• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Pictures making "Console Wars" movie featuring Nintendo and Sega

Movie ends with newcomer Sony helping up a bruised Sega before killing them with a PS2 and blaming the evil overload Nintendo for the deed.

Phediuk

It sold better overall. 49 million for the SNES and 29m for the Genesis. Everything else is just spin.

And I was talking about the value of the two libraries on today's collector's market. The SNES has more games that are expensive/sought-after today.

lol @ this revisionism. Why do people always want to marginalize Sega's success so much?

Genesis sold about 40m, give or take. The 29m figure is from 1994; Sega didn't stop making Genesis consoles until 1997, and then Majesco took over until 2000, and Tectoy sold several million MDs in Brazil too.

That leaves 37m Genesises sold outside Japan and 32m SNESes sold outside Japan.

AmyS

Whatever the final numbers actually were, Sega effectively ended Nintendo's complete iron grip monopoly of the console industry, for good.

AlucardGV

Banned
a console war movie?
KufmoAY.jpg

Do they need Nintendo's permission for this? I don't understand why they'd want to give them free advertising, or why Nintendo would allow a competitor to produce a movie featuring them.

Do they need Nintendo's permission for this? I don't understand why they'd want to give them free advertising, or why Nintendo would allow a competitor to produce a movie featuring them.

uh Sony Pictures is also making a movie about Apple and allowed the recent Ghostbusters games to be on Xbox 360 and wii.

LaserHawk

Nintendo portrayed as the villain: Strike 1
Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg in charge: Strike 2

All they need to do is put Jonah Hill in it and I will never EVER watch it. Already there is nothing I like about it that I've heard so far.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Synopsis:

Segas is now a american company. Well...

I like the sound of this if it's completely Sega-centric, and just take a place around the turn of the 90's. And yeah, Sega was an american enterprise. The Japanese devs turned out the games but the offices in america were pulling strings.

And about Nintendo not being the "villain": if you read half the maneuvers they pulled on so many companies back then, you'd root for another console-maker to take power away from them, too.

Tripon

Because it's a Sony Pictures movie, and they have never in the history of planet earth passed up a shot to have sony products in the movies they make.
Sony had a relationship with both Nintendo and sega before they entered the console market. They produced the sound chip for the SNES, and made the SEGA CD attachment for the Genesis. They also was set to produce the PlayStation add on for the SNES but that was obviously nixed.

jmizzal

Will the movie be about a bunch of gamers, some with Nintendo consoles and some with Sega consoles beefing? Or is it going to be like about the Studios themselves?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Will the movie be about a bunch of gamers, some with Nintendo consoles and some with Sega consoles beefing? Or is it going to be like about the Studios themselves?
Corporate offices in America, most likely. That's where "Genesis does what Nintendon't" came from, after all...

Kimosabae

Banned
If they knock this out go the park this could be one of the most brilliant business maneuvers ever. Despite mobile I can't help but feel the popularity of video games are on a decline.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
They have little to no hardcore fan base, so it's easier to kick a man when he's down and on the way out for good.

I'd rather make MS the bad guy.

but MS is American, so no way

maybe they could use Peter Moore though. he's English, thus qualifying as the typical asshole according to America

kharak

Neo Member
well, service games {se ga, get it?} was originally founded by two americans in hawaii...I think.

Not exactly. Sega was formed with merge between Service Games (who moved to Japan in 50's) and Rosen Enterprises (japanese company funding by an american) in 60's. So Sega is japanese company founded by americans.

sega's us branch is what really turned sega around (in the us and pal regions). the death of sega generally came from infighting (us vs japan) and lack of a clear vision.

I know more or less the history of sega and I kwon the importance of Tom Kalinske. But like v1oz said, his success only accept in US market. Say "led to a ruthless David-and-Goliath showdown with rival Nintendo" when Master System had simillar sales that Nes in PAL territory.... I'm afraid that the book will talk only about USA market and the rivality between Nintendo Japan and Sega America. O maybe not.

RAIDEN1

The supporting cast for this movie could be: 3DO, PC Engine, Atari and Neo Geo! as the 80's and 90's was effectively about the battle between Sega and Nintendo, the companies mentioned above were fighting it out just to be in "3rd"...as irrelevant as it was..

Still I don't get how the synopsis can be how Sega slayed the giant that is Nintendo..when ultimately Nintendo won the war in the end as they were still standing, while the beginning of the end for Sega in the hardware business was circa 1993/1994...sega bowed out in 2001...Nintendo left in the ring ready to fight head on the "newcomers" Sony and Nintendo.. it saw off the "competition" from other "wannabes" such as Atari, Neo Geo, and 3DO...

Nintendo survived..but now its facing its own slump...

RAIDEN1

"Nintendo left in the ring ready to fight head on the "newcomers" Sony and Nintendo"....mistake there I was meant to say "newcomers" Sony and Microsoft!

Sega was first to the market (American) with their console.

Sega-SG-1000-Console-Set.jpg

Of course, it was right about the time the industry was collapsing, so it died quickly.

Nintendo was second to the market (American) and revived it with the NES thanks to ROB's help.

Smash_Bros_Brawl_ROB.jpg

They had to convince people it was a robot that came with a game system before toy retailers bought it. Amazing stuff.

Einbroch

Banned
What was that bad comedy that involved a QA tester. I'm totally blanking on the rest, except I remember the genius in that movie was actually pretty funny.

Edit: Found it, Grandma's Boy.

After the final shot, the screen fades to black, and words appear:

THE END IS JUST THE START

PS1 loading screen fades in with PHWWWAAARRRWISSSSHHHZZZZZtinkletinkle sound.

Jamix012

Sega was first to the market (American) with their console.

Sega-SG-1000-Console-Set.jpg

Of course, it was right about the time the industry was collapsing, so it died quickly.

Nintendo was second to the market (American) and revived it with the NES thanks to ROB's help.

Smash_Bros_Brawl_ROB.jpg

They had to convince people it was a robot that came with a game system before toy retailers bought it. Amazing stuff.
The SG-1000 was never released in the US though.

Phediuk

People actually think this is going to focus on the Japanese side of things?

Obviously America will be the focus. There might be a token scene where some marketing executive has to go meet with his Japanese boss but that'll be about it. The war happened in America, not Japan. This is going to be about the American market and will focus on Americans.

I expect it to be similar in style to Moneyball, but replace baseball with video games.

cj_iwakura

I don't remember this happening.

'Revolutionized' is a stretch, but they did give Nintendo their first taste of real competition, which definitely spiced things up. Nintendo thought they were untouchable, the Genesis made them realize that wasn't the case.

Top Bottom