• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Pictures making "Console Wars" movie featuring Nintendo and Sega

"It’s the story of how a humble family man, with an extraordinary imagination and a gift for turning problems into competitive advantages, inspired a team of underdogs to slay a giant and, as a result, birth a $60 billion dollar industry."

Always love underdog stories.

I don't know why they decided to make a movie on it though.

Rehynn

In like 2 regions , and which game library is better is totally based on what genres you prefer.

Sega made a pretty big impact in the world with the Genesis , ultimately leading to more mature titles entering the market.

It sold better overall. 49 million for the SNES and 29m for the Genesis. Everything else is just spin.

And I was talking about the value of the two libraries on today's collector's market. The SNES has more games that are expensive/sought-after today.

kharak

Neo Member
Synopsis:

Following the success of The Accidental Billionaires and Moneyball comes Console Wars—a mesmerizing, behind-the-scenes business thriller that chronicles how Sega, a small, scrappy gaming company led by an unlikely visionary and a team of rebels, took on the juggernaut Nintendo and revolutionized the video game industry.

In 1990, Nintendo had a virtual monopoly on the video game industry. Sega, on the other hand, was just a faltering arcade company with big aspirations and even bigger personalities. But that would all change with the arrival of Tom Kalinske, a man who knew nothing about videogames and everything about fighting uphill battles. His unconventional tactics, combined with the blood, sweat and bold ideas of his renegade employees, transformed Sega and eventually led to a ruthless David-and-Goliath showdown with rival Nintendo.

The battle was vicious, relentless, and highly profitable, eventually sparking a global corporate war that would be fought on several fronts: from living rooms and schoolyards to boardrooms and Congress. It was a once-in-a-lifetime, no-holds-barred conflict that pitted brother against brother, kid against adult, Sonic against Mario, and the US against Japan.

Based on over two hundred interviews with former Sega and Nintendo employees, Console Wars is the underdog tale of how Kalinske miraculously turned an industry punchline into a market leader. It’s the story of how a humble family man, with an extraordinary imagination and a gift for turning problems into competitive advantages, inspired a team of underdogs to slay a giant and, as a result, birth a $60 billion dollar industry.

Segas is now a american company. Well...

Bishop89

Interested slightly only because im expecting laughs.

crash+bandicoot+playstation+vs+nintendo+commercial.PNG

AniHawk

Synopsis:

sega's us branch is what really turned sega around (in the us and pal regions). the death of sega generally came from infighting (us vs japan) and lack of a clear vision.

kalinske did a tremendous job at making sega a thing for a few years, but we're talking a blip on the map in the grand scheme of things, especially once sony entered the race.

v1oz

But why make Nintendo the bad guy? Nintendo saved the video game industry from collapse. And created the very business model that Sega and Sony all used successfully.

danwarb

But why make Nintendo the bad guy? Nintendo saved the video game industry from collapse. And created the very business model that Sega and Sony all used successfully.

Was it not SEGA who eased up (and introduced age ratings?), while Nintendo went about threatening 3rd parties for exclusivity and whatnot?

v1oz

sega's us branch is what really turned sega around (in the us and pal regions). the death of sega generally came from infighting (us vs japan) and lack of a clear vision.

kalinske did a tremendous job at making sega a thing for a few years, but we're talking a blip on the map in the grand scheme of things, especially once sony entered the race.

I beg to differ. There was no turn around for Sega in Europe based on the US branch making things happen. Sega were always market leader in Europe from the start. It's in America where they failed to make any impact early on because of the popularity of Nintendo.

Before Kalinske even joined Sega - the Sega Mastersystem was market leader in Europe out selling the NES. And the Mega Drive just continued on from the success of the Mastersystem by out selling the SNES. Throughout the 80's and 90's Sega were just generally more popular in Europe than Nintendo especially in playgrounds and in mind share.

After Sega downhill, Europe became Sony land. The only time when Nintendo has been market leader in Europe was with the Wii.

v1oz

Was it not SEGA who eased up (and introduced age ratings?), while Nintendo went about threatening 3rd parties for exclusivity and whatnot?

Nintendo didn't threaten 3rd parties for exclusivity. In fact, in an effort to limit shovelware, they limited the number of new games that each publisher could release on their platforms. Which pretty much forced publishers to release games on other platforms in order to increase revenues.

Nintendo didn't censor games in Japan. It's only their US branch which censored games of blood and religious imagery.

As for age ratings Nintendo were a founder member of the ESRB. Sega had their own age rating system which was not very successful and not adopted industry-wide which is why it died out. And as soon as the ratings system became standardized Nintendo stopped censoring games like MK.

redhood56

Banned
Did Seth Rogan direct 50/50 with the other guy? Because I really liked that movie, Seth did serious movies surprisingly well.

AmyS

No doubt "Console Wars" will take many liberties.

speaking of that famous console war, Sega attacked the NES first, not the SNES.

Before Sega did Blast Processing (1991) and before Genesis Does What Nintendon't (1990), there was
The Maker (1989).

Sega's first attack on Nintendo where they showed the nation's children in a state of terrible boredom playing NES games, and, tried to leverage America's sense of religion.

"And so it was, late in the 20th century, that a pox fell upon the land"

"a plague of homevideos that were limited in intelligence"

"a terminal boredom swept the countryside"

"The Maker looked down"

"He was not pleased by what he saw"

(Earthquake)

"And so it was, he brought forth, Genesis'

(full-length commercial, you'll have to turn your volume all the way up)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1OiItVnEuQ

(shorter commercial in much better quality)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgT1BotK3v0

MYE

"It’s the story of how a humble family man, with an extraordinary imagination and a gift for turning problems into competitive advantages, inspired a team of underdogs to slay a giant"

1126.gif

Hazelhurst

So this is how Sony recoups their flailing movie business. Bring the video game business into it. Literally.
There's a good chance Sony wins the Best Picture of the year with American Hustle. Also, Spider-Man 2 will easily gross $1 Billion, at worldwide box office, this Summer.

Saved it. Then ruled it with an iron fist for as long as they could.

You couldn't even call it a benevolent dictatorship.

There'll be no whitewashing of history, at least in the documentary.

Nvzman

I'm calling it, at the end SEGA gets killed off by a white PS1 while Nintendo becomes too damaged for repair.
Then "Greatness Awaits" pops up on the screen and it becomes a commercial for the PS4.

vpance

Ug.... I thought This is the End could've been hilarious, and certain scenes during it were, but they were too infrequent and between too many ridiculously long scenes about penis humor, penis humor which wasn't even the least bit funny. Sorry, but a demon with a 3' long member raping someone isn't my idea of comedy. Those guys need to stop dropping acid or fondling each other or whatever it is they do when writing screen plays.

/Shrugs. Different strokes for different folks.

The guy behind this made a film about statistical analysis in baseball into an Oscar nominated film that almost got Jonah Hill hardware. Then a film about building a social network website that was also nominated for best picture.

This subject has as much or more human drama than the other topics. Give it a minute, it could be fantastic.

I mean, some of you think that they're making Pineapple Express - The Video Game Movie or something. You may all be insane.

Toad.T

Banned
So... is NEC/TTI going to be portrayed as the derpy comic relief that does pot or something else degrading? Or are they just going to be ignored?

The guy behind this made a film about statistical analysis in baseball into an Oscar nominated film that almost got Jonah Hill hardware. Then a film about building a social network website that was also nominated for best picture.

This subject has as much or more human drama than the other topics. Give it a minute, it could be fantastic.

I mean, some of you think that they're making Pineapple Express - The Video Game Movie or something. You may all be insane.
My concern is that the movie summary seems pretty revisionist.

Edit: Oh shit since when am I member? Hot damn.

wsippel

Banned
Synopsis:

Not to mention they were never an underdog. Established in 1940, part of Viacom in the late 60s and early 70s, one of the biggest players in the arcade scene in the early 80s - I believe they were actually bigger than Nintendo in 1982 right before they entered the console market.

Eggbok

Would love to see Sony make a movie called, "Return of the King". It starts out with Jack Tretton walking backstage, then he walks onstage @ E3 and tells everyone PS4 supports used games and everyone goes wild hehe. :p

MYE

They have little to no hardcore fan base, so it's easier to kick a man when he's down and on the way out for good.

I'd rather make MS the bad guy.

ummm, I'm pretty sure they are still capable of generating the most emotional, vocal response from the "community", out of all current three players.
Nintendo has more emotional brand attachement by sheer number of years in activity than Sony or Microsoft.

Also, on the way out? lol

I'm fucking hyped for this one, man.

Personally I hope it's a comedy. But that might be better served for the sequel (if they're going by console generations).

And they just HAVE to have two dipshit idiot fanboys in this recreating the most asinine arguments in public spaces, that's just how you gotta do it.

EDIT: Also that guy might be writing it but look at who's directing it. Seth Rogan? The guys behind Superbad, Knocked Up and Zack & Miri? Even if it has drama, it's going to be at least a comedy-drama going off that alone.

MYE

So it's a complete fabrication and not about Nintendo and Sega at all?

I hear in the end Cerny drops from the clouds inside a flying tub to take all the Knack and Naughty Dog fans to Havenstantion 4.
Everyone else is left to rot in a puddle of piss and shit for upsetting our one, true gaming god.

Drums and horns soundtrack by Hans Zimmer to lure in the Nolanites.

khaaan

The movie ends with some Sega numbers coming in, they've made a huge dent to Nintendo and it's nothing but smiles. The credits roll and as they fade the camera pans into a meeting room. A hopeful and smiling man sitting in front of a jury of Nintendo executives

"I'm sorry Ken, this project has no potential. We will not be needing your services"

The look on poor Kens face collapses into hurt and sadness. The Nintendo execs leave for another meeting and allow Ken to collect his things. As a broken Ken leaves the building he passes by another meeting room, he glances in to see the same execs laughing and shaking hands with someone from Phillips. The camera focuses back to Ken, on his face is nothing but rage.

Shadoken

It sold better overall. 49 million for the SNES and 29m for the Genesis. Everything else is just spin.

And I was talking about the value of the two libraries on today's collector's market. The SNES has more games that are expensive/sought-after today.

29m number was in 1994. Genesis sold 2 years more , plus that's such a low number for how big the console was. Wiki states 40m.

Top Bottom