• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony has a time machine; patented 'Wii U' style tech for PS3/Vita in 2009

wsippel

Banned
Durante said:
Please explain your reasoning for both of those.
You don't develop something like this in a mere two years. And if you plan to use something, you don't publish the patent until the product in question is at the very least announced, if not out - you wouldn't want your competitors to know what you're up to years down the line, would you?

Chittagong

Gold Member
ps-vita-controller.jpg

Takao

Banned
wsippel said:
You don't develop something like this in a mere two years. And if you plan to use something, you don't publish the patent until the product in question is at the very least announced, if not out - you wouldn't want your competitors to know what you're up to years down the line, would you?

This was published last week even though it was filed in 2009. The product in question is the PlayStation Vita. Sony has hinted that they'd have Wii U like cross play with Vita, and in fact, 2009 would be the year Sony actually decided what they were going to do with Vita according to Yoshida.

onQ123

Takao said:
Singstar and a bunch of other games have Remote Play functions that work with PS3 to do some neat things. With Singstar while a person is playing a song you can choose the next song in the playlist on PSP.

I was talking about the different view point of the game using the handheld,

& yes I know they put remote play to use in a few games , but I think it will be used more now that they have more platforms with these type of setups & the touchscreen & motion sensing will add to the games in better ways than just have a extra screen like the PSP did.

supersaw said:
That is only a recent phenomenon, let's not forget that they were the last console company to embrace optical media as a storage method for their games...

So the Game Boy & the Virtual boy are recent phenomenons too?

Ellis Kim

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
Nintendo has the vision to see what's gonna work and what's not and follow it through.

Sony just throws everything to the wall but doesn't even look to see what stuck to it, and when they finally decide to do something (like the PSP-PS3 connectivity) they don't follow it to it's full potential.
That's unfair to say, seeing as how Vita's been in development since 2008.

Metalmurphy said:
You can't get it all right all the time.

and in 10 years we will have a 3ds theard with the title "The 3DS was a graphical BEAST, any other graphical beasts throughout console history?" and we will compare 3DS graphics with Dreamcast graphics again!

But I like how people acting like six years old kids "but... but... Nintendo was the first with the idea" "no... Sony had a techdemo 20 years ago"... bullshit! We know all Sega was the king!

Ellis Kim said:
That's unfair to say, seeing as how Vita's been in development since 2008.

Honestly, as appealing as the Vita is to me, and it is, BY ALOT. I don't think it's gonna be a success. Wouldn't shock me if it sold even less then the PSP.

wsippel

Banned
Takao said:
This was published last week even though it was filed in 2009. The product in question is the PlayStation Vita. Sony has hinted that they'd have Wii U like cross play with Vita, and in fact, 2009 would be the year Sony actually decided what they were going to do with Vita according to Yoshida.
Right, I just noticed it was published two years after the filing date. I assumed it was filed and published in 2009.

supersaw

Metalmurphy said:
Honestly, as appealing as the Vita is to me, and it is, BY ALOT. I don't think it's gonna be a success. Wouldn't shock me if it sold even less then the PSP.

I think it will fail because it ignores the dominion of smartphones as mobile gaming devices. Sony should have focused more towards the Xperia Play phone/console hybrids rather than a dedicated handheld.

supersaw said:
I think it will fail because it ignores the dominion of smartphones as mobile gaming devices. Sony should have focused more towards the Xperia Play phone/console hybrids rather than a dedicated handheld.

The battery life isn't good enough for something that has to double as a phone. Not if Sony want to keep up the visuals on their games.

Man

Chittagong said:
Kinda sad.
PS4/X1080 will be the result of coming out of all the ugliness of early HD maturation while Nintendo dives right into it for the next seven-eight years.

onQ123

supersaw said:

Vita embraces the smartphone gaming trend in every way, what are you talking about?

saichi

Takao said:

Do we know when Nintendo filed their patent?

Metalmurphy said:
Nintendo has the vision to see what's gonna work and what's not and follow it through.

Sony just throws everything to the wall but doesn't even look to see what stuck to it, and when they finally decide to do something (like the PSP-PS3 connectivity) they don't follow it to it's full potential.

I don't think that is it at all. I think Sony puts it out there and if it doesn't gain traction with third parties and consumers don't seem to care, then they let it go.

PSP- PS3 connectivity sounded cool at first but nothing that great came out of it, so I think people stopped caring after a while. The history of eyetoy is similar in which the regions that it did poorly in, Sony stopped pushing while they continued support in regions that took well to the camera.

Nintendo goes so far left that they make these unique properties the central driving feature of the console so it is do or die. So it is disingenuous to compare the two as if the features have the same importance on grand scale of things.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The fact that its a full on PSP makes me think that you could argue it was inspired by the GB link cable, and both the WiiU and the Sony system are extensions of that idea.

Its not a great argument, but it is an argument.

The_Technomancer said:
The fact that its a full on PSP makes me think that you could argue it was inspired by the GB link cable, and both the WiiU and the Sony system are extensions of that idea.

the idea to combine handheld and console is not that groundbreaking. yeah, Nintendo was the first with a solution but just because Nintedo was the only one with both devices. If Microsoft would release a own handheld, they would do the same thing, because is totally logical.

supersaw

onQ123 said:
Vita embraces the smartphone gaming trend in every way, what are you talking about?

It is another device you will need to carry alongside your telephone, it's a bit big for the pocket, it will not be subsidised by your cell phone company. Requires (in most cases) additional 3g plan if you want to access the online features on the go. Focuses on expensive wow-zy games rather than free to play and low cost arcade titles.

The_Technomancer said:

You could argue that, but Sega and SNK beat Nintendo to the punch on console-handheld linking with the Dreamcast Neo Geo pocket color link cable.

supersaw said:
It is another device you will need to carry alongside your telephone, it's a bit big for the pocket, it will not be subsidised by your cell phone company. Requires (in most cases) additional 3g plan if you want to access the online features on the go. Focuses on expensive wow-zy games rather than free to play and low cost arcade titles.

So why did Apple introduce the iPod touch and iPad when they'd already built their wonder-phone that suits everyones desires?

Hell Sony did the whole video streaming to handheld screen thing long ago, as far back as 2006 with the PS3-PSP Remote Play feature.

The idea behind the Wii U is not new. It's the implementation (standard controller + zero perceivable latency) that is new.

Cipherr

Graphics Horse said:
So why did Apple introduce the iPod touch and iPad when they'd already built their wonder-phone that suits everyones desires?

You are going to get crushed in this argument if you decide to try and push it. You are way off the mark. It would help if the additional devices you mentioned were actually phones btw. His point is that the device has to be carried in addition to a phone you already have. If I have an iphone 5, Im not going to buy an iPod touch to complement it, that makes zero sense. And I would buy an iPad because its a device that fills a void between a netbook and a smartphone...

The PSVita does not. So Im not even sure why you dragged Tablet PC's into this.

supersaw

Graphics Horse said:

Apple is no great promoter of mobile gaming, Jobs played it down many times so I don't think many if any of their decisions were influenced / governed by it.

I don't see how this negates or even relates to any of the points I made.

BurntPork

Banned
Man said:
Kinda sad.
PS4/X1080 will be the result of coming out of all the ugliness of early HD maturation while Nintendo dives right into it for the next seven-eight years.
Because that Zelda demo totally looked like a first-gen HD title.

My god, people here really suffer from short-term memory when it comes to graphics...

BurntPork

Banned
Meisadragon said:
That was a tech demo, right?
Yes, a real-time tech demo made on unfinished hardware. It was probably made in a very short time as well.

Nintendo has probably had R&D teams working with current-gen assets for years. If they honestly manage to make games that look on-par with first-gen PS3 and 360 games, then Nintendo needs to get their priorities straight. Just because they sometimes act like they live in a bubble doesn't mean that they actually think they do.

supersaw said:
Apple is no great promoter of mobile gaming, Jobs played it down many times so I don't think many if any of their decisions were influenced / governed by it.

I don't see how this negates or even relates to any of the points I made.

I was just saying there's room on the market for various touch screen devices, which are all capable of running the smartphone games without being a smartphone. Sony might go in the direction of a Vita phone in the future though, if they can get the size down.

I'd like a future where mini tablets get more widespread and phones go back to being tiny single purpose things, so I might be biased there.

Sheesh, Please read the first post at least guys, this is about matching and adapting the TV image to the handheld image, not screened controllers in general. Nintendo is doing something slightly different because theirs doesn't have a rear camera, but it's mostly the same idea.

Could anyone who dares delve into the patent-speak tell me if they're using image recognition to sync to the TV display? Thanks.

edit: never mind, they are indeed.
The PED is arranged to detect the television image (reference image) or part of an image within the field of view of the window. This may be achieved in one or more ways. In some examples, the PS3 machine causes markers such as a coloured boundary to be displayed as part of the television image. In other examples, the PS3 machine sends a version of its currently displayed television image to the PED so that the PED can correlate it against its own captured image. The examples are:

i. For a whole TV image, simply identify a bright rectangle or trapezoid (accounting for perspective) within the field of view (an arbitrarily shaped bright region may instead be detected as corresponding to a partial TV image);
ii. For all or part of a TV image having a predetermined colour border (e.g. a border inserted or placed into the images by the PS3 machine generating those images), identify a boundary of that particular colour; and/or
iii. For all or part of a TV image, correlate the captured image with a (optionally scaled down) version of the currently displayed reference image received from the PS3 machine, to identify which part of the field of view corresponds to the TV image (or conversely which part of the TV image corresponds to the field of view).

Goddam patent-speak.

FyreWulff

onQ123 said:
Speaking of Wii U why haven't there been much speaking of Wii U lately , (I want more new info)

Nintendo's gonna let the Wii and Skyward Sword have the spotlight for the holiday season. Most of the Wii U discussion is/will be behind closed doors with developers. You don't want to Osborne the Wii too hard.

You're probably going to start seeing Wii U public discussion ramp up around GDC and then TO THE MOON for E3 2012.

FoxSpirit

Cipherr said:
You are going to get crushed in this argument if you decide to try and push it. You are way off the mark. It would help if the additional devices you mentioned were actually phones btw. His point is that the device has to be carried in addition to a phone you already have. If I have an iphone 5, Im not going to buy an iPod touch to complement it, that makes zero sense. And I would buy an iPad because its a device that fills a void between a netbook and a smartphone...

The PSVita does not. So Im not even sure why you dragged Tablet PC's into this.
Ohhhh, scary.
I'll buy a Vita and like it. End of story.
Btw, my subsidised Galaxy S-II was 199 Euro. Cheap.

jaypah

These patents don't really mean shit to me. It's like your drunk uncle screaming at a Billy Mays infomercial that he came up with the same idea back in college. Hey unc, next time have some fucking ambition.

Well, except Sony eventually does make a better Slap-Chop.

Cipherr

FoxSpirit said:
Ohhhh, scary.
I'll buy a Vita and like it. End of story.
Btw, my subsidised Galaxy S-II was 199 Euro. Cheap.

Noone said you couldn't buy a handheld and enjoy it, and the carrier subsidized cost of your phone has zero to do with anything in this conversation. Next time only use the quote option when you have something that's actually relevant to say.

Momo

Banned
jaypah said:
These patents don't really mean shit to me. It's like your drunk uncle screaming at a Billy Mays infomercial that he came up with the same idea back in college. Hey unc, next time have some fucking ambition.

Well, except Sony eventually does make a better Slap-Chop.
If you don't believe patents mean anything, browse OT.

Atomski said:
Won't PS Vita to PS3 have some sort of imput/stream lag compared to the tech of the Wii U?

No, Bluetooth connection is fast enough and you can use the Vita hardware for 3d graphics. You can without any problems use more than one Vita at the same time.

Top Bottom