• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Might Be Doing A Show Next Week

Will Sony Have A Show Next Week?

• Total voters
That is according to Shinobi602 who used be on Gaf a while ago and is a very notable long time leaker and an individual who works in the industry or used to work.

"https://www.resetera.com/threads/pl...eighborhood-ot.755938/page-125#post-111722964

Markratos said: "The lack of communication from Sony at this point is sad."

shinobi602 replied: "Well, this week is over now."

Maybe the SoP that Grubb heard about will be next week."

What's your take Gaf? Sony has been quite lately, is it time? TGS is also around the corner.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
September 21 GIF by Earth, Wind & Fire
Share share share!
I don’t get it ?
Asking for him to share any new deets he may have heard.
Its time we get a show, well likely next week anyhow

Last edited:

vivftp

The State of Play has already been teased by Grubb. That could be next week, or it could be the following week. In terms of notable things for SIE to talk about next week, that includes:

- Rumored SOP
- Apparently Spider-Man 2 previews of some sort
- PS5 revision announcement
- Cloud upgrade announcement
- Firmware release (likely tied to the cloud upgrade)
- Plus Extra/Premium games for September announced next week

For the SOP specifically, there's any number of potential SIE published content that could show up there (Spider-Man 2, Helldivers 2, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade, DS2, Concord, Fairgame$). There could also be more on some exclusive content like FF7 Rebirth, Foamstars or Silent Hill 2 Remake. And we could get newer trailers for games like the Avatar game, which Sony seems to have the marketing for.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Of course there is going to be a state of play to push more pre-orders for spidey 2 and the new slim
Yep. And I think that's why they sold the Spider-Man 2 Limited Edition more than a month early. It was already pipelined for the model revision we have now, and they needed it out before the new revision for this holiday season.

Store supply chain stock and those sales last month seems to indicate a new model.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Yep. And I think that's why they sold the Spider-Man 2 Limited Edition more than a month early. It was already pipelined for the model revision we have now, and they needed it out before the new revision for this holiday season.

Store supply chain stock and those sales last month seems to indicate a new model.
Yeah doesn't make sense at all to sell a console September 1st when the game is coming almost 2 moths later

There's a point where it'd simply be too hard to keep the Slim under wraps. May as well announce it.

Also announce FF7R Part 2's release date.

TexMex

I would love for there to be but I highly doubt it and I don’t find anything in that post to imply that there will be.

Cyberpunkd

That is according to Shinobi602 who used be on Gaf a while ago and is a very notable long time leaker and an individual who works in the industry or used to work..
Where’s that thread or tweet about Shinobi shaming his own kid how to be an “ally” to PoCs and LGBT folks?

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

vivftp

I would love for there to be but I highly doubt it and I don’t find anything in that post to imply that there will be.

The post is all about subtext to tell us that Sony will have some things to talk about next week. Shinobi doesn't give blatant leaks like he used to since he works in the industry now.

There's a lot of things they could talk about, and since we have a couple of insiders (Grubb, Heisenberg) indicating a SOP is coming, there's a solid chance of that being at least one of the things Sony does next week. Not to mention Sony's held a September Showcase/SOP every September for the past few years, so yeah, it'll happen.

nial

Gold Member
This will definitely be an Asia-focused SOP, so I'm expecting Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Silent Hill 2 (Japanese IP), Foamstars, Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, Death Stranding 2, and new announcements probably from Bandai Namco and Team Asobi. Then there's Convallaria, Lost Soul Aside, Dragon's Dogma 2, and Granblue Fantasy: Relink, which are all on the "maybe..." side.
As far as Western games go, probably just Helldivers II, Spider-Man 2, and some indie reveals.
I really want a New Everybody's Golf 2 though...

It's kinda insane. In the PS4 era PlayStation was like a hype machine. Event after event. Now they doesn't give a shit anymore, and it's fucking bad for the devs imo.

Many people think that revealing games too early is bad. I see it as a positive thing, especially showing gameplay, as devs can take feedback from the public and change things that are not so well received for the final game.

Reactions: Isa

MagnesD3

Why is it just gonna be more Gaas crap for tha kiddies, thats ok, maybe ill get to save some cash for a PC upgrade instead of a Ps6.

vivftp

It's kinda insane. In the PS4 era PlayStation was like a hype machine. Event after event. Now they doesn't give a shit anymore, and it's fucking bad for the devs imo.

Many people think that revealing games too early is bad. I see it as a positive thing, especially showing gameplay, as devs can take feedback from the public and change things that are not so well received for the final game.

Revealing too early can be more of a headache for a studio. Neil Druckmann touched on this not too long ago:

“We did announce Uncharted 4 and The Last of Us Part 2 way in advance, but that actually caused a little bit of the work-life balance issues that we’ve sometimes had at the studio,” Druckmann said. “By delaying that announcement a bit, we could play with the schedule more and we’re more conscious now about how we’re approaching production. So there’s our [The Last of Us] multiplayer project and there’s another project that I will not say anything about that’s beyond that that we’re also very much excited for.”

In the PS4 gen by the end of 2016 Sony had announced almost everything they had left for the remainder of the gen, and the next 4 years worth of events consisted of showing off content they already revealed. They blew their load early and it worked to build hype, but as we can see in the above comment, revealing too early can have negative effects.

At this point in time, we're aware of roughly 15 or so SIE published titles that have either been formally announced or acknowledged by the devs. Those being:

Fairgame$
Concord
Marathon
Destiny 2 The Final Shape
Wolverine
Rise of the Ronin
DS2
Stellar Blade
Lost Soul Aside
Convallaria
Spider-Man 2
Helldivers 2
TLOU Online
London Studios live service game
KOTOR Remake

Claiming that they don't give a shit is a misinformed take. They've got a sizable chunk of announced content and based on known/speculated projects, they've likely got a couple dozen more incubating in the background for later in the gen. And as always, it's important to remember that pandemic delays have pushed things back for pretty much all studios across the industry around a year or so. If they're not ready to reveal then why add more stress to the studio just to shit out a trailer early? Let them work on the game and do a reveal when they're actually ready. That way they can spend more time working on the actual game rather than possibly wasting months polishing a vertical slice for a trailer, which is something that was a common complaint as devs prepared for E3.

Revealing too early can be more of a headache for a studio. Neil Druckmann touched on this not too long ago:

“We did announce Uncharted 4 and The Last of Us Part 2 way in advance, but that actually caused a little bit of the work-life balance issues that we’ve sometimes had at the studio,” Druckmann said. “By delaying that announcement a bit, we could play with the schedule more and we’re more conscious now about how we’re approaching production. So there’s our [The Last of Us] multiplayer project and there’s another project that I will not say anything about that’s beyond that that we’re also very much excited for.”

In the PS4 gen by the end of 2016 Sony had announced almost everything they had left for the remainder of the gen, and the next 4 years worth of events consisted of showing off content they already revealed. They blew their load early and it worked to build hype, but as we can see in the above comment, revealing too early can have negative effects.

At this point in time, we're aware of roughly 15 or so SIE published titles that have either been formally announced or acknowledged by the devs. Those being:

Fairgame$
Concord
Marathon
Wolverine
Rise of the Ronin
DS2
Stellar Blade
Lost Soul Aside
Convallaria
Spider-Man 2
Helldivers 2
TLOU Online
KOTOR Remake

Claiming that they don't give a shit is a misinformed take. They've got a sizable chunk of announced content and based on known/speculated projects, they've likely got a couple dozen more incubating in the background for later in the gen. And as always, it's important to remember that pandemic delays have pushed things back for pretty much all studios across the industry around a year or so. If they're not ready to reveal then why add more stress to the studio just to shit out a trailer early? Let them work on the game and do a reveal when they're actually ready. That way they can spend more time working on the actual game rather than possibly wasting months polishing a vertical slice for a trailer, which is something that was a common complaint as devs prepared for E3.
While you have many valid points, the issue here is that were about to enter year 3 since the PS5's launch here in November 2023. We still have yet too see a single game that's mind blowing from a first party studio. It's been all cross gen stuff, with occasional fill in the gap titles. That is the problem that people are having, including myself.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

While you have many valid points, the issue here is that were about to enter year 3 since the PS5's launch here in November 2023. We still have yet too see a single game that's mind blowing from a first party studio. It's been all cross gen stuff, with occasional fill in the gap titles. That is the problem that people are having, including myself.
My Ps5 is an Elden Ring and Sf6 machine

vivftp

What you're saying is subjective, not objective. There are plenty of folks who are blown away by the games that have been released so far.

LakeOf9

Fairgame$
Concord
Marathon
Wolverine
Rise of the Ronin
DS2
Stellar Blade
Lost Soul Aside
Convallaria
Spider-Man 2
Helldivers 2
TLOU Online
KOTOR Remake

Three games on that list are not Sony but third party games (including one that crashed so catastrophically during development it might never come out)

Of the Sony stuff, the only singleplayer games on that list are Spider-Man 2 (announced two years ago), Wolverine (also announced two years ago), and Death Stranding 2. Everything else is live service trash, which, even keeping an open mind, they have shown in the worst, most hype sapping way possible (and I am not counting reports of TLOU Online having run into development troubles of its own).

You can list as many games as you want, I could have listed a dozen upcoming Xbox games all last gen to make it look like everything is great, but the fact of the matter is Sony built their reputation on high quality first party singleplayer exclusives, they have spent the last two years giving us anything except that. You can hardly blame people for getting antsy as they waited, especially with how poor Sony's messaging and business moves have been on top.

What you're saying is subjective, not objective. There are plenty of folks who are blown away by the games that have been released so far.
What games are those? Ragnarok is just a big expansion with not much new going on. Returnal is a great roguelike experience with horror elements, but nothing that hasn't been done before or new. Demon's Souls is the best looking game visually, but it's a remake of a game from 2008. Ratchet and Clank is exactly what you expect. horizon Forbidden West has somewhat better visuals, but nothing groundbreaking.

I am not including 3rd party titles here strictly talking about first party and Sony only.

vivftp

Three games on that list are not Sony but third party games (including one that crashed so catastrophically during development it might never come out)

Of the Sony stuff, the only singleplayer games on that list are Spider-Man 2 (announced two years ago), Wolverine (also announced two years ago), and Death Stranding 2. Everything else is live service trash, which, even keeping an open mind, they have shown in the worst, most hype sapping way possible (and I am not counting reports of TLOU Online having run into development troubles of its own).

You can list as many games as you want, I could have listed a dozen upcoming Xbox games all last gen to make it look like everything is great, but the fact of the matter is Sony built their reputation on high quality first party singleplayer exclusives, they have spent the last two years giving us anything except that. You can hardly blame people for getting antsy as they waited, especially with how poor Sony's messaging and business moves have been on top.

I said SIE published games, those are all SIE published games. XDEV exists for a reason.

Your feelings towards live service games are not relevant, a game doesn't have to target your personal tastes to be viable and to be able to find its own market. Single player only gamers are gonna have to grow up and get over this elitist nonsense about "live service trash". It's always been a nonsense argument and will become even more nonsensical as SIE actually gets the gears moving on their live service push.

What games are those? Ragnarok is just a big expansion with not much new going on. Returnal is a great roguelike experience with horror elements, but nothing that hasn't been done before or new. Demon's Souls is the best looking game visually, but it's a remake of a game from 2008. Ratchet and Clank is exactly what you expect. horizon Forbidden West has somewhat better visuals, but nothing groundbreaking.

I am not including 3rd party titles here strictly talking about first party and Sony only.

Take a moment to step out of your own personal viewpoint and look around at those games, the threads on those games, the reviews on those games. There are plenty of folks who have been impressed by and wowed by those various games. It's fine if you're not personally impressed, but acting as though your personal viewpoint is the only one that matters isn't the way to handle this.

And really, if you wanna get into it, how many PS3 or PS4 games in their first 3 years really pushed those consoles to their limits? Those limit pushing games almost always came in the second half of the gen, not the first. What you're seeing here is the normal cycle of game development for each and every gen.

Last edited:

LakeOf9

I said SIE published games, those are all SIE published games. XDEV exists for a reason.
Technicality, pure technicality, it would be like listing SMTV or Octopath Traveler as a Nintendo game. When people are asking for new Sony games, they are not asking for Rise of Ronin.

Your feelings towards live service games are not relevant, a game doesn't have to target your personal tastes to be viable and to be able to find its own market.
I said "even keeping an open mind" those games they showed look bad. If there is a good game there, they did not show it, everything they showed was bafflingly bad looking. Announcing a brand new IP by a brand new developer in an unproven genre with a CG trailer and title card is not my idea of "hype".

Single player only gamers are gonna have to grow up and get over this elitist nonsense about "live service trash". It's always been a nonsense argument and will become even more nonsensical as SIE actually gets the gears moving on their live service push.
Once again missing the point. Sony can release a dozen live service games and I am sure no one would complain as long as the Sony fans who spent $500 (or more) on Sony hardware this gen based on Sony's excellence in the past few gens got that excellence. People bought PS5 out of a desire to get more of the great exclusives Sony was known for on PS3 and PS4. Sony right now is not delivering that. People have a right to complain. You can find the move to live services exciting from a business perspective or whatever, and that's great, but people are allowed to not give a shit about the business side and base their opinions on their own tastes and expectations set by Sony themselves. Especially when, again, the live service games Sony did show look just trash.

Last edited:

Your feelings towards live service games are not relevant, a game doesn't have to target your personal tastes to be viable and to be able to find its own market. Single player only gamers are gonna have to grow up and get over this elitist nonsense about "live service trash". It's always been a nonsense argument and will become even more nonsensical as SIE actually gets the gears moving on their live service push.
The only thing that's nonsensical is your post. L LakeOf9 is right, Sony has always been about SP games. I personally don't have an issue with live service titles, I like both but that doesn't mean Sony needs to stop communicating and not talk about some exciting stuff. They are doing horrible job at it. That is the main point here lol.

Top Bottom