• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony has had a patent approved for a “direct to consumer micro transaction store front, targeted by AI”

Nothing is worse than Xbox charging people $30 to have rechargeable batteries.

MilkyJoe

Once more for the court

ENELOOPS

Kagey K

Banned
9eSEHc1.png

close enough
The irony of this post is that wasn’t even a MS patent. It was a a Sony one that people memed to make it look like a MIcrosoft one.

Handel

Reminds me of how Sony was looking at DRM prior to Microsoft getting slammed for it. Sony will always try to hide this kind of thing, to keep their fanboys sucking on that "pure" nip, that only wants the best for their big, strong, mature boys!

Handel

As for the actual patent, it is very predatory as most MXT are, and it's aimed mainly at children as they have no issue plainly showing. If this was a built-in hint system for convenience sake it'd be whatever though an unnecessary add in for the vast majority of people with how fast our phones can provide info. As is, this is a dangerous road to go down, and if they go through with it I hope governments step in as they did with EA and SWBF2.

Don't be like EA, Sony.

SleepDoctor

Banned

Fanboy back to trying to derail the thread 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Three

So it’s easier to buy the tools and the proper battery online, then it is to go to the store and buy AAs and pop the cover off?

Or buy a play and charge kit?

This has to be trolling now.
He means if they are not paying for the batteries why isn't it cheaper

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I blame Apple. Microtransactions existed long before, but after Apple came up with the App Store, that's when the floodgates opened. And then "gacha" gaming came via mobile. Although now it's everywhere.

And it's not going anywhere. As long as people fund this crap with their own money, which they do.

Last edited:

Bandi

Banned
Can someone explain to me how this is #4theplayers and how this is a good thing for gaming and for the gamers?

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
9eSEHc1.png

close enough
There's a tiny problem with your post. It's not a Microsoft patent, it's another Sony patent.

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

There's a tiny problem with your post. It's not a Microsoft patent, it's another Sony patent.

That's ok, it was a joke post anyway

FranXico

Reminds me of how Sony was looking at DRM prior to Microsoft getting slammed for it. Sony will always try to hide this kind of thing, to keep their fanboys sucking on that "pure" nip, that only wants the best for their big, strong, mature boys!
It's common knowledge that Sony also looked into DRM early on. They just folded and settled for X360 style DRM right away because they couldn't get the same kind of infrastructure that MS had in place. Which is one of the reasons EA and others were overwhelmingly supporting the X1 in the beginning of the generation. It was very fortunate for Sony that consumers rose against it.

Now that those facts are out of the way, can you please stop projecting your own fanatical impulses?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It's common knowledge that Sony also looked into DRM early on. They just folded and settled for X360 style DRM right away because they couldn't get the same kind of infrastructure that MS had in place. Which is one of the reasons EA and others were overwhelmingly supporting the X1 in the beginning of the generation. It was very fortunate for Sony that consumers rose against it.

Now that those facts are out of the way, can you please stop projecting your own fanatical impulses?

That's bullshit. PS Plus DRM (around since mid-gen PS3) implemented across the board would have been sufficient.

Not to mention that "common knowledge" is a massive exaggeration, bordering on disinformation. Future (unimplemented) business-plans are rarely common knowledge for obvious reasons, so basically its mostly conjecture and innuendo as to the exact nature, scope and intentions of what was under consideration.

I'm sorry but that whole rumor always struck me a self-serving fiction propagated by MS fanboys and shills trying desperately to make their side look less culpable and throw shade (insinuations of incompetence) at Sony at the same time.

Jeepers ... the outrage. But unless you've been living under a rock this past decade, this is already ingrained into more than just PS kit (albeit not in Next-Gen form). Press Circle on your gamepad to get rid of the annyoance and continue on. your merry way. He prob has a digital assistant in his gaff too... that shit is hundred times worse

Last edited:
Just because there is a patent does not mean that the feature will be implemented. That being said, the idea seems pretty fleshed out.

Pretty scummy if you ask me. Anyone defending this needs their head examined. This is an idea that would make Activision and EA have a wet dream.

Sure some of the idea could be used for free things, but anyone with a brain knows what it really is for.

I looked a little more into it and found this YouTube video that goes into the topic by someone that covers these kinds of topics. I will take a wait and see approach for now unless more comes to light.

Top Bottom