• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Interactive Entertainment is looking for someone with Nvidia GPU and PC programming knowledge to work on The Last of Us Part II

Dacon

Banned
The favourite games of people are CoDs it seems. I suppose everybody should stop and make only shooters from now on!
Obviously multiplatform game is reducing the time that is spent on the game. You will need abstractions, engines and all other crap that comes with the platform support.
People who never shipped a product (even non-game) for multiple platforms are clueless it seems...

So, basically you got nothing but a bunch of assumptions and arrogant proclamations about things you know nothing about, got it.

The fact that you think of CoD first says a lot.

Siri

Banned
I have extensive knowledge of this cuda crap, and also of Nvidia’s shit in general - do you have any idea how many times I’ve opened up the NV Control Panel and tinkered with the settings in order to get games to run?

I will do it. All I ask from Sony is for... one... billion... dollars.

Naughty Dog is looking for a Graphics Programmer, and they’re hoping that person knows anything about Nvidia CUDA or PC programming, DirectX12 experience would be a plus too.

This isn’t surprising anymore, given Jason Schreier says Horizon: Zero Dawn is coming to PC and Sony plans more titles to arrive in the future. This isn’t to say the game is 100% coming to PC, however c’mon now, what does Nvidia have to do with an AMD console? No other job listing mentions it, and this is only 2 days ago this was posted (post Horizon PC leak).

The Last of Us Part II launches on May 29th, 2020 on PS4.

Source: LinkedIn

you are cherry picking to try to make a story

"Thorough understanding of current GPU architectures (AMD GCN, NVIDIA CUDA)"

if they mention CUDA is clear they want people that know about GPGPU, around the time of uncharted 4 sony updated their devkits to move things like physics into GPU instead of CPU, there is a lot fo effort to use GPU for many tasks that normally are made by CPU, there is nothing weird there, if you have used NVIDIA CUDA api then you have experience in this kind of work so you can use a similar api from sony/amd

"Experience with DirectX12, Vulkan or other modern graphics or compute APIs"

so is not direct x 12 only, is a modern graphics API wich of course is what you expect for the job, sony uses GNM and GNMX wich are similar to directx11/opengl 3-4 and for lower level, if you know something about vulkan or directx12 then you can adapt to another similar low level api

"Console or PC programming experience "

well of course you want someone with experience if you worked in a console before then good but if you only have experience in PC then is ok too

notice that you can apply for the job and have the experience without even touching a windows PC, except for directx12 you can use all of it on a linux environment

Last edited:
Citation needed. Reads like more brand loyalism nonsense.

John Carmack: Consoles run 2x or so better than equal PC hardware, but it isn’t just API in the way, focus a single spec also matters.
(i.e exclusive games)

We don't need citations thought. Exclusives are usually more polished and look better than multi platforms.
If that changes next-gen we will know the reason.

Last edited:

Woodchipper

Apparently you’re more worried than the people at Sony who think opening up more revenue streams for their AAA titles is a better idea than restricting them
Nah, theres an entire kindergarden crying.
I’m just worried that the quality will suffer when games are developed for more than one platform. If they come to PS5 first and PC one or two years later I’m cool with it though.

Thaedolus

I love the selective amnesia thing. But we all remember how well those TV, TV, TV revenue streams worked for MSFT. And here we are, another generation and another bulk of great ideas on how to bring these non-console gamers in. 😂

I think you mean non-gamers. XBone didn’t appeal to me as a gamer because it didn’t offer much I couldn’t get somewhere else. I’m giving MS money every month now, though, because they did start offering games on a platform I wanted to play them on.

I’m just worried that the quality will suffer when games are developed for more than one platform. If they come to PS5 first and PC one or two years later I’m cool with it though.

With how closely the next gen consoles match PC architecture, there shouldn’t be any need for that. Developers have made games that scale to various levels of hardware for decades. Anyone competent, especially AAA developers, shouldn’t have an issue with quality output on both platforms.

JLB

Banned

would you be ok if quality is not affected, but games get released simultaneously on ps/pc?

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
It doesn’t work that way, at all. The best game this gen, The Witcher 3 simultaneously released on three platforms. Resident Evil 2, three platform simultaneous release. Dark Souls, two platform release. Breath of the Wild, two platform release. Destiny, four platform release. Shall I continue?

If your studio has any talent whatsoever developing for two platforms is a piece of cake. Especially in this day in age, it’s not like the PS3 is still around which was a complete joke to optimize.

Last edited:

sunnysideup

Banned
It doesn’t work that way, at all. The best game this gen, The Witcher 3 simultaneously released on three platforms. Resident Evil 2, three platform simultaneous release. Dark Souls, two platform release. Breath of the Wild, two platform release. Destiny, four platform release. Shall I continue?

If your studio has any talent whatsoever developing for two platforms is a piece of cake. Especially in this day in age, it’s not like the PS3 is still around which was a complete joke to optimize.

Modern scaled multiplatform games suck ass. Witcher is unplayable with its horrible framepacing.

I mostly stick to first party games, which looks a generation beyond modern scaled multiplats.

Back when they actually did ports. Games where much more playable on different platform.

Strange that this even had to be said.

Here’s the cost of my present setup: Liquid cooled Bolt-X ($4000 CAD) RTX 2080ti ($2000 CAD) LG C9 4K OLED
($2000 CAD) wireless keyboard and mouse, speakers, controller ($1000 CAD)

Total $9000 CAD
Wow. Would like to see a game run on that!

Dacon

Banned

Don't forget how amazingly well optimized Doom (2016) was on all platforms, and it was a fucking fantastic game.

Top Bottom