• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Permanently Banning PS4 Console

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So, how would EB test these things? Do they create a profile right there and connect to the internet? Judging by past experiences, they do not seem the most equipped for the technology evolving.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I'd say GS is more in the wrong here. I could understand if it was a private seller trying to grift away a borked PS4, but Gamestop should be aware this is a possibility with the systems they take back, and test for it. A huge retail chain selling their customers unusable products is inexcusable.

The weird part for me is the completely unintuitive error.

"You may have a temp or permanent ban, on either the console or the account"

Gee, that's helpful.

Theonik

Because preventing users from abusing chargebacks is pretty important. For all you know that person might have basically taken hundreds of dollars worth of games. If they could make a new account and start again it would be quite bad.

Also this is done so the original owner can't profit from this or lie to support. They need to be hard in cases such as this. It is EB Games responsibility to check systems for things like this, and ultimately the previous owner is quite shitty for trying to pass the system on too.

e: Mind as these systems become more complex, it is quite difficult to fully test used systems for faults especially if it's an online issue. That's why used system warranty exists for major retail.

Muzicfreq

Banned
People who buy preowned systems do buy new games. That benefits Sony.
Up until now most game consoles were heavily subsidized, so a console swapping hands for someone who would use it to buy games and all would be way better for them.

Their approach on this is really weird.
Not all the time

Really no reason for them to care who the new owner is.

Ask versizon if they care when you buy a cell phone that was tied to a past due account. It's done so that the previous owner can't profit off it.

It's the responsibility of the secondhand buyer/seller or store to make sure that the console isn't banned. Wouldn't buy from that shop again.

Really? You don't think Sony should care about the royalty income that it earns? Or the 30 percent cut it gets on digital sales? Or the PS+ membership?

Verizon shouldn't care about the 90 dollar plan you pay for each month?

The weird part for me is the completely unintuitive error.

"You may have a temp or permanent ban, on either the console or the account"

Gee, that's helpful.

As much as it would be nice to have specific info, things like this most companies leave it nebulous specifically to prevent circumventing it (even though there's usually a way to do it easily anyway). Spam blockers don't generally tell you how they work to prevent this, for example.

Also, I'm somewhat amused everyone keeps saying the console is bricked when it's not. It's still usable, just severely hampered. Frankly, whoever gets it next could probably call Sony and get it unbanned.

Still sucks, though. I only ever saw banned 360s when they were modified. I've never heard of Sony outright banning a console and it makes me wonder if that's really what it was or if it's something else.

BibiMaghoo

As has been mentioned this is to prevent the most serious offenders from just making a new account. A few years back I was victim to the same issue, buying a used 360 for my son in law, only to find out it was perma banned from Live and couldn't be returned. It's a shitty move that actually results in people having to buy new consoles, because that is what the banned person will do, it won't stop them from playing.

It's hilarious that people are trying to pin the blame on Sony instead of EB or the original owner, or suggest that this policy was made mainly to avoid second-hand purchases. You guys are a sad bunch.

It's hilarious that people are trying to pin the blame on Sony instead of EB or the original owner, or suggest that this policy was made mainly to avoid second-hand purchases. You guys are a sad bunch.

But EB swapped out the console for a different one no problem.

So sure, EB should have done more rigorous testing, but they took care of the issue.

Back to the blame on the original owner for doing something nefarious enough to get the system blocked.

Demoskinos

Wait they actually brick the console as in rendering it fully unusable? I thought they just banned consoles from connecting to PSN.

Wereroku

Wait they actually brick the console as in rendering it fully unusable? I thought they just banned consoles from connecting to PSN.

No it's just banned from PSN and the op is calling it bricked because he can't put a profile on it. However I am pretty sure you can create a guest account that can save games even without the network and I am pretty sure you can pull software and hardware updates still.

johnny956

No it's just banned from PSN and the op is calling it bricked because he can't put a profile on it. However I am pretty sure you can create a guest account that can save games even without the network and I am pretty sure you can pull software and hardware updates still.

Yea OP downloaded a system update which is how the banned was noticed so updates still work just no online access to games and PSN

Kamina

Golden Boy
Sony's unwillingness to revoke the PS4's ban is interesting though, given the fact that OP provided proof of purchasing it.

Duxxy3

Well, they can potentially make some money off of a pre-owned console if the new owner buys DLC or digital games, but that's not a sure thing. I imagine at this point they've got the PS4's bill of materials down to the point where they're guaranteed to make a double digit number of dollars on each console sold.

I have a pre-owned PS4 and have spent a few hundred just on digital games. If I bought a pre-owned system and it was banned, I would have returned it and never bought a PS4 again.

johnny956

I have a pre-owned PS4 and have spent a few hundred just on digital games. If I bought a pre-owned system and it was banned, I would have returned it and never bought a PS4 again.

That just seems crazy to me. If I buy anything used from any retailer and it doesn't work I'm going to be pissed at the retailer for selling me something that they clearly didn't test.

Quixzlizx

Sounds like EB Games should be making sure the console isn't banned before a) purchasing it, and b) selling it to another customer.

TalonJH

why brick a console? so that the person who might have made $1000 in fraudulent purchases can't use it. why not unlock it? so that the person who committed fraud can't then lie to get it unlocked. sony doesn't lose anything. eb games should have checked the system.

This pretty much.

Yeah this is my issue here. I get that EB probably wouldn't have tested it for that as everything ran fine until I tried a profile on it. It would be hard to find that when they refurbish the system I guess.

Just annoys me that they wouldn't even unlock it for us to use even with proof of purchase. Hell I bought 10 games with the console, half of which were new, and surely the long term use would mean more to Sony than the tiny amount they might have made on a new console purchase. Just so frustrating and not a great welcome for a new console owner in his 40s who doesn't quite get gaming yet as it is haha.

The truth is that there isn't any way for them to verify that you aren't the same person(or a friend) just getting their console unbanned. Banning the console is meant to stop the original user from getting anything out of it. That includes not being able to sell it. EB should have checked it before selling it. If they only banned the account, the user could have just created another. Unfortunately, they were able to sell it for gain.

That's not really what happened here. A person sold their already banned PS4 to EB. EB didn't check if it was banned. OP baught already banned console and can't use it because it was banned. They didn't take anything away fro OP. He/She just had to take it back and get one that wasnt banned and enter their account on that.

Backlogger

That's pretty extreme but I guess if issues are rampant enough it could be justified. Might be another reason though to not buy a used PS4 from someone you don't know and trust or that you can simply return it too.

Iorv3th

Could it have even been something other than chargebacks. Like account fraud (stealing other users login information and setting that console as primary to download their stuff) or tampering with the system?

I know Microsoft would ban 360 consoles that had been tampered with or the ones they sold where you paid monthly, if you didn't pay the console would be banned from xbox live with no way to unlock it.

joecanada

logic: "If I bought a dodge off of a used lot who never checked any credentials and it turned out to be stolen, I'd return it and never buy a dodge again. fuck Dodge".

SomTervo

So, how would EB test these things? Do they create a profile right there and connect to the internet? Judging by past experiences, they do not seem the most equipped for the technology evolving.

Usually they at least boot consoles up and try a game on them, right? Surely they would have fucking worked this out before re-sale???

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Usually they at least boot consoles up and try a game on them, right? Surely they would have fucking worked this out before re-sale???

Won't a game still work though on the console, in which they do test on trade ins?

For this, they would have to essentially connect these things to the internet every time, update them (if needed), and test with creating a profile, etc., all during the trade in process.

A lot of time/energy involved. Especially for a seemingly ultra rare instance. The original owner was blatantly wrong, EB was unintentionally wrong, it was swapped. End of story?

joecanada

Sony's unwillingness to revoke the PS4's ban is interesting though, given the fact that OP provided proof of purchasing it.

as someone else pointed out, you could easily have bought stolen goods or have just "sold" it to a friend .... they clearly want that particular console off the network and the user to not be able to use it. if that user sells it as is, "broken" then he is basically defrauding whoever he sold it to.

the goal is for sony to recoup some money if this person wants another console they would have to buy it. (or its outright stolen and should therefore be useless except to the original owner).

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Do you have any examples of such cases? You can mention cases where people have got hacked and such, although it seems that the problem is that its hard to find out if that actually happened or not, or what they actual cause for the hack was. Its really not that easy to know in every case what the real story is.

Despite the hacking stuff, there is in particular this:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1241575

TalonJH

Won't a game still work though on the console, in which they do test on trade ins?

For this, they would have to essentially connect these things to the internet every time, update them (if needed), and test with creating a profile, etc., all during the trade in process.

A lot of time/energy involved. Especially for a seemingly ultra rare instance. The original owner was blatantly wrong, EB was unintentionally wrong, it was swapped. End of story?

Places use to make you provide ID when re-selling so they could report you if stolen or find you if broken.

TalonJH

They no longer do this?

(I truly do not know. I have not traded things into EB in over a decade, and have not shopped there in 4 years.)

Hint
Sony

I honestly haven't been to a Game store in at least 3 years. One would hope so.

yeah. i dont understand the drama. just check the things you buy

Hint
Sony

I mean, I get it. If you buy something, you want it to work. And most people don't think of the logistics of things so it just seems like a no-brainer to them.

Synth

I find it fascinating that I've read through the thread up to now, with so many people indicating that this isn't on Sony, and that the blame lies partially with EB for not testing, and not a single person has suggested that the console may not in fact have been banned at the time they bought it.

One of the reasons a console ban is a bad idea in this situation, is that it can easily be premeditated. Someone can decide to get rid of their PS4, realise that they've recently made a few hundred dollars of digital purchases they can't sell, and so issue a charge back AFTER selling the console. EB is screwed, next buyer is screwed, and the fraudulent original owner is in the clear.

Accounts issuing fraudulent chargebacks should certainly be banned, but I don't agree that banning the console is worth the potential side effects. It's really not much of a deterrent.

joecanada

I find it fascinating that I've read through the thread up to now, with so many people indicating that this isn't on Sony, and that the blame lies partially with EB for not testing, and not a single person has suggested that the console may not in fact have been banned at the time they bought it.

One of the reasons a console ban is a bad idea in this situation, is that it can easily be premeditated. Someone can decide to get rid of their PS4, realise that they've recently made a few hundred dollars of digital purchases they can't sell, and so issue a charge back AFTER selling the console. EB is screwed, next buyer is screwed, and the fraudulent original owner is in the clear.

Accounts issuing fraudulent chargebacks should certainly be banned, but I don't agree that banning the console is worth the potential side effects. It's really not much of a deterrent.

if the person was actually a gamer, they would likely buy another console and perhaps another (see RROD 360). This is actually a secondary way to get your money back. this person may buy multiple consoles and games multiple times, although they may just as be likely to cheat on a new one again or defraud the system.

EB could still check that the system was factory reset or not tied to an account couldn't they? or maybe that would be impossible to actually verify the serial numbers and whatnot...

gioGAF

It's not shitty. It makes perfect sense. The last owner did something fraudulent. He/She probably used stolen funds to buy things from the store. The way I see it, Sony HAS to brick the console, otherwise the criminal gets to keep and use everything that was illegally bought on the console.

The store should have checked the console before buying it, but that is usually too time consuming for them. Better to replace it and toss it than to dedicate the resources to doing an in-depth check I guess...

Synth

if the person was actually a gamer, they would likely buy another console and perhaps another (see RROD 360). This is actually a secondary way to get your money back. this person may buy multiple consoles and games multiple times, although they may just as be likely to cheat on a new one again or defraud the system.

EB could still check that the system was factory reset or not tied to an account couldn't they? or maybe that would be impossible to actually verify the serial numbers and whatnot...

There's absolutely nothing EB could check that would protect them from chargebacks applied directly after the console is sold to them. If I was going to sell any of my consoles, I'd certainly factory reset them first...

Plus, if we're talking about a gamer that wants to continue playing within that ecosystem, the cheapest way for them to get back in would be the purchase of another used console. There wouldn't be any gain for Sony in this case, and the guilty party only pays the difference between the trade in value and the price of a used console. It's a poor deterrent in nearly any case, and does more harm than good. Voiding and not accepting the used method of payment should be enough would be the bigger inconvenience, as it couldn't be done with the main account, for risk of losing all previous purchases, and you couldn't realistically pull chargebacks infinitely for the same vendor, whereas replacing the console can be done as many times as needed.

Astral Dog

Disgusting, from both the previous owner and Sony.
Edit: wait how can you be in debt from your PS4, what kind of system they use?

Saintruski

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe Sony should work with EB, game stop, other verified resellers somehow via means of some code or online process to unlock sold consoles so they can resell them at least. Is there a chance the infringer could rebuy that EXACT same console somehow? I suppose, but it also is likely at that point that they are trying to buy a new/used unlocked ps4 anyways.

Megatron

So what should Sony do? Allow the seller to continue his so called chargeback fraud? Banning the console deters him of doing it again. Because most the profit he has made would have to go towards a new console. Obviously stupid EB games helped him out in this situation.

They should unban it when a bill of sale is shown showing them the console has a new owner.

Every single person they ban is just going to sell the console, so they are just screwing over future ps4 owners.

If the previous owner report the PS4 mail order was lost or the console was stolen off a delivery truck then I don't see any problem of banning it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They should unban it when a bill of sale is shown showing them the console has a new owner.

Every single person they ban is just going to sell the console, so they are just screwing over future ps4 owners.

It could be a stolen console for all the OP knows. Which would not constitute an un-ban, regardless of receipt. Apple does this as well with their devices.

And your next scenario will not be the case, because it was returned to EB, and now EB will be in contact with Sony on said console.

Megatron

Because the ban would have no point at all, it would be easy to abuse.

Imagine you did something wrong and got the console bricked; then you sell it to your friend and he shows the receipts to Sony so they unlock it; your friend returns your money and he returns your console; you play like nothing happened.

So what? People love to say that pirating isnt stealing because nothing was lost, so the same is true here. Sony lost nothing. Sony should ban only the account and accept no future charges from the offending credit cards. If they have to put up with a few repeat offenders hitting them with chargebacks, thats better than future customers buying these systems and returning them for xb1/NX's.

Kieli

Damn, I'm surprised there is no consumer protection to prevent corporations from messing with your product after you've purchased it from them. Even if you owe them money. If they want that money, they should pursue it through legal avenues.

Really no reason for them to care who the new owner is.

Ask versizon if they care when you buy a cell phone that was tied to a past due account. It's done so that the previous owner can't profit off it.

It's the responsibility of the secondhand buyer/seller or store to make sure that the console isn't banned. Wouldn't buy from that shop again.

They made it right, so I don't see why you wouldn't.

Top Bottom