• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Gamescom 2014 press conference confirmed for August 12

Jomjom

Banned
There isn't going to be some grand jrpg. Maybe an indie inspired by jrpgs like child of light.

Not expecting any real big announcements, just some indies.

De_Legend

Banned
I don't think Insomniac will be handing this one since Sony own the IP rights to Ratchet and Clank, as I'm sure you guys know, so maybe it'll be Sony PR handling this. With any luck Insomniac won't be developing it and someone else will have a chance. Sly 4 was an enjoyable game, another developer won't make Ratchet and Clank a bad game.

Can't wait to see how the duo look on PS4 though. ^_^

? Insomniac is developing it.

Xando

My final thoughts on what is going down at Gamescom. How long is the conference? That will tell us alot. 90 minutes - 120 minutes means lotso live game demonstrations.

1.) Bloodborne live demonstration on stage, different area then behind the scenes at E3. Ends with boss fight tease ala initial leaked trailer.

2.) Rime live gameplay on stage, or long 3-5 minute trailer.

3.) The Witness showcase by Blow.

4.) New Uncharted 4 teaser trailer, again all in-engine

5.) Media Molecule new project reveal and live demonstration

6.) Guerilla Games new IP reveal and teaser video, in-game engine

7.) Ultra Street Fighter 4 announcement

8.) Tekken 7 showcase

9.) LBP3 showcase

10.) GTAV live demo

11.) Destiny RAID demonstration

12.) More DriveClub weather videos

13.) No Mans Sky showcase

I'm guessing a few third party title surprises along the way.

Seems about right...
The only thing ill doubt is the GTA V live demo, we probably get a trailer with release date - maybe SP DLC and / or GTA online Heists.

VLiberty

Insomniacs PR is probably busy with Sunset overdrive so i think they will go full R&C mode after the games out.

It wouldn't be the first time they show two games at the same time though. Also, it needs a proper reveal as 1) some people still haven't understand that it's actually a new game 2) some people still don't even know that the game is coming, and for a game releasing in less than a year that's quite dangerous
They may change their schedule, but when it was announced they said fall

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/06/09/ratchet-clank-announced-for-ps4/

I guess it could pop up at TGS. Other than that i'm not sure where else they'd show it. There really aren't any games that they're releasing this fall that would match well with it in terms of including a trailer with it. And there aren't any other major shows after TGS.
They'll probably do a PSBlog blowout or something like this

RK128

My bets for Tuesday are these :D.

PS4:
- Ratchet and Clank Redux getting a gameplay trailer with a demo coming this fall and/or comes bundled with LBP 3 or something :).
- More gameplay on The Order, LBP3, DriveClub and Bloodborn. Bloodborn will get a release date for sometime next year.
- Proper gameplay trailer for Uncharted 4. After that, we get another trailer but for an Uncharted Collection (developed by Bluepoint; they did say they were working on bring a Classic PS IP to PS4 I think :D) with an Uncharted 4 Beta being included with the Collection.
- MM's, GC's, GG's and Studio Japan's PS4 games all get shown off :D! MM will be a game that uses the PS Camera and Move Controllers to create 3D platforming levels using the engine from Tearaway, GC making either a new Killzone game or returning to a old PS1 IP (Midevil maybe :D? They DID hint that at the end of PS All Stars), GG's finally showing off there RPG game, and Studio Japan closing the show with a massive, huge revivial/new JRPG IP :D!.
- PS4 getting a new SKU; PS4 + Vita bundle officially announced for NA and EU this fall for 450. It will include a 16GB Memory Card, a year of PS+, and a big Sony game (I guess.....either Infamous or Killzone).
- More indie games coming to PS4/PS3/Vita. Hopefully will include the more 3D games coming to Steam (please, can A Hat in Time come to PS4? Freedom Planet coming to Vita?)
- Until Dawn getting re-born as a sudo-action/horror game with gameplay similar to Resident Evil 4 or still a game that heavily uses PS Move (but at this point, I don't know about that :l. The game has been pushed back a two years already, so I must be the motion controls getting in the way of the games development or something...)
- Surprise 3rd party exclusive announced (seeing that the Street Fighter producer is making SOMETHING for PS4 that isn't Deep Down......maybe Capcom developing a PS Fighting game? That would be amazing :D!)

PS3/Vita:
- More Collections announced; Ape Escape and Level-5 Collections coming to PS3 and Vita. Ape Escape will include all three original games Ape Escape 1 (Based on the PSP but with higher-res character models/worlds and restoring the original PS1 game's controls), Ape Escape 2 and Ape Escape 3 with full HD and 60FPS (Vita having native res with 30FPS with controls modeled after the PSP Ape Escape 1 but with camera mapped to right stick). Level-5 Collection will include Dark Cloud 1 and 2 + Rouge Legacy. Studio Japan and Level-5 working on both projects and coming some time next year. (With this being new Collections, they will be cross-buy with Vita :D!)
- Sony announcing 3rd party's developing even more HD Collections; Capcom bring Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2, Activison bring the Spider-Man games (SM 2 and USM), more coming.
- PS3 gets new SKU; very small model with 1TB hard drive (that can easily be removed) and has a year of PS+ included but no disk drive. Will cost 150$ and coming sometime next year (to not over-lap with PS TV sales).

PS Vita:
- 64GB Memory Card coming in September for EU and NA :D! That alongside new prices for the memory cards; 4 and 8GB cards discontinued, 16GB costing 20 bucks, 32GB costing 40 bucks and 64GB 60 bucks.
- Mega Packs coming to NA; they will range from 30 dollars (including 8GB cards) to 50 dollars (including 16GB cards). They will be based of the ones that was released in EU.
- More HD Collections coming; Ico Collection coming earily next year, Ratchet Dreadlocked coming this fall (made by the Mass Media, also ported the Trilogy to Vita), Okami, DMC Collection, and Resident Evil games (RE4 and RE: CV) coming next year, Prince of Persia and/or Splinter Cell Collections coming next year, and Silent Hill Collection (developed by Armpature or Bluepoint; I don't think Konami will want to fuck that collection up AGAIN I think :l) coming next year.
- Gravity Rush 2 still coming to Vita but also coming to PS4 (Vita version still pushing the hardware though). Coming some time next year.
- Oshoka and Freedom Wars shown off in montage.
- PSN games on PS3 coming to Vita; the bigger ones (many of the ones that are really great, like Mega Man 9/10 and Sonic CD 2011)
- .....I guess more Mobile ports; third party have been making lots of console quality games on mobile but they never landed on Vita X(. Stuff like Deus Ex the Fall, Xcom Enimie Unknown, Bioshock 1 port, ect should be on Vita.

I think that is it :). I know this isn't modest at all, but if any of these things can happen, that will be nice :D.

PS4:
- Ratchet and Clank Redux getting a gameplay trailer with a demo coming this fall and/or comes bundled with LBP 3 or something :).
- More gameplay on The Order, LBP3, DriveClub and Bloodborn. Bloodborn will get a release date for sometime next year.
- Proper gameplay trailer for Uncharted 4. After that, we get another trailer but for an Uncharted Collection (developed by Bluepoint; they did say they were working on bring a Classic PS IP to PS4 I think :D) with an Uncharted 4 Beta being included with the Collection.
- MM's, GC's, GG's and Studio Japan's PS4 games all get shown off :D! MM will be a game that uses the PS Camera and Move Controllers to create 3D platforming levels using the engine from Tearaway, GC making either a new Killzone game or returning to a old PS1 IP (Midevil maybe :D? They DID hint that at the end of PS All Stars), GG's finally showing off there RPG game, and Studio Japan closing the show with a massive, huge revivial/new JRPG IP :D!.
- PS4 getting a new SKU; PS4 + Vita bundle officially announced for NA and EU this fall for 450. It will include a 16GB Memory Card, a year of PS+, and a big Sony game (I guess.....either Infamous or Killzone).
- More indie games coming to PS4/PS3/Vita. Hopefully will include the more 3D games coming to Steam (please, can A Hat in Time come to PS4? Freedom Planet coming to Vita?)
- Until Dawn getting re-born as a sudo-action/horror game with gameplay similar to Resident Evil 4 or still a game that heavily uses PS Move (but at this point, I don't know about that :l. The game has been pushed back a two years already, so I must be the motion controls getting in the way of the games development or something...)
- Surprise 3rd party exclusive announced (seeing that the Street Fighter producer is making SOMETHING for PS4 that isn't Deep Down......maybe Capcom developing a PS Fighting game? That would be amazing :D!)

PS3/Vita:
- More Collections announced; Ape Escape and Level-5 Collections coming to PS3 and Vita. Ape Escape will include all three original games Ape Escape 1 (Based on the PSP but with higher-res character models/worlds and restoring the original PS1 game's controls), Ape Escape 2 and Ape Escape 3 with full HD and 60FPS (Vita having native res with 30FPS with controls modeled after the PSP Ape Escape 1 but with camera mapped to right stick). Level-5 Collection will include Dark Cloud 1 and 2 + Rouge Legacy. Studio Japan and Level-5 working on both projects and coming some time next year. (With this being new Collections, they will be cross-buy with Vita :D!)
- Sony announcing 3rd party's developing even more HD Collections; Capcom bring Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2, Activison bring the Spider-Man games (SM 2 and USM), more coming.
- PS3 gets new SKU; very small model with 1TB hard drive (that can easily be removed) and has a year of PS+ included but no disk drive. Will cost 150$ and coming sometime next year (to not over-lap with PS TV sales).

PS Vita:
- 64GB Memory Card coming in September for EU and NA :D! That alongside new prices for the memory cards; 4 and 8GB cards discontinued, 16GB costing 20 bucks, 32GB costing 40 bucks and 64GB 60 bucks.
- Mega Packs coming to NA; they will range from 30 dollars (including 8GB cards) to 50 dollars (including 16GB cards). They will be based of the ones that was released in EU.
- More HD Collections coming; Ico Collection coming earily next year, Ratchet Dreadlocked coming this fall (made by the Mass Media, also ported the Trilogy to Vita), Okami, DMC Collection, and Resident Evil games (RE4 and RE: CV) coming next year, Prince of Persia and/or Splinter Cell Collections coming next year, and Silent Hill Collection (developed by Armpature or Bluepoint; I don't think Konami will want to fuck that collection up AGAIN I think :l) coming next year.
- Gravity Rush 2 still coming to Vita but also coming to PS4 (Vita version still pushing the hardware though). Coming some time next year.
- PSN games on PS3 coming to Vita; the bigger ones (many of the ones that are really great, like Mega Man 9/10 and Sonic CD 2011)
- .....I guess more Mobile ports; third party have been making lots of console quality games on mobile but they never landed on Vita X(. Stuff like Deus Ex the Fall, Xcom Enimie Unknown, Bioshock 1 port, ect should be on Vita.

I think that is it :). I know this isn't modest at all, but if any of these things can happen, that will be nice :D.
:(
I'll see you after Gamescom.

There isn't going to be some grand jrpg. Maybe an indie inspired by jrpgs like child of light.

Not expecting any real big announcements, just some indies.

Yeah, I think expectations need to be tempered, we're veering into crazy territory a little. I think we'll see plenty of the games coming out in February (The Order, Bloodborne) a few indies, and maybe a teaser for a summer 2015 release.

Apart from From Software, I don't think Japan has much to offer for the next 9 months, I think they're playing catch-up after losing the plot during PS3/HD production and screwing their development pipelines.

forgot about this game

is there a release date?

Everywhere I look still has it TBA 2014. Likely it has been pushed into 2015 but this gen so far has been all about announcing games just a few months down the road. So it could still hit the November type timeslot if the release date was given at Gamescom or a little later. Who knows. My bet is 2015 but would love to get it in my hands this holiday.

Vidpixel

My final thoughts on what is going down at Gamescom. How long is the conference? That will tell us alot. 90 minutes - 120 minutes means lotso live game demonstrations.

1.) Bloodborne live demonstration on stage, different area then behind the scenes at E3. Ends with boss fight tease ala initial leaked trailer.

8.) Tekken 7 showcase

9.) LBP3 showcase

10.) GTAV live demo

If Uncharted 4 does show up at Gamescom, I'm sure it will be a gameplay demo, as they've already had two teaser trailers for it.

RK128

I'll see you after Gamescom.

Ha, I'm fimilar with that message Maximum Spider :). I know Sony gives two shits about the Vita, but some of those ideas are quite cost effective. Them porting over PS3 Collections to Vita is cheap (isn't that way there are so many of them on Vita?) and them having Gravity Rush 2 be made for the Vita first then ported to PS4 would make it very cost-effective (as they would only up-scale the game to PS4, making it much cheaper to develop then normal PS4 games).

I have my expectations in check, those are just some cool things I would like to see :D.

orochi91

8.) Tekken 7 showcase

9.) LBP3 showcase

10.) GTAV live demo

That would be incredible.

Hence why it will never happen D':

Shabad

So realistically, we could see updates on DriveClub, Bloodborne, The Order, LPB3, Rime, The Witness, Shadow of the Beast, No Man's Sky, Destiny, Until Dawn, Ratchet & Clank, Deep Down, PlanetSide 2 or even Gravity Rush 2. That alone would satisfy me completely. It just show how many titles Sony has in stores, and how much they have to communicate on...

But then, they won't come empty handed on the announcement side either, so we can also expect the new Mm project, those infamous WRPG from Guerilla Games and JRPG from Japan Studios, whatever Bend or London studios are cooking up, the new Quantic Dream, Housemarque's teased game, ... Of course, we won't get all of those, but still...

The amount of games Sony is building up for its latest console is mesmerizing. Tuesday will be epic :)

More DriveClub, Rime and Blood-FUCKING-Borne please! Anything else would be bonus at that point...

If Uncharted 4 does show up at Gamescom, I'm sure it will be a gameplay demo, as they've already had two teaser trailers for it.

I am unaware of any teaser trailer, other than the one they showed at their pre-E3 conference...???

AmuroChan

Personally I think it's way too early to show UC4 gameplay. UC2 and UC3 gameplay were both revealed at E3 if I remembered correctly. It makes more sense to show gameplay at E3 2015, especially if UC4 is a holiday 2015 release.

Percy

Banned
My bad, when I say handling it, I mean the marketing. I'd prefer to see another developer give it a go and see what they can come up with.

So would I as Insomniac's work has been just awful across the board since Crack in Time. I'd honestly rather someone else get handed the Ratchet franchise rather than see another phoned in IG effort like the last few have been.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Is there going to be a spoiler thread? I'm not gonna be able to watch it live, but I do want to watch it all.

I wouldn't expect any huge surprises, they've already teased pretty much everything they're going to show.

- Until Dawn PS4 re reveal trailer
- Media Molecule new IP trailer
- Bloodbourne gameplay demo
- The Order gameplay demo
- Rime gameplay demo
- Driveclub gameplay demo
- More info about other already announced indies (Shadow Of The Beast, The Witness)
- One new downloadable title from SCEJ
- GTA V PS4 release date and bundle
- SOE games on PS4 dated and short demo of Planetside 2
- New OS updates
- Already announced third party games

I would not expect anything major outside this.

I'm want to hear a update on Gravity Rush 2

I'm a bit worried as to why Sony have taken so long to follow up that teaser trailer from almost a whole year ago with something new. I hope it's not doing a TLG right now by languishing in development hell or anything like that.

Revan

I'm just going to make a wild ridiculous guess:

Ninja Gaiden (Black, 2 and RE **no sigma games**) remastered for the PS4/XBO and a Ninja Gaiden 4 announcement.

This won't happen but damn if it did...

8.) Tekken 7 showcase

9.) LBP3 showcase

10.) GTAV live demo

That would be an awesome show. Probably won't get all that.

I do hope we get some news about Sony Bend's upcoming project, as well as some new on what Sony London is working on.

I guess we may as well add Until Dawn to that list since it is virtually confirmed to be there.

Oh we're doing predictions now? Well here are mine:

1) Bloodborne gameplay demo

2) An Uncharted 4 trailer, but this time with some cinematics and some gameplay showing off whats going on with the story

3) Media Molecule reveal trailer

4) Guerilla Game's RPG trailer

5) An Ultra SFIV PS4 port reveal

6) Deep Down trailer with more gameplay, with a release date and beta aka demo date + how to get in

7) A GTA V PS4 Bundle with a release date for probably November or December

8) A short trailer of that mysterious PS4 Japanese game

9) The Vita will get a total of 2 minutes of time during the press conference and it won't be anything significant

10) Indie game blowout for 5 minutes

11) A reminder and gameplay trailer of LBP3

Surprises are welcome. Destiny and Drive Club stuff will get briefly mentioned during the press conference but won't get the spotlight

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'm quite pessimistic about gamescom. Prove me wrong, Sony.

Frankly, that's the right mindset to have.

Gamescom has never blown the doors off in terms of big announcements. Not sure why this is the year that it all miraculously does.

There is tons of good shit coming for Playstation. Let's not all focus our hopes and dreams on a might-be-good conference.

Planetside 2 as PS4's MP shooter for this Holiday is my dream announcement

Yeah, what ever happened with that game.

First it was launch, then it was early 2014, then summer 2014, then late 2014, and now we haven't had any word on it in months.

What gives? I do not understand why this deal is taking so long?

Yeah, what ever happened with that game.

First it was launch, then it was early 2014, then summer 2014, then late 2014, and now we haven't had any word on it in months.

What gives? I do not understand why this deal is taking so long?

It was apparently rough during its E3 showing. We should get an update at SOE Live, which starts on the 14th.

Flandy

PS4:

PS3/Vita:

PS Vita:

I'll say the same thing I said to you before e3 when you made that unrealistic list.

lol

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Surprises are welcome. Destiny and Drive Club stuff will get briefly mentioned during the press conference but won't get the spotlight

Disagree on this bit. The one region where Driveclub might do okay is Europe. They didn't even talk about the game at E3, I expect it to get pushed at Gamescom.

And Bungie is already going on Twitter talking about how they will be at Gamescom. Fully expect them to show up at Sony's event with a big final push with new footage and talking about stuff they still haven't talked about yet.

Takao

Banned
I don't see why that distinction matters. What was the last big JRPG announced at TGS anyway? God Eater 2?

If you're going to count God Eater 2, I'm not sure why Phantasy Star Nova wouldn't. That was announced at last year's TGS.

IIRC, Capcom has an unannounced PS4 title being produced by Ono. I am guessing Niitsuma and his Marvel team have to be doing something, so it might be that.

Or I could be wrong and it could be a Capcom all stars, which is also welcome.

this is capcom
ultra street fighter iv double hd remix spectacular the hyper fighting

Japan has been handheld dominant for quite a while, but thats changed - just look at PSV sales. Its mobile or 3DS now, and the 3DS will never compare to the DS or GBA.

3DS will surpass GBA's total sales in Japan before the end of the year. DS is out of sight, though.

There's no doubt that mobile has contracted the traditional games market in Japan, but I see Vita's sales as more a reflection of Sony's poor presence in Japan. Sony has 0 million selling IPs over there, so their hardware relies on third party support. Sony wasn't willing or able to bankroll titles like Monster Hunter, Metal Gear, Resident Evil and Final Fantasy for Vita. That platform has had to sell itself off of derivative original IPs and Japan's B-list. Vita could be doing a lot better over there if Sony had dropped some cash.

Sony really HAS to somehow get Monster Hunter onto the PS4. It has to happen. Would be MASSIVE. They need Dragon Quest back on the console as well. They need the utmost support from the japanese dev. community on all fronts. I think this gen Sony has the highest hopes of getting the support they used to get on the PSX / PS2. The PS4 is easier to develop for, it is very popular and building a large userbase pretty quickly, etc. They will just have to plop down some dough to help with initial development costs and any losses during the initial building of the userbase over in that country. Even MH would likely lose money in Japan right now with only 600K people to sell to.

Are you referring to the losses that would bring if Capcom did that? Monster Hunter isn't a huge seller on consoles. It did just over a million in Japan on something as prevalent as the Wii. The handheld entries have gone as high as 4.8 million.

I can see PS4 getting a port of Frontier or Online, and maybe one of the handheld games. I don't see an original entry being a realistic thing.

Are you referring to the losses that would bring if Capcom did that? Monster Hunter isn't a huge seller on consoles. It did just over a million in Japan on something as prevalent as the Wii. The handheld entries have gone as high as 4.8 million.

I can see PS4 getting a port of Frontier or Online, and maybe one of the handheld games. I don't see an original entry being a realistic thing.

How much could it possibly cost at this point to make a monster hunter title? 30-40 million maybe? Considering they have been re-using the same art assets for the past 10 years, It can't be much more then that.

Sell a million copies, voila you made your money back. I mean the series has sold 28,000,000 copies so far and did incredibly well on the PSP and PS2 back in the day, so not sure what the worry would be. They would make money off of it, no doubt. If Sony came in and helped them out with the graphics engine and funneled in some development talent and helped with development costs, it would massively diminish the overall cost of production.

I really think a new Monster Hunter console title with a new engine that is primed for current-gen would be a hot selling item.

Top Bottom