• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Pictures making "Console Wars" movie featuring Nintendo and Sega

jaypah

Because it's a Sony Pictures movie, and they have never in the history of planet earth passed up a shot to have sony products in the movies they make.

Ok, have a kid with a Discman or a Walkman, depending on how far they go back. I'd just like it if this was kept to the Nintendo Sega rivalry, if that's what it's supposed to be about. If they're retooling it to be about the battle of Nintendo and Sega along with the rise of the PlayStation then naturally I'd be fine with that. Guess I'm just hoping that it's about the industry during those days when I hunted down the latest EGM. Nostalgia, ya know?

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
So that's what SEGA asked Sony for the rights of making Shenmue 3 on PS4.

67037-Christian-Bale-oh-kiss-reactio-NZEo.gif

mothball

It feels like some of you are massively overestimating both Sony Pictures' influence on the movie and Sony Pictures' ties to SCE.

But I wouldn't know; I don't really watch movies.

jaypah

It feels like some of you are massively overestimating both Sony Pictures' influence on the movie and Sony Pictures' ties to SCE.

But I wouldn't know; I don't really watch movies.

Well, yeah. That's the other part of it. But a lot of gamers don't try to understand business. They think stuff like, "MS should deny Sony using Windows in their laptops" or "Sony should deny MS to use blu-ray". As if A) it was possible or B) they would even do that.

Isn't that what Nintendo is doing right now? Killing their American branch rather than Sony or Microsoft?

Sometimes decisions are made too quick and you end up being very wrong. I think Sega of America knew that the Saturn was a bad idea, but Sega of Japan pushed it. Developers hated it. Gamers hated it. Publishers hated it.

Then they pushed the Dreamcast, but Japan chose not to go with the DVD-ROM, as they thought it was too expensive to sell. Sony thought otherwise and BOOM, rest is history.

Nintendo's crisis is different. I think they simply over-estimated their causal gaming audience's dedication to new hardware. If they would have retained that audience then it would mean more third-party devs on board and things would be peachy-dandy. They're a company with a good amount of money, though they don't want to burn through it, I'm sure.

It will be interesting to see where they go from here, but I think they won't go the way of Sega, at least that won't happen if they can right the ship.

Idea.

Ken Kutaragi in a role like the dude from SHEILD in Iron Man.

3 or 4 times he pops up in the movie asking to talk to the head of Nintendo about a CD based console but is constantly getting blown off.

Then you have the post credits revival of a PlayStation prototype and Sony execs drawing up a 2 generation plan to kill Sega.

javac

how will there be modern sony product placement in a movie that takes place 20+ years ago

Mark Cerny: "Hey is it OK if I come in?"
Sony Guy: "Yeah please take a seat. Mind the mess on the desk"
Mark Cerny: "Whoa is this a blueprint for some kind of phone you've got here?"
Sony Guy: "Yup. I'm working on it but it's too advanced to be made today. Kaz said it'll be ready be first quarter 2014. We're calling it the Xperia Z2. Please visit our MWC booth"
Mark Cerny: "Who's Kaz?"
Sony Guy: "Don't know. But I feel he'll be of some importance down the line"

Mark Cerny: "I just quit my job at Sega. I'm working for you guys now."
Sony Guy 2: "Good. Get working on the PS4 right now"
Mark Cerny: "What's a PS4?"
Sony Guy 2: "No idea but I heard it'll be of some importance down the line. I have a Knack for this shit. Trust me. You don't want to be infamous do you? You're like a second son to me.
Mark Cerny: "But we just met at the Drive Club yesterday!"
Sony Guy 2: "It's like I've known you since 1886!"

Richie

I'm confused by the legal nature of this.

Is Sony at free will to depict these two currently operating companies as it pleases, without getting in touch with either of them?
Can either SEGA or Nintendo sue if they find the movie taints their image?

Haunted

Mark Cerny: "Hey is it OK if I come in?"
Sony Guy: "Yeah please take a seat. Mind the mess on the desk"
Mark Cerny: "Whoa is this a blueprint for some kind of phone you've got here?"
Sony Guy: "Yup. I'm working on it but it's too advanced to be made today. Kaz said it'll be ready be first quarter 2014. We're calling it the Xperia Z2. Please visit our MWC booth"
Mark Cerny: "Who's Kaz?"
Sony Guy: "Don't know. But I feel he'll be of some importance down the line"

Mark Cerny: "I just quit my job at Sega. I'm working for you guys now."
Sony Guy 2: "Good. Get working on the PS4 right now"
Mark Cerny: "What's a PS4?"
Sony Guy 2: "No idea but I heard it'll be of some importance down the line. I have a Knack for this shit. Trust me. You don't want to be infamous do you? You're like a second son to me.
Mark Cerny: "But we just met at the Drive Club yesterday!"
Sony Guy 2: "It's like I've known you since 1886!"
:lol :lol

I'm confused by the legal nature of this.

Is Sony at free will to depict these two currently operating companies as it pleases, without getting in touch with either of them?
Can either SEGA or Nintendo sue if they find the movie taints their image?

It's based on a book, just like The Social Network and Moneyball etc. This isn't exactly unusual...

daycru

My only hope is that they totally take the piss out those for whom this shit is a religion. I want to read the phrase, "ruined my childhood!"

Hmm. Rogen & Goldberg have done some great stuff in the past, but I'm not sure if I want them at the helm of this one. I want a Social Network-esque recollection of the fight - not some scrappy underdog story that takes liberties with the history.

Lynd7

I don't like framing the story behind SEGA and seemingly making Nintendo out to be the big bad. I'd prefer it to not take sides and explore them simply competing against each other.

Early days though, could be fun.

kasane

I don't like framing the story behind SEGA and seemingly making Nintendo out to be the big bad. I'd prefer it to not take sides and explore them simply competing against each other.

Early days though, could be fun.

But nintendo was really bad during the era where they were dominating. They bullied everybody.

Novoitus

Banned
Sony making a movie about Sega, and they make it sound like Nintendo's the bad guy?

I... don't know what to think.

nintendo is the bad guy

and I like how people are saying these two have had "terrible ventures" in filmography while bringing up two successful (financially and critically acclaimed) movies.

I would lose it if they whitewash it completely. Like none or little Asian presence or anything about Japan.

I agree. If it's about Japan, they really need to make sure they don't get a bunch of middle-aged white men to play every single role.

And if it's not about Japan, they BETTER make it about Japan because that's where Nintendo and Sega made all of the key decisions and backroom deals, minus the relative independence of Nintendo of America / Sega of America.

I thought they wrote/directed/etc Superbad/Knocked Up together?

Nope! They directed neither, and only wrote Superbad. If you are gonna try and bait trolls by making sweeping generalizations about more-or-less universally acclaimed movies, you better make sure your information is correct.

Ending leaked:

"I dunno, man. Nintendo's just too strong. We had a hell of a run, though, didn't we?"

"Yeah, man. Hell of a run."

(shot of two buds sitting on a porch watching the sun set)

"Hey, you think anybody's ever gonna beat 'em?"

"Nah, who could ever compete with those guys?"

Zoom out as the music builds, all the way out to orbit, Earth spins, zoom into Japan

Down to street level, violins speeding up now, the camera zooms past the shops and people into a warehouse, through the window, down to the first Sony Playstations (tm) rolling down the assembly line.

CONSOLE WARS
Hahahahahahah awesome!!!!

Lynd7

But nintendo was really bad during the era where they were dominating. They bullied everybody.

I guess. I suppose I would just not want to see their big accomplishments glossed over or not gone into.

That may have to wait for a Nintendo centric movie though..

The Intimidation Tactics of Nintendo.

To summarize, during that dominant era:-

1 They fucked over consumers with price manipulation and fixing tactics.

2. They were investigated by the US Attorney Generals from all 50 states for the aforementioned price fixing, and had to settle in the end.

3. They fucked over their competitors and participating retailers by engineering game/inventory shortages and cut loose retailers who refused to play ball with them.

4. They fucked over third parties licensees with the lock out chip in the NES through specific contracts that forbade them from developing games for any other competing home platform.

Never again.

From the Amazon page:

"It’s the story of how a humble family man, with an extraordinary imagination and a gift for turning problems into competitive advantages, inspired a team of underdogs to slay a giant and, as a result, birth a $60 billion dollar industry."

Sure, yeah. Go with that.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
In fact, wasn't it Nintendo that single-handedly revived the industry after Atari nuked it?

Yes, in 1985. But it was Sega that provided real competition and created the console industry as we know it by introducing the Genesis. Various Nintendo employees of the era have stated that Nintendo basically had no intention of introducing a more powerful system while the NES continued to be the juggernaut it was, but the introduction and success of the Genesis began the inter-company race that continues to this day.

Sega's tremendous miscalculation of the Saturn ends up making the Genesis/SNES war seem like a fluke on Sega's part, but their approach was really pretty brilliant. It was probably the most evenly matched console generation, with no clear winner really declared to this day. Sega had absolutely no business gaining even that much traction against Nintendo, but found ways to take advantage of several blind spots in Nintendo's approach to the industry. Equally as interesting is examining how well Nintendo responded to the challenge, which is a pretty stark contrast to the current state of the company.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Does it end like Beethoven with Dreamcast's arm dropping just as lightning strikes? It should have a Dark Knight Returns twist of Nintendo walking away from SEGA's grave, only to hear a faint heartbeat from beneath the Earth. Nintendo then winks, and walks away.

Rehynn

Sega's tremendous miscalculation of the Saturn ends up making the Genesis/SNES war seem like a fluke on Sega's part, but their approach was really pretty brilliant. It was probably the most evenly matched console generation, with no clear winner really declared to this day. Sega had absolutely no business gaining even that much traction against Nintendo, but found ways to take advantage of several blind spots in Nintendo's approach to the industry. Equally as interesting is examining how well Nintendo responded to the challenge, which is a pretty stark contrast to the current state of the company.

Yeah, right. Except the SNES sold better, and has a library that is still much more valuable.

Don't get why people are suddenly acting like Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg make shitty movies. It might not turn out to be what you want (a hardcore Social Network style drama or something), but these guys have a good track record.

Shadoken

Yeah, right. Except the SNES sold better, and has a library that is still much more valuable.

In like 2 regions , and which game library is better is totally based on what genres you prefer.

Sega made a pretty big impact in the world with the Genesis , ultimately leading to more mature titles entering the market.

Could be pretty good. I thought This Is the End was hilarious.

Ug.... I thought This is the End could've been hilarious, and certain scenes during it were, but they were too infrequent and between too many ridiculously long scenes about penis humor, penis humor which wasn't even the least bit funny. Sorry, but a demon with a 3' long member raping someone isn't my idea of comedy. Those guys need to stop dropping acid or fondling each other or whatever it is they do when writing screen plays.

Top Bottom