• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony needs to release a new ps4 controller

Lothars

The PS4 is a loud console. "Jet engine" is obviously hyperbole, but it doesn't change the fact that the PS4 is louder than it should be. Loud enough that I can't play it at night at low volume on my TV and hear anything. Thank god for headphones.
Again it's not the case with everyone, Mine isn't very loud and I was playing MGS V on it last night. I really think it varies on the game because I've had friends comment on it when playing batman.

PS4 is my console of choice currently, but he's not that far off from being right. Not sure what is so trollish about that post. The console is loud. The layout is pretty dated. The thumbsticks and battery are objectively bad on the controller. The controller feels great in your hands, but I wouldn't hold it against anyone if the thumbsticks and battery life killed it for them. 2.4 GHz is literally junk for anyone in a large city. Sony has had the issue of skimping on the WiFi adapters since the PS3.
It's trollish because it's not fact, it's his opinion especially considering that I think the layout is great, it's heads and tails beyond any of the other consoles.

jax

Banned
You can get a DS4 for $24? Where?
I believe I grabbed mine when Sears had them on sale for Black Friday, but I see them go on sale all the time.

$60 is waaaay too much for the shit battery though, I'll agree. Seems like the lightbar and touchpad are unnecessary gimmicks (much like the SixAxis motion controls..)

They should just make a DS5 that is exactly the same design as the DS3 with a 5 hour battery.

wrowa

What happened to games automatically pausing anyway? Was doing MGS5's
chapter 1
final mission when suddenly my DS4 lost connection and the game just kept running. So annoying.

Again it's not the case with everyone, Mine isn't very loud and I was playing MGS V on it last night. I really think it varies on the game because I've had friends comment on it when playing batman.

It's trollish because it's not fact, it's his opinion especially considering that I think the layout is great, it's heads and tails beyond any of the other consoles.

Okay even if it is his opinion, it's not trollish. That's just how he feels, and a good amount feel that way I think. Plus, that is only one point. There really is no defending the bad thumbsticks, poor battery, and low quality WiFi adapter. The PS4 does run hotter for a lot of people because of poor silicon distribution/smaller enclosure, which leads to increased fan noise. If you don't have that issue, that's fine. Some people aren't even bothered by increased fan noise (I personally don't care, but I'd be lying if I said my PS4 was quiet), but the PS4 running hot is not some subjective thing.

Sure the layout is subjective, but that was only one thing...even then wouldn't you want folders? I have 20-25+ games and finding them is a hassle.

Agree, the DS4 built quality is beyond terrible, the materials are cheap and the battery life is a joke, it's the only gamepad of a next generation console that feels like a toy. And i know what i'm talking about, i'm on my third one.

DualShock 4 are like $24. Just buy another one and plug in the dead one when it dies. That or get up and exercise while your controller is charging. You don't need to play vidya for 5 hours straight. Nothing on the PS4 is even anywhere near that compelling.

Where are they $24? And you don't need to tell people how much they should spend playing games with their free time.

poodaddy

Gold Member
I keep the light on dim for all of my ds4s and it does seem to help a bit. I'd say I get around four hours out of a full charge, but I just put them back on the charger dock every time I turn off the console anyway so it's been a non issue for me. But the build quality is pretty bad as well, and I think that's a bigger problem honestly so yeah, New DS4 please.

Josh378

I voided my warranty(well warranty already expired) and put in 2200hz batteries in my PS4 controllers and replaced analog sticks with xbox sticks...12 hour controller battery life and never looked back. Beat decision i made.

Easily obtainable during a once a year sale on the worst shopping day of the year according to him.

Which means, it doesn't count. If someone wants to replace their controller right now because their current one is falling apart, they're not going to find it for $24. Maybe USED, but that's a gamble because the sticks tend to break down with use over time or the battery life gets worse.

Also, I was complaining about the battery life this weekend while playing MGS5. It sucks, and I'm using a brand new 20th Anniversary controller.

thefit

I really do wish they were $24 both of ours are completely destroyed, I have no idea how the kids continue to successfully game with them. I'm looking into repairing them and since that means I have to open them for the stick replacement I might replace the batteries with larger capacity ones. So that's an option for longer battery life.

DavidDesu

It's baffling that DS3 has such great battery life and the DS4 so poor. The lightbar is only some power efficient LEDs and wouldn't make that much of a dent in battery life. I think it might be the audio streaming? If the controller is constantly receiving a wireless audio stream even when you don't have headphones plugged in the might have something to do with it.

Anyone know about this?

hbkdx12

DualShock 4 are like $24. Just buy another one and plug in the dead one when it dies. That or get up and exercise while your controller is charging. You don't need to play vidya for 5 hours straight. Nothing on the PS4 is even anywhere near that compelling.

$60? The DS4 can be easily obtained for $25. I bought 3 last year with my PS4 all different colors for less than $80. The DS4 is the best Wireless controller on PC and I always keep all four charged every night, every time I've experienced this "problem" I just swipe the controller out with a new, 100% charged controller. It's easy.

If the controllers were actually $60 it wouldn't be an ideal solution but they're dirt cheap, yo!

say what?

I never seen a new DS4 for less than 50

Soupy

Banned
The battery life for the DualShock 4 is complete garbage if you keep headphones plugged into it. But I notice that my Xbox One controller dies a lot quicker when I have headphones plugged into it too.

Most of the time I just have my Astro A40 headset plugged in either to my gaming monitor's 3.5mm pass through or I just use the Astro A40 MixAmp. When doing this my DualShock 4 battery life is WAY better.

But I also have four DualShock 4 controllers and two dual controller charging stations, and if one starts to get low I just switch it out. :)

When you only use your PS4 for Netflix and you still have to be charging all the time you know the battery is a serious POS.

TyrantII

In my lifetime of electronics i have never owned something with such a pathetic battery life. I don't even understand how the controller even uses that much energy. It is seriously ruining my enjoyment with he console. Can't even play GTA for longer than 3 hours without it dying.

It doesn't. It has a 1000MaH battery in it. That's tiny.

May I suggest the battery mod posted here on GAF? I get 16-18 hours now.

Ibuki

Banned
I believe I grabbed mine when Sears had them on sale for Black Friday, but I see them go on sale all the time.

$60 is waaaay too much for the shit battery though, I'll agree. Seems like the lightbar and touchpad are unnecessary gimmicks (much like the SixAxis motion controls..)

They should just make a DS5 that is exactly the same design as the DS3 with a 5 hour battery.

So you got a one time deal on Black Friday from a dying retailer. Please don't act like it's common to get them for that price.

Mr-Joker

Banned

jax

Banned
So you got a one time deal on Black Friday from a dying retailer. Please don't act like it's common to get them for that price.
I mean, the PS4 has been out fer almost 2 years now. There have been several deals on controllers since it released. You guys just gotta be more quick on the deals, bro.

angrygnat

Charge whilst playing? Own two, charge one whilst playing?

It's what I do.
Yep. When I turn off my PS4 I put it in standby and let my controllers charge up. Didn't even know this was an issue anymore. Now the deteriorating thumb sticks? That's what I'm curious about. Have they fixed that yet?

nullpoynter

Uh..no. The design of the DS4 is much better than that of the DS3. Sure the battery life could be improved but I get much better than 3 hours. Also the touchpad works quite well in some games.

They should release one without the back light.

Seriously what was the point of the back light?

It's for the PS4 camera to track it. I'm assuming it will come more into play with Morpheus.

SURGEdude

It doesn't. It has a 1000MaH battery in it. That's tiny.

May I suggest the battery mod posted here on GAF? I get 16-18 hours now.

Can you point it out if you have the link handy. I wanna make sure I get a decent replacement battery since many of them have poor reviews.

It's not quite 3 hours, but it's not much better. I would get about 4-5 hours. It's still unacceptable though, compared to the 30 hours I get from the xbone controller.

SURGEdude

The battery life lasts 8 hrs and you can plug it in to charge it. If your play times last more than 8 hrs then that's your problem.

Lol. Gotta love this fanboy defending a design flaw by suggesting people who maybe only get to play occasionally and might choose to play more than the 5 hours (not 8) are some kind of losers. Some people only get to play a few times a month when kids are away or they aren't working. And getting 8 hours is almost impossible even with the lightbar on low and little to no vibration, speaker, or trackpad use. And add in headphones, not a chance to even hit 5. Give that controller a year and take 20% off any of those numbers as well.

yeah, it's really simple. Also I find gaming for long hours to be hazardous to my health.

I love the DS4 it's perfect for my gaming habits in every way.
Yeah that's true but you have to remember to plug it in every time you finish. Otherwise your controller may die mid session next time. It's something that's always on your mind with the ps4, and that hampers my enjoyment. Controller battery life is not something we should have to think about constantly.

With the xbone you can just toss your controller to the side after you finish or leave it on the nightstand and not worry about it.

Solobbos

I have the same problem with the wii u gamepad its very annoying having to change seating positions so I can charge and play hopefully when I get an extended battery that will fix my issue, I plan on getting a ps4 i really hope it isn't as bad.
Gamepad with the extended battery lasts longer than a DS4. I was playing MGS5, my gf was playing Woolly World. Both were picked from a charging cradle fully charged, my DS4 battery died first.

My DS4 is also 6 months fresher than my gamepad battery.

InSpectre

I think one of my controllers ran out of battery once since I got my PS4 at launch, but peoples experiences seem to vary.

mike4001_

The battery life lasts 8 hrs and you can plug it in to charge it. If your play times last more than 8 hrs then that's your problem.

That´s not really the point.

I also normally don´t talk longer than 10-15 min on the phone but I don´t want to plug-in my phone every time after I used it :)

thenexus6

My DS4 has been running down to one bar left on the battery really quickly lately. I've got a 20th anniversary controller coming in a few weeks to use however.

Its normally plugged in whenever I am not using it, so that might be damaging the battery in some way I am not sure. Coming up on two years of use now though.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I get maybe 2-3 hours out of the batteries on our DS4s. We have to have 4 of them (all with the same low battery life) and leave two charging at all times while we use the others. We use the docking station charging thing. Maybe that is the culprit?

I literally went through two controllers in 5 hours of playing rocket league yesterday.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I voided my warranty(well warranty already expired) and put in 2200hz batteries in my PS4 controllers and replaced analog sticks with xbox sticks...12 hour controller battery life and never looked back. Beat decision i made.

Those are some high frequency batteries.... lol.

Pretty sure you mean mAh which describes capacity.

Top Bottom