• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony has TOS clause which theoretically gives them rights to prune inactive accounts

test_account

XP-39C²
You do see that an account that holds your digital purchases is quite a bit different than any of those, right? People have cause for concern even if they don't need to freak out about it.
You're right, but are there any examples of such things happening though? If not, i'm not sure if there is much to be concerned about. Many Terms of Services have stuff in them that can look scary. I just read a bit of Nintendo's ToS and i can understand it in a way that they can terminate your account for any reason that they see fit. I've never heard of that happening however, so i'm not concerned about that happening.

Why don't they just do what Microsoft does and change an inactive account to some random name nobody would really want like BeefSalad2994283 so your 'name' is freed up for use again but you don't lose your purchases?

Because Sony doesn't know how to rename accounts, apparently

Melchiah

You do see that an account that holds your digital purchases is quite a bit different than any of those, right? People have cause for concern even if they don't need to freak out about it.

Loosing a Google account would potentially erase people's cherished memories and work related stuff from Gmail, Google Drive, and YouTube, so I think that's actually far worse.

EDIT: Only Gmail was mentioned as being affected by a similar clause, but the point still stands.

Stiler

No reason to do this, if it's about usernames just have a period where after "x" time the account name can be renamed by Sony to free it up.

So you still have the account/devices in tact, just the username might not be available if it's been freed up and someone else grabbed it.

I see no reason whatsoever to close an account for simply no activity.

You should be able to boot up a psn (with an account that was in good standing of course) 10 years later and still have access to your games or be able to use that system.

Is there precedent to this actually happening? My three old unused account had all its content when I logged in today. It's been in the terms of service for 7 years supposedly, has never happened, and now folks are trying to make something out of it suddenly.

Not that I know of but the comment I responded wasn't about that.

Kieli

This is the digital dystopian future.

I'd like to see Sony try to lock me out of my physical PS2/PS3/PS4 CDs.

KingJ2002

That's some loose legalese... basically they can just close the account if it hasn't been used in two years... unless you come after them in court to re-open it with all purchases in tact.

Trogdor1123

Logged into an old game sharing account from my ps3 days. No issues at all. Everyone can relax.
This is the digital dystopian future.

I'd like to see Sony try to lock me out of my physical PS2/PS3/PS4 CDs.
What are you talking about?

Kyrios

Just means they CAN prune accounts, but doesn't mean they actually will.

I told my friend who hasn't signed into a PS system since 2008 and he signed in on the PSN webstore and all his stuff was still there.

You'd be shocked what was in most TOS agreements. It's all just there to cover their ass in court.

Henrar

In the Microsoft Account or Skype Account section, we’ve added a requirement that you must sign into the Xbox Services at least once in a 5-year period to keep the Xbox gamertag associated with your Microsoft account. We’ve also added that if your account is compromised, we may be required to disable access to certain content.

From new Microsoft ToS. Does it mean that MS will also delete inactive Xbox accounts?

Taken from:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/servicesagreement/Updates.aspx

You're right, but are there any examples of such things happening though? If not, i'm not sure if there is much to be concerned about. Many Terms of Services have stuff in them that can look scary. I just read a bit of Nintendo's ToS and i can understand it in a way that they can terminate your account for any reason that they see fit. I've never heard of that happening however, so i'm not concerned about that happening.
Do I really need to have examples to be even mildly concerned about the fact that they can do this? They need to upgrade their shithouse PSN setup so that it's not even an action they say they have to take for a dormant account. As PSN gains more customer accounts, they'll increasingly look for ways to reclaim possible usernames, including being more aggressive with their timing. After all, as digital takes over, they'll be keen to clear the way for more new customers to make those purchases on.

Loosing a Google account would potentially erase people's cherished memories and work related stuff from Gmail, Google Drive, and YouTube, so I think that's actually far worse.

EDIT: Only Gmail was mentioned as being affected by a similar clause, but the point still stands.

Look, you cannot use your digital purchases without a corresponding PSN account. So, if you lose that, you're out of your content since you cannot back it up elsewhere like you could and should with data and documents stored on your Google services accounts. Completely different situation.

It's so fucked that companies are all starting to play this game. Now I have to remember to periodically log into every account I bought digital purchases with or potentially lose hundreds of dollars. This should be illegal once you have purchases tied to the account. Assholes.

As posted above, they'll free up your username (gamertag) for someone else to claim, but you'll still have your purchases even if you have to adopt a new name.

As I understand it, this is incorrect. It appears to be a full account deletion.
ii. Account Use. You must use your Microsoft account to keep it active. This means you must sign in at least once in a five-year period to keep your Microsoft account, and associated Services, active, unless provided otherwise in an offer for a paid portion of the Services. If you don’t sign in during this time, we will assume your Microsoft account is inactive and will close it for you. Please see section 4(a)(iv)(2) for the consequences of a closed Microsoft account.

2. If your Services are cancelled or your Microsoft account or Skype account is closed (whether by you or us), a few things happen. First, your right to use the Services stops immediately and your licence to use the software related to the Services ends. Second, we’ll delete Data or Your Content associated with your Microsoft account or Skype account or will otherwise disassociate it from you and your Microsoft account or Skype account (unless we are required by law to keep it). As a result you will no longer be able to access any of the Services (or Your Content that you’ve stored on those Services) that require a Microsoft account. You should have a regular backup plan. Third, you may lose access to material or products you’ve acquired.

As I understand it, this is incorrect. It appears to be a full account deletion.

Well that sucks if that's the case and it really shouldn't be. I talked to an MS CS rep when my old account was hijacked some years ago and when I asked about my original and disused gamertag, they told me it might still be available but content would definitely still be accessible as long as I could provide the correct original credentials to prove it was mine. Looks like that may no longer be the case...lame as fuck.

Ridiculous and it should be illegal to do it under ANY time span.

What if someone becomes a PC gamer and doesn't want to touch a PlayStation for a generation or more?

Me. I bought a ps4, played Bloodborne, and then used it for netflix until I sold it. That was over a year ago. I'm thinking to maaaybe get one here this fall, but maybe not. But whether I do or not, that's garbage.

Well, just another reason to 1. Never buy digital, and 2, stay away from Sony

24 months isn't a very long time... I can imagine someone selling their PS4 after playing a game like Uncharted 4 and maybe getting a PS5 in future and their account is just gone.

I opened Skype the other day to new terms for Microsoft's services.
Apparently they will close your full Live account/ gamertag after 5 years of inactivity too.

Kind of worrying they can do this after how much money we spend on their services.

Top Bottom