• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony has had a patent approved for a “direct to consumer micro transaction store front, targeted by AI”

lock2k

Banned
CDI_Link_Image.png

Oh, boy!

CeeJay

It isn't a patent about microtransactions. That's people guessing how a company could use the technology to do that theoretically.

And it just a patent that probably will never be even implemented - like most patents like this.

Be pissed when something like this actually exists and is used in nefarious ways. But until then you guys are making shit up to be upset over.

And the reverse is true. The majority of people "upset" over this imaginary scenario wouldn't be if it was Microsoft instead of Sony.
This isn't guessing and extrapolating, it's literally the example used in the patent.

CeeJay

Yes, example.

People are worked up over nothing. Talk about being concerned for the sake of being concerned.
Haha, you guys! Sure it might not come to anything but to just brush it off as nothing is as bad as going too far the other way. If anything it signifies an appetite for intent.

Psykodad

Banned
Haha, you guys! Sure it might not come to anything but to just brush it off as nothing is as bad as going too far the other way. If anything it signifies an appetite for intent.
I'm aware that it opens the door to pushing mtx, but if you take the time to read it mentions more than just a focus on selling you extras.
It could also be applied to hint systems, ingame recommendations of gear, whatever.
It's literally described in the patent.

It's clearly focused on retaining player engagement.
As long as it doesn't result in extremely aggressive in-yo-face ads and mtx filling every menu and half your HUD, I don't see anything inherently wrong with the system.

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

That's not true at all. You don't replace a DualShock when the battery dies because any DIY method can make the controller functional again.

The fact that the Xbox Controller adopted the backwards AA battery method for the One was honestly pure greed. The Dualshock 4 has better value than the Xbox controller overall.

Wtf are you talking about? I've had the same 4 eneloops for the last 7 years. Fuck me the drivel that comes out of your mouth 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Not that I'm particularly fond of micro-transactions, but that system sounds like a win-win for both parties, if you ask me.

Makes perfect sense to implement it. Should be industry standard, because if they are adding mtx might as well make sure the consumer has the most relevant content with as little losses possible, while maximizing user-engagement for the company (Sony in this case).

Amazing how Sony fans will defend absolutely ANYTHING they do.

wolffy71

Banned
Wtf are you talking about? I've had the same 4 eneloops for the last 7 years. Fuck me the drivel that comes out of your mouth 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

Eneloops are really the best option for any controller. I can't conceive a simple drawback. You don't buy normal batteries, they're pretty cheap, last a long damn time, and theres no issue with needing to replace the controller, or mess with a battery pack. Buy 4 eneloops and simple wall charger, swap as needed, done.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Not that I'm particularly fond of micro-transactions, but that system sounds like a win-win for both parties, if you ask me.

Makes perfect sense to implement it. Should be industry standard, because if they are adding mtx might as well make sure the consumer has the most relevant content with as little losses possible, while maximizing user-engagement for the company (Sony in this case).

Anything that helps Sony harpoon those whales, huh?

NickFire

A simple page / category for micro transactions available for games in the library is enough for me. Using AI to sell them just screams "this is not a good thing" to me.

Aidah

Oh wow, as if microtransactions in a single player game isn't already a joke in itself.

"the methodology players use to find suitable or effective items for making progress within a game has not kept pace"

The methodology I use is to actually play the game.

Anyway, I think games that are intended to be beatable by anyone are already beatable by anyone. The only potential real benefit to a hint system like this to me is if it reduces the default handholding that's already in a lot of games.

Last edited:

Kagero

At the end of the day, it's still a choice people. They are going to try and sell you shit, but you don't have to buy it. Jeez!

Aidah

That's not true at all. You don't replace a DualShock when the battery dies because any DIY method can make the controller functional again.

The fact that the Xbox Controller adopted the backwards AA battery method for the One was honestly pure greed. The Dualshock 4 has better value than the Xbox controller overall.
One of the "big" upgrades in the new Elite controller is a built-in battery. LOL.

Animagic

Banned
At the end of the day, it's still a choice people. They are going to try and sell you shit, but you don't have to buy it. Jeez!

I remember hearing similar arguments when horse armor first happened. Now look where we are. This industry’s greed has zero chill.
I’m not going to make a big fuss, I just won’t buy any of their shit. Full stop.

This is up there with one time use discs before the Xbox one launched as garbage ideas that will be misused and adopted rapidly on the new consoles. Big red flag for me, personally.
Enjoy closing boost ads in every game at critical moments of gameplay while they make it take the player exponentially longer to complete any tasks without buying add-ons as they progress.

Last edited:

NickFire

Yes, completely true. But when the games are designed to be virtually unbeatable without paying for most people, and a little screen pops up after 10 fails, it's like offering water to dying man in the desert. Its predatory, and the fact we could say no does not change that. And I also fear the games will become more and more designed to essentially require them.

wolffy71

Banned
Yes, completely true. But when the games are designed to be virtually unbeatable without paying for most people, and a little screen pops up after 10 fails, it's like offering water to dying man in the desert. Its predatory, and the fact we could say no does not change that. And I also fear the games will become more and more designed to essentially require them.

Devs will probably push it as far as they can until gamers get sick of it

NickFire

Devs will probably push it as far as they can until gamers get sick of it
Then they'll push it even further. And then some dev with a failed game will be like "maybe we shouldn't have gone so micro-transaction heavy." And then a group of free thinkers will say that's crazy, micro-transactions are good and it was just a shitty game.

MilkyJoe

Can we drop the fanboy drivel for once (on both sides) and actually focus on the patent/subject of OP...

As previously mentioned this sounds like a fairly interesting AI similar to Siri, and while yes Micro transactions are mentioned, its mentioned pertaining to the store front AKA.PSN. Where I might point ot MT already exist in abundance lol

This simply sounds like a companion AI that will bring up tips, vids and yes perhaps microtransactions if the player requests them...can we wait for actual scummy behavior before we weild our torches!

The irony of the intro here 😂🤣😂 look at the bloody picture, man.

Pallas

Seems out of touch, especially when you can easily gather the same info for free by YouTubing or even checking out the guide on Gamefaq, ign or whatever other game site for free on how to beat x boss or complete x puzzle.
Reminds me of the PlayStation tip line that would charge you per tip back in the PS1 days.

Last edited:

Kagero

I see your point, but I still stick to my original comment. It is what it is. Never purchased a single DLC and never will. I see nothing wrong with this sort of business. It's still a choice.

LMJ

The irony of the intro here 😂🤣😂 look at the bloody picture, man.

Which one MilkyJoe (sounds like an insult, is not lol)? Fig #2 the patent pic?

And I'm referring to the "no my controller is best" silliness on page one and continued from there

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

Which one MilkyJoe (sounds like an insult, is not lol)? Fig #2 the patent pic?

And I'm referring to the "no my controller is best" silliness on page one and continued from there
I'm referring to your "wait and see" when it says

rDKuP2K.png

NickFire

I see your point, but I still stick to my original comment. It is what it is. Never purchased a single DLC and never will. I see nothing wrong with this sort of business. It's still a choice.
Mad respect to your will power. Mine is decent, but when I play after a few hours drinking, I often wake up with "thank you for your purchase" emails that I'm scared to open. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

LMJ

MilkyJoe MilkyJoe I clearly state that it may indeed lead to microtransactions, but it also could be referring to an in game resource IE the Turret Gun in Ratchet and Clank...

Hell likely both, but getting angry and booing what we haven't seen yet make no sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alx

Aidah

MilkyJoe MilkyJoe I clearly state that it may indeed lead to microtransactions, but it also could be referring to an in game resource IE the Turret Gun in Ratchet and Clank...

Hell likely both, but getting angry and booing what we haven't seen yet make no sense.
It is both, as it clearly mentions. However, it's true that it's just a patent for now.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: LMJ

Psykodad

Banned

Don't bother.
People are so up in arms that they completely ignore any rational thought.

For example, the patent mentions it could use data gathered from multiple players and the put it next to the players data to help find the best upgrades.
Upgrades could mean something like paid unlocks, but it could very well mean suggestions for upgrade paths in a rpg or weapon systen or whatever to complement the users playstyle.
(all literally mentioned in the patent)

But even the slightest mention of "Store" and it's all doom and gloom.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: LMJ

MilkyJoe

Give it a rest, you tart. It's right there 😂

zeorhymer

What's the big deal? The patent just creates a method on how to get past certain areas of game so that players can continue playing.

Kid: Hey PS how do I beat the boss?
PS: From all the other people who beat the boss, you can do:
  1. use XYZ in your inventory.
  2. use XYZ, but you don't have any in the invetory. Buy from the store.
  3. use XYZ, but you don't have any in the inventory, use 123 instead.
This is much better than the EA one where newbies are matched up with people with paid items and have the newbies subconsciously buy them thinking they'll get kills.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Makes sense.

Unskippable cut scenes. Pay $5 to skip

Make character walk faster. Pay $10 to make him jog

QTE fights. Pay $15 to automatically win button press battles

Last edited:

LMJ

MilkyJoe MilkyJoe
Lol "tart" I like that, funny insult, and guilty until proven innocent...always a good mindset, have you considered a field in politics...I mean the Dems are desperate right now 🐸

Top Bottom