• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Might Be Doing A Show Next Week

Will Sony Have A Show Next Week?

• Total voters

MarkMe2525

We need some excitement out of Sony's camp. I wonder what their next big tenpole release will be. If they do have a show, I imagine we will get some welcomed news about the new PS5 sku, and it's always exciting to see new hardware.

Keihart

Only if you have a sub 60 IQ.
nobody cares bfd GIF

Beechos

Let's show what your heavy hitters have been working on. I know it hasn't been long at all but it feels like sony is on a dry spell. After spiderman 2 I don't know what to expect. Sony has spoiled me.

Let's show what your heavy hitters have been working on. I know it hasn't been long at all but it feels like sony is on a dry spell. After spiderman 2 I don't know what to expect. Sony has spoiled me.
After Spiderman 2 is Wolverine and Death Stranding 2. Question is which one comes first or is it both in 2024?

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
After Spiderman 2 is Wolverine and Death Stranding 2. Question is which one comes first or is it both in 2024?
After Spider-Man 2 is Helldivers 2, Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, and Concord.

I have a gut feeling that Wolverine will be pushed to 2025, and Death Stranding 2 will launch as the big Q3/Q4 PS title.

There may also be a Twisted Metal release in between. And, possibly, an Astrobot game.

Ozzie666

Does Naughty Dog actually release something new this generation, or does it turn out to be a PS5/PS6 cross generation game, not counting PS5 remaster/re-releases. We jump on companies for announcing titles to soon (like UBISOFT, Medroid Prime 4), but it's been so quiet. I'm really starting to wonder. Do any of their studios have something close to showing? It's feeling a bit grim to be honest thankgod for Spider-man 2.

If I had to guess, we might see more of Capcom's Pragmata and Dragon Dogma 2.

[Sigma]

It would be great if they showed something other than Spider-Man 2 1st party wise because that showcase in the summer after taking the year off was some bullshit. But if it does happen new week(which i'm not expecting/holding out hope for), I expect it to be Spider-Man 2 lol.

Last edited:
Definitely need some more 1st party game announcements, particularly in the single player side.

Outside of that I’m curious about what Concord is and how Fairgame$ plays.

Sort of needs to be their TGS show as well with a decent PS+ chunk in there.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
A September State of Play. Whomever predicts that must be a mind reader. Who would had guessed?

Looking at PlayStation's history since it first began holding State of Play events, it seems all but guaranteed that a new presentation will be held at some point during this coming month. Dating back to 2019, a new State of Play event has happened every September for four consecutive years. In fact, in 2020 and 2021, Sony opted to hold larger PlayStation Showcase broadcasts during these windows to further spotlight its upcoming exclusives. Basically, it has become quite clear that Sony enjoys kicking off the fall with a State of Play, which means there's a very high chance that September 2023 will continue this trend once again.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That is according to Shinobi602 who used be on Gaf a while ago and is a very notable long time leaker and an individual who works in the industry or used to work.

"https://www.resetera.com/threads/pl...eighborhood-ot.755938/page-125#post-111722964

Markratos said: "The lack of communication from Sony at this point is sad."

shinobi602 replied: "Well, this week is over now."

Maybe the SoP that Grubb heard about will be next week."

What's your take Gaf? Sony has been quite lately, is it time? TGS is also around the corner.

Is Shinobi the guy (it was him or someone else but pretty sure it was him) who had claimed to have insider info in summer 2020 that Series X and PS5 "will release in Oct or Dec", but turned out they both launched in November?

Some insider.

There's going to be 1,000s of gaming industry people, plus all the people working in stores, logistics, media, advertising and marketing who already know these systems will launch in November since they all need to coordinate with each other and he couldnt get one person to give him an accurate date? lol

Last edited:

Robbinhood

Banned
What games are those? Ragnarok is just a big expansion with not much new going on. Returnal is a great roguelike experience with horror elements, but nothing that hasn't been done before or new. Demon's Souls is the best looking game visually, but it's a remake of a game from 2008. Ratchet and Clank is exactly what you expect. horizon Forbidden West has somewhat better visuals, but nothing groundbreaking.

I am not including 3rd party titles here strictly talking about first party and Sony only.
Funny way to downplay literally 5 great games. That's all people want, great games.

yurinka

Does Naughty Dog actually release something new this generation,
They already released Uncharted Legacy of Thieves Collection and TLOUP1 for PS5 and PC, plus the Uncharted movie and TLOU tv shows and theme park stuff. They are working on TLOU Online and at least a couple of SP games, which pretty likely are a new IP and TLOU3.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I'm still wondering if Little Devil Inside has been quietly cancelled. Would be a real shame if so.
True. The first showing looked fantastic, and I've been so hyped for it.

But it doesn't look it's coming through - despite Sony's best efforts and funding.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Does Naughty Dog actually release something new this generation, or does it turn out to be a PS5/PS6 cross generation game, not counting PS5 remaster/re-releases. We jump on companies for announcing titles to soon (like UBISOFT, Medroid Prime 4), but it's been so quiet. I'm really starting to wonder. Do any of their studios have something close to showing? It's feeling a bit grim to be honest thankgod for Spider-man 2.

If I had to guess, we might see more of Capcom's Pragmata and Dragon Dogma 2.
I think they will end up releasing 3 new games this generation:
  • TLOU P3
  • New IP
  • TLOU Online

This one has to come out swinging. The last one was poorly received and Xbox had an okay-good showing.

Nintendo are launching a console next year that’ll start eating their lunch. They can’t rely on getting games by default that Nintendo won’t get because that machines power will enable it to get ports of most or all of the big AAA games.

yurinka

I think Spider-Man 2 is October 2023, Wolverine will be November 2024 and Death Stranding 2 October-November 2025.

I also expect Concord, TLOU Online, Marathon and Cory's new IP to be huge Sony 2024-2025 games.

Last edited:

Woopah

They'll be a pre TGS SoP and Direct, so expect a good number of Japanese third party trailers and announcements.

Technicality, pure technicality, it would be like listing SMTV or Octopath Traveler as a Nintendo game. When people are asking for new Sony games, they are not asking for Rise of Ronin.
But as long as Nintendo or Sony publishing good game is studio ownership really important?

I mean, I don't remember anyone thinking that the original Spiderman wasn't a major Sony game, or that Smash Ultimate wasn't a major Nintendo game.

Elios83

We'll definetly get previews for Spiderman 2 with new footage.
It's also realistic to expect a meaty japanese focused SoP around TGS time (FF7 Rebirth, Death Stranding 2, Stellar Blade, Rise of Ronin).
And hardware news about new PS5 model (if it's launching this month).

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Is Shinobi the guy (it was him or someone else but pretty sure it was him) who had claimed to have insider info in summer 2020 that Series X and PS5 "will release in Oct or Dec", but turned out they both launched in November?

Some insider.

There's going to be 1,000s of gaming industry people, plus all the people working in stores, logistics, media, advertising and marketing who already know these systems will launch in November since they all need to coordinate with each other and he couldnt get one person to give him an accurate date? lol
I know people don’t want to hear this but it really is true but sometimes things change

Even when Ybarra was still with Xbox i heard things were going to happen in a few months and they never did.

Heard some games were in the pipeline and should be shown fairly soon and never were

No one bats 1.000 no matter how close they are to people and I know that just sounds like an excuse.

Its the ones who keep throwing stuff out there and hope some of it sticks and says see I am an insider that suck :)

Funny way to downplay literally 5 great games. That's all people want, great games.
Did you read what I said? I never downplayed them. Yeah, they're good/great games but there was nothing mind blowing about them. When we reviewed God of War Ragnarok we gave it a 10/10 and had played it 2 weeks ahead of time. Its a fantastic sequel objectively, but it wasn't doing anything new for the franchise and did not scream next gen. It was a very solid cross gen sequel. Learn to read dude.

Last edited:
I think Spider-Man 2 is October 2023, Wolverine will be November 2024 and Death Stranding 2 October-November 2025.

I also expect Concord, TLOU Online, Marathon and Cory's new IP to be huge Sony 2024-2025 games.
I don't think Sony would of announced Death Stranding 2 that early if it was coming 2025. Then again, they did announce Wolverine in 2021 and it's coming 2024 (that's an assumption) so go fucking figure.

It seems that Insomniac right now is the 1st party developer that's pumping out games at a steady base and carrying PS5. They already released Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart, and now are about to release Spiderman 2 with Wolverine coming next.

Regardless, these 2 titles for me personally will most likely be the reasons to own the system. I loved Death Stranding more than I thought I would. Actually, I thought I'd hated it until I played it. An M rated Wolverine is also a pipedream come true for many.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Do they need an event ? Tokyo game show and game awards still left this year to show off new stuff. Spider-Man 2 is this years final push which marketing will take care of.

Don’t get me wrong I’m all for it but it seems like it’d be a wet fart show.

I doubt death stranding 2 will be there, no wolverine, I’ve given up seeing anything from naughty dog this gen at all, and you’re likely to get more eyes at gameawards for a reveal like ghost of Tsushima 2.

FeastYoEyes

I remember a time when a Sony show meant anything was possible. Now a days, I expect to be disappointed. Hope to be proven wrong.

Do they need an event ? Tokyo game show and game awards still left this year to show off new stuff. Spider-Man 2 is this years final push which marketing will take care of.

I doubt death stranding 2 will be there, no wolverine, I’ve given up seeing anything from naughty dog this gen at all, and you’re likely to get more eyes at gameawards for a reveal like ghost of Tsushima 2.
Why are people so convinced that Ghost of Tsushima 2 exists? Was it ever officially confirmed or hinted at?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Why are people so convinced that Ghost of Tsushima 2 exists? Was it ever officially confirmed or hinted at?

What a bunch of idiots, why would you leak your next project via LinkedIn.

bitbydeath

Sony bailed out of TGS a few years back and this show took its place.

yurinka

It seems that Insomniac right now is the 1st party developer that's pumping out games at a steady base and carrying PS5. They already released Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart, and now are about to release Spiderman 2 with Wolverine coming next.
Insomniac had 3 or 4 full development teams since many, many years ago, while most other studios only have (or had in the previous gen) a single development team.

This is the only reason of why they released almost a game per year. Other studios like Guerrilla, SSM or ND are also growing to achieve that 3/4 teams size.

What a bunch of idiots, why would you leak your next project via LinkedIn.
They already hinted it in interviews and making of videos of the first game. Plus also the first one has been a huge hit, the biggest one in the studio history, so it was obvious that they were going to work on it.

Last edited:
I wonder if this one is going to be as disappointing as the last one. I was really close to buying a ps5 until the last one happened, at which time I decided not to. Serves me right for allowing myself to feel "hyped".

Top Bottom