• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony hints that the PS4 lifecycle may be shorter than PS3

Taiser

Eh? so that Sony UK Boss guy basically said "maybe yes, maybe no, dunno LOL!"
and everyone here acts like this is a conformation that we're going back to 16/32bit era-like console cycles ?

RetroStu

Banned
OH NOOOO!!!!!

Please don't.

image.php

GodofWine

If I have any hope of living to see the legendary PlayStation 9 then I'd hope the cycles shorten up.

This...if they release them 8 years apart, I'll be 76 when that little orb releases...If 5, mid 60s...cmon mid 60s. :(

its bad when you can measure the remaining years of your life as 5 more PS generations.

J-Rzez

Good. They need to get hardware out there a tad quicker. Last gen really hurt consoles between sales falling off and losing people to PC gaming due to stagnation of hardware and services. Sony needs to plan for that life cycle because if MS stays in the scene they'll be launching in that time frame as well no doubt, trying to get a fresh slate ASAP after this disaster of a gen.

MilkBeard

At the time?, Jesus how much ram do you have now and what do you need it for?

Not sure if sarcastic, I'm bad at detecting these things on the internet. But it was in the mid/late 90's. That was a desktop PC, it was kind of middle of the road. I could run Quake III arena on it and it looked pretty good actually. Couldn't run Unreal Tournament very well though.

Now, I have a laptop with 4GB of ram. That's basically the comparison I was making.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Going to x64 practically guarantees compatibility going forward. Its a very mature technology that doesn't require specific investment in order to expect iterative performance improvements that maintain BC with software written for earlier hardware.

The painful part was jumping to x64 as that effectively was a complete break from the past, something that given their market-share with PS3 was an easier blow to absorb than in the preceding generation changes. Losing BC is going to be a bigger blow to MS than Sony this time around, as its involved them surrendering their advantage on XBL and starting over.

I don't want console makers to see the current sales numbers and think they can Apple up consoles with tri-yearly console launches. The reason consoles are selling like they are IS because last gen was so long. If they do choose to experiment and go the way of the iPod, they run the risk of pushing the gamer to the PC side completely. To do so is to forget Sega's fuckup with the Saturn and Dreamcast that spelled disaster for the company. One they never recovered from.

I hope this gen goes roughly six years, and only stops once 4k is affordable and VR is ready for mass market.

LAA

$400-500 spenditure isn't THAT much for a 5-6 year investement and 5-6 years of huge enjoyment, atleast for me anyway.

Yeah fair enough, but this is still technically a bad thing for the consumers in a way...
That and if we wait longer, the jump in graphic capabilities will be better by the time we get it. Pros + Cons.
And yeah I appreciate developers want to push the tech and push as much as they can, which is awesome, but at least give them the time to do it. Like look at Last of us for PS3, may not have happened if the time cycle for the console is smaller.
I think all I really want is for the console is to have enough time to be pushed to the max, after that I'm open to a new console.

RetroStu

Banned
Not sure if sarcastic, I'm bad at detecting these things on the internet. But it was in the mid/late 90's. That was a desktop PC, it was kind of middle of the road. I could run Quake III arena on it and it looked pretty good actually. Couldn't run Unreal Tournament very well though.

Now, I have a laptop with 4GB of ram. That's basically the comparison I was making.

Shit my mistake, i thought you said 64GIG not 64meg lol, no wonder i was confused.

Pistolero

Eh? so that Sony UK Boss guy basically said "maybe yes, maybe no, dunno LOL!"
and everyone here acts like this is a conformation that we're going back to 16/32bit era-like console cycles ?

Nobody even takes the time to read the articles provided and the sources mentionned. A quick glance at the title and hop! everybody gives themselves over to wishful thinking...

HariKari

So long as they keep the architecture the same, porting PS4 titles to PS5 would be easy, right? I feel like Sony could have a massive advantage if they had a more powerful box that could play both catalogs + gaikai. Instead of re-releasing only the popular games, they could build a massive tidal wave of titles to make a PS5 more of an easy upgrade instead of a cut off point.

Smartphones are heavily subsidized by the service providers, such as AT&T or Verizon. Not to mention both phones and PCs are almost essential while dedicated gaming hardware isn't even close.

Not to mention if people really wanted to do bi/tri-annual refreshes, that option has already been available on PCs since forever.

Tablets aren't subsidized and they cost more than consoles (which don't cost much more than a subsidized phone in the first place).

The reason consoles are this way isn't because people want it that way. It has been a necessity because of the rapid evolution in graphics that used to happen in the 80's and 90's. Developers needed a new platform to keep up when 3D graphics were hitting and when the HD gen started. Those were chaotic days, and every few years technology would come out that would redefine the way games could look. But what's the reason now? The game software industry is past its infancy and has stabled into a mature form, so there is no practical reason to create a brand new platform and write a brand new OS from scratch every 5 years. It would be like re-writing and re-designing Windows or Mac OS every few years, when the basic form of the desktop operating system was pretty much finalized decades ago. Game consoles are now at the point where you can point at it and say "This is a console. This is what video games look like". Graphics are at the plateau stage.

PS4 v.1: 2013
PS4 v.2: 2015 (16gb RAM, next gen APU)
PS4 v.3: 2017 (32gb RAM, next next gen APU)

What is wrong with a scenario like this? These are all ps4's. All run the same OS. They all run the same software, just better on the newer models. The issue of BC becomes moot. You have an ever increasing user base, with no fragmentation. For once, Sony can actually call the Playstation a "platform" and be right. When a new model comes out, you aren't forced to upgrade like you would have to with consoles these days.

because the amount of time it takes for devs to get a good grip on console tech is longer then ones that work solely on mobile/tablet. From a financial standpoint it's just a nightmare.

I'm not talking about release new consoles every couple of years. I'm talking about releasing new and improved ps4's every couple of years.

erawsd

Comparing tablets and smartphones which are sold via contracts (for the most part) to consoles, which are not is rather dubious. Unless Sony/Microsoft start making contracts a big thing for these consoles, a shorter life cycle with their shit launching at $400+ with $60 games is not going to cut it. People are will tire of it.

Want a short life cycle? Start launching your consoles at $300 again with backwards compatibility.

Thats true of smartphones but not really for tablets. The vast majority of iPads sold are WIFI-only models. I don't think cellular models even account of 10%.

Regardless, I do agree that if we are going to get shorter cycles then cheaper prices and back compatibility are a must.

daveo42

Banned
So long as they keep the architecture the same, porting PS4 titles to PS5 would be easy, right? I feel like Sony could have a massive advantage if they had a more powerful box that could play both catalogs + gaikai. Instead of re-releasing only the popular games, they could build a massive tidal wave of titles to make a PS5 more of an easy upgrade instead of a cut off point.

Better APU, with a faster processor, better gpu and faster ram would work out. I suppose they'd only need to worry about throughput being higher than 176Gb/s.

I'd say it's pretty much inevitable, unless network infrastructure greatly improve in the next few years, and I don't see that happening.

Calling it now:

PlayStation 5 by no later than November 2020 (the absolute latest) supporting native 4K and native 8K games, though most games will be native 4K.

Will also be a 10-12x increase in shader & compute performance.

Many more ROPs than PS4's 32, so PS5 can support both 4K and some 8K games, at smooth framerates of either 30fps or 60fps depending on what devs want to do with their games.

16x the system RAM as PS4 on a 512-bit external memory bus (PS4 has 256-bit).

Stacked DRAM on the APU / GPU (note: very different than EDRAM or ESRAM) for 1+ TeraByte/sec bandwidth. Note: Nvidia will have stacked DRAM with 1 TB/sec bandwidth starting in late 2016 with their Volta GPU architecture, the successor to Maxwell. So AMD should be able to follow with a next-gen console APU with similar tech before or by 2020.

Beefier CPU cores on the APU, but no idea how many.

I'm glad Cerny is at the helm of PlayStation architecture.

I have similar expectations. Hopefully Stacked CPU's GPU's are in that future as well. If nothing else, that RAM will be stacked. 100% no doubt.

MilkBeard

Good Lord. 4-5 years seems a bit too short to me. I think 6 years is ideal.

Every Nintendo console ever has been 5 years. Nothing wrong with that number, especially with how fast technology moves. However, just because there is a new gen, it doesn't mean the old system won't be supported for a few extra years. Games would still be supported for those systems because of the established user base. It's just like what we are seeing with the switch from PS360 -> Xbox 1 and PS4.

fuck nah, Sony Uk don't know what the fuck they talking about.

I better wait as long as I waited from the PS3 to PS4 until the PS5 god damnit. If I wanted short cycles I woulda bought a pc!

the five years life cycle is perfect IMO, long enough to ensure great sales and short enough to allow games to evolve with better hardware.

caustictoast

Neo Member
4-5 years would be glorious. 6 is realistic, though.

7 is far too long. I can only imagine how everyone who got a launch 360 was feeling waitiung for 8. 5 for me would be perfect. 6 if they want to stretch it. But never again 7. If that happens I'll just go full Master Race and ditch consoles for good.

velociraptor

fuck nah, Sony Uk don't know what the fuck they talking about.

I better wait as long as I waited from the PS3 to PS4 until the PS5 god damnit. If I wanted short cycles I woulda bought a pc!

Relax. I'm sure the PS4 will be supported for a very long time. I would simply prefer a quicker hardware revision. 7-8 years has been far too long.

5 years is perfect.

AmyS

128gb of ram lol, is that even possible?

I wish I had this much belief!

Is this before or after unicorns fall from the sky?

I have similar expectations. Hopefully Stacked CPU's GPU's are in that future as well. If nothing else, that RAM will be stacked. 100% no doubt.

Going from PS4 to PS5 will not be like going from PS1 to PS2, or like from PS2 to PS3. It will be more like what we just saw going from PS3 to PS4 all over again.

Although I suppose 128 GB RAM is totally rediculas, 32 GB should be fine.

Stacked DRAM on the GPU / APU will happen, the industry is going that direction, starting with Nvidia in 2016.

A 10x increase for GPU / APU, in graphics performance is not unreasonable, especially since PS5 will have to support at least native 4K resolution in games. 4K is four times the pixel resolution of 1080p while 8K is sixteen times the pixel resolution of 1080p.

It has to be shorter, since the hardware just isn't strong enough this time around to support a 7-8 year cycle.

Either way, I'm thoroughly impressed by the quality of games put out this generation, specifically towards the end.

DieH@rd

Banned
Micron has just announced building of first memory cubes, situated directly on top of the processors. First samples in early 2014, production in late 2014. This is off course all intended for the very expensive "supercomputer" market.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/27/micron_engaged_in_consenting_dram_stackery/

Performance gains for first batch are 15x speed increase against DDR2, around 160GB/s, 70% less power consumption than current memory, 90% less space than RDIMMs.

This will be great improvement for PC space, as CPUs are really limited by current DDR3 speeds.

AmyS

If PS5 launches in 5 years, fall 2018, then I'd only really expect native 4K games, and not native 8K aka "Full Ultra HD" games.

If it's fall 2020 then native 8K for at least *some* games becomes more likely and more feasible. Even so, even by 2020 the number of native 8K sets will be very tiny and the number of native 4K sets will still be a minority.

Regardless, PS5 games should certainly be able to upscale to 8Ksets and downscale to 1080p and even 720p sets.

Top Bottom