• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony hints that the PS4 lifecycle may be shorter than PS3

RetroStu

Banned
EA would probably still be making games for PS3 in 5 years time, we could have a situation where EA are releasing games for PS3, PS4, and PS5 at the same time lol. Imagine those cross gen games!

Josh7289

I could easily see more rapid updates and more backward compatibility. Think like the iPhone/iPad model. Each game would tell you which systems it runs on, and as time passes the oldest systems would not be supported by the newest games anymore, but there'd be a good number of years after the PS5 is released that most or all new PS games would still run on PS4, for example.

Afrodium

Banned
I doubt Sony knows at this point how long the generation will last. This seems to be more of a comment on how willingly consumers will drop $500 on a new iPad every year, and how this new type of marketplace might effect console sales.

If people are buying tablets in four years that can match the PS4's performance, then this generation will have to be shorter than the previous one.

RetroStu

Banned
Calling it now:

PlayStation 5 by no later than November 2020 (the absolute latest) supporting native 4K and native 8K games, though most games will be native 4K.

Will also be a 10-12x increase in shader & compute performance.

Many more ROPs than PS4's 32, so PS5 can support both 4K and some 8K games.

16x the RAM as PS4.

Stacked DRAM on the APU / GPU for 1+ TeraByte/sec bandwidth. Note: Nvidia will have stacked DRAM with 1 TB/sec bandwidth starting in late 2016 with their Volta GPU architecture, the successor to Maxwell. So AMD should be able to follow with a next-gen console APU with similar tech before or by 2020.

I'm glad Cerny is at the helm of PlayStation architecture.

128gb of ram lol, is that even possible?

Tagyhag

Calling it now:

PlayStation 5 by no later than November 2020 (the absolute latest) supporting native 4K and native 8K games, though most games will be native 4K.

16x the RAM as PS4.

Stacked DRAM on the APU / GPU for 1+ TeraByte/sec bandwidth. Note: Nvidia will have stacked DRAM with 1 TB/sec bandwidth starting in late 2016 with their Volta GPU architecture, the successor to Maxwell. So AMD should be able to follow with a next-gen console APU with similar tech before or by 2020.

I wish I had this much belief!

RetroStu

Banned
I'm suprised no one has mentioned that it means that we ARE going to be getting atleast 1 more console generation, i know Jack Tretton said at E3 that consoles aren't going anywhere and that there would be future Playstations but you just never know with all this 'everyone wants to game on their phones, not on consoles" nonsense talk.

Omni

Calling it now:

16x the RAM as PS4.

Is this before or after unicorns fall from the sky?

Pistolero

6 years would be a sweet spot (8 years for the Xbox360 to get replaced!). But the market is evolving really fast right, so fast that it would be hard to predict what the trends would be 6-8 years from now.

sleepykyo

Uh, yes they do. Or do you think all 100+ million console owners are still rocking some old flip phones and emachines PC?

Smartphones are heavily subsidized by the service providers, such as AT&T or Verizon. Not to mention both phones and PCs are almost essential while dedicated gaming hardware isn't even close.

Not to mention if people really wanted to do bi/tri-annual refreshes, that option has already been available on PCs since forever.

All of this is incredibly dumb. How would anyone know this right now? Even Sony.

Supposedly neither side is subsidizing as much so they won't need as long to recoup the starting costs/r&d/etc. And perhaps Sony wants to have a contingency in place should Microsoft decide to bring out XB2 in a few years.

6 years seems good. Enough time for late comers to get their trilogies out.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
just like all of the other consoles, PS4 will still stick around for 10 years, just that PS5 will overlap.

I wonder if they'll share architecture enough to have backwards compatibility... one can dream.

nullset2

We haven't even seen the PS4/XBO's true potential and people are still saying this?

Well, if anything, I don't want games becoming a "we're going to take 3-4 years and 2 million dollars, with a marketing budget of 1 million, to release this this thing unless we're making an indie 2D platformer" sort of deal.

Afrikan

kind of weird seeing these types of plays, from a 9er fan perspective.

why are the Lions not lining up their FB at WR? Or running it on 1st and 2nd down...then passing it on 3rd and long?

Both Sony and MS now have a stable X86 upgrade path for their next consoles. I would be very very surprised if PS5 cant emulate PS4.

2020, ~0.5-1 tflops CPU, ~15 tflops GPU, 64GB high bandwith memory cubes. Its gonna be glorious.

My poor future wife will be sad when I being that thing home

Pistolero

I want them to surpass what is available on PC's next time.. But with the same architecture as PC's, this is much less probable (lack of custom chip magic sauces), as anything available to them will also be available to the PC republic.

This is impossible. The jump to shaders and sophisticated PC GPUs unleashed a new era in which performance upgrades occur too often to be counted in the span of 6 years. No custom chip magic sauce will be able to compete with top of the line GPUs launched in 2019...because that's precisely the sector where the magic sauce is concocted.

daman824

With how willing everyone is to buy a new $500 ipad or new iphone every year, I wouldn't be suprised if we see the ps5 in 2017. Maybe even 2016 if the tech advances fast enough.

sono

10 years is surely a long time.

But I think there is concern around a too short a time that consumers may feel less of a commitment from Sony to what is not-that-cheap a purchase.

So how long is the time for todays uk market ?

daveo42

Banned
It makes sense in the advent of 4k gaming, the upcoming launch of DDR4, and the theoretical limits of what the new consoles can do and how fast developers will hit the ceiling. That last one might be hit in 2-3 years too, as opposed to 5-6 like current gen.

Good. The last cycle was too long. The perfect cycle should be long enough so developers have a stable platform they can be comfortable with, but not so long that it starts to feel limiting. 5 maybe 6 years seems about right.

Top Bottom