• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Online Entertainment has possibly confirmed a Sony VR headset

iceatcs

I have no idea of how a PS4 could power any VR enviroment, even if we went down to PS2/3 graphics... but I want to believe.

The games already looks better than PS3 from the same titles, as well run better too (1080p/60)
So there is not much of the problem for VR that only rendered half of screen for each eye.

PS4 is very powerful no matter how much you want to decide it.

DrZeus

Oh E3 will be glorious this year! The hype! The gifs!

Just confirm this thing Sony. We all know it's true :p.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
I have no idea of how a PS4 could power any VR enviroment, even if we went down to PS2/3 graphics... but I want to believe.

Rule of thumb:

Any game that can run at a locked 1080p@60fps on the PS3 can run in stereoscopic locked 1080p on the PS4 with power to spare.

Example: Wipeout HD on the PS3.

Of course they have one in the making. They showed off a headset a few years ago.

hmz-t2.jpg

Yeah I'm not exactly sure what part of the comment in OP discludes him just talking about the HMZ series.

This is reaching. People are really desperate for a separate gaming-version to be a thing but it has never been substantiated very well.

That thing has nothing to do with VR.

Cragvis

I was busy consuming a bit of VR headset news and got a little bit of smedley all over me.

I think we have known that sony is busy working on their own OR version, this only confirms it, which is good. I know id probably get one day 1.

orioto

Good Art™
Based on oculus impressions, if Sony can deliver a great headset with nice fov/response and some great screen (why not 2460x720 or 1080), and the PS4 output PS3 level of graphics at that rez in 60 fps (not reason it cannot), we would have amazing experiences. I mean that would mean something like the last of us in immersive VR with actually twice the framerate.. and maybe even a better AA. I think i would be ok with that.

The problem is more that they would have to port games or develop games specially for the VR, which won't have a giant park. They must prefer a solution with actual PS4 games in VR, but i don't realyl see how..
Still i'm sure when you see what you can do on a PS3, Sony can develop killer apps games for a VR add on for PS4.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Based on oculus impressions, if Sony can deliver a great headset with nice fov/response and some great screen (why not 2460x720 or 1080), and the PS4 output PS3 level of graphics at that rez in 60 fps (not reason it cannot), we would have amazing experiences. I mean that would mean something like the last of us in immersive VR with actually twice the framerate.. and maybe even a better AA. I think i would be ok with that.

The problem is more that they would have to port games or develop games specially for the VR, which won't have a giant park. They must prefer a solution with actual PS4 games in VR, but i don't realyl see how..
Still i'm sure when you see what you can do on a PS3, Sony can develop killer apps games for a VR add on for PS4.

Wouldn't it have to be putting out TLOU in 1080p twice at double the framerate? Is the PS4 really capable of rendering two TLOUs in 1080p at 2+ times the original game's framerate? Seems unlikely to me.

syko de4d

Good news, ok i have zero interest in VR on a console but this will definitely help to get even more games with VR support on PC.

Wouldn't it have to be putting out TLOU in 1080p twice at double the framerate? Is the PS4 really capable of rendering two TLOUs in 1080p at 2+ times the original game's framerate? Seems unlikely to me.
Oculus 1080p is 960*1080 per eye, which equates to the same amount of pixels as regualr 1080p HD.
Even if the requirements were full 1080p per eye, PS4 is 8x as much horsepower as PS3. So yeah, PS4 could do it

Vizzeh

Banned

No reason why specific VR games from Sony couldnt be semi-powered from the VR device itself with some sort of built in processing.

coldcrush

Neo Member
I hope people are now starting to believe in this thing and that it is not the HMZ version shown at CES, both are made by different divisions of Sony and are for different things,,,although I can see where the confusion will come, and sony will have a harder time marketing it because of this,. I would expect there to be great support from the ps4 indie community for this and some killer apps for more AAA games such as EVE valkyrie, and others we are not privvie to yet. I would expect something from epic that maybe supports this also.,...
I would guess at official announce at e3 and holiday release...
I really hope sony price it right because I am not sure if people will pay $500 for the Vr headset, then buy the ps4 camera (assuming it needs this for head tracking)
lets hope it gets bundled in cheap, or they do something clever and release a copy of driveclub with it as a package, or just take a hit on the price and make it really affordable,,,, I am guessing at a price point similar to Oculus, $300-400 but that still feels expensive to me, even though VR experience are like night and day compared to traditional gaming.

wildfire

Banned
Hmm, the problem I have potentially with such devices, is they are so anti-social. You are literally shutting yourself out from the world by sight and sound. While this is kind of the point, I can't help but feel it is a huge inhibitor to the potential such a device has, as many people will be put of like this. It's like the stigma of 3D glasses but ten fold.

I guess there is no way to know until they are more mass market, but I think they will be a very niche device from all manufacturers. People have been making the glasses TV's for over 10 years, and still most do not use them, or even know they exist.

That's not a good assessment of VR as it has been advertised. VR has been advertised as exploring worlds with higher levels of immersion but aside from literature and film no one talks about the social aspect. In the few medium this is addressed it is always advertised as a means to interact with people you couldn't physically travel to.

Sony's with EQNext is going to expand on their face tracking and emote software (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG6GK6Oo58c) It wouldn't surprise me if their VR apparatus will attempt to integrate this feature and more to convey body language.

epmode

"Possibly confirmed" threads are my new favorite threads.

I'm incredibly skeptical that a current-gen console solution could stand up to the Rift in any way but more VR is good for everyone.

VR could be a gamechanger on par with... with the invention of videogames, I suppose! Really exciting stuff.

Kinthalis

Banned
Oculus 1080p is 960*1080 per eye, which equates to the same amount of pixels as regualr 1080p HD.
Even if the requirements were full 1080p per eye, PS4 is 8x as much horsepower as PS3. So yeah, PS4 could do it

The oculus 1080p is NOT what Valve is targeting for a VR consumer diplay though. It's 2k. And no,a PS4 isn't going to power a 2K panel at 95 FPS on anything that looks remotely good.

epmode

The oculus 1080p is NOT what Valve is targeting for a VR consumer diplay though.

Valve isn't targeting anything for a consumer display because they will not be releasing a product. Their demo unit is a prototype to sell publishers and developers on the concept of VR.

The fact remains, though, that good VR requires serious hardware and current consoles will have to make significant compromises on the graphics front to compete with gaming PCs + Oculus.

kyser73

Valve isn't targeting anything for a consumer display because they will not be releasing a product. Their demo unit is a prototype to sell publishers and developers on the concept of VR.

The fact remains, though, that good VR requires serious hardware and current consoles will have to make significant compromises on the graphics front to compete with gaming PCs + Oculus.

What I've gleaned from the various VR threads is that the kind of demanding texture & other graphical niceties required to make things hyper-real in 2D don't really work in a VR environment, which would indicate that more stylised and possibly simpler art styles might be more suited than a beast like KZ:SF or The Order.

I would imagine something like Blow's The Witness, or something in the style of Rime or Journey would be within the PS4's capacity to manage 1080/60 (or higher framerate) in a VR headset.

Baby steps are going to make VR work, and if you want to get 'mainstream' audiences interested colourful Nintendo-esque environments will be preferable to dark, depressing hyper real FPSs.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Really curious, why do you think sony won't be up to the level.

I bet Sony could, because they can design further than oculus rift who seem only can take technical from the shelves. ie Sony can made a custom screen likewise non-flat, curve technical suitable screen.

Just a feeling. Mainly because the crystal cove proto was only just demonstrated, so the low persistence tech is new. The other key aspects of OR are fairly smile to emulate - Sony already has decent gyros in the Vita and DS4, playstation eye for positional tracking and continuous calibration etc. just that extra display step seems something currently unique to oculus and shows their desire to continue to push the envelope.

Just a feeling. Mainly because the crystal cove proto was only just demonstrated, so the low persistence tech is new. The other key aspects of OR are fairly smile to emulate - Sony already has decent gyros in the Vita and DS4, playstation eye for positional tracking and continuous calibration etc. just that extra display step seems something currently unique to oculus and shows their desire to continue to push the envelope.
How do you know they didn't get the idea from Sony, along with their fancy, new display? ;)

Top Bottom