• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony has had a patent approved for a “direct to consumer micro transaction store front, targeted by AI”

Psykodad

Banned
This is going to be good. Just sit back and read the warriors justify this one lol.

OT: All this restructuring and dumbass patents we're seeing, coupled with Sony exclusives possibly going to pc are definitely not good signs of the times to come.

Worst part is, Microsoft will probably follow suit if this happens. So it'll become a standard.
A system like that should be a standard.

Nowhere does it state that it is designed specifically to push microtransactions to the consumer.
It could also be used for ingame hints, or RNG, or whatever.

Did people even read the OP, or just applied it to MTX exclusively?

I would've loved something like that system in games like Destiny or The Division.
Especially the former, because their RNG-system is absolute trash (at least for D1).

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
A system like that should be a standard.

Nowhere does it state that it is designed specifically to push microtransactions to the consumer.
It could also be used for ingame hints, or RNG, or whatever.

Did people even read the OP, or just applied it to MTX exclusively?

I would've loved something like that system in games like Destiny or The Division.
Especially the former, because their RNG-system is absolute trash (at least for D1).

"Resource x, buy now"

No thanks. I get stuck or whatever in a game, i use youtube. At every turn they wanna sell you some bullshit. Don't care for it, we have enough with all the nickel and diming we have already.

Can someone please explain how you can defend this? How you can say that this is a good thing? Honestly, I would love to understand.
And before answering: ask yourself: would you still think that this is a good thing, if Microsoft did the exact same thing?

Convenience

lol2EZ

Psykodad

Banned
"Resource x, buy now"

No thanks. I get stuck or whatever in a game, i use youtube. At every turn they wanna sell you some bullshit. Don't care for it, we have enough with all the nickel and diming we have already.
"resource x, buy now" is an example.
Read the text in the OP. It goes for far more than just mtx.

honestly if anyone is stupid enough to pay for tips in the age of the internet and free guides everywhere then they deserve it.

SleepDoctor

Banned
"resource x, buy now" is an example.
Read the text in the OP. It goes for far more than just mtx.

"Far more"

In game ads. Is the best way to sum it up.

Tell me more how this is a plus. Full fledged $60 games with in game ads targeted by ai.

Absolutely nothing positive about this.

Psykodad

Banned
"Far more"

Tell me more how this is a plus. Full fledged $60 games with in game ads targeted by ai.

Well, if that's what you want read, be my guest.

Nothing in the text shows it's specifically designed for micro-transactions and/or ads, but a system that improves suggestions for the player in whatever way (multiple examples are given within the text) by collecting userdata.

Just because that Darkx01 guy tweeted it is a MTX system doesn't make it fact.
Especially since it's coming from one of the DF guys, who are semi-MS shills.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Well, bad thing that people cannot be trusted and companies have to babysit them. Isntead of thinking staying alive. Because if they do not have to that, it would be probably button on the controller, because we learned that voice commands are absolutely worst way to do this.
Wish that Ethanol lobby, would be held to such standard.

That's not true at all. You don't replace a DualShock when the battery dies because any DIY method can make the controller functional again.

The fact that the Xbox Controller adopted the backwards AA battery method for the One was honestly pure greed. The Dualshock 4 has better value than the Xbox controller overall.
That like there, you must be proud : D
If you know what I mean

Last edited:

Fake

67b.jpg

Max_Po

Banned
DF biggest drama queens ... will hold nuts for clicks..

Rdr2

FPs during cut scene drops by 2 fps ... 25 fps on xbox and 27 fps on xbox 1x

4% performance drop on "original model" xbox..

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
Well, if that's what you want read, be my guest.

Nothing in the text shows it's specifically designed for micro-transactions and/or ads, but a system that improves suggestions for the player in whatever way (multiple examples are given within the text) by collecting userdata.

Just because that Darkx01 guy tweeted it is a MTX system doesn't make it fact.
Especially since it's coming from one of the DF guys, who are semi-MS shills.

I don't care who tweeted it. Something coming up on my tv telling "80% of players like you used x item to defeat this boss" is an ad.

If this was ms you'd be slandering this shit. I find it difficult to believe you don't know what an ad is or looks like.

Vawn

Banned
Lol at how many hoops MicroGAF will jump through to make something out of nothing just to have ammo against PlayStation.

First, this is just a patent. Every company has tons of random patents that are not even seriously considered and never amount to anything.

Last edited:

LMJ

Can we drop the fanboy drivel for once (on both sides) and actually focus on the patent/subject of OP...

As previously mentioned this sounds like a fairly interesting AI similar to Siri, and while yes Micro transactions are mentioned, its mentioned pertaining to the store front AKA.PSN. Where I might point ot MT already exist in abundance lol

This simply sounds like a companion AI that will bring up tips, vids and yes perhaps microtransactions if the player requests them...can we wait for actual scummy behavior before we weild our torches!

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
wow this is the kind of shit that made the xbox one gather so much hate at launch.
if sony actually uses this shit. I hope it explodes in their faces,

disgusting

EQGLctZX0AApLF-.jpg%3Alarge

i mean just look at this shit?
what twat sat behind a desk and thought
HEY LET'S FUCK IT ALL UP

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
Lol at how many hoops MicroGAF will jump through to make something out of nothing just to have ammo against PlayStation.

First, this is just a patent. Every company has tons of random patents that are not even seriously considered and never amount to anything.

"Microgaf" lol.....

"Jumping through hoops"

"Just to have 'ammo' against playstation"

Ladies and gentlemen, this is a "grown" man talking and he really thinks there's some kind of "war" going on 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

This is why i barely entertain threads like this. It almost feels like im trying to have a discussion with 12 year old.

Nero_PR

Banned
I prefer the shape of the DS4 but the build quality is utter garbage. I had four of them, which seems to be pretty standard among my friends. They break constantly.
I have 5. I got 4 to work again with spare parts. The most common problem was the sticks getting stuck in one set position (had to replace one set completely, resoldering and all), but almost all were in need of a lubricant between the stick mechanism. 3 of them got the sticks rubbers destroyed with time (my brothers' controllers), my other 2 are pristine since I don't button mash or put my fingers out of the sticks that much when playing fps and other games.

But I have to agree with you that the build quality (especially for the sticks and the rubbers) are bad.

GymWolf

How is that?
A-symmetrical sticks is for the physically challenged, so it speaks for itself.
shit battery life
mediocre quality construction (i have a firm grip, i don't wanna hear microsounds from controller plastics)
shitty rubber melting cover for analog sticks
hideous led
almost useless touchpad
too small
shitty quality usb recharge port, i have 3 ds4 and they are all filmsy as fuck, never had this problem with M controller
non symmetrical stick are far better for tps and fps and they are better quality in M controller

Last edited:
Remember when everyone said the PS5 was gonna be a cloud-based hybrid console based on Sony patents?

I 'member.

I generally don't freak out about tech company patents, first and foremost, as a massive percentage of them don't see the light of day, it's just a company laying official claim to an idea. That being said, while MTs are one of the things involved in this, it's hardly all it's designed for, and to pretend otherwise is disingenuous. Sucks that it IS part of it, but it's clearly not the sole purpose.

Nero_PR

Banned
shit battery life
mediocre quality construction (i have a firm grip, i don't wanna hear microsounds from controller plastics)
shitty rubber melting cover for analog sticks
hideous led
almost useless touchpad
too small
shitty quality usb recharge port, i have 3 ds4 and they are all filmsy as fuck, never had this problem with M controller
non symmetrical stick are far better for tps and fps and they are better quality in M controller
Too small was just the right size for my small man hands hahaha. That was a plus for me. The non-symmetrical sticks are also subjective (I like them both). For the rest, you have a valid point.

Psykodad

Banned
I don't care who tweeted it. Something coming up on my tv telling "80% of players like you used x item to defeat this boss" is an ad.

If this was ms you'd be slandering this shit. I find it difficult to believe you don't know what an ad is or looks like.
I know what an ad is. The description of this system just doesn't state it is specifically designed to push mtx or ads.

That's what you make of it, is all I'm saying.

No idea what it has to do with MS either.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
it's still serving shit to Your customers. You just send a toilet over to me, so I can poop more easily

splattered

Ha I was guilty of calling in the capcom helpline when I was young because I couldn't figure out how to beat the plant monster boss in resident evil.

But I am against this.

Why hasn't anyone created a companion app that would allow you to pull up a full digital walkthrough guide that you can thumb through with your controller for like 10 or 15 bucks?

I know physical print is dying why hasn't someone like prima guides created a system like this where they can still create in depth guides and make money on it?

wolffy71

Banned
It wouldnt make sense to patent a concept that just makes suggestions about the game. Thats basically what games already do. This sounds like it adds itself to whatever game is being played. In fairness i didnt read all of it. Am i wrong here?

-Troid-

Banned

This is a patent about Microtransactions, the chances of it being implemented are pretty damn high. Pretty sure people would be pissed if MS or Ninty did it instead/also.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
That's not true at all. You don't replace a DualShock when the battery dies because any DIY method can make the controller functional again.

The fact that the Xbox Controller adopted the backwards AA battery method for the One was honestly pure greed. The Dualshock 4 has better value than the Xbox controller overall.

You do realize that most consumers would just toss the controller if the battery died right?

Saruhashi

Banned
Can someone please explain how you can defend this? How you can say that this is a good thing? Honestly, I would love to understand.
And before answering: ask yourself: would you still think that this is a good thing, if Microsoft did the exact same thing?

Depends on what you mean by "defend" and if you are making a correlation between "defending" and "saying it's a good thing".

I can think that this is not good while also "defending" it.

It seems like common sense to me that corporations will try to "upsell" as often as they can.

On a recent city break I would say that I was subjected to up-selling every single step of the way. From booking the flights to just going out for a goddamn meal. It can be annoying in some instances but I find it to be easily ignored when I am not interested and actually good in cases where I am like "oh actually I do want that, thanks".

Is a situation like this good for gaming?
I don't think so. I think it makes games feel a bit cheaper and a bit sleazier.
It's cool to have a game over screen that maybe offers a hint. Not cool for a game over screen to have "press X to buy EXP booster pack".

It's mind bending to me that Ubisoft has a "time savers" option on their Assassin's Creed games. Like they literally have an option for you to pay to finish the game more quickly. How sad is that? "Listen we know our game is a bit boring but for 9.99 you could skip a lot of it". Jesus.

At the same time if Sony understands their user base and thinks that this is a profitable possibility then I really don't have much I can say.
They have the right to do this if they want to. So in that sense I would "defend" it.

Really it's up to us to not pay if we aren't interested and if it is really bad then just stop buying games from that publisher. It's the only thing you can realistically do.

The days of just going down to the shop and buying your game are long gone.
Now it's all deluxe editions and ultimate editions etc etc.
We can complain that it kind of ruins the overall experience and I think that's valid.
If most customers are cool with it and also are handing over money to get these "benefits" and "extras" then I can't really say it's wrong.

All about preferences at the end of the day.

Saruhashi

Banned
Also why do I get the feeling that one day down the line Sony is going to be asking me if I want to pay 10 bucks a month to disable ads?

Shin

Banned
Also why do I get the feeling that one day down the line Sony is going to be asking me if I want to pay 10 bucks a month to disable ads?
They have a patent for in-game ads, who knows how far that can go.
Though all dislikes aside, I personally can get behind convenience just like a smartphone, internet or online shopping.
That's just me though, the world is heading in that direction, couple of forum posters isn't going to change that IMO.

yurinka

I see a use of this in games like Monster Hunter, where you sometimes don't know that a monster is of a certain type so certain type of weapons and armors (let's say fire ones). You may ask for a hint, the system would recognize that a big % of players defeat this enemy by using fire weapons and would show it to you, maybe also highlighting directly the item when looking at the in-game shop.

The patent mentions real money payments as a possibility, but also in-game money or not using money at all. I think they just wanted to cover all the options with the patent, doesn't mean they will use everything they patent.

This is a patent about Microtransactions, the chances of it being implemented are pretty damn high. Pretty sure people would be pissed if MS or Ninty did it instead/also.
No, isn't a patent about microtransactions, it's a patent about using AI to give in-game hints by taking into consideration what other players did to achieve that objective (like killing a certain enemy), by focusing on resources or items needed to achieve it. And to do it by 'presenting the resource to the player via the device for immediate use by the player in response to a selection of the resource by the player'. Depending on the case, it also may highlight it to you in the inventory or in-game shop (both in the cases where the shop uses real money or in-game money).

Microtransactions is only of several cases covered by the patent, which focuses on the usage of AI and data from other players to provide to the player customized game hints on demand.

It wouldnt make sense to patent a concept that just makes suggestions about the game. Thats basically what games already do. This sounds like it adds itself to whatever game is being played. In fairness i didnt read all of it. Am i wrong here?
This patent is basically this, an example for Monster Hunter or similar:
-"Hey PlayStation, how can I defeat the giant enemy ice crab?"
...AI checks the monster, its stats and the items that other players did use to beat him...
-"This is an ice monster, 80% of the players who killed it did use fire weapons so you can use these ones that you have in the inventory for massive damage"
... Opens the inventory and hightlight your fire weapons...
-"If you run out of these weapons or don't have any of them, you can buy it in the shop of that village of the ancient history"
... Opens the map and highlights the location of the shop, or if you are in the shop it highlights the fire weapons...
-"Players also did use an average of 3 potions to defeat this monster and you only have 2 in the inventory, so I suggest you to buy some of them or earn them by killing X,Y,Z enemies."
...Opens the shop and highlights the potions

Until they start charging 99c per hint. Like phoning the Nintendo hotline back in the day. 😉
The patent doesn't say anything about charging per hint. Only covers the case where the resource or item that people often use to achieve that goal that you are asking help to solve (like to kill a certain enemy) is bought in a shop (both using in-game money or real money), it may highlight the item inside that shop.

Last edited:

fallingdove

I know you are among those that immediately jump to console warz with an article like this. Frankly I am surprised that this wasn’t posted by currypanda...

So there is a more intelligent way to search the ps store, so what? if people want to support micros transactions, they are going to support micro transactions regardless of how relevant or convenient the search capabilities are.

But this function (patent) is not only limited to micro transactions. I could ask for it to recommend me games in certain genres, or quickly find out what the free PS+ games are without browsing the store or searching the internet. If the AI is dialed in, recommendations could take into account my play style, what types of games I typically play, which games I usually finish.

Of all of the legitimate PlayStation criticisms (and there are many as of late) this isn’t one of them.

Last edited:
It's an interesting idea that could be leveraged to show the player a replay from among their friends (Sony patented that tech, too) or to bring them to a community page with similar questions/roadblocks that they can browse. The utility for fact-finding and for socialization is pretty cool.

However I expect the system to be imperfect (that's not a profound statement). I imagine myself playing the game and getting one of those Wii-esque "isn't it time to take a break?" interruptions but instead of recommending a break it's a suggestion to buy something from PSN. Yuck.

Saruhashi

Banned
They have a patent for in-game ads, who knows how far that can go.
Though all dislikes aside, I personally can get behind convenience just like a smartphone, internet or online shopping.
That's just me though, the world is heading in that direction, couple of forum posters isn't going to change that IMO.

Definitely this is the way things are going. Link your card up and then you can get whatever as soon as possible.

The thing is that with games like Fortnite being so massively successful and making so much money you could argue that this is something that large sections of the gaming public actually want.

Get the game and then have the option to buy outfits etc.
Not my cup of tea but people seem to enjoy it.

The vast amounts of money being made in mobile gaming suggests that many people are completely on board with all this.

yurinka

The patend has nothing to do with in-game ads. This system would appear on demand of the player, who would ask for help to an AI to do something. It's some sort of gaming focused Alexa/Siri that takes into consideration your in-game context and how other players achieved the what you are asking to the AI to solve:

"The method provides an operation for processing a query from a device of a player of a video game, where the query is related to completing an objective by advancing to a subsequent state from a current state in the video game "

As an example, it mentions the query “how do I level up?”. Another case are the examples I mentioned above, asking something like 'how do I defeat Charmander?' or another would be 'where can I find that resource or item?'.

Vawn

Banned

It isn't a patent about microtransactions. That's people guessing how a company could use the technology to do that theoretically.

And it just a patent that probably will never be even implemented - like most patents like this.

Be pissed when something like this actually exists and is used in nefarious ways. But until then you guys are making shit up to be upset over.

And the reverse is true. The majority of people "upset" over this imaginary scenario wouldn't be if it was Microsoft instead of Sony.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

WiNOtRS.png

Title
(EN) IN-GAME RESOURCE SURFACING PLATFORM

Abstract
(EN)
Technology is described for surfacing contextually related resources to a player of a video game by way of a surfacing platform. In a method embodiment, an operation processes a query from a player of a video game that is related to completing an objective. The method includes operations for processing game data of the player for determining a current state and processing game data of other players that have completed the objective. The method further includes operations for identifying successful attempts of completing the objective by other players and the resources used in doing so. The method selects a resource that is usable by the player to complete the objective based on those resources by the other players in the successful attempts and presents the resource to the player for immediate use.

Field of the Disclosure

[0001] The present disclosure relates generally to video games, and more particularly, to methods and systems for surfacing contextually relevant in-game resources to players that are in need of help during gameplay.

Background

[0002] Many video-games have hundreds to thousands of individual items for users to earn, find, or purchase, and use within the video game. Some of these include tools, armor, skins, vehicles, consumables, etc. There are also hundreds to thousands of individual game titles available to players on many popular platforms such as PlayStation®, personal computers (PC), and mobile devices. This results in a selection of items that is far more vast for players of present than that for players of just a few product cycles ago. While both the range of in-game items as well as the number of game titles has steadily increased over the years, the methodology players use to find suitable or effective items for making progress within a game has not kept pace.

[0003] For example, a player generally must rely on a combination of trial and error, guesswork, and research such as by asking a friend when deciding on which item, add-on, or upgrade to obtain in order to achieve a goal. Even then, the player may have to experiment with a number of items, add-ons, and/or upgrades, before arriving at one that is most effective for their particular objective, character, style of play, etc. Thus, there is currently a disconnect between players and the resources available to them within a game, and more particularly those resources most suitable for the individual player’s circumstances, character, and playstyle. When players become frustrated with their repeated failures to accomplish some objective, there is a higher likelihood that the player will quit the game and not experience the totality of what the game is intended to offer. There is thus a need and a benefit to develop and integrate an in-game platform to match players with those resources that are most likely to help them succeed in view of the player’s playstyle and behavior both within the game in question as well as across a plurality of additional games the player participates in. There is moreover, a need and benefit for game publishers and virtual store platforms to be able to identify specific in-game resources that would complement the player in their gameplay and communicate the same to them.

[0004] It is in this context that embodiments arise.

Edit: Just adding the microtransaction bit into the OP.

[0065] In some embodiments, the window may provide statistical data as to the rate of success and the average time to completion that the community of players registered when using the presented resource. The player is thus provided with communal data relating to the actual effectiveness of the resource as played by a community of peers. The player can make a more informed decision to select the resource or not and can be confident in their selection. In some embodiments, selection of various resources may require a form of payment, for example by using virtual currency or real money. In some embodiments, the selection of various resources may be in the form known as a“micro-transaction,” which deal with relatively small sums of real money. In other embodiments, selection of various resources may not require payment of currency, virtual or real, but the game system may limit the number of resources the player can select. It is also contemplated that selection of any resource will result in immediate access and use of the resource to minimize the delay between when a query is submitted and when a solution made live. Although a window is shown in the embodiment of Figure 9, other forms of communicating the information contained in the window may be used, such as by use of a secondary display, or by audio communication, or by transitioning to a full screen display of the window.

I don't think this would be as bad as it sounds. It sounds like if you die in the game a few times the game offers to show you what weapon or item others have used to progress and you can skip the crafting or searching for said item by buying it

But with that said, it's still a bad idea

Also not every patent gets put into use

Last edited:
Top Bottom