• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony : Paris Games Week press conference dated

I REALLY hope a prototype video of the comes out one day. Really curious to see what it looked like.
Darkside was definitely an interesting concept. RPG mechanics, customization, vehicles, post apocalyptic open world...things just didn't come together, milestone reviews failed. Trying to get that action-melee combat working with guns wasn't easy.

I think God of War needs nearly a total redo at this stage.

That style of locked camera + Square Square Triangle gameplay wont fly now. It really should have changed with the shift from PS2 to 3. At this stage the entire combat system needs to be tossed out.

Story wise. Yeah. Of Course you go with a different mythology this time around.

As for Kratos. He shouldn't be the lead this go around. GOW3 basically made him the biggest villain of that games universe. If I was in charge I would have GOW4 be the story of a new hero who was a casualty of Kratos's destruction rising up and getting his revenge and ultimately killing him and taking his sport as the next God of War. Basically mirroring the events of the first game.
I disagree with the bolded. The fixes camera is great and really highlights the action.

Cory Barlog was by far the best GOW director of the lot, knowing he is at the helm has me incredibly excited about GOW 4 or whatever it will be. Kratos or not, they can't go for the same mythos again seeing how all the gods have been killed, Ascension suffered greatly because SSM simply ran out of gods to kill.

I think Kratos will still be there but somehow and for some reason, he is going to kill other gods. Also SSM are on a technical standpoint the best Sony have, GOW III was above 30fps and was the best looking game on the PS3. Their PS4 game will be the best looking released on the PS4, captain obvious shit but just another reason why I can't wait to see what they are up to.

Darkside was definitely an interesting concept. RPG mechanics, customization, vehicles, post apocalyptic open world...things just didn't come together, milestone reviews failed. Trying to get that action-melee combat working with guns wasn't easy.

That game must have been a total fuck up. Order 1886 released as did 3 Uncharted games so it's not like Sony have high standards in terms of output but blimey, Stig really shit the bed with that game.

Loudninja

I think God of War needs nearly a total redo at this stage.

That style of locked camera + Square Square Triangle gameplay wont fly now. It really should have changed with the shift from PS2 to 3. At this stage the entire combat system needs to be tossed out.

Story wise. Yeah. Of Course you go with a different mythology this time around.

As for Kratos. He shouldn't be the lead this go around. GOW3 basically made him the biggest villain of that games universe. If I was in charge I would have GOW4 be the story of a new hero who was a casualty of Kratos's destruction rising up and getting his revenge and ultimately killing him and taking his sport as the next God of War. Basically mirroring the events of the first game.
Then you want a new Ip.

Makes it sound like Devil's Third in a way. Thank god.

Any idea on how well Thieves in Time sold?

I absolutely love Sly Cooper but I'm not sure if it makes sense for the series to continue. I hope I'm wrong though - it's easily my favorite of Sony's "mascot" franchises.

Edit - Oh wait, I forgot about the movie! I could totally see a new game because of that.
I am not too sure. I would imagine the performance was fair. As you said though, with a moving coming, I think they want to give it the Ratchet and Clank video game/movie treatment.

A Sly Cooper with graphics on par with Ratchet and Clank and updated gameplay...*drool*

GeoramA

Thank god SSM is still around. A project failure that size would probably kill most dev studios.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
That game must have been a total fuck up. Order 1886 released as did 3 Uncharted games so it's not like Sony have high standards in terms of output but blimey, Stig really shit the bed with that game.
Yeah, the low standards of the Uncharted series. The critical and commercial success whose influence is still felt across the AAA industry.

Then you want a new Ip.

I think there is totally room for a game called God of War with the basic story of killing a bunch of mythical figures in the most brutal way possible still works.

You just got to modernise the rest of it.

The syndical part of me things SSM would just copy the Batman Arkham combat but make it more brutal but I hope they can come up with better ideas.

The game sounded really cool on paper. A shame it just didnt come together.

But now I wonder if there was room for another marquee PS4 post-post apocalypse game now that we have Destiny and Horizon.

I think Darkside was going for a bit more of a Mad Max feel so that would have helped with Max's revival.

Maybe its best not to think about what could have been.

As a big Playstation fan I didn't even know so many people LIKED Kratos at this point. The franchise needs a reboot badly, hopefully in an Egyptian setting.

Aside from some of the possible big games like Bend's, I'm really hyped for the small ones like Rime and Alienation. More information on games like Uncharted 4, Horizon, and Dreams would be awesome as well.

Shredderi

That is a fucking shame what it is. An exciting brand new IP from an extinquished developer for a brand new console gen. Makes a lot of sense. To see it fail after such a long dev time only to fall back to the same old is a goddamn tragedy. That is, if they're doing Kratos again which I think they will for maximum stability. I really hope that they have more creative ambition for the new GOW title than I think they do.

Boke1879

Cory Barlog was by far the best GOW director of the lot, knowing he is at the helm has me incredibly excited about GOW 4 or whatever it will be. Kratos or not, they can't go for the same mythos again seeing how all the gods have been killed, Ascension suffered greatly because SSM simply ran out of gods to kill.

I think Kratos will still be there but somehow and for some reason, he is going to kill other gods. Also SSM are on a technical standpoint the best Sony have, GOW III was above 30fps and was the best looking game on the PS3. Their PS4 game will be the best looking released on the PS4, captain obvious shit but just another reason why I can't wait to see what they are up to.

I think Quality is the wrong word here. The Order has great quality. It looks great, sounds great, Works great. It's just no particularly captivating. The story isn't anything to remember and while I enjoyed my time with it everything is just run of the mill.

That said SSM project just never came together. It just didn't work.

Think about MGS Rising. Kojipro had a vision but it just never panned out. Thus they outsourced it to Platinum.

Just based off GG's twitter I don't think we'll be seeing anything new on the Horizon front. Seems like they're just going to be showing the reveal demo again.

Honestly, that's fine by me. I mean it was just revealed earlier this year, I'd rather they spend their time working on the game itself than on a whole bunch of presser demos.

Boke1879

As a big Playstation fan I didn't even know so many people LIKED Kratos at this point. The franchise needs a reboot badly, hopefully in an Egyptian setting.

Aside from some of the possible big games like Bend's, I'm really hyped for the small ones like Rime and Alienation. More information on games like Uncharted 4, Horizon, and Dreams would be awesome as well.

People like GOW because it's fun, easy to get into and has great visuals. Kratos as a character doesn't matter much because his story is so simple. It's all about revenge. People aren't buying the games for him.

Wait, Shinobi, is that the first time we know as the cancelled IP being referred to as "Darkside" with post apocalyptic and vehicle elements? This is news to me. Thanks for the insight.

Hexa

TELL US EVERYTHING YOU KNOW!!!
Also, that sounds exactly what I wanted a Jak reboot to be like. xD

DieH@rd

Banned

mind-blown-o.gif

That is A LOT of previously unknown things.

As for the mix of melee and guns, funnily enough, that Space Marine game by Relic Games really managed to hit the sweet spot.

Is it possible it was canned partly because of Guerrilla Games' Horizon? I mean, if you take out "vehicles" this is pretty much exactly what Horizon is being billed as. I could see having two games that similar coming out of two of your major first party studios being unappealing.

That is a fucking shame what it is. An exciting brand new IP from an extinquished developer for a brand new console gen. Makes a lot of sense. To see it fail after such a long dev time only to fall back to the same old is a goddamn tragedy. That is, if they're doing Kratos again which I think they will for maximum stability. I really hope that they have more creative ambition for the new GOW title than I think they do.
Probably for the better, it wasn't up to par.

Also had a somewhat similar UI/HUD to Dead Space.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I think they should bring in a second playable character for the next GoW. Have Kratos partner up with Deimos in a Shaolin Monks like game. They would need a good reason to bring both these characters back so I'm hoping the script is tight.

Kolx

How about GOW outsourced to Platinum with a big budget while SSM can work on a new IP? GOW needed a combat overhaul and I'm not sure if SSM is capable of that. On the other hand SSM might be able to do much better with a new IP with a completely new ideas.

Is it possible it was canned partly because of Guerrilla Games' Horizon? I mean, if you take out "vehicles" this is pretty much exactly what Horizon is being billed as. I could see having two games that similar coming out of two of your major first party studios being unappealing.

There will defiantly be enough differences to excuse Sony to release both games. Sony badly needed an exclusive for 2014-15 and one-two year difference between the two is more than enough. I think as Shinobi said it's more of concept execution problem than similarity problem.

So...Darksiders?

I think Darkside was a nod to the games apocalypse which was I think I remember reading was that the earth stopped rotating and one side of the earth was permanently dark. The other permanently day so everyone was fighting over the habitable bits on the equator.

And was probably only a working title because yeah... Darksiders was a thing.

Edit. LOL someone made a thread. Jeez. This news has to have been a year old at this stage.

Vire

In all honestly, what's the point of Paris Games week when PSX is right around the corner?

Seems weird to me to have two events so close together.

bombshell

In all honestly, what's the point of Paris Games week when PSX is right around the corner?

Seems weird to me to have two events so close together.

Let's come back and give this a partial answer after Tuesday and a full answer after PSX. I'm just guessing here, but I think it's because they have games to show.

People like GOW because it's fun, easy to get into and has great visuals. Kratos as a character doesn't matter much because his story is so simple. It's all about revenge. People aren't buying the games for him.

I know why people like the games, I like them myself. But if it is going to have a pretty strong focus on story, Kratos can't be as unlikable as he is. It brings down the rest of the the game with such a boring character I and many others don't care about.

Vire

To take the spotlight away from the Halo 5 launch.

:p

Sounds about right...

Sony has really disappointed me this year, I feel like I have nothing to play this fall unless I get an Xbone since I don't give a shit about the annualized cookie cutter Assassins Creed's and Call of Duty's.

Here's hoping 2016 kills it.

Top Bottom