to hang on that cross when Sony themselves won't pass a game if it fails to work on base PS4? You do realize they are not treating the PS4pro as a new console? Just another PS4 SKU. They already addressed this speculation before the console was even released.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/08/ps4-pro-the-ultimate-faq/

It’s important to note that PS4 Pro is not another generation of console. It won’t make your current PS4 games obsolete, and it won’t split the PS4 player base. PS4 Pro is very much a part of the PS4 family.
and
There will not be any PS4 Pro-exclusive games. Because PS4 Pro and the standard PS4 are members of the same family, both systems will be fully compatible with all past, present, and future PS4 titles, including PlayStation VR. All PS4 games are PS4 Pro games, and vice-versa.

Looks pretty black and white to me.

Tutomos

Quoted for posterity.

Yes, and I mean all games. Not just AAA games, but also PSN and VR games. Some people might think there could be exclusive VR games on PS4 Pro because it's running VR games a lot better than the base PS4. But no, there will be no PS4 Pro exclusive games.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
How capable is Sony of producing their own cpu/gpu chips, if they wanted to go that root or something happened to AMD?

Have to look it up but years ago there was an article about smartphone chips and somebody was in that article that had me like wow, didnt know they did that. It mave been Sony. Or Sharp, cant remember right now. But I think this is a good question.

Found it. It was ST-Ericsson. I guess it stuck out because I remember the name Sony Ericsson. Dont even know whats Sony's connection is to them.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Snap...the-mobile-CPU-war-beyond-1GHz_id12546/page/2

All of them 10 sold 32X CD count.
The same way the Gameboy line is all lumped together until Color, the DS/DSi and 3ds/n3ds/2ds.

Exactly.

Trying to ask if the Pro counts as a PS4 sale isnt a good argument IMO.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Panajev2001a said:
Sony also got some features beyond Polaris, Cerny got hungry :D.
Well of course - you're paying for a redesign, you might as well actually take new features.

staticneuron said:
They also forecast 17.7 million PS4's for 2016. Maybe they like being conservative on the estimates?
Probably worth noting that to date, only 3 consoles ever crossed 20M in a year (Wii and PS1/2), and I think only PS2/Wii did it more than once. So PS4 getting into that club isn't something to be taken for granted.

Do you really want to hang on that cross when Sony themselves won't pass a game if it fails to work on base PS4?
It's less "confusing" if you consider that you submit a PS4 game. It's the Pro functionality(if any) that gets tested separately.

Rolf NB

They'd have to find a different partner to license tech from. Designing a new high-performance GPU arch from scratch is folly, they are too far behind, it would never be competitive, patents are a minefield etc.

The obvious replacement partner would be NVIDIA.
Barring that, they could license PowerVR / ARM Mali / other GPU IP but they'd be the first ones to (attempt to) scale a mobile GPU arch to multi-TFLOP performance levels.

CPU is comparatively easy. Whatever ARM cores are available for licensing at the time.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Rolf NB said:
The obvious replacement partner would be NVIDIA.
For both Sony and MS - switching away from AMD would be costly as you don't get "free" compatibility across GPU architectures.

Though at least CPU side is a non-issue which has been the harder part historically to emulate.

00ich

am i reading this right?

Someone actually tried to downplay PS4's success by quoting Switch and Scorpio?

The salt is real.

To be honest I like to know how much overlap there is between Switch and PlayStation audience. Zelda vs Horizon Zero Dawn went to Nintendo that has to translate into lost sales in some form.

kyser73

To be honest I like to know how much overlap there is between Switch and PlayStation audience. Zelda vs Horizon Zero Dawn went to Nintendo that has to translate into lost sales in some form.

Why? In NPD it was pretty close factoring in digital sales that pushed HZD over 1mn (according to SakesGaffer John Harker)and BotW was across two platforms too.

black070

Horizon PS4 Retail + Digital Sales > Zelda Switch Retail + Digital Sales.

60m only? Seems like PS4 sales are tapering off. They may not reach the golden 100m milestone

With Switch and Scorpio coming, wonder if Sony feel pressure to release a spanking new PS5? Tech toy cycles are shorter these days.

How much has Pro sold? Those seems to always low in stocks and have not make much impact in mid-gen sales rejuvenation.
ys1Sv5v.gif

Oh man the crazies on GAF every switch sales related thread is becoming embarrassing. Will the switch hurt the PS4(lol) will the switch outsell the PS2(even bigger fucking lol) There is optimism and then there is crazy what is going on right now is crazy.

EGM1966

What? Sales thus far indicate almost zero overlap and a cannibalisation level so small as to be negligible.

That might change but right now there's no reason to assume any noticeable impact.

The large AAA franchise audience isn't moving to Switch for those games. They might get a Switch but few will shift to playing CoD on it.

Exclusives by definition rarely hurt each other so long as their platform is healthy. You can't chose between them only the platforms their on.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
What? Sales thus far indicate almost zero overlap and a cannibalisation level so small as to be negligible.

That might change but right now there's no reason to assume any noticeable impact.

The large AAA franchise audience isn't moving to Switch for those games. They might get a Switch but few will shift to playing CoD on it.

Exclusives by definition rarely hurt each other so long as their platform is healthy. You can't chose between them only the platforms their on.

Is Call of Duty even being made for the Switch?

noobie

Banned
What are the expectations for Sony's Quarterly result? in terms of over all Sony financial health and specifically in game business?

Can there be any surprises? I don't think their movies and pictures division has done anything brilliant?

jordddddd

Neo Member
What are the expectations for Sony's Quarterly result? in terms of over all Sony financial health and specifically in game business?

Can there be any surprises? I don't think their movies and pictures division has done anything brilliant?

spiderman homecoming has done $600 million box office so far . Baby driver overperformed aswell. mabye the emoji movie damaged it's profits abit but i i think overall they did very good.

Not sure if they'll be counted as they released in july

sense

spiderman homecoming has done $600 million box office so far . Baby driver overperformed aswell. mabye the emoji movie damaged it's profits abit but i i think overall they did very good.

Not sure if they'll be counted as they released in july
Emoji is going to make its money back comfortably because it was made on a tiny budget of 50 million. The opening weekend estimates just for North America is about 25-27 million.

Top Bottom