• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: Gamescom to be focused on the PS4's lineup

jaypah

Hype? Fuck yes hype. Blow my mind Sony. Didn't our own Mortimer say that Sony has a killer surprise? Even if he didn't I'm going to pretend he did for maximum Hype!

I wouldn't read too much into either statement. I never read much into gamescom being a psvita show because it was said so far out from it and just seemed like cover your ass pr.

At the same time I don't think the facebook post here is any sort of definitive source of info either. They were probably told to say the show is about ps4 games because that will get the most eyes on the show. That doesn't preclude them from discussing the ps3 or vita.

I'm not holding my breath, however. We've seen this before and we know how it ends.

There are vita games to announce. Or there were a few months ago. Unless they got canceled or are going for the stealth surprise release tecmo style.... they have to talk about it at some point? Right? Guys?

DigitalOp

Banned
That likely wouldn't do much good. "A game or two" isn't enough to show the system is worth investing in.

Not exactly true.

If we got 2 major standout games from gamescom, combined with the upcoming Vita lineup and existing catalog, the Vita could very well be desirable.

Currently it feels slightly skimp, but do not underestimate the power of 2 big headline games and how they can completely fillout a lineup.

Metallix87

Not exactly true.

If we got 2 major standout games from gamescom, combined with the upcoming Vita lineup and existing catalog, the Vita could very well be desirable.

Currently it feels slightly skimp, but do not underestimate the power of 2 big headline games and how they can completely fillout a lineup.

I disagree. It wouldn't be enough to show that Sony has a long-term interest in making the system viable.

Ok, only got through the first 10 or so posts, but why are people bitching? PS4 should be the focus. I have a Vita and I like it a lot, but seeing Vita games at a trade show is boring as fuck. Bring on the exciting stuff.

I don't understand all this "vitaisdead, vitaRIP" posts. Can't the conference be fully packaged for both the PS4 and vita? PS4 will get most of the lime light but its not like the vita will be completely ignored (hope not. lol).

DBT85

I know the guy said "It'll be a Vita show" but I genuinely never expected that to mean Vita first and foremost. They have a new home console coming out ffs. I always expected it to just mean that it would get more attention than it has previously.

DigitalOp

Banned
I disagree. It wouldn't be enough to show that Sony has a long-term interest in making the system viable.

We can agree on that. I myself am not aware of Vita's longterm goals. Its not going to have to worry about them if they don't start pushing numbers either.

I do have a personal theory with Vita and PS4 working in tandem... If Vita can be marketed like that and get increased sales, then I think it can be saved as its standalone system.

If things remain as they are, Itll end up as a glorified remote play device / indie machine and we're left to buy any trickle down releases that end up our way....

So much for "the vita show"

pjsmnryj.jpg

yon61

What first party efforts? Sony's basically done nothing for the system. Heck, they outsourced one of their IPs to Nihilistic, to atrocious results.

The lion share of their resources have always been with PlayStation 4 though, there was never going to be the same treatment for the Vita. Even Nintendo are having trouble supporting both 3DS and Wii U

Mister D

Cool with me. I give zero fucks about the Vita or portable gaming in general really. Hopefully they do provide some stuff for the folks who did buy a Vita though.

Agent, The Getaway 3, Bioshock all Vita exclusive announced. Mark my words.

Talking about The Getaway. I know the PS2 games were garbage but if Sony could revive its own GTA-esque IP with more polish and refinements than the originals, it could be a huge hit for the vita.

Duxxy3

It's the vita show!

wait

It's the ps4 show!

All i know for sure is that there will be games and there will be announcements.

I always thought the Wii U was Nintendo's Vita.

The Crystal Pepsi of our generation.

"It was a tremendous learning experience. I still think it's the best idea I ever had, and the worst executed. A lot of times as a leader you think, "They don't get it; they don't see my vision." People were saying we should stop and address some issues along the way, and they were right. It would have been nice if I'd made sure the product tasted good. Once you have a great idea and you blow it, you don't get a chance to resurrect it."

Skyzard

Banned
I could swear this is old news. Can't find the thread but since the quote is from an expired competition and I remember reading posts along the lines of "Oh it's from a competition?", seems pretty likely.

I'm OK with my Vita turning into a second screen for my PS4. Bathroom trips will never be the same -- AGAIN!

It's not good to spend too long in the bathroom guys, bowel movements should be quick.

I understand people may enjoy the butt stuff, but better for your health. Also you'll have less shit particles in your lungs.

I simply can not believe the Vita disappointment in this thread...Its like this is your first Sony show. If you expect anything from Sony on the vita you are insane, even more-so with the PS4 launch right around the corner.
I want more Vita stuff as much as the next Vita owner but I gave up on any presence at these shows awhile ago.

Hopefully im wrong but if wonderbook has anything to say about it.........

Vita is Sony's WiiU. Amazing.

Only in sales not quality

Yeah im reaching.

The Crystal Pepsi of our generation.

"It was a tremendous learning experience. I still think it's the best idea I ever had, and the worst executed. A lot of times as a leader you think, "They don't get it; they don't see my vision." People were saying we should stop and address some issues along the way, and they were right. It would have been nice if I'd made sure the product tasted good. Once you have a great idea and you blow it, you don't get a chance to resurrect it."

Perfect for Wii U

Sean

Banned
Sony's final Vita push was probably holiday 2012 with Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed. I think they realized that if that didn't turn the system around, nothing will.

Vita is beyond saving.

I wouldn't read too much into either statement. I never read much into gamescom being a psvita show because it was said so far out from it and just seemed like cover your ass pr.

I've been expecting Gamescom being "a psvita show" means it'll have roughly the same treatment as at E3. If it's anything more then I suppose I will be pleasantly surprised.

It made perfect sense that Sony's going to focusing its attention & resources on their new baby, one that is more important to the success of SCE & Sony, in a market's that's more console-than-handheld.

A lot of Sony's internal resources are still tied up by the PS3, and with an upcoming next-gen console launching soon, there was no way in hell they were going to divert away anymore resources than they can afford to from the PS4.

Aside from Japanese 3rd-party studios and maybe parts of Japan Studio, I really don't think it's rational to have high expectations of Vita for the year or so, painful as it may be.

Elios83

Don't read too much into the statement IMO. It's just standard PR from the facebook guys :p
They don't even know what the announcements will be. Their PS4 show could even be "let's have an updated look at the E3 games once again".
I'd give much more credit to what top euro executives like Jim Ryan have stated.

Top Bottom